Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/1173033400535588869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good try, DJ. :hfive:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good try, DJ. :hfive:

That kid is due for some serious heart ache. I’m still broken from the 1997 finals (I was in 6th grade).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Super Bowl Sunday game between the Pens and Caps in 2010 was fantastic and I was friggin' fortunate to be there for multiple reasons.

Here's the full broadcast of ^this^ game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0oKcxQyJ4

For context, there was a gently caress-all blizzard which came through the day before and dumped a couple feet of snow on the DC area, causing the Pens to have to take the train to Washington. Adding to the intrigue was there was a second gently caress-all blizzard which came in either the next morning (Monday) or Tuesday.

Ironically enough, Sunday was a spectacular, bright, sunny day on which I trudged through knee-deep snow in moon boots to get from the JW Marriott to Verizon Center and it was so, so worth it.

e- One weird quirk about the broadcast is the change in color analysts for the third(?) period. Eddie Olczyk had to get back to Chicago for some sort of honor (and might have been trying to beat the weather out), so Mike Milbury joins Doc and Pierre for the finish.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 15, 2019

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

The Pens/Caps game on January 16th 2017 was pretty fun if you like a back and forth game with lots of goals.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

The Pens/Caps game on January 16th 2017 was pretty fun if you like a back and forth game with lots of goals.

Yeah this game kicked rear end even though the Penguins won.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I misread pens/caps as pens/flyers and am using that as an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0o6YZHNdM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

One of my favorite memories of all time. Thank you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

The only surprising thing about that video is Fleury wasn't the goalie for the Pens

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

eXXon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1172925669057208321

I don't know why defensemen seem to hate hitting UFA so much.

Was confused for a bit about how this set the record. Lmao forgot Suter and Parise got 13 years.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
In 2023-2024, the Wild will be paying $7.538M to a 39 year old Parise, $7.538M to a 38 year old Suter, $6M to a 36 year old Zuccarello, $7.575 to a 33 year old Spurgeon. $28.651M for those 4 guys. I'd much rather have Toronto's overpaid players problem where at least they're star players.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1173237255906967552

Acceptable

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Goddamn what a deal for McAvoy. Sweeney did very good.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Feels like a good bet that 7.3m would be an excellent value in three years as well so it's not like they structured it with a poison pill QO either.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Seriously, why do good defensemen keep signing lovely contracts instead of firing their agents?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

Seriously, why do good defensemen keep signing lovely contracts instead of firing their agents?

Because of the CBA structuring and the unwillingness/collusion of GMs to gently caress over labor OP.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Any interesting UFAs still out there?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Any interesting UFAs still out there?

Marleau, Pominville, Vanek and Phaneuf still haven't signed from the "washed up but once decent" camp.

Ben Hutton is really the only under 30 guy left. I'm surprised he didn't get a camp invite. He's a legitimate NHLer (albeit an unspectacular one).

Neither Brian Boyle or Adam McQuaid retired this offseason so they're still officially available I guess?

Brouwer, Sbisa, Read, Rieder, Stafford, DSP and Upshall (as always) got camp invites so one or two will sign the rest are likely done or europe bound.

It's a pretty thin list overall.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hey other teams singing Vanek ensures at least one goal any time you play Boston!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
He broke that streak last year. Before then, he had 34 goals and 70 points in 64 games against the Bruins.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

Hey other teams singing Vanek ensures at least one goal any time you play Boston!

The Leafs really could have used that insurance policy, TBH.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Gardiner and Kadri are gone and with them any remainders of the 2013 nightmare and that's what I'm going to convince myself is different this time. I mean they were pretty key ingredients in the last two failings against Boston as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2013 was the closest they got.

The last 2 years they got stomped in game 7.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Sign. The Mikko. Joe.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

2013 was the closest they got.

The last 2 years they got stomped in game 7.

Ah so we’re using ENG to rewrite history now, cool.

The crazy thing about the scores of those series is the Leafs played like absolute dogshit in 2013, they were full-on Randypuck and white-knuckling it every time the puck was in their end.

2013 was easily the most fraudulent Leafs team I’ve ever seen, made worse by the fact that their “success” emboldened Nonis to make them somehow significantly worse that offseason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They carried a 1 goal lead into the 3rd in 17-18 and then got buried. It was tied a minute into the period and then Toronto left the arena. 1 late ENG.

This year they never had a lead.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
preseason is upon us thank god

I'm watching Arizona preseason good god

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The long international nightmare is over.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Someone took a run at Pacioretty, he slashed him back then actually murdered some guy in the corner, high hit too

hockey is back

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Then scored.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
this game is gonna have a fight soon for sure

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
only 14 minutes for a hit to the head. hockey back

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it really is only a matter of time before the NHL preseason goes the way of the NFLs with these hits

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

only 14 minutes for a hit to the head. hockey back

Double minor for roughing and 10?

It's not truly hockey until it's like the last game my team was in, in which a player received two minutes for a hit to the head. :colbert:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Those cumlords at tickemaster won't let you print out your tickets or save them as PDFs so you can send one to a friend or whatever at all any more. Everyone needs to have a ticketmaster account and the app or log on to the mobile site and show up with your greasy-rear end, nigh-unscannable screen in your palm.

What if you're like my old man and you don't have a smart phone? Or am I missing something?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Dillbag posted:

Those cumlords at tickemaster won't let you print out your tickets or save them as PDFs so you can send one to a friend or whatever at all any more. Everyone needs to have a ticketmaster account and the app or log on to the mobile site and show up with your greasy-rear end, nigh-unscannable screen in your palm.

What if you're like my old man and you don't have a smart phone? Or am I missing something?

What if it actually isn't hard and old people just like complaining?

8 horsepower motors?! I have a buggy with 4 and that's hard enough. 8 are gunna kill someone! I don't need a car.

*complains 5 years later that everyone else is faster than he is*

If a person can set up online banking they can set up a ticket app.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Stretch Marx posted:

What if it actually isn't hard and old people just like complaining?

8 horsepower motors?! I have a buggy with 4 and that's hard enough. 8 are gunna kill someone! I don't need a car.

*complains 5 years later that everyone else is faster than he is*

If a person can set up online banking they can set up a ticket app.

But he just said dude doesn't even have a smartphone. Even airlines will let you receive them as text and save as an image.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
If you still refuse to own a smart phone in 2019 that's a personal choice to make your life less convenient.

Just like how my mom couldn't for the life of her figure out why me and my brother liked them drat computers so much for decades. Until she actually sat down and used one.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Nah, you don't have to defend Ticketmaster.

There's no technical reason you can't print a ticket, except on top of extorting you for fees they also want to force you to install their app so they can collect some data. It's them who suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Whaddya mean I can't update my bank book anymore?! Your president is about to receive an unpleasant letter in the next 2 weeks.