Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sanguinaire posted:

Keep checking doors, the Inquisitor key is all you should need to eventually unlock everything.

Found it. Just in case anyone else needs help:

From the Prie Dieu, go down the ladder and to the right. Go down one floor. Across from the closed grate with the item in it, that door will be unlocked and lead to the Secular Key. There is a hidden wall there as well.

Also, it is a bit obtuse: just spam the elevator to open that gate. The Rosary Bead you get there helps immensely during a fight in that same area.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I keep seeing a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls. Is that just in the tone or the gameplay? This game looks interesting to me but I'm absolutely terrible at Souls-type games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tone. Gameplay is pretty straightforward hack and slash (35%) and NES platforming (65%). There's a parry mechanic but it's very easy to use.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

10 Beers posted:

I keep seeing a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls. Is that just in the tone or the gameplay? This game looks interesting to me but I'm absolutely terrible at Souls-type games.

It's way more like Symphony of the Night, or Odallus. The only thing that is at all like dark souls is that items have textual lore and some of the mechanics are very obtuse but this is a classic metroidvania.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks!

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
The devs made a traffic cone version. Hoping this becomes an actual unlockable skin! Also they are working on bug fix patches first, then some sort of additional content:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/774361/announcements/detail/1591383308598598916

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Them having a picture of the protagonist smiling is so unsetttling.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I love it when a game like this is successful. Its like the indie game dream. Props to the devs there are maybe things I'd change but this is clearly a 300% effort+passion game and they made a nice product, they deserve the success.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No Wave posted:

I love it when a game like this is successful. Its like the indie game dream. Props to the devs there are maybe things I'd change but this is clearly a 300% effort+passion game and they made a nice product, they deserve the success.

I think Undertale, Hollow Knight, and Shovel Knight have to be the biggest success stories. Like even long after their releases, they're still being talked about and are getting content of some kind added along with sequels. But yeah I agree, there's something uplifting about the "little guy" making it big especially when they comparatively flew under the notice compared to others.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TC made like 3+ million dollars per dev and toby made like 10 million. I dont think you have to do quite that well to be an indie success story.

the funniest one is probably mcmillen who spent 8 months making a flash game with extra super weird imagery he wasnt expecting anyone to buy or take seriously and suddenly 2 million people had bought Isaac in a matter of a few weeks. (and this was immediately after his previous super successful highly polished game)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 24, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

What game was that?
Also I have a friend who is a video game collector but as far as games he plays goes it's Isaac like 50% of the time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He released super meat boy, then Isaac (isaac was the super weird game I was referring to - mcmillen said he thought he really let himself go when it came to the weirdness of the imagery in isaac and was stunned it didnt drive people off).

It was a total contrast to meat boy, another successful game, but one that he spent tons of time and effort making polished and perfect then isaac blew up five times as hard while being almost a browser game.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No Wave posted:

He released super meat boy, then Isaac (isaac was the super weird game I was referring to - mcmillen said he thought he really let himself go when it came to the weirdness of the imagery in isaac and was stunned it didnt drive people off).

It was a total contrast to meat boy, another successful game, but one that he spent tons of time and effort making polished and perfect then isaac blew up five times as hard while being almost a browser game.

It basically WAS browser game. I remember playing that poo poo on Newgrounds back in the olden days.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think meat boy was the browser game. I remember being blown away by it for years and was so happy when SMB came out. If Isaac was a browser game too dang I missed it.

EDIT: wow you are correct it's still on newgrounds!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 25, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ed's business model in those days was to make a weird flash game and see if he could sell it to Adult Swim.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here's patch https://steamcommunity.com/games/774361/announcements/detail/1593635746647312737

Looks like there might not be that missable thing anymore:

quote:

Gemino quest was missable and players could be locked out of the 100% completion.
Empty Golden Thimble spawns near Gémino if he converts to the tree form before talking to him.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Here's patch https://steamcommunity.com/games/774361/announcements/detail/1593635746647312737

Looks like there might not be that missable thing anymore:

OH poo poo! I might actually finish this game now!

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

dis astranagant posted:

Ed's business model in those days was to make a weird flash game and see if he could sell it to Adult Swim.

Not gonna lie. I want to see him finish Mewgenics. Seems like he's had trouble trying to make it Work, whatever that means exactly.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Love to run into a room and immediately fall into spikes on the other side of the door, because I'm a loving dingus.

I somehow have 83 hours played, I think the Switch version is tracking hours while in sleep.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sdoots posted:

Love to run into a room and immediately fall into spikes on the other side of the door, because I'm a loving dingus.

I somehow have 83 hours played, I think the Switch version is tracking hours while in sleep.

Yeah, the Switch version does not stop timer when in sleep. It kinda bugs me.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ChrisBTY posted:

If anything broke my immersion about Blasphemous it's the way I kept asking myself 'why would people fight to maintain this miserable status quo?'
Of course I already know the answer, but still. Jeez.

Because they're the ones that get to rule it. Or had their fanaticism cultivated by the leaders and know nothing else.

The penitient one's blasphemy is against the secular power of the church. He defies the doctrine of guilt and suffering built up to control the people by taking on the role of sin eater.

The repeating cycle people were talking about earlier is one of church reformation.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just killed the Big Baby With No Eyes and really have no idea where I'm supposed to go? The Conehead guy at the 3 Knots Tree just spouts some gibberish. I've already opened up the Cavalry Bridge.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I just killed the Big Baby With No Eyes and really have no idea where I'm supposed to go? The Conehead guy at the 3 Knots Tree just spouts some gibberish. I've already opened up the Cavalry Bridge.

Go to Mother of Mothers and fight the blinged out dead priest guy. Following that, you should find a trail that leads to the Inquisition prison.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blinged out Bishop and his Stepping dance crew.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally got around to getting this, I have to say I'm really loving it overall despite it having a death by a thousand cuts level of small issues. I'm at about 85% and going around finding everything.

I have to agree about the map though. Even if it wasn't fully marked up like a modern game they should have least put question marks on squares where there's a place/NPC to offer an object to that you haven't solved yet.

The graphics are really interesting, not just for looking Spanish Catholic as hell but how you can sorta see the line Spanish and British video game-wise from Bugaboo to like Risky Woods/Lionheart/etc. Amiga games to this. It's cool to have background art and sprites that equally evoke all of that while still looking consistently great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-fuO5OrBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97TJDrnhL9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QalrkPS8lVU

I'm having a lot of fun with the exploration too, it's interesting to have no double jump in a game like this but I like that it makes you commit more to each jump, and there's a enough spots where the platforming is great that I can forgive some of the rougher or less interesting area.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Despite all the many minor issues, there is something weirdly compelling about how sadomasochistically catholic this game is and I really dig it.

I just really wish it had an extra final boss for the true ending.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
This game just became one of the humble choice, hopefully more people will play it. Enjoy an extra key

&l*s+hemous (Steam) 45&K+ LQ*NP IMDVI

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/games/774361/announcements/detail/3151888293028716435

they made some changes to try to improve the platforming, including adding coyote time which is a pretty surprising addition for a finished game. That must have been some work.

they are also making a free DLC for 2020.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This game has its hooks in me something fierce. I've played for about 18 hours and have 73% completion. Art direction, animations, and music are all fantastic. I really wish there was a Spanish audio track because British voice acting doesn't fit, but otherwise just minor quibbles. I really wish you could mark points of interest on your map, and relics should really be passive upgrades rather than ones you have to choose from. Glad to hear this is getting free DLC next year. I really hope it sold well enough that they can hone it further in a full sequel.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I got this game a few days ago and I like it a lot despite it trying its hardest to make me hate it. there's a room in Jondo where you're supposed to keep track of a moving platform over spikes as you navigate obstacles, but when you're standing on the obstacles the camera is too high for you to see the platform and you can't reposition the camera so you have to make a blind jump and hope you don't land on the spikes. it sucks!! it's insane to me that this kind of issue made it into the game but I get the feeling that they didn't have much of a QA budget in general. anyway I just wanted to come in and complain about that, other than that and several other minor issues (bad map) this game is fun and cool :)

e: ok this time I was able to reposition the camera so nevermind about that complaint I guess

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 30, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The the camera was fine the first time I went into that room and got the heart, then when I went back later to look for more secrets I absolutely could not get the goddamn camera to show the platform at the start and I don’t know what the heck

Jondo was the first branch I visited & it gave me a very positive impression of the game, which I could see evaporating pretty quickly if that had happened to me the first time as it apparently did for others.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

To their credit, they have good post launch support and are planning to fix and add more things to the game - including changes to mechanics.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Been enjoying myself well enough, even if I feel like the instructions are too vague and power-ups, in particular, seem too strung out. Great, you got a rosary extension, now go to place X and give it to person y who doesn't even explain that they're there for that. Oh, want to use more Horrible Blood Estus since you've found an empty one? Pay for it in one of these awkward, out of the way shrines. It's less hard and more a pain in the rear end.

That say, felt like a god in one puzzle. There's a room in the bell where you need to position two bells controlled by levers to cause a chain reaction and open a gate. It's super finnicky because of how long it takes Hatman to pull the levers, so I was banging my head on it for a bit. Until I realized, I could keep doing that...

...Or use the starting spell that climbs up walls to hit the last bell and short circuit the whole puzzle.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Mild localized necromancy on the thread.

Got it in the Humble Monthly, but have been loosely following the game since the Kickstarter campaign. Have seen the B ending now with 80.75% completion. Obviously digging it, but have lost track of where to use keys or where the first shop I encountered even is. The map leaves something to be desired there.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
speaking of necromancy,

i was badmouthing this game earlier in the thread so i feel obligated to post this: i saw there was a huge patch recently that changed almost everything i had complaints about. i finally tried out the game with the new patch and there are tons of subtle changes that make movement and platforming feel SO much better. the most obvious one is a generous coyote time to help with platforming, but there's other things like changes to how the ledge grab works that make everything feel more natural and flow together better.

the game still has issues, but the new patch has made it a lot closer to what i thought i was buying based on the reviews, and i'm enjoying running through it again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it turns out there's another reason to raise the dead on this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdGzJhunb4

and it's that there's more blasphemous coming

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm so stoked for this DLC in a couple days. It's basically a checklist of stuff I wanted when I played it initially, including a Spanish language track. Definitely gonna do NG+ because it seems like they've added new areas and items to the base game along with new executions and enemy attacks.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The new map looks pretty cool and far more usable than the default one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Update is live!

Features include new game plus, a bunch of balance changes and gamefeel tweaks, spanish voiceover, a new questline involving five (five!!!) new hard boss fights, and a pettable dog in the town.

edit: is it kosher to use the report system to request a mod change the thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Update is live!

Features include new game plus, a bunch of balance changes and gamefeel tweaks, spanish voiceover, a new questline involving five (five!!!) new hard boss fights, and a pettable dog in the town.

edit: is it kosher to use the report system to request a mod change the thread title?

Can’t you just PM VideoGames lol