Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

2013 was easily the most fraudulent Leafs team I’ve ever seen,

"Fraudulent", what an interesting word choice. What would make a leafs team fraudulent, besides quality and class?

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1173564210778976256

There is nothing stranger to me than how people revere bob mckenzie. He harasses people on the phone for information. Said it before, I would love to see a skit/actual segment where players sit around the table and speculate on the careers of the insiders.

Anyone remember back when TSN had this comedy guy hired back around early-mid 2000s and he did a skit where he interviewed players to show how they always respond with the same cut and paste cliches no matter what they asked? Like he said "[player] I just got engaged to J.Lo, how do you feel about that" "oh we just need to get in and put pucks deep and work hard etc etc". That was good poo poo. I've never been able to find it on youtube or anything. I feel like his name was Stuart something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fisting by many posted:

Nah, you don't have to defend Ticketmaster.

There's no technical reason you can't print a ticket, except on top of extorting you for fees they also want to force you to install their app so they can collect some data. It's them who suck.

It's to prevent third-party ticket selling. Except it's really just a fig leaf because Ticketmaster does so much to enable that poo poo in so many other ways, this is just bullshit.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Stretch Marx posted:

What if it actually isn't hard and old people just like complaining?

8 horsepower motors?! I have a buggy with 4 and that's hard enough. 8 are gunna kill someone! I don't need a car.

*complains 5 years later that everyone else is faster than he is*

If a person can set up online banking they can set up a ticket app.

What you should worry about is that this is just a means so that they can charge a "convenience fee" to whoever you sell your tickets to.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

codo27 posted:

"Fraudulent", what an interesting word choice. What would make a leafs team fraudulent, besides quality and class?

Winning games while actually being egregiously awful.

That year was so bad because, among other things, the media was at Bush White House levels of spin. Talking head after talking head getting up there, insisting that getting outshot 45-20 meant that Carlyle was a defensive genius, and the Leafs would continue winning so long as super-elite defensive forward Tyler Bozak could continue to carry useless plug Phil Kessel.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I mean, this part is just me, but I generally don't sell my tickets. If this is a common thing for you then yes I could see that as a problem.

Also I'm not defending ticketmaster, I'm defending the concept that a cell phone based ticket tracking system isn't bad inherently and is only bad by the people managing it. The actual system fundimentally makes poo poo easier. The smart phone itself essentially obseleted a huge number of physical devices. The problem is that most people with the drive to make these thing keep turning out to be sociopaths.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pretty sweet they don't charge 4.99/mnth for access to their app and a 20.99 app service fee everytime a ticket is scanned. Pretty generous of them, if you ask me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stretch Marx posted:

If you still refuse to own a smart phone in 2019 that's a personal choice to make your life less convenient.

Just like how my mom couldn't for the life of her figure out why me and my brother liked them drat computers so much for decades. Until she actually sat down and used one.

I have a customer who is 70ish, has glaucoma , and quite frankly doesn’t have the dexterity to operate a smartphone with accessibility features on. Can’t see the screen, and it’s too late for him to learn how the accessibility features work (I recommended another flip phone for him).

So like, yes, most people should have smartphones at this point, and yes there are people who refuse to learn and just need to accept that they really should learn. But the assumption that every single person who doesn’t have a smartphone is because they’re choosing not to is not s good assumption to make, so I encourage you to really take a second look at your opinion.

Edit: the other argument I would add is that once someone buys a ticket, it’s their ticket to keep or sell, so making it harder to sell is just Ticketmaster being loving Ticketmaster.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 16, 2019

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I very much enjoyed being able to watch hockey yesterday and also it was amusing to watch the Coyotoes go 0-8 on the powerplay while giving up two shorthanded goals in the process.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a customer who is 70ish, has glaucoma , and quite frankly doesn’t have the dexterity to operate a smartphone with accessibility features on. Can’t see the screen, and it’s too late for him to learn how the accessibility features work (I recommended another flip phone for him).

So like, yes, most people should have smartphones at this point, and yes there are people who refuse to learn and just need to accept that they really should learn. But the assumption that every single person who doesn’t have a smartphone is because they’re choosing not to is not s good assumption to make, so I encourage you to really take a second look at your opinion.

Edit: the other argument I would add is that once someone buys a ticket, it’s their ticket to keep or sell, so making it harder to sell is just Ticketmaster being loving Ticketmaster.

This is absolutely correct.

It's literally just Ticketmaster being difficult, and trying to force something that people don't want to have. When I'm buying something, I am buying season tickets to have the security of getting in, among other things. Digitizing everything takes that away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers moved over to mobile-only last year, so I take it we were a test market for the league and everyone adopted it this year despite the confusion and similar examples to older people etc given. I heard they can resolve this by going to the box office prior to the game, but I've seen (bizarrely) long lines for that. They said it was to make things quicker going in, but I honestly don't see how scanning a piece of paper was slowing anyone down so it was obviously a BS reason. The inability to send your friends their tickets from my phone wallet last year was just eye rolling.

I've bought Seat Geek tickets for a game in early October, and it sounds like I need an account on something called XFER for the Islanders so that's yet another thing I need to look into and sign up for. I expect it's just another Ticketmaster team site.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

It’s 2019 and Pandora’s box is already open but lol if you don’t realize at this point that smartphones and IoT in general are a soul sucking scourge with some coincidental benefits about making commerce slightly more convenient. Any resistance to making our lives more dependent on them should be applauded IMO

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can we cut this off before you sad old dudes start talking about all the dang superhero movies today and how music was better?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just because I didn't mention it: I exclusively used my phone before last season anyway, as I think it's the best way for me as I'm good at forgetting pieces of paper. I still think it's stupid to force it though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Neo-ludditism is super bad and frustrating, but Ticketmaster is clearly worse. I'm with the luddites on this one.

Looking forward to getting to watch some Canucks today. :shobon:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone else play the new NHL game? The new "feature" this year seems to be players taking one-timers from their knee every time. Much value.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guys know about the NHL 2004 restoration project right.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chad Sexington posted:

But he just said dude doesn't even have a smartphone. Even airlines will let you receive them as text and save as an image.

Airlines (at least Delta and American, the two I fly) give you choice of printable PDF, print at the airport, and eBoarding Pass.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

I mean, this part is just me, but I generally don't sell my tickets. If this is a common thing for you then yes I could see that as a problem.

Also I'm not defending ticketmaster, I'm defending the concept that a cell phone based ticket tracking system isn't bad inherently and is only bad by the people managing it. The actual system fundimentally makes poo poo easier. The smart phone itself essentially obseleted a huge number of physical devices. The problem is that most people with the drive to make these thing keep turning out to be sociopaths.

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad for having it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MattBarnaby3636/status/1173588206354407426

It never sounded to me either team officially offer sheeted him, though. :confused:

e-
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1173625481502937088

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My beef is 50% that my old man is disabled and losing his vision, and only just figured out how to use his flip phone. The likelyhood of him getting a smart phone before he dies is slim to none, so he's going to have to shuffle to the pickup window and stand in line to get physical tickets just to get in the building.

The other 50% of my beef is that it's an extra hoop set up solely for collecting data for tracking and marketing purposes, not to prevent you from selling your tickets. You can send your tickets to anyone for free... as long as they have a ticketmaster account...

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

https://twitter.com/mrgrozz/status/1172718102787874816

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Somehow none of this actually surprises me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not real of course, but all too believable regardless.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Love it. I wish it was real

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone else play the new NHL game? The new "feature" this year seems to be players taking one-timers from their knee every time. Much value.

ya, I'm liking it, but I haven't bought a NHL game since 17 I think so for me it feels like theres a bunch of new features.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Dillbag posted:

The other 50% of my beef is that it's an extra hoop set up solely for collecting data for tracking and marketing purposes, not to prevent you from selling your tickets. You can send your tickets to anyone for free... as long as they have a ticketmaster account...

My understanding is that mobile-only ticketing exists to solve the problem of ticket resale fraud. It's a huge mess every time someone shows up with a printed PDF ticket they bought on Kijiji, and it turns out 3 other people showed up with the same ticket. Of course, everybody except the fans are making huge money off ticket reselling so they don't want to limit it in any practical way. Mobile-only is basically DRM for tickets in that each ticket can only exist once in the system in a way they can control. They would rather piss off season ticket holders by getting rid of physical tickets and deal with upset grandpas at the ticket counter than lose their stubhub kickbacks and have to somehow refund the fraud victims. And yeah, getting your sweet, sweet data is just icing on that cake.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Not to mention if you purchased the ticket online, they already have most of your pertinent info. Again if your biggest fear is identity theft, you should have destroyed your computer a decade ago because you are already hosed. Also Air Lines do the same thing and are phasing out the same things so don't fly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Radium also has all your info and recordings of you masturbating he will send to your family unless you transfer 1 Bitcoin.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

radium!!!!!! :argh:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I prefer physical or PDF printout tickets to mobile tickets. It's more of a pain to have to bring up the app and tickets on my phone than it is just printing the tickets out and bringing them with me to the game.

Also, Oilers tried to go mobile-only with tickets last season but it was such a disaster in the pre-season that they were forced to go back to allowing tickets to be printed out.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Kilza posted:

Also, Oilers tried to go mobile-only with tickets last season but it was such a disaster in the pre-season that they were forced to go back to allowing tickets to be printed out.

I suspect this is also going to happen in Vancouver.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1173669412739719168

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
My company doesn't make money if NHL games don't occur and the last lockout nearly wiped us out so uh... thank gently caress

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

My understanding is that mobile-only ticketing exists to solve the problem of ticket resale fraud. It's a huge mess every time someone shows up with a printed PDF ticket they bought on Kijiji, and it turns out 3 other people showed up with the same ticket. Of course, everybody except the fans are making huge money off ticket reselling so they don't want to limit it in any practical way. Mobile-only is basically DRM for tickets in that each ticket can only exist once in the system in a way they can control. They would rather piss off season ticket holders by getting rid of physical tickets and deal with upset grandpas at the ticket counter than lose their stubhub kickbacks and have to somehow refund the fraud victims. And yeah, getting your sweet, sweet data is just icing on that cake.

I once had to tell a group of 40 WWII vets that their suite tickets (who had driven 2 hours on a bus to Dodger Stadium) they had won on a raffle were no longer valid because the star (who owned the suite) 's assistant forgot that she has printed out the tickets back in March. The assistant then received a call from said star the week of the game that he needed to give the suite to a client/friend. So she reprinted the tickets. Tickets in March no longer valid. Literally nothing I could do since the suite was full. You ever had a guy with an eye patch tell you that your "grandfather should be ashamed of you?"

gently caress printed tickets.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Im hype for the 22-23 lockout

Is 0 an even number for roulette

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

If we could only be so lucky

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1173674241448759298

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nice

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That’s a good deal for his Clayton Keller-like production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

FAS May also be interested to know that Michal Neuvirth hasn’t been participating in camp scrimmages because, to quote Babcock “he wasn’t feeling good body-wise”