Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tell me of the Christmas cum. Has Santa been naughty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hello thread! this has all but disappeared but I've been really enjoying the game. had it installed on switch months ago but finally got around to it and I'm glad I did.

I just beat our lady of the charred visage and got the subsequent item. now I'm a bit lost - can someone give me a spoiler free direction to go in?

I don't have anything that protects from the gas yet, if I should have that

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

hello thread! this has all but disappeared but I've been really enjoying the game. had it installed on switch months ago but finally got around to it and I'm glad I did.

I just beat our lady of the charred visage and got the subsequent item. now I'm a bit lost - can someone give me a spoiler free direction to go in?

I don't have anything that protects from the gas yet, if I should have that

Gas protection is way later on.

It's been a while but going by memory...have you gone back to the infirmary in town, gone to the bottom of that screen, and then went right?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that did it - thankyou!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A few nights ago I jumped back into this game and into NG+ blindly and chose the heart perk. Which means everything feels more aggressive and I die in a mere three hits... it's not going well, hiatus was too long.

I'll probably try to inch my way through it a little at a time until I finally get my gaming legs back. Also keep forgetting to apply changes when I set the voices to Española.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Im pretty early in the game, dont see anywhere to go except up into that stupid icy place, is that my only option?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

NoMas posted:

Im pretty early in the game, dont see anywhere to go except up into that stupid icy place, is that my only option?

Keep going through the wasteland of churches and you can get to another place. There's also the Great Bell of Jondo, which you can get to via Cistern by going into a secret door in town.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

doomrider7 posted:

Keep going through the wasteland of churches and you can get to another place. There's also the Great Bell of Jondo, which you can get to via Cistern by going into a secret door in town.

Thanks, for some reason I thought you needed a double jump on the way to Jondo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm well into the archcathedral now and am enjoying it a lot. the parry system feels really great when you block and smash someone in return. the combat all round is very fun

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Whew, I've been blowing through this game over the past week. Reading through the thread, I'm glad I waited for lots of patch stuff before committing! With how many little issues I still have, I dunno if I could have handled the game having more jank. Overall though I ended up really liking it.

Also, the new DLC bosses were very fun, but I'm kinda thinking the prayer/fervour-focused penitence is maybe overpowered! Especially when you combine its base fervour regeneration with the extra regen rosary bead you get for beating the game with that penitence active. Debla of the Lights (the big column of light damage prayer) gives you a weirdly long invulnerability once it actually activates, and does insane damage; you can just spam the hell out of it and every otherwise hard boss in the game goes down reeeal quick.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
missing two cherubs, no clue where they might be, probably behind breakable walls/floors. also an unknown number of talking corpses

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Relin posted:

missing two cherubs, no clue where they might be, probably behind breakable walls/floors. also an unknown number of talking corpses
I don't think there are any that are hidden in little one square breakable wall rooms.

Have you returned to the starting area and also explored the huge elevator shaft areas thoroughly? There's also a goofy one in the Sewer area, right after the part you need the water movement relic for; it's placed so that from a lot of angles it's just behind some foreground scenery.

Other than that there are a lot of annoying ones that are in odd high places and stuff, hard to guess without just checking them all.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Played through this for the first time about 2 weeks ago and had a blast. I love the visuals and music even if the gameplay itself isn't anything new. Apparently I lucked out by procrastinating on it since launch because going back through the thread and reading that it lacked the current map system would have made it so much worse.

My one big gripe was gating the better(?) ending behind some useless item with a description of "it is useless and you'd be an idiot for equipping it" that has an inscrutable interaction with dying multiple times which you get at the very beginning of the game when your slots are most limited and game difficulty at its highest. Found every other thing in the game on my own with the tools given but had to look that one up and ugh.

Looks like I was just in time for some new content, too:
https://twitter.com/BlasphemousGame/status/1361676707166576640

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Swilo posted:

Played through this for the first time about 2 weeks ago and had a blast. I love the visuals and music even if the gameplay itself isn't anything new. Apparently I lucked out by procrastinating on it since launch because going back through the thread and reading that it lacked the current map system would have made it so much worse.

My one big gripe was gating the better(?) ending behind some useless item with a description of "it is useless and you'd be an idiot for equipping it" that has an inscrutable interaction with dying multiple times which you get at the very beginning of the game when your slots are most limited and game difficulty at its highest. Found every other thing in the game on my own with the tools given but had to look that one up and ugh.

Looks like I was just in time for some new content, too:
https://twitter.com/BlasphemousGame/status/1361676707166576640

I read the description of it as bring useless and then instantly glued it to my inventory, certain that it'd be important.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

I read the description of it as bring useless and then instantly glued it to my inventory, certain that it'd be important.

Same but not quite for me. It wasn't long before people immediately KNEW this was important and started messing with it and word got out that this was the games "Ring of Sacrifice" item so I always kept it around in case of an emergency for that. The unlock for the TRUE ending was later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Holy poo poo they added a pettable dog

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Bought this game on the last steam sale and loved it so much I've 100% the game, gotten all achievements, and am halfway through my second True Torment penitence, but I have to ask: is it worth it to fight the Amanecidas? I'm already burnt out and dunno if these DLC bosses are extra challenging that I should put myself through for no reward. I figure once I beat the last Penitence I could maybe try but I'm not convinced if I should bother.

Also, I'm laughing at myself that I thought the Bleeding Heart might be harder than the Unwavering Faith. The 1 orb per hit is actually better than the normal bar for almost everything but taking environmental damage, and the Molten Heart of Boiling Blood lets me regain health easily without flasks!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Bought this game on the last steam sale and loved it so much I've 100% the game, gotten all achievements, and am halfway through my second True Torment penitence, but I have to ask: is it worth it to fight the Amanecidas? I'm already burnt out and dunno if these DLC bosses are extra challenging that I should put myself through for no reward. I figure once I beat the last Penitence I could maybe try but I'm not convinced if I should bother.

Also, I'm laughing at myself that I thought the Bleeding Heart might be harder than the Unwavering Faith. The 1 orb per hit is actually better than the normal bar for almost everything but taking environmental damage, and the Molten Heart of Boiling Blood lets me regain health easily without flasks!

If you use a vile it'll keep healing you til max so if you combine it with the thorned hairs prayer you can heal back 3-4 health with one flask alone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I have some dried flowers, and I've been to the grave where I'm supposed to place them, but there's no option to place them. From the videos I've looked up, there are supposed to be tree people on each side of the coffin, but I only see ones on the left side. What needs to be done?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Paracelsus posted:

I have some dried flowers, and I've been to the grave where I'm supposed to place them, but there's no option to place them. From the videos I've looked up, there are supposed to be tree people on each side of the coffin, but I only see ones on the left side. What needs to be done?

Did you bring the hot oil back to Gemino(guy sealed in tree), before he became fully encased.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

doomrider7 posted:

Did you bring the hot oil back to Gemino(guy sealed in tree), before he became fully encased.

He was covered in wood but still talking.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Paracelsus posted:

He was covered in wood but still talking.

Give him the oil. You get from the nun covenant in the ice mountains. Finishing his quest-line gets you entry to tomb where her body is and you can then place the flowers. Missing this and having him die makes it so that you have to wait til you get a certain item much later.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah the spoiler is if you beat Covenant of Our Lady of the Charred Visage and give him the thimbleful of burning oil when he's not encased in wood he opens the tomb himself and gives you the dried flowers. If it's too late you get the flowers later (a corpse in the convent I think, if you backtrack) and you have to still give him the oil although he won't move. It was a later addition after a lot of people complained about being locked out of the quest.

Edit: If the tomb still isn't opened then you need another item that lets you drop down past screens to get there. It's been awhile so I'm not sure of the sequence of all events now.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 26, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got the prayer using the golden cloth instead.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Paracelsus posted:

That works.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Yup, that's the thing you need that lets you drop down past screens.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't recall seeing this discussed here. I was stuck in the mountain area going up to the Lady of Charred Visage boss. Graveyard of the Peaks or whatever.

There was a section jumping between two walls where the trick is to watch the snow and jump with the wind at your back. I was not even coming close to making it so I just assumed I was missing some ability to hover or dash in air or something to get through another deadend nearby. So I did two full loops around the entire map and was still stuck.

I'm playing via a cheap little Lenovo mini-PC hooked up to a TV and it turns out that having V-sync seems to slow the movement down. All I had to do was switch it off and I made the jump first time. Just general navigating the map, platforming and especially boss fights and avoiding missles/beams is much easier with V-sync off so guess I'm just putting up with the screen tearing.

I like this game a lot, I appreciate the weird Catholic aesthetic even if I don't have a loving clue what I'm supposed to with any of the story items. That's one thing from Symphony of the Night that I wish modern games would abandon - being vague about what the abilities/buffs/purpose of all the doodads you find. I don't like having to scroll through a whole paragraph of fluff just to find out that the Toenail of Aloysius the Syphilitic is a slight buff to a particular damage type.

It's been a buggy experience though, other than the v-sync think I very gave up on it because it would lockup on starting because of video codec issue. I've fallen through level geometry and been stuck under an elevator.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
not only are they releasing more free dlc in december but they've confirmed working on a sequel for 2023

https://twitter.com/BlasphemousGame/status/1431323127255031811

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Those faint yellow ghosts with the lightning strikes can get hosed!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Edit: nvm

snoremac fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 28, 2021

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Wounds of Eventide has some great boss fights in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What is the new ending.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is Wounds of Eventide also NG+ only? If I started a NG+ for Stir of Dawn but never got around to playing through it, can I just use that file for Wounds?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought this a year ago and played up to the red Hammer Paladin on the bridge kicking the poo poo out of me. Are there any special items or moves in meant to have to make this fight easier? I feel like I do so little damage compared to other boss fights and if you get caught by one of their spinning lightning attacks, you’ll get stun-locked and just take 5 hits without being able to get up and probably die.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought this a year ago and played up to the red Hammer Paladin on the bridge kicking the poo poo out of me. Are there any special items or moves in meant to have to make this fight easier? I feel like I do so little damage compared to other boss fights and if you get caught by one of their spinning lightning attacks, you’ll get stun-locked and just take 5 hits without being able to get up and probably die.

Parry

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Is Wounds of Eventide also NG+ only? If I started a NG+ for Stir of Dawn but never got around to playing through it, can I just use that file for Wounds?

Yes. All the update is automatically added to the file and as long as you haven't beaten Esdras yet you can access all the content and the new ending. If you have beaten him before you find the Tomb of Perpetua in Echoes of Salt then the new ending will be locked out until you ascend the file again, which I found out personally.

Bust Rodd posted:

His pattern is pretty predictable but it'll take a number of attempts to get it down, in my experience. Once thing that'll help, if you have it unlocked, is the Sacred Thrust because you can dodge past Esdras and stab him as long as he's not doing his spin attack.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

What is the new ending.

Since I just beat it a bit ago, I can tell you that you still need to go down the original "good" ending path; the "bad" ending is still the bad ending, but after defeating his Holiness Escribar, you move to the mountain of ash and ascend, but instead of taking a seat upon the throne, a platform raises and takes you to a higher area; possibly The Dream, or the last gateway to it. Here you fight the "Guardian" which is the red figure with 5 arms that rises from Escribar in all endings. You fight him in an autoscrolling segment with Crisanta assisting, and once he is beaten you meet The High Wills; a three-faced entity that is responsible for The Miracle that has grasped Cvstodia. I'm not sure but some characters seem to be aware that they're stuck in a loop that you must break by killing the creator of The Miracle. The High Wills attempts to explain itself, but it knows you are there to destroy it and its final act is to curse you and state that you will forever be a nameless, silent penitent and that nothing will absolve you. The Penitent One and Crisanta then destroy The High Wills, and it fades to The Penitent One coming face-to-face with The Twisted One, who places a hand on the player's shoulder before fading away into dust. The Mea Culpa also disintegrates, and it then cuts to Deogracias and Crisanta carrying The Penitent One's body to a sarcophagus and interring him. Credits roll, and then the post-credit scene shows a giant, glowing heart-shaped organ descending from the sky with a fetus inside of it suspended over Cvstodia. Dunno what that's about, but it could be setting up the sequel.

tl;dr: The Penitent One kills The High Wills, stops The Miracle, and dies. A fetus descends out of the sky. The End.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Since I just beat it a bit ago, I can tell you that you still need to go down the original "good" ending path; the "bad" ending is still the bad ending, but after defeating his Holiness Escribar, you move to the mountain of ash and ascend, but instead of taking a seat upon the throne, a platform raises and takes you to a higher area; possibly The Dream, or the last gateway to it. Here you fight the "Guardian" which is the red figure with 5 arms that rises from Escribar in all endings. You fight him in an autoscrolling segment with Crisanta assisting, and once he is beaten you meet The High Wills; a three-faced entity that is responsible for The Miracle that has grasped Cvstodia. I'm not sure but some characters seem to be aware that they're stuck in a loop that you must break by killing the creator of The Miracle. The High Wills attempts to explain itself, but it knows you are there to destroy it and its final act is to curse you and state that you will forever be a nameless, silent penitent and that nothing will absolve you. The Penitent One and Crisanta then destroy The High Wills, and it fades to The Penitent One coming face-to-face with The Twisted One, who places a hand on the player's shoulder before fading away into dust. The Mea Culpa also disintegrates, and it then cuts to Deogracias and Crisanta carrying The Penitent One's body to a sarcophagus and interring him. Credits roll, and then the post-credit scene shows a giant, glowing heart-shaped organ descending from the sky with a fetus inside of it suspended over Cvstodia. Dunno what that's about, but it could be setting up the sequel.

tl;dr: The Penitent One kills The High Wills, stops The Miracle, and dies. A fetus descends out of the sky. The End.

Thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
kind of pisses me off that the first and third dlc require ng+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Relin posted:

kind of pisses me off that the first and third dlc require ng+

The third doesn't seem to. I started a new game on Switch after playing the game on PC a few years ago and the Mourning and Salt area is accessible once you reach the Mother of Mothers. You can run into it earlier near the area where you bring the inverted chalice but you can't actually go anywhere from that entrance.

This is one of my favorite games of the last few years and I love it but I still have a couple of nitpicks. I wish grabbing a ladder in mid air worked every time. It works most of the time but sometimes I just don't grab the ladder and end up dead. I also wish we could just toggle on all of the relics like ignore poison, get blood platforms etc.

I had a way better time on the second playthrough because gaining the ability to teleport between Prie Dieus makes travel way less tedious.

I wish I knew how framey the switch version is. Anytime there's several projectiles or lots of lightning on the screen the frame rate tanks and it becomes a slide show. It's especially bad in the new areas from the third dlc.