Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Captain_Indigo posted:

One thing about this game is that it's often easier to stand in bad guys (particularly bosses) and hit them whilst taking damage, than jump to avoid every attack and whittle them down hit by hit. I don't know that it's even a flaw to be honest, and maybe its just me being impatient or whatever, but for large bosses like thorn baby scion centipede thing, melty face oil lady and the three pointy heads when they become one pointy head, I could only beat them by basically living inside their hitboxes and comboing them as much as I could whilst chugging estus flasks bile jars.
Yeah when fighting the first one in that spoiler list, I got my rear end kicked a handful of times trying to fight it normally, but then ran inside their hitbox and could hit both the mid-weakpoint and the head at once with an up-attack and it would deal over an entire bar per hit. The fight only took one cycle that time, and I'm glad because it was a giant pain in the rear end before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Indigo posted:

One thing about this game is that it's often easier to stand in bad guys (particularly bosses) and hit them whilst taking damage, than jump to avoid every attack and whittle them down hit by hit. I don't know that it's even a flaw to be honest, and maybe its just me being impatient or whatever, but for large bosses like thorn baby scion centipede thing, melty face oil lady and the three pointy heads when they become one pointy head, I could only beat them by basically living inside their hitboxes and comboing them as much as I could whilst chugging estus flasks bile jars.

Yeah, just use the prayer that speeds up your attack speed and you turn into a blender against them pretty much.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I mean, facetanking bosses and outlasting them instead of learning their moveset is a proud Dark Souls tradition.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The spin slash is an extremely powerful facetanking combo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elman posted:

It'd be nice if they were there for lore but it feels like they're just Kickstarter backer rewards. They're not very interesting, lore wise.

yeah its pretty obvious, some of them are like Hernan the Juggler said to the inquisitor "oh yeah? religion suxx :smug:",
that doesn't really gel with the universe I feel like

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kurtofan posted:

yeah its pretty obvious, some of them are like Hernan the Juggler said to the inquisitor "oh yeah? religion suxx :smug:",
that doesn't really gel with the universe I feel like

I feel it kind of does since some people like the guys you talk to via window in town mentions that he questions the Miracles sacred nature so the idea of people questioning the faith and facing the churches wrath feels correct in universe. To add to the discussion about "vestigial features", there were supposed to be some online features like a planting feature where you planted seeds and they'd randomly cough up items on someone else's game or a boss you'd fight who'd then "invade" other people and be recurringly stronger and other Souls features like this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain_Indigo posted:

face boss i didn't start tanking until the last phase. i think on my successful attempt i dodged everything before that and even during the last phase i dodged most stuff.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there like a menu or pause button when playing with a keyboard?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I've been a little disappointed with the bosses. Aside from the boss up in the snowy mountains I've beaten them in only one or two tries because you can just tank them. Some seem like a lot more style over actual substance regarding the fight. I did however enjoy the fight with the skeleton man and all the hands.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I do think there would be a lot of benefit to most of them having two more attack patterns.

The bosses do feel a little simple, part of it is because your character doesnt have a double jump or a pogo or any real sophisticated mechanics to test and ask you to use. But maybe your character also hits a little harder than he should.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly my biggest problem with the game is that it stops being dangerous pretty quick... *except* for spike pits. I think I died maybe 3 times to actual enemies and every other death was to spikes. It feels kinda crappy and artificial.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would really not mind the platforming all that much if not for the time it takes to run back to where you died. The controls of this game are very tight and precise and it's not exactly hard to time a jump right, because nothing will be really ever be much wider than what you can jump and still grab on to the ledge on the other side... but every so often you still mess up, and then it's back to the start and doing everything all over again. They might not even bother with respawns if they're going to do that, just outright force you to reload or something. I'd enjoy the whole thing more if you reappeared at, I don't know, the entrance of the current screen. Doesn't even have to be right at whatever pit or nest of spikes killed you, just not all the way back at the latest not-bonfire.

CJacobs posted:

Executions are a "why not" thing imo. Yeah they don't serve much purpose but they're cool and well animated and make you go OHHHH so why not? I just wish more enemies could be executed so it was more evenly spread.
Is it just me or do they grant more fervor than regular kills? They also seem to happen substantially more often if you time your counters right, although I haven't paid any attention to whether they only happen when the enemy's health is actually empty.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They get you a small tear bonus and more MP, yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I would really not mind the platforming all that much if not for the time it takes to run back to where you died. The controls of this game are very tight and precise and it's not exactly hard to time a jump right, because nothing will be really ever be much wider than what you can jump and still grab on to the ledge on the other side... but every so often you still mess up, and then it's back to the start and doing everything all over again. They might not even bother with respawns if they're going to do that, just outright force you to reload or something. I'd enjoy the whole thing more if you reappeared at, I don't know, the entrance of the current screen. Doesn't even have to be right at whatever pit or nest of spikes killed you, just not all the way back at the latest not-bonfire.

yeah there aren't enough shortcuts back to the closest shrine to justify insta-death spikes/pits.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Insta-kill spikes would be way less of a problem if a lot of them weren't of the Mega Man design of being 98% of your max jump length. It lead me to a walking off a platform to my death a few times because you really don't have the leeway to short a jump in a lot of situations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That doesn't seem to happen to me a lot, if only because I usually jump the gun instead and end up just barely close enough to still hang on to the ledge, which adds a bit of wiggle room to the timing. When I miss it's either by a much larger margin or because I got knocked out of the air by a passing boulder.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't understand why they put so many spikes in shortcuts, i often take the longer way because i lose more times on the spikes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only seriously bad offender is that one room with 4-5 swinging blades over spikes in the sleeping canvases. It took me 6 tries to get past it at all the first time, so fuuuck trying to use that room as a “convenience”

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I missed the door at the start of the game cause it blends with the background and I forgot about the key in my inventory.

I also missed the NPC Pilgrim encounters after the first one cause I visited his 2nd location before reaching the first one.

It'd be fine if those were just trinkets but they turned out to be really important and I only found out about them when I read spoilers in the late game :geno:

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 16, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yeah the movement options are really missable, more so because progression takes about 0 backtracking. I didnt even find the ghost that upgrades your trinket slogs until after I'd heaten the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i only found all that because bell land leads over to it. just last night actually.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

yeah the movement options are really missable, more so because progression takes about 0 backtracking. I didnt even find the ghost that upgrades your trinket slogs until after I'd heaten the game.

Same, I completely forgot about it because I went to Jondo as my first major area, met the npc, forgot about it, and never had a reason to return to that offshoot branch until I took a lap around the game near the end. It does help that one of the few fast travel locations is right next to it.

The pilgrim movement item is insanely situational to the point I don't understand why it's a thing. There's like two jumps in the entire game where you have to use it.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 16, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i don't understand why you can't have all relics on.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i don't understand why you can't have all relics on.

Yeah, they should just be passive upgrades or at least have no equip limit.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sivek posted:

Yeah, they should just be passive upgrades or at least have no equip limit.

Had this discussion with a friend of mine. This is how most Metroidvania games have it. No idea why it's not done here. Challenge maybe?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My guess is that it is so that you can have a larger number of upgrades that are individually powerful and interesting all the time, rather than being forced to make each one lackluster and relatively boring so that they don't add up to "completely overpowered" by the endgame.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

no, he's talking about relics, not beads. There are no gameplay implications of allowing the player to have them all on at once beyond having to go in the menu a few fewer times as there are no situations where you benefit from having more than 3 active at once.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I saw some folks hating on the self-buff spells but I thought the one that makes you invincible for a short amount of time was pretty good especially for the final boss. Since you get a visual indicator of when he’s going to do that nasty fireball attack I’d have enough time to cast it and just completely ignore the attack while wrecking his face.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My biggest complaint would probably be that you get more flasks instead of them getting more powerful or something. I don't want to spend an entire boss phase smashing eight kool aids into my face to fill my bar back up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that's probably the one major mechanical complaint I have. The health bar upgrades feel a bit pointless because there's no way to increase the bile flasks' potency, so having more HP to lose doesn't really help you. If you go from 100 HP to 110 HP, that's great, but your flasks still only heal 50 or whatever so you've essentially only gained 10 HP.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Just started playing this, but have to say the art style is amazing!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My biggest complaint would probably be that you get more flasks instead of them getting more powerful or something. I don't want to spend an entire boss phase smashing eight kool aids into my face to fill my bar back up.

yeah one of the best feelings in dark souls is getting the items that actually boost the potency of your estus.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are all the various bones you find good for something eventually? It annoys me to no end that I keep finding glowies, think "oh neat, new stuff" and then it's just another collectible and a Drakengard-grade sad story about someone I don't really care about.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Are all the various bones you find good for something eventually? It annoys me to no end that I keep finding glowies, think "oh neat, new stuff" and then it's just another collectible and a Drakengard-grade sad story about someone I don't really care about.

Collect them all and you get an alt character skin.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah one of the best feelings in dark souls is getting the items that actually boost the potency of your estus.

Fire Keeper Souls and Bone Shards baby.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cardiovorax posted:

You get paid for finding them

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

My favourite ones are the executioner, rope maker, and thief one because one died because he wouldn't execute a dog, the next because of accusations of making faulty rope which was proved wrong when he was hanged with his own wares, and the last because he was a Robin Hood like figure who tried to steal the Pope's jeweled robe and was tortured legendarily even by Cvstodia's standards. The one about the orator who reads out the execution notices of his whole family and the explorer who said that Cvstodia was the most uncivilized place were also quite interesting and amusing in a Soulsborne humor kind of way. Except the executioner one which I thought was cool since he didn't kill the doggo even though he likely knew the consequences of such insubordination. That one I thought was cool and badass of him.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

They give you a small amount of cash when you pick them up, and when you complete the left or right halves of the ossuary you store them in, you get 10000 Tears as a bonus for filling up a side.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess I'll count that as a "no" then. At least I know I don't have to worry about hunting down all of them if I end up with any gaps or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the brother fight was cool!