Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Truly, it has been the year of the chicken sandwich.

Chik-Fil-A continues its wave of expansion and domination. Every QSR is scrambling to bring up its answer to the almighty CFA

Some of these answers have been... pathetic

And some have been bona fide phenomenons. Everyboty probably remembers teh buzz behind Popeye's chicken sando:

Fights, riots, at one point even a gunpoint robbery
https://www.wkrn.com/news/group-demands-popeyes-chicken-sandwiches-at-gunpoint/

Meanwhile obviously there's the classics like Wendy's. And weird bougie offshoots like Shake Shack, etc.

This is our time and place to dsicuss chicken sandwiches - opinions, facts, anecdotes, speculation, and statistics.

Editor's note: The chicken sandwich was born in America, and we should honor its lineage. Europeans, please refrain from calling chicken sandwiches "chicken burgers" unless it is a sandwich of unbreaded, chopped chicken meat.

In memoriam:

Owen Carey (April 22, 1999 - April 22, 2017)

This post is dedicated to Mr. Owen Carey of Crowborough, Sussex, England, UK, who was killed by a chicken sandwich just two years ago. In hopes that expanding our understanding of chicken sandwiches will prevent future such tragedies.
vestigia nulla retrorsum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hate chicken sandwich cut off

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I could destroy a chicken sandwich rn

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

vyst posted:

I could destroy a chicken sandwich rn

I'm gonna destroy you rn

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Being a fan of chicken sandwiches over burgers, in general, this has been quite the year. I must say!

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Fun fact: The owner of Chik-Fil-A collects Ford Tauruses, because her business originallys tarted selling chicken sandwiches to workers at Ford's Atlanta plant where they are made.

On October 27, 2006, the last Ford Taurus rolls off the assembly line in Hapeville, Georgia. The keys to the silver car went to 85-year-old Truett Cathy, the founder of the Chick-fil-A fast-food franchise, who took it straight to his company’s headquarters in Atlanta and added it to an elaborate display that included 19 other cars, including one of the earliest Fords.

Cathy credited the success of his first restaurant to workers at the Ford plant across the street, according to the Associated Press. In 1946 with his brother, Cathy opened his first restaurant, the Dwarf Grill. In 1961, he developed Chick-fil-A’s chicken sandwich and asked diners from the Ford plant to try it.

“I received it with mixed emotion,” Cathy told the AP about the car, which he added to a display of vehicles in a museum at Chick-fil-A’s corporate headquarters.

Under the hood and trunk had been signed by the employees at the plant. Cathy, who died in 2014, stood at the end of the assembly line to greet the employees as the car finished completion.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

its all nice on rice posted:

Being a fan of chicken sandwiches over burgers, in general, this has been quite the year. I must say!

That's crazy, you're crazy, I like your style

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can either eat that goddamn roast beef or you can go to bed! :catstare:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm gonna destroy you rn

Don't threaten me with a good time bb

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You can either eat that goddamn roast beef or you can go to bed! :catstare:

But why, when ARby's also sells a chicekn sandwich???

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

vyst posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time bb

Sorry won't do so in the future since u asked politely

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JK Fresco posted:

But why, when ARby's also sells a chicekn sandwich???

Uuuuggggghhhhhhhbhhh! :argh:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Chickem buttons

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
We're combining food that we've been making for decades in the exact same way we've been doing it for decades. Nothing has changed and it's some great phenomenon. What's next a pizza war between dominos and the p hut? What a loving time to be alive.

Worry not goons, 2020 could be the year for pants making GBS threads.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pork wantons for the win. :munch:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The arby's chiken sandwich is weird because it has no sauce or pickles at all. Not even mayo. I guess they serve them "naked" so you can sauce with horsey sauce or arby's sauce yourself but it's a werid decision to leave out pickles

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RocktheCaulk posted:

Chickem buttons

Lol yea yea, seconded

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

JK Fresco posted:

The arby's chiken sandwich is weird because it has no sauce or pickles at all. Not even mayo. I guess they serve them "naked" so you can sauce with horsey sauce or arby's sauce yourself but it's a werid decision to leave out pickles

Arby's is a step above subway in just garbage rear end dick food

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

RocktheCaulk posted:

Chickem buttons

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nice button. This thread is now about buttons.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oh wow really like this JK Fresco thanks for posting it to look at

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

JK Fresco posted:

What happens if you get it at the drive through?? Do they sauce it with your choice? Do they throw packets at you?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://youtu.be/7-BtC5qcIHA

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Wendy's chicken sandwich is aight.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

What happens if you get it at the drive through?? Do they sauce it with your choice? Do they throw packets at you?

I assume the latter

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Any non breaded chicken sandwiches?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edgar posted:

:frogout:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Edgar posted:

I think I'm gunna barf

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Love me sum of dem chicken sandwiches, also chick fe la is over rated. If you buy the tyson spicy chicken in a bag you can make like 12 spicy chicken burgs for the same price.
:metis:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
That sandwich

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Did anyone evwe try the popeye chicken sandwich while it was out? Was it wven a real thing or was iy a pure media fabrication

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Edgar posted:

Every place has a non-breaded option, and it is always terrible.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Not every food item needs to be covered in a layer of corn syrup to be edible. Chick filet doesn't sauce their sandwiches either. In fact, if you look at the history of the chicken sandwich, you can trace it back to the chicken biscuit. These are an extremely simple combo of fried chicken on a biscuit and this is where Hardees come into play as the purveyor of the finest chicken on bread combination.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Chil fil a haa pickles though. Also they butter their buns. Butter is the original mayo

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
There's a couple of indie shops in RVA that sell incredible artisanal chicken sandwiches.

Mean Bird is going out of business for hipster reasons but they're famous for their vegan chicken sandwich.

Hot Chick makes the finest chicken sandwich that you big city corporate types will never understand.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The current buzzy fancy chicken sandwich shop in NY is Fuku

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

RVWinkle posted:

There's a couple of indie shops in RVA that sell incredible artisanal chicken sandwiches.

Mean Bird is going out of business for hipster reasons but they're famous for their vegan chicken sandwich.

Hot Chick makes the finest chicken sandwich that you big city corporate types will never understand.

Vegan chicken sandwich and going out of business?

You don't say.

JK Fresco posted:

Fuk u

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

JK Fresco posted:

Great.
Artisinal hipster chicken sandwiches.
Exactly what the world always wanted.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RVWinkle posted:

Not every food item needs to be covered in a layer of corn syrup to be edible. Chick filet doesn't sauce their sandwiches either. In fact, if you look at the history of the chicken sandwich, you can trace it back to the chicken biscuit. These are an extremely simple combo of fried chicken on a biscuit and this is where Hardees come into play as the purveyor of the finest chicken on bread combination.

But my horsey sauce tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JK Fresco posted:

Did anyone evwe try the popeye chicken sandwich while it was out? Was it wven a real thing or was iy a pure media fabrication

It was good. Big rear end piece of chicken, not dried out, good bun.

I got two, spicy variant was best