Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks training camp has begun and Boeser is not there. How is this organization so terrible both on and off the ice?

I don’t mean to defend the Canucks as an organization but they’re hardly alone in missing an important young RFA at camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

this is true, but they are definitely the only team who is missing an important young RFA top line center whomst they can't afford to pay because they're spending 30 million dollars on their bottom 2 lines and third D pairing. please resume laughing at the Nucks at your leisure, thank you

Right, I had forgotten again that the Nucks have no cap space because that’s insane, carry on

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s too much money and Mitch’s point total is gonna drop by at least 15 this year and I do not care at all

The gang’s all back together and the season’s starting lets freakin gooooooooo :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So during the last off-season before Nylander signed I assumed the Leafs would be able to lock up the three for ~$23-24M. They’re currently coming in at around $29.5M which is.... spicy.

Matthews and Marner did have great seasons which hurts the bottom line, but they’re gonna have to live with a replacement-level player or two more than they probably should for the foreseeable future.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Exactly the same argument was made about Tavares and Matthews and Nylander. If you keep signing guys to above market deals you leave little margin for error and have to draft well and pick up league minimum bargains every year. It's not impossible but why make life harder for yourself?

You do it because otherwise you wouldn’t have the really good players on your team. We all saw what the Leafs teams of the early Kessel era looked like when they were icing one good dude and a whole roster of okayish guys on $4-5M/yr deals, it was miserable. Most guys you’ll be able to acquire for the difference in dollars aren’t even worth it in terms of value anyway.

By my math the Leafs have lost out on enough to sign... one decent FA? It’s not ideal but I prefer this scenario to the other potential ones.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

2013 was the closest they got.

The last 2 years they got stomped in game 7.

Ah so we’re using ENG to rewrite history now, cool.

The crazy thing about the scores of those series is the Leafs played like absolute dogshit in 2013, they were full-on Randypuck and white-knuckling it every time the puck was in their end.

2013 was easily the most fraudulent Leafs team I’ve ever seen, made worse by the fact that their “success” emboldened Nonis to make them somehow significantly worse that offseason.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

FAS May also be interested to know that Michal Neuvirth hasn’t been participating in camp scrimmages because, to quote Babcock “he wasn’t feeling good body-wise”

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Have we made fun of this yet?

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1173734442894069760

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I saw someone compare baseball fielders who never make errors because they have no range to hockey defenders who never turn the puck over because they never have possession and it’s perfect.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Apparently Brayden Point just signed for 3 years at $6.75 million AAV.

loving Tampa

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1176170148962754560

Breaking news: Michal Neuvirth “doesn’t feel up to” playing in the NHL this season

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This is incredible

Also the I vertical line is basically a lock

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

N:

https://twitter.com/MouradB/status/1176330126310744064

V:

Taylour

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Details of Matthews’ charges are out and it makes him look like a creep. Time to kiss that C goodbye Auston!

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5295831

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

well this is quite a bit worse than the initial reports

The best case scenario here is that Auston Matthews just casually harasses women for kicks (obviously bad) and is also a big (but misguided) Ace Ventura fan

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, but on the plus side the ending reads like the final line of an Onion article.

Yeah this is leading to some pretty solid dunking on:

https://twitter.com/JoshShiaman/status/1176643985647034368?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As far as I know Good Toronto Boy John Tavares has never operated a dog fighting ring

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Now cock fighting? Whew boy...

goldrush posted:

Dog fighting? No. Cock-fighting? Maybe. Clock-munching? Definitely.

Shameful profiling of a Portuguese Canadian, I expected better from this place

ThinkTank posted:

Craig MacTavish got stinking drunk, hopped into his car and casually murdered a pedestrian. After a slap on the wrist jail sentence he immediately returned to playing in the NHL and has suffered no lasting career effects as a result.

The NHL is not exactly a forward thinking organization.

Also vehicular manslaughter was oddly normalized for a while. The 80s were hosed up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

Tyson Barrie looks like Tyler Bozak if he spent a week coked out of his mind.

I was thinking something similar during the game tonight, he’s got that wide-eyed perfect circle stare thing going on :stare:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah that's ridiculous, I don't understand how the team doesn't suspend him a game over that. Like, Matthews just thought nobody would find out he'd been charged with a crime?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

On the grand scale of things I don't think drunk and disorderly is actually worth suspending someone over.

The whole thing seems to be inflated by "how dare you disrespect me a female veteran raaaaar" when in the telling Matthews and co were just messing around with what seemed to be an empty security vehicle.

This isn't a homer thing for the Leafs, this is just "this literally doesn't matter" Sure give him a fine and some community service, but don't make this into an actual thing.

e: this is a hell of a snipe

Regardless of how serious you think his actions are he's tried to duck responsibility for them and in doing so made a PR nightmare for his employer even worse. I think some kind of discipline for that would be expected if only to get him to smarten the hell up. He's a public figure, lessons on disclosing this kind of stuff is part of training camp for these people.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fwiw Hakstol is specifically coaching the defense and PK, like DJ Smith did last year. Can he do better than Smith’s patented “50% PK success rate against the Bruins” strategy? Only time will tell.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

The PK though, hooooooo boy. I'm not sure if Hak mostly left that to Laperierre or what, but it was garbage

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Given how bad the Flyers PK was under him, I'm gonna go with "no"

I’m not exactly hopeful but it’s worth noting that while the head coach is ultimately responsible for the whole team usually a lot of those systems are handled by assistants, so I’m trying to remain open minded

What I’m not open minded about is Cody Ceci, that guy sucks roughly exactly as much as Zaitsev did. I still don’t understand why they didn’t cut bait with him after the trade.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

lol I thought that was Ryan O’Byrne getting spun around in the corner to start but I looked it up and he’s retired. Uncanny resemblance though

In Leafs news Ben Harpur was waived, ending Leafs fans long nightmare. Ceci... remains, but Harpur disappeared.

Looking like Rasmus Sandin is a lock to make the team anyway, meaning it’s over for the rest of you bitches :getin:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

Do you think they keep him up beyond the nine games?

I think it’s up to him and how he plays, but he looks like he belongs in the top 4 right now and if he keeps it up there’s no way they send him back

pacerhimself posted:

It's from 2014, when he was playing in the KHL

I knew it had to be him!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Marner deal is a yikes from me dawg

He’s only overpaid by *checks notes* roughly 1.5M aav

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to catch as many games as I can, though maybe I'll consider becoming a Maple Leafs fan :v:

Your choice is your own, but don't think he won't do it :ese:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Nic Petan is on waivers if anyone wants a small playmaking forward coaches don’t like

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did the NHL purposely wait til september ended to wake Green Days career :chord:

boooooo hiss

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Alizee posted:

LAS what are we feeling projected Wednesday night line up is?

Based on the preseason it seems likely that it’s:

Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Timashov - Gauthier - Spezza

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
Sandin - Marincin

With the scratches being Shore, Liljegren, and Holl

Biggest surprises are probably Timashov making the team at all and of course Sandin. Somehow we’re cursed to always play Gauthier and Marincin, although the argument can be made that they legitimately won their spots in camp.

Mikheyev looked surprisingly great in preseason so I can’t wait for him to suddenly be terrible when the games count. Also I can’t believe I’m saying this but it’ll be nice when Hyman comes back and kicks Kappy off that line, he does not look like he knows what to do with Tavares/Marner at ES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

get ready to uh slightly chuckle, it's going to be tavares.

My preferred option is Nylander and the game is delayed while the fan base burns the arena to the ground