Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I’m still working on this thing. It's been 7 years. It’s getting closer than ever to running.

1995 Nissan 240SX. Used to be an auto.

Installed:
1994 Ford/Lincoln 4.6 32V V8. It’s been rebuilt, with a port and polish.
Continental oil pan/pickup - front sump. Slightly notched.

2007 Mustang GT 5 Speed (Tremec TR-3650, hydraulic slave cylinder)
Aluminum custom driveshaft from Coleman racing - http://www.colemanracing.com/Driveshaft-Aluminum-3-1310-P3854.aspx
ACT 14.4lb Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 clutch.
S14 Clutch pedal, master.
Yaris brake booster

255LPH fuel pump/sock
New fuel tank (old one sprung a leak)
Tien springs on Koni Yellows

Get the drat thing to fire:

Engine/drivetrain:
Finish fuel lines
Vacuum system/lines
Install O2 sensors / extend cabling as required
Make intake assembly
Install starter
Oil dipstick
Throttle cable bracket
Throttle cable connector
Extend TPS sensor wiring
Remove Ford anti-theft from the ECU
Fuel filter

Electrical:
Wire fuel pump
Starter relay
Momentary switch
ECU power
Fuel pump wiring

To get this thing driveable on the road:

Engine
Build an exhaust
Install radiator
Radiator hoses

Electrical:
Re-wire entire drat car.
New head light assemblies

Body:
Finish repair of driver’s side floorpan around the seat area
Re-fabricate radiator support

Install driver’s seat

Bleed brakes
Bleed clutch

Track ready:

Roll Fenders
Racing seat
Accusump
Tires
Font lug studs
Electric power steering
Z32 brakes/calipers installed
Cage when I can

It would be nice:
New paint!

Wrar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need some photos.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its only been 7 years?!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dang, I remember when you started on this. :corsair:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

Dang, I remember when you started on this. :corsair:

ditto. we're old.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A photo retrospective to today:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
And now, a bracket!

Its not done yet, but we're getting there. I can see why Binky has taken so long, brackets are time consuming. I've also reached out to an ebay seller to remove the security from the ECU.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 15, 2019

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am still at it. I have finished a very ugly throttle cable bracket. I will take pictures at some point when I remember to. I am working on retaining the cable to the throttle body now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I sent the ECU off to Florida to have the key security disabled. The guy stated he can probably get it to do whatever I need it to. Since I'm using it with basically the same engine it's way cheaper than a cheap standalone, even a Megasquirt.

While I was in Atlanta, and had to run about an hour south, I figured I'd stop by at Summit and get some needed goodies:

I also got the proper clutch line fittings from Ford. Right now I have a bleeder device attached, but I don't think leaving it on is the best idea.

I finished the bracket, and also the retention clip for the throttle ferrule.

I've also spent some time organizing the garage, which was all I could get done last week because the flu kicked my rear end for 3 days. It was frustrating because the weather was perfect. This week isn't starting off much better from a time/ability standpoint. I stopped working today at 930 at night. Yesterday I changed the oil in the Outback and made fajitas for the week.

That's better:

I really should go through all the bins and organize them further, but I need to sweep/use the shopvac and get the metal dust, shavings and grass bits off the floor. Maybe tomorrow.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have rules lawyered myself into another project I have to work on. However, it is not for me.

My wife is getting a 2001 Miata. The timing is screwed up, but has minimal rust and will cost me $1100 to purchase.

I also just got the ECU for the 4.6 back. 96-98 Cobra IMRC delete tune with every auto transmission and accessory monitoring flag removed, idle bumped slightly because of the light flywheel and an 6800 RPM redline. I hope I can dry fire it soon, but my wife just came down with something so I'm adjusting my priorities accordingly.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

4.6's always sounded real good in the SN95 and New Edge Mustangs. I wonder what the character of the car will feel like once its driveable. Did you say in the previous thread how much weight gain you're looking at on the nose? Its an aluminum block 4.6 vs the iron block/aluminum head ka24 right?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yup, Teksid aluminum block. It should be close to zero because I've ditched the aircon, the engine is very close to the firewall, and I'm using an electric power steering unit from a Versa instead of the hydraulic setup, which will be in the cabin. The KA is not a light engine at around 370lbs. The only real disadvantage weight wise is that I am going to fight a higher COG. On the upshot I'll be doubling my power, and the rest of the drivetrain is either the sameish (transmission) or lighter in the case of the new driveshaft and flywheel.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A NEW CONTENDER ENTERS, ON BEHALF OF MY WIFE.

It doesn't have spark for some reason. Hope I can get it running this weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

NB coils are notoriously lovely I do believe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Only time my NB didn't have spark was when I finished a timing belt job with the crank trigger wheel on backwards - it has something like a 2mm dish to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Suburban Dad posted:

NB coils are notoriously lovely I do believe.

the coil near plugs are fine, it's the cam sensors that are notoriously lovely on NBs

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I replaced the cam sensor, no joy. I suspect the PO failed on the timing belt job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they made the same mistake I did, it's a pretty quick fix :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
IIRC you said there was no rpm signal to the tachometer, no fuel and no spark, right?

Did the PO ever get it to run after doing the timing belt, did he do the timing belt because it wasn't working?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't have the full details on that, just that it was running recently. Iirc he stated it was running but it stopped. But correct, I don't see fuel (95% sure) or spark (100%), and the tach is dead. I didn't spend a ton of money on the car, as the PO didn't have any time to work on it.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 27, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah maybe it is the same thing IOC did. Here's hoping, at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What I did couldn't possibly have resulted in it not running without him taking it apart in the middle of it - though it's certainly possible that the crank position sensor itself took a poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Cleaned and re-gapped the crank sensor. No joy. Either the timing trigger wheel is on backwards, the crank sensor is dead or the timing is botched.

I should get a new sensor in the mail today.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Haha photos tomorrow but the timing belt job on the Miata was hilariously botched. I can spin the crank but the cams stay put. The teeth on the belt near the crank are f u c k e d.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hooray for non interference engines

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Hooray for non interference engines

Are later Miata vvt engines interference?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

Are later Miata vvt engines interference?

Supposedly only during certain RPM ranges.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The belt is totally hosed. I'm not sure how this is possible. The crank pulley was rust-welded on, so I've given the surfaces a good polish with 150 grit because it was an absolute dick to get off. I've popped the crank bolt loose so I can attempt to knock this out tomorrow.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't understand cars well.

Is the problem with the Miata that that belt thing is broken, so when you turn the key, the belt won't transfer any power between those gears and so the engine won't start running?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't understand cars well.

Is the problem with the Miata that that belt thing is broken, so when you turn the key, the belt won't transfer any power between those gears and so the engine won't start running?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The belt teeth have shorn off somehow. That means the cams won't rotate when the crank does, so the ECU only saw a crank signal, and not a cam signal, so the ECU had no idea what to do. Also, if the cams don't move the combustion cycle can't work.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Have you verified that the cams aren't locked up?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have not. I will check once I've removed the carcass of the timing belt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is a campfire-story level of failure, right up there with when Wes diagnosed some guy putting his window switch in upside down made his Intrepid not shut off.

I wonder if they tried starting it with the cam lock tool installed or something else insanely difficult to gently caress up.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 3, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is a campfire-story level of failure, right up there with when Wes diagnosed some guy putting his window switch in upside down made his Intrepid not shut off.

:stare: That was actually the problem?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Yeah, if memory serves doing that allowed the switch to backfeed some part of the ECU which apparently allowed just enough current through to keep everything sort of humming until something would push it just far enough to actually die.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

Thats chrysler in a nut shell. There also the company that has a fan fail and kill a truck intermittently. Or has crank sensors that are picky and will only last more then a few months if they aren't OEM.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wow that's pretty special looking. I am an idiot when it comes to doing things on cars and I think even I'd realize something was terribly wrong with that. Thanks for the updates and photos. I lurk a lot but it brings me a lot of enjoyment to see people doing things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Update, pictures later. The cams were not frozen. The exhaust turned pretty freely. There was a ton of oily gunk buildup in the VVT cam assembly, but I cleaned out out pretty well and after a little bit of love popped free.

After putting a new belt on I can say that the tensioner was 100% way loose, which is why the belt failed so spectacularly. I found a solid video on timing/tensioning ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67AFSVzfOw&t=371s )

One trick I did was set the crank indicator at about 355* instead of 0* and this left me with correct timing after the belt tension kicked in through several test rotations. I went to a concert last night instead of buttoning it up, so I'm aiming for a start tonight.