Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

God drat this game made me feel catholic guilt just playing it

Exceptional the whole way through imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

ilikefood posted:

Thinking of getting this but I'm a little worried about the Dark Souls comparison. How hard is it compared to Hollow Knight?

Some parts are harder, some parts are easier than Hollow Knight. Some things that make it easier: a functioning map that doesn't use equipment slots, unlimited uses of a dodge slide with ample i-frames, and a parry which also has a solid window that is substantially larger than the Dark Souls parry window (but isn't Sekiro spammable).

A weird dichotomy is that I like the way the controls feel, especially in combat, in Blasphemous more, but actual platforming feels a lot better in Hollow Knight with less "OH COME ON" moments.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Started playing this morning, and as someone who grew up Catholic...

drat, this is more Catholic than Mass.

Orv
May 4, 2011
*Crysis voice* Maximum Catholicism

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pharohman777 posted:

lol, one of the remains you can find is that of a isekai protagonist.

Metatarsus of Rikusyo, the Traveller
Almost no details of his background are known, but those who crossed his path claimed later that Rikusyo carried a small, strange, luminous plate that emitted a faint voice.

Not sure what it is I'm missing here?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not sure what it is I'm missing here?

sounds like it’s describing a smart phone

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oxxidation posted:

sounds like it’s describing a smart phone

Ohhhhhh, I was thinking plate like an actual metal plating or something.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
One of my favorite albums of the past few years was a black metal album with a heavy Eastern Orthodox aesthetic - the idea was basically "bands do the Satan thing all the time but Christianity has a ton of really dark themes that are also incredibly metal". This game gives me the same vibes and it kicks rear end

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

garfield hentai posted:

One of my favorite albums of the past few years was a black metal album with a heavy Eastern Orthodox aesthetic - the idea was basically "bands do the Satan thing all the time but Christianity has a ton of really dark themes that are also incredibly metal". This game gives me the same vibes and it kicks rear end

It was Batushka, right? Hella good album.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Started playing this morning, and as someone who grew up Catholic...

drat, this is more Catholic than Mass.

Same.

Honestly my main issue with the game is that it lacks a doublejump and that just feels... wrong.
My second issue is that the Exposito boss fight is NOT against the giant eyeless baby itself directly.
Other than that, this game is consuming my life.

Both visuals and music are among the best I have seen in any platformer, and it easily takes the crown for most metal dang game from Slain, and it plays so much better, too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

Catholicism, specifically in this case Spanish, has a large history of dark symbolism.

This is specifically cited as an inspiration on the Kickstarter:

And the architecture of Seville.

Catholicism, and Catholic imagery, is often used as shorthand for "Evil religion" but it's always the baby stuff like censers, priests and the pope, iconography, and the like. I've rarely seen use of the truly creepy stuff to this degree (NWS for skeletons in the images following).

I've always had an appreciation for the dark aspects of Catholic culture and symbology, so the aesthetic of this game is right up my alley.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So far idk if the game is actually that beautiful, it's a collection of a certain kind of imagery but so far none of it has cohered for me into something really memorable yet. I like the color palette though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
dang, missing a baby

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

What does giving the thimble to the tree guy get me? I trekked all the way back down after finishing that area and gave it to him but he doesn't seem to want to talk to me anymore?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

municipal shrimp posted:

What does giving the thimble to the tree guy get me? I trekked all the way back down after finishing that area and gave it to him but he doesn't seem to want to talk to me anymore?

You might have done the bosses in the incorrect order? I got screwed out of the entire thing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I don't know if it's actual boss order or a flat timer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got it back to him with him still alive, he took the thing, but he had a branch growing out his chest and after I gave it to him he didn't speak further.

The Realm of the Fire Nuns took me awhile but was definitely my first boss, so it might just be a timer.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i came back after i gave him the thimble and i got an item, can't remember what tho.

edit: it was a bead accessory.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
How's the switch port? Super interested but i was burned a little on bloodstaineds shoddy port.

Do love my gothic horror platformers though!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone knows what to do at the bone books ?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurtofan posted:

i came back after i gave him the thimble and i got an item, can't remember what tho.

edit: it was a bead accessory.

Same here, maybe it was number of bosses after all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night10194 posted:

I got it back to him with him still alive, he took the thing, but he had a branch growing out his chest and after I gave it to him he didn't speak further.

The Realm of the Fire Nuns took me awhile but was definitely my first boss, so it might just be a timer.

Leave and come back, the item will be there. Sometimes if an NPC won't talk to you anymore it's because you're done with their quest and you need to go to a different screen and return to finish it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone knows what to do at the bone books ?

Get the bones listed, read the bones, obey the bones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does anyone know what the Heart of the Unnamed Minstrel sword core does? The description is not very helpful. I do not know what the "Stop" refers to.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Archenteron posted:

Get the bones listed, read the bones, obey the bones.

Thanks will do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

him hat look dumb

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Does anyone know what the Heart of the Unnamed Minstrel sword core does? The description is not very helpful. I do not know what the "Stop" refers to.
It means the parry window when you press RB (or equivalent).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

How's the switch port?

I'd like to know this too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pharohman777 posted:

lol, one of the remains you can find is that of a isekai protagonist.

Metatarsus of Rikusyo, the Traveller
Almost no details of his background are known, but those who crossed his path claimed later that Rikusyo carried a small, strange, luminous plate that emitted a faint voice.

If that was the intention, then man, he must have had the grossest, scariest, most depressing harem ever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the bones are backer rewards

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Oldstench posted:

I'd like to know this too.

Ended up caving and so far it's been totally smooth, about an hour in.

Excellent aesthetic and atmosphere, can already tell its going to be a favourite.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

these platforming sections are god awful. what the gently caress.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I got some bad news for you then cause I feel like this game has a lot more platforming than fighting so far. I just finished the three bosses and now I'm about to go across the bridge.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am really, really bad at this game. I am powering through but I did end up with one of the "You done died here" things in a really inconvenient spot which was annoying.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

No Wave posted:

these platforming sections are god awful. what the gently caress.

Yeah I feel that both the ledge grab and the walljump mechanics are overly finicky and could use some polish. Other than that i'm quite enjoying the game so far.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cuntellectual posted:

no not again after salt and sanctuary and death's gambit i've been hurt one too many times

god damnit :negative:

:same: :negative:

someone tell me it's better than death's gambit

e: My issues with S&S were that it was ugly as sin and it thought lore was a good replacement for story. My issue with Death's Gambit was that it was no fun to play.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 14, 2019

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Bogart posted:

:same: :negative:

someone tell me it's better than death's gambit

I really enjoyed salt and sanctuary but was disappointed by death's gambit. I think this game is pretty cool so far.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it would be nice if 95% of deaths didn't come from pits and spikes, when your character is good at fighting and crap at movement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't really found the platforming controls clunky or anything like that, but a lot of my deaths have been to falling into pits/spikes. It's to be expected in a platforming game. However I will say that this game does have what I call "the Mega Man problem" where a whole lot of the jumps are exactly one Penitent One Maximum Jump Length wide/tall so you have no room for error- either you get the maximum jump from the edge of the platform or you're probably not gonna make it. The ledge grabbing solves this most of the time but there will be ungrabbable ones here and there and welp

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a game that I think would benefit from an lp by a person who knows their Catholicism extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Definitely. Gimme a Bobbin Threadbare style LP of this game that goes over all of the crazy catholic pain and suffering that went into every pore of this thing.