Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Haha this fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's the only time that somersault has ever worked.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

old.flv posted:

MOVE OF THE YEAR

!!!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God drat!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skellys corner really needs to call for some ground and pound here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought skelly was loving done to start the round.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Chad doesn't actually have muscles that get tired, so he can do weird grappling all day, but he can't actually strike with his weird noodle limbs

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao DC gives that somersault a 9/10

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Griffin throws up a guillotine like a white belt and probably just lost this.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
OH MY loving GOD

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Gracefulness of Chas Skelly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is the platonic ideal of "Honourable Mention Fight of the Year"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FOTN

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Griffin's still done more damage but a dumb fight from him.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
In the first round it sounded like the crowd was behind Griffin, but I think they've been won over by this "Chas Skelly" :airquote: character

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I love Durinho just over and over yelling GET THAT BONUS

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

perhaps the greatest fight of all time

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Fun fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Wait did I just hear the ref say "No kick to the kidneys"?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's a strong contender for top two stupidest looking Chas Skelly fights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That was a really fun fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut posted:

Wait did I just hear the ref say "No kick to the kidneys"?

https://streamable.com/r48bs

Yeah what the gently caress is this can someone explain? What kind of rules was that ref enforcing there?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There used to be a rule about throwing kicks/heel stomps while you had someone in your guard to the kidney area, I thought it was removed in the new unified rules, but I don't know what ruleset they're fighting under in Canada at the moment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They’re using old rules.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dan Didio posted:

There used to be a rule about throwing kicks/heel stomps while you had someone in your guard to the kidney area, I thought it was removed in the new unified rules, but I don't know what ruleset they're fighting under in Canada at the moment.

They're fighting under the old unifieds.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

https://streamable.com/r48bs

Yeah what the gently caress is this can someone explain? What kind of rules was that ref enforcing there?

The only thing vaguely close is the rule against stomping a grounded opponent, and stomping includes striking with the heel :shrug:

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

the only time I really remember it coming up was with BJ Penn heel striking people from closed guard

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

The only thing vaguely close is the rule against stomping a grounded opponent, and stomping includes striking with the heel :shrug:

Is stomping different from soccer kicks to the ribs? Cuz those are fine. Also the kidneys specifically? How the gently caress are you supposed to tell.

Seems real dumb all around.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

They're fighting under the old unifieds.

That will be why then, kidney strikes in that position are illegal under the old rules. The reasoning is essentially that kidneys don't heal as well as other organs, particularly in fighters who are constantly stressing their kidneys to breaking point.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Is Gaethje still planning to retire soonish?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He said in the lead up to this that he'll retire when he doesn't believe he can still be the best in the world, which is probably further away than his original, I'll be gone in three to four fights thing. Who knows.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

Is stomping different from soccer kicks to the ribs? Cuz those are fine. Also the kidneys specifically? How the gently caress are you supposed to tell.

Seems real dumb all around.

Yeah, cuz it specifies striking with the bottom of the foot or the heel

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Katona looking like count Orlock in that promo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brad Katona's voice is the aural equivalent of Chas Skelly's body.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aw gently caress I like cheering for Native folks esp from the Prairies, but I can't not cheer for Katona.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

He said in the lead up to this that he'll retire when he doesn't believe he can still be the best in the world, which is probably further away than his original, I'll be gone in three to four fights thing. Who knows.

I mean if he just keeps fighting until Khabib retires he can probably just default in to it right? Assuming they never give Tony a title shot because reasons.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad they let Azure be the blue corner :allears:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

When he last talked about it before the other day he was coming off the back of 2 straight knock outs to Alvarez and Porier and both of those came I suppose - relatively late after he'd been in a loving war. This is also after he had like 10 fights in row where he was slanging and banging with an insane abandon. His last two fights he's still been crazy but a lot more controlled. I think he's finally started listening to his coaches and stopped just biting down on his mouth guard and going hard as gently caress immediately and realised if he continues winning he can get into the mix fairly quickly.

If he wins tonight you'd have to think he's right in line for a title shot.

Ugly Tony is obviously the consensus number 1 contender but looking through the rankings you've got
Khabub
Tony
McGregor - coked out punching boomers
Porier - just got cooked
Cowboy - welp they're fighting right now
Gaethje
Iaquinta
Felder
Lee

So you'd think at worst with a win he's 1 fight away from getting a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Go brad :allears: