Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember staring open mouthed at the TV wondering how humanity could do something so... Beautiful.

Those sleek lines, that perfect marriage of form, function and raw power. Such a perfect exemplar of German engineering. I knew I had to have one when I grew up.

And that OP is the first time I ever saw the Porsche 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'd listen to Amber pretty all summer one year. That's my 3/11 story.

Now lemme tell you my 2/11 story. It all started about...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I've told my story on here a couple of times, but it's pretty much the "worst timing" story for anyone in America on 9/11 besides maybe the people who went to work in the WTC that day.

I was a major gently caress up in high school, so to have any prospects for the future I joined the Marines in 2001. I thought I'd do whatever it was Marines did in peace time, build schools in third world countries or something. I don't know, I was young and dumb. I signed the contract in August 2001 with a ship to boot camp date of January 1st, 2002. Figured I'd go to community college and get some extra credits, get myself a meritorious rank.

Well, sitting in my college common area watching TV, knowing I was joining the military in a few months and no way out of it and all of a sudden God drat WW3 is erupting on the television. A couple years later I was invading Iraq for some unrelated reason I think.

They seriously should have let me opt out, like "Hey buddy, I know you signed up for the military but there's a for real war now, still in?"

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I was driving around in my beat to poo poo van running errands all day for my job in a pawn shop. My boner was growing harder as I listened to the news on the radio as I drove around

My mum was flying back to NZ from London that day, she was in the air when it happened, but luckily went via Singapore so made it just fine. When I got to the airport to pick her up the arrivals hall was set up like a movie theatre with a bank of TVs showing the news and it felt kinda exciting like a shared experience or whatever

I was surprised that the US was surprised that it happened, like wtf do you expect when you bomb the poo poo out of people all the time

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Grem posted:

I've told my story on here a couple of times, but it's pretty much the "worst timing" story for anyone in America on 9/11 besides maybe the people who went to work in the WTC that day.

I was a major gently caress up in high school, so to have any prospects for the future I joined the Marines in 2001. I thought I'd do whatever it was Marines did in peace time, build schools in third world countries or something. I don't know, I was young and dumb. I signed the contract in August 2001 with a ship to boot camp date of January 1st, 2002. Figured I'd go to community college and get some extra credits, get myself a meritorious rank.

Well, sitting in my college common area watching TV, knowing I was joining the military in a few months and no way out of it and all of a sudden God drat WW3 is erupting on the television. A couple years later I was invading Iraq for some unrelated reason I think.

They seriously should have let me opt out, like "Hey buddy, I know you signed up for the military but there's a for real war now, still in?"

That sucks bro hope it wasnt too rough for you

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
That was the first time I spent an entire day in an internet cafe, the day we learned that international politics and pendulums had something in common.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54dzkWL6hmI

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I was home sick from school with pneumonia in bed watching TV and it came on pretty much every channel so thats how I found out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was watching the Disney Tarzan tv show and was pissed that some news story interrupted my cartoons.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Get up, get get get down, nine one one is a joke in your town.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Grem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After dealing with a long day of 9/11 and high school I got home, logged onto our 24kbps modem to an AT&T connection line an hour away that gave me a pop-up ad to use

Immediately logged onto Diablo 2 and said across multiple channels that the attacks was an inside job

Look where I'm at today!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I, a European, had finally gathered the courage to start putting the moves on the American girl at our school just that very day, and it just felt too awkward to follow up on it over the next days so nothing ever came of it. Although in retrospect, the way I'd gone about it, that would have been the outcome either way.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was a 21 year old insomniac living on the west coast of Canada and hadn't gone to sleep as of 6am Pacific. Had CNN on since it was one of the few channels with new content at that hour. I remember them talking about the first tower being hit and everyone assuming it was an accident. Then the second one hit live and my adrenaline skyrocketed. I didn't sleep that morning at all and was glued to the tv all day. I knew it meant war with Bush Jr in charge, just not with who yet.

I remember my dad and I trying to figure out if the towers would collapse before he went to work. My dad renounced his US citizenship in the 60s because of how hosed poo poo was back then, and little did we know we were heading for another two decades of cultural turbulence.

There was a ton of confusion and miscommunication in the following hours, especially about DC. I remember people saying the White House and Capitol got hit etc. I was trying to explain to a Norwegian friend on ICQ why this was such a big deal and was probably going to result in WW3.

I visited the 9/11 memorial/museum in Manhattan this past Fall. While the intense emotion had faded for me (I saw it as inevitable blowback for America bombing the poo poo out of the world), a lady beside me broke down in tears while looking at the fountain.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I was in my NYC high school. Heard something about planes flying into buildings towards the end of first period from a kid with braids named Angel. He was breaking rules and listening to the radio with an earbud.

Second period was nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone had an attitude of "Surely it was a small Cessena, there's no way it'd be an airliner."

Third period we had a TV in the room because it was supposed to be a movie day. The only channel we could get was Telemundo. We watched the towers fall en español.

The school went into lockdown. Then thousands of kids stormed the doors saying you cannot keep us here, we out.

Hung out with friends around school. Even teachers too because lots of people had no way to get home. All public transpo and bridges were closed.

Walked a couple miles home. I remember the giant arc of smoke stretching to infinity in the sky. Probably the largest thing I've ever seen.

Fighter jets were flying around and those are pretty goddamn loud at low altitudes.

Soon the smell rolled in. It was horrible and lingered for days.

Went on SA the next day and felt pretty bad about how much I was laughing over that lovely flash animation tribute with the looped yelling of falling stick figures.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i was wearing a snare drum in marching band. we rehearsed right before lunch. i remember saying "wow, they caught us with our pants down" and thinking it would be a good thing that we finally took a punch on the nose and realized we weren't invincible. i wish i had said something about the people dying or something but i was 16 and Punk

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I had just graduated college in 2001 right in the middle of the 2001 recession so I couldn't even land a job interview, like a lot of my classmates.

I finally got one, at loving Future Shop, but I figured a job is a job and the friends I was crashing with wanted me gone because 3 people in a tiny 1 bedroom was not supposed to be a long term thing, and moving back to my podunk little hometown was not an option.

So I spent the morning of 9/11 sitting on a friends couch eating oatmeal in a shirt and tie watching the towers fall live, then riding the bus to my interview where the wall of TVs at the back of the store were replaying the towers falling over and over again, and thought to myself 'the world is loving ending and I'm about to take a job at Future Shop'.

So I turned the job down and went home because gently caress that poo poo.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
8th grade, the principal came on the PA at like 10am and announced that planes crashed into skyscrapers in New York. Everyone was quiet for a long second, and then a kid in the back yelled out "I bet it was the Japs!"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I was in fifth grade and I get how everybody was in shock but in retrospect it was kind of hosed up to wheel in TVs to basically what seems like every classroom in the US including little kids. One of the flight crew on 175 used to babysit me and it wasn't until years later that I realized I saw him die live as the plane slammed into the South Tower on national TV. I still remember our teacher saying that this was a day that will change our world forever. Always stuck with me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was in the 8th grade and some kid starting running through the halls screaming "SOME IDIOT FLEW A PLANE INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!"

In my head I figured it was some little 2 person airplane or a glider or something, I don't know. But history class kept going for a few minutes and then we heard more screaming from the halls and our teacher finally turned on the TV. This was almost immediately after the first hit, so we were just staring in silence at the towers.

They kept us in school until lunch, but all the TVs were on in every room and I don't think any actual work was done. The buses all took us home after lunch but a lot of kids had already been picked up by their parents by this time.

My dad was working night shifts at the time and was at home watching the TV. He just goes "did they tell you kids what happened?". Then my mom ,who worked on the 29th floor of a building at the time, was sent home and was absolutely terrified we were going to see hundreds of buildings hit over the next few hours.

We watched a lot of news coverage, my dad went to work, and then my mom told us to go play some video games to take our minds off things.

I also remember going on fark.com and reading off "breaking news" to my mom about how many people had died, who might have done it, and what George W Bush was doing.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Saw it on the tv in the college student center. Went back to my dorm to pop a vhs into the vcr so I could look at the coverage later.

I'm a horrible person, but I found the whole ordeal amusing. It's obviously awful for all the people involved, but I was a thousand miles away.

People all around me lost their poo poo, crying and panicking, but I can't help but wonder how much of that was faked for attention. Everyone now has a distant cousin who died in the WTC for example.

To me it didn't feel any different than hearing that we had bombed some village in Iraq or something. People I don't agree with killing people I don't know over some poo poo that has nothing to do with me.

Honestly people should be surprised that we don't get attacked more frequently given the atrocities we have committed around the world. Like, I do still feel bad for the people directly and indirectly involved, but it felt like a "shocked Pikachu" moment. What else did you expect was going to happen?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Being European, I found it indistinguishable from any other televised disaster on the news and it didn't even register. Parents were pretty subdued/concerned about it at home, but life went on exactly as before for me. I only really realised it was a big deal from the reactions of those around me, but then again I was pretty young.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I Forgot.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I was in 10th grade and I remember that basically everyone was watching the news in the cafeteria or during class. Some students were melting down and crying. I didn't really care very much at the time and I still don't, but I might be a sociopath.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I was playing Quake when my room mate told the first plane hit, figured it was a Cessna or something and kept playing.

After the second one though I was glued to the TV all night, I needed to know which poor ME country the US was going to obliterate.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I was in 10th grade and I remember that basically everyone was watching the news in the cafeteria or during class. Some students were melting down and crying. I didn't really care very much at the time and I still don't, but I might be a sociopath.

hmmmm.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lol a guy put up a giant American flag and is alternating blasting the US national anthem and Born in the USA.

I live in Sweden

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
My dog and I were snoozing on the beach in the Caribbean. I woke up to everyone clustered around this little shack with a radio. That's all that was there. So we spent a good bit of time standing around that radio not saying a word. Then we got transport back to the town and I spent the rest of the day with my dog in my lap in some beachside bar watching it all unfold on TV. It was surreal.

Believe it or not, that same dog is still alive, and was sitting in my lap this morning when I was showing my son some videos of 9/11. I was like "drat. Remember when we did this in St John buddy?" Man that took me back.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was just finishing my dissertation on jet fuel and the properties of steel beams when I saw the news

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
I was attending college in Connecticut. When going to class I saw a lot of people crowding the aisles and TVs set up all over the place. I tought it was the finals of some big sports event I didnt know about so didnt pay attention. Our british physics teacher told us that an airplane crashed with the twin towers in NY but that science must continue so we had class while the rest of the school didnt. All other classes were cancelled and I went back home in a bad mood as I was supposed to receive a Lian Li case and the last parts I needed to assemble a new PC, thinking that UPS was going to stop delivering for the day. As I was watching the news I heard the doorbell and when I opened the door saw a UPS truck leaving and a bunch of boxes on the porch :). Spent the rest of the day setting up my new PC with a nice aluminium Lian Li case.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I was a freshman in high school and watched the 2nd plane hit in biology. My next class I had was math and the teacher said we had a lot of work to do so he's not turning on the tv

I was in JROTC so I just left the class and went down to the ROTC room to watch the news for the rest of the day.

I rode the bus in the afternoons and I lived on a air force base. The road to get into the base was packed with cement road blocks for miles with check pts every so often. It took like 2 hours to get the bus on the base to get home.

Edit: Living on a airforce base you get use to hearing planes coming and going and it was super erie cuz at the time there was a no fly zone pretty much all day and the sky was so quite.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 11, 2019

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I remember days later my Mom, who had never once shown us any of her political views, angrily telling my dad that "That moron Bush" was going to "start a war that would kill our kids". I was 14 and my brother was 12. So even back then my Mom knew what was up.

My dad bought one of those lovely little flags you put in your car window but then told us that he'd sneak us up to Canada if W brought back the draft. I'm still not sure of his exact feelings about 9/11 because he later played that Toby Keith "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" song constantly while also telling us that he'd basically constructed an underground railroad of friends that could get us or any of our friends up to Canada if a draft happened.

My godfather is from Lebanon and got fired from his job installing home security systems in October of 2001. The boss claimed it was due to the economy, but God knows all the middle class white people around us were buying security systems like crazy at the time. My godfather sued for racial discrimination and won easily, it owned and I remember we had a big party with his family to celebrate.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zooted heh posted:

I was a freshman in high school and watched the 2nd plane hit in biology. My next class I had was math and the teacher said we had a lot of work to do so he's not turning on the tv

Dang, my math teacher did the same exact thing. "I know there's a lot happening today, but we need to focus on math."

In gym class we all just kind of hung out on the bleachers, and my one friend just sighed and said "What a lovely birthday".

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 11, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was a middle schooler in a different country, it didn't matter lol.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
On September 11th, 2001, I woke up to the sound of my wife crying. I had just been fired from my tire mounting job the week before, so I had been staying up and waking up later than usual, and i was kind of out of it being up so early this morning. I stumbled into the living room to see what was wrong. She was sniffing and wimpering, not really sobbing, so I wasn't panicked, and besides, she had some mental health issues that would cause her to cry at nothing at all. My 11 month old daughter (who's now in her first year of college :corsair:) was sleeping in her swing chair, and I was relieved to find her okay. Just as I was about to ask my wife what the problem was, I saw the TV. We both sat there in silence for a minute until I got up to leave. She was upset I was leaving her at such a time, but I had to find a job. I drove to the place her uncle worked, a mylar balloon factory, and picked up an application.

I worked at the balloon factory for about two years. I cheated on my wife with a Mexican woman I met there.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

zooted heh posted:

I rode the bus in the afternoons and I lived on a air force base. The road to get into the base was packed with cement road blocks for miles with check pts every so often. It took like 2 hours to get the bus on the base to get home.

Edit: Living on a airforce base you get use to hearing planes coming and going and it was super erie cuz at the time there was a no fly zone pretty much all day and the sky was so quite.

NYC was like this too. The quietest the city has ever been were the hours and days after the attacks. Utterly surreal to not have planes flying overhead every few minutes. I lived close to airports too, so loud engine noises making you unable to hear the person sitting next to you was a common thing.

The roadblocks went up almost instantly. For months after, police precincts were blocked off. Not like at their walls, but any block or intersection that could be considered an entrance or egress. Utility areas like power stations were also blocked off and had police permanently stationed outside of them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they let everyone go home at like noon from my school and i enjoyed that aspect of 9/11

ive never forgotten

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

oh dope posted:

On September 11th, 2001, I woke up to the sound of my wife crying. I had just been fired from my tire mounting job the week before, so I had been staying up and waking up later than usual, and i was kind of out of it being up so early this morning. I stumbled into the living room to see what was wrong. She was sniffing and wimpering, not really sobbing, so I wasn't panicked, and besides, she had some mental health issues that would cause her to cry at nothing at all. My 11 month old daughter (who's now in her first year of college :corsair:) was sleeping in her swing chair, and I was relieved to find her okay. Just as I was about to ask my wife what the problem was, I saw the TV. We both sat there in silence for a minute until I got up to leave. She was upset I was leaving her at such a time, but I had to find a job. I drove to the place her uncle worked, a mylar balloon factory, and picked up an application.

I worked at the balloon factory for about two years. I cheated on my wife with a Mexican woman I met there.

This is like a Ramond carver short story

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

They opened up the auditorium to anyone who could get out of class and wanted to watch the news but Mr Kerbin insisted there was important calculus to do. Probably those bullshit limits you never use again after you learn to integrate.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

What I remember of the day is that the school decided to tell us as little as possible. The principal made an announcement that there had been an accident in New York but didnt explain. Our teacher made us sit for a moment of silence when none of us had any idea what were sitting in silence to commemorate. As parents rushed in to pick their children up, there were rumors that someone was attacking schools. My parents didnt try to explain what happened and instead we all sat around the TV. What I remember the most is the newscaster, who kept saying, Oh wow every time they replayed the footage of the towers coming down.

I have clearer memories of the cavalcade of ceremonies and memorials that followed. We had a mandatory assembly where we listened to a local country artist sing about the Twin Towers. Our annual Christmas pageant included a song about Santa being A real-life cousin of Uncle Sam / Dressed up in red, white and blue. There was a bake sale where you could buy three star cookies for $17.76 or a bag of brownies frosted in the style of a US flag. And then, of course, Bush was everywhere. He was reading to children, standing around in a leather jacket, hugging a woman whose father has died in the attack. He took on an importance second only to Jesus, despite me having only a vague idea of who he was.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was working a temp job in a factory. They let people go home if they wanted, and I did because my mom was flying to Cali. Every temp who went home was fired.