Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

SirSamVimes posted:

Update is live!

Features include new game plus, a bunch of balance changes and gamefeel tweaks, spanish voiceover, a new questline involving five (five!!!) new hard boss fights, and a pettable dog in the town.

edit: is it kosher to use the report system to request a mod change the thread title?

I didn't realize I needed this until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I died to the first boss in NG+ because I am out of practise.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
went from hating this game to loving it. excellent dlc (spend 20,000 tears at the tithing box in the church that opens up in the village)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Started playing again for the dlc and man I missed this game. One thing though, I understand the voice changes, but I kind of missed the originals since they had a sort of schlocky feel to them similar to the voice work in SotN.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 26, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The voice acting was really good to start with, I think it's crazy they went through and changed them (my favorites were the little guy who worships the tortured lady and the final boss). I haven't played through again so I don't know how much they changed - was it much beyond Cresanta?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They changed the english VA too? I thought they just added a spanish VA option. I haven’t played the update yet

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No Wave posted:

The voice acting was really good to start with, I think it's crazy they went through and changed them (my favorites were the little guy who worships the tortured lady and the final boss). I haven't played through again so I don't know how much they changed - was it much beyond Cresanta?

Crisanta, Esdras, Tirso, and the church guy in Albero. I've not heard Crisantas new voice yet, but there was just something so funny as hell about it since she sounded so...warrior of justice like something out of a shonen manga/anime. I've not heard they changed Cleofas and Escribar is the same. Ditto for Deogracias.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't played this since May, when I hit a wall near endgame (I forget which boss I was on, maybe Cristana or whatever). Got sucked into other games and forgot all about it. Should I pick it back up where I left off, or should I start all over again? I understand that they have made the game easier or something since then?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't played this since May, when I hit a wall near endgame (I forget which boss I was on, maybe Cristana or whatever). Got sucked into other games and forgot all about it. Should I pick it back up where I left off, or should I start all over again? I understand that they have made the game easier or something since then?

Finish where you left off and ascend to NG+. A lot of the added features are for NG+.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I normally hate Spanish (from Spain) voice acting, but I am gonna reinstall the drat game and probably replay it in Spanish.

I mean, it is only fitting, for this title.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Been playing well so far and the Amanecidas are tough as hell, but I'm starting to see why Tiento to your Thorned Hairs and Zarabanda of the Safe Haven are late game prayers with how OP they are.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 27, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished the DLC.

It's quite obvious that Jibrael is either the twisted one, or an avatar or incarnation of him in the living world given his relationship with Laudes of the Amanecidas.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just picked this up. It’s pretty fun so far. Without spoilers, is there anything I can do to permanently ruin my initial run? I destroyed one of those Guilt statues accidentally.

The only thing I don’t like about games like this and Dark Souls is not knowing if I permanently screwed myself, like when I attacked Eileen in Bloodborne cause she looked completely like an enemy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I just picked this up. It’s pretty fun so far. Without spoilers, is there anything I can do to permanently ruin my initial run? I destroyed one of those Guilt statues accidentally.

The only thing I don’t like about games like this and Dark Souls is not knowing if I permanently screwed myself, like when I attacked Eileen in Bloodborne cause she looked completely like an enemy.

While I wouldn't recommend doing it early on, breaking that statue wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

There's a timed side quest in the snowy mountain area that used to be timed from the moment you entered that has been changed, other than that there's nothing too important that's missable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dantheman650 posted:

What dis astranagant said. There's a bit of a timed mission involving some spices and the kisses of wounds in the main town, but that's more of an achievement thing(as in, even if you gently caress up you can still get all the rewards). For that what you gotta do is bring spices in between bosses or instead just collect all the spices you can find and deliver them before taking any boss fights.

Only other thing you can gently caress up is failing to give Cleofas the cord of burial and screwing yourself out of an Uber powerful prayer or choosing to kill Socorro instead of giving her the marks of refuge from the anointed legionaires you kill which causes the same.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Two questions: sometimes when I did, as I respawn some of the children of moonlight fly away from the save point. What’s this about?

Also, is there any way to look down? I hate that there’s no way sometimes to know what’s below you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dantheman650 posted:

Two questions: sometimes when I did, as I respawn some of the children of moonlight fly away from the save point. What’s this about?

Also, is there any way to look down? I hate that there’s no way sometimes to know what’s below you.
You can look a (tiny) bit up and down with the right stick, except when the game decides actually no you can't.

One of these times is if you are doing a sword stab wall cling :shepface: (Though ledge hang USUALLY lets you). Or if you want to look up while at the bottom end of the screen. Or more bizarre like you are on a platform not too far from ground level and you can look up, but not DOWN (at the little jumpy guys at ground level you see the heads of poking up from the edge of the screen). And who knows what else I'm forgetting.

This may be why you were unsure how to look down, because of the various moments it would come in handy then... just doesn't work.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Section Z posted:

You can look a (tiny) bit up and down with the right stick

Goodness, thank you. I would not have figured this out.

I just found two health upgrades in just a few minutes and feel a lot better going around. I’ve beaten two bosses now and still having a lot of fun.

I traded in a flask for improved flask healing. Is this an actual tradeoff or will I get more flasks (enough today have the max)?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Marathoned this game over yesterday and today. Good stuff! Still can go back for some NG+ stuff. Wasn't as hard as I expected/worried.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Here's patch https://steamcommunity.com/games/774361/announcements/detail/1593635746647312737

Looks like there might not be that missable thing anymore:
It seems like I'm locked out of 100% completion cause I hosed up Cleofas' quest?

dantheman650 posted:

Goodness, thank you. I would not have figured this out.

I just found two health upgrades in just a few minutes and feel a lot better going around. I’ve beaten two bosses now and still having a lot of fun.

I traded in a flask for improved flask healing. Is this an actual tradeoff or will I get more flasks (enough today have the max)?

It's a legit trade-off unless I missed something. There's a limited amount of flasks in the game, and there doesn't seem to be a cap on how many you can have at once. That said, there's max HP upgrades, so at some point you're probably want the increased HP per drink to save time.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I feel like I’m nearing the last third of the game and I still haven’t found anything that lets me get up to higher ledges. I do have the relic that makes the red platforms appear but there are tons of things on high ledges I can’t get to. Will I get some sort of double jump or something super close to the end of the game? My map completion is 70%.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can beat the final boss without the red platform relic or the relic you're probably looking for (I consider this a fault of the game tbh - so much is gated behind red platforms and nothing in the main questline requires it). It's not anything as major as a double jump. If you want to look up how to find it it's called three gnarled tongues.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cool. I did look up the thing in the spoiler and I had already found two of those three necessary artifacts and the place to put them. But I didn’t know if the third was somewhere I had been yet or not. I guess I just missed it.

Another weird thing - is it normal that I’m this far in the game and only have three spells? I barely ever use any of them and it makes the whole fervor mechanic feel a bit pointless.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dantheman650 posted:

Cool. I did look up the thing in the spoiler and I had already found two of those three necessary artifacts and the place to put them. But I didn’t know if the third was somewhere I had been yet or not. I guess I just missed it.

Another weird thing - is it normal that I’m this far in the game and only have three spells? I barely ever use any of them and it makes the whole fervor mechanic feel a bit pointless.

If you've not collected the Three Gnarled Tongues, not really. You really do need those to start collecting more spells. That and the Golden Sheet and Dirt Nail.

Edit: The spells you REALLY wanna watch out for are Lorquina, Zarabanda of the Safe Haven, Tiento to your Thorned Hairs, and Debla of the Lights. The last two you get from delivering the remains of the girl to the Albero Church and delivering the marks of refuge to Socorro followed by delivering the Cord of True Burial to Cleofas before he kills himself respectively.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 10, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I picked up the Three Gnarled Tongues last night. I had to use a guide to find out where to take the egg. That was a bit too obscure for my tastes. I don’t know what any of the other things you mentioned are! But I guess more exploring will reveal them. Weird how you basically get all this stuff right near the end of the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was able to find the tongue and blood relics without looking up, and I think I got both before the bridge?

But there's also a relic for jumping in water/mud, and it honestly feels like it comes way too late? There was a path I couldn't access in the cistern for way too long. It drove me nuts. Which then gives you the relic that helps you find other secrets, like after I had found everything!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Really strange thing - Tirso won’t take my Sooty Garlic. I am pretty sure I already finished his quest - I got a rosary bead from him. Is there something else this is used for?

96% on the map and missing one child of moonlight. I don’t think I can be bothered to try to find the last one. Probably will go fight the final boss, assuming that’s where I am (top right).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

dantheman650 posted:

Really strange thing - Tirso won’t take my Sooty Garlic. I am pretty sure I already finished his quest - I got a rosary bead from him. Is there something else this is used for?

96% on the map and missing one child of moonlight. I don’t think I can be bothered to try to find the last one. Probably will go fight the final boss, assuming that’s where I am (top right).

Check around the village on the right hand side for grave markers to see if you messed it up I think. You also might just be missing a boss somewhere but I doubt it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm playing true torment mode with the penitence where your health bar is replaced by hits & I found the NPC who trades health refills to make them more powerful. Is this actually beneficial on this mode? does it make them heal 2 hits per flask, fill up subsequent hits faster, etc?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I'm playing true torment mode with the penitence where your health bar is replaced by hits & I found the NPC who trades health refills to make them more powerful. Is this actually beneficial on this mode? does it make them heal 2 hits per flask, fill up subsequent hits faster, etc?

Not sure. I've not tried it since I'm patient enough to let it heal entirely on it's own on top of using the painted wooden bead to top off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just tried it out since I had a bunch of flasks now and it didn't seem to do anything. still heals 1 hit per flask, the next 2 still seem to take about 10 seconds to come back. seems like a waste unless it makes a difference later.

the NG+ exclusive bosses seem very cool, but the fact that some of them are a long way from any checkpoints is very lame. the base game is really good about putting checkpoints right outside bossfights so this was disappointing. luckily it hasn't mattered much since I got two of them on the second try and the next one on the first try.

You can get really overpowered on NG+ even though you can't level up your sword's damage and one-shot a bunch of enemies anymore. The invincibility spell is predictably insane, but giving enough money to the church in albero also gives you a bead that makes your sword shoot absurdly high-damage projectiles after using a health flask, which you can combine to just blitz bosses while mostly untouchable. The bleeding heart penitence also feels like it's more favorable to you than not, since you get more hits than it normally takes to kill you at the end of the game. it also makes anything that affects the amount of damage you take irrelevant, so you can use the sword heart that makes you deal + take no damage with no penalty.

there is another version of that bead that triggers when you do an execution, but I can never figure out what makes it turn off. I know it turns off if you change screens but sometimes it lasts for the whole screen and sometimes it turns off in 2 seconds.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I just tried it out since I had a bunch of flasks now and it didn't seem to do anything. still heals 1 hit per flask, the next 2 still seem to take about 10 seconds to come back. seems like a waste unless it makes a difference later.

the NG+ exclusive bosses seem very cool, but the fact that some of them are a long way from any checkpoints is very lame. the base game is really good about putting checkpoints right outside bossfights so this was disappointing. luckily it hasn't mattered much since I got two of them on the second try and the next one on the first try.

You can get really overpowered on NG+ even though you can't level up your sword's damage and one-shot a bunch of enemies anymore. The invincibility spell is predictably insane, but giving enough money to the church in albero also gives you a bead that makes your sword shoot absurdly high-damage projectiles after using a health flask, which you can combine to just blitz bosses while mostly untouchable. The bleeding heart penitence also feels like it's more favorable to you than not, since you get more hits than it normally takes to kill you at the end of the game. it also makes anything that affects the amount of damage you take irrelevant, so you can use the sword heart that makes you deal + take no damage with no penalty.

there is another version of that bead that triggers when you do an execution, but I can never figure out what makes it turn off. I know it turns off if you change screens but sometimes it lasts for the whole screen and sometimes it turns off in 2 seconds.

That's why I picked Bleeding Heart. Knowing how much damage some of the bosses do, I knew I could game it by simply doing a tank strat like the Max Level 1 from Portrait of Ruin where you're supposed to use the Ancient Armor(max damage taken is ALWAYS 10% hp).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

one goofy thing about NG+ starting you with your relics is that you can use the "fall into bottomless pits" one to fall into the desecrated cistern and clear the whole thing from the start, getting the upgrades that are normally rewards for beating ten piedad and tres angustas from behind without actually fighting those bosses at all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I made it to the mountain of ash and failed to climb it. I didn't bother looking up any of the "true ending" stuff, preferring to just play the game naturally. If I want to see the rest of the content, is my best bet to just do new game+ at this point?

For what it's worth that ending is REALLY UNSATISFYING and easily my biggest knock against the game. A player shouldn't have to look up a guide to feel like they beat a game correctly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Look it up and finish it on your NG file. It's not a whole lot of stuff.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 17, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PantsBandit posted:

So I made it to the mountain of ash and failed to climb it. I didn't bother looking up any of the "true ending" stuff, preferring to just play the game naturally. If I want to see the rest of the content, is my best bet to just do new game+ at this point?

For what it's worth that ending is REALLY UNSATISFYING and easily my biggest knock against the game. A player shouldn't have to look up a guide to feel like they beat a game correctly.

Wear the white bead and break the confessor statues and It'll unlock some horde fights. Beat all of them for the true ending.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm replaying the game to see the new content. I've fought two of the Amanecidas so far. It's pretty cool for a free update.
I have a question regarding the language. Spanish is my mother tongue, so I'm not sure if the English translations sounds odd or not. There are a lot of untranslated terms related to the Andalusian Semana Santa and the translation in general sounds too literal to me. Does the text sound natural?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Spermando posted:

I'm replaying the game to see the new content. I've fought two of the Amanecidas so far. It's pretty cool for a free update.
I have a question regarding the language. Spanish is my mother tongue, so I'm not sure if the English translations sounds odd or not. There are a lot of untranslated terms related to the Andalusian Semana Santa and the translation in general sounds too literal to me. Does the text sound natural?

It sounded fine to me. Granted I've not played in Spanish yet

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
spermando, always talkin' about semen santa

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i can't speak to the Spanish script, but as a former catholic and current player of From games i can say this game's dialogue has two modes, and switches between them frequently: pastiche of catholic devotional literature, and pastiche of dark souls dialogue.
both are basically accurate, though the former is better-written. in either case, the style seemed intentional and not like a bad or overly-literal translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Okay, so it doesn't sound as robotic as I thought. Too bad there is no talk of Christmas cum in English.