Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the transmission selector may be infrequently used but it's important that it is used correctly and has visual indicators to clearly show what's happening. on the left hand side they would be potentially screened by the wheel, which you do not want.

importance of controls in a car does not necessarily correlate to how often they are used

OK then, put the dial on the left side of the wheel, and put the indicator in the instrument cluster (like column-mounted transmission selectors have always done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the transmission selector may be infrequently used but it's important that it is used correctly and has visual indicators to clearly show what's happening. on the left hand side they would be potentially screened by the wheel, which you do not want.

importance of controls in a car does not necessarily correlate to how often they are used

I hate, hate, HATE the rotary shifter. It does have one use though: backing a trailer is made easier with it if you have to do the back-and-forth thing into a small space.

Not that the column shifter makes it hard, of course. Push-buttons all in a row would probably be the better way, but why change from column shift? At least with a column prndl, I always know "up" is park. No ambiguity, none. Punch the shifter into the roof and you will not move. For safety's sake, that is much more important than being able to shuffle between R and D with one finger.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of new shifters. I got upgraded to a Volvo XC40 Recharge at Sixt and drove around a bit for 3 days (just posted this in the EV thread too).

The shifter is a stick in the normal place but it doesn't move. So the only indication of what gear you're in is that the font for the selected gear is slightly bigger on the dash. Also the electric parking brake can gently caress off. Otherwise it's quite nice.

It has 4 modes (hybrid, ev-only, performance and offroad). Hybrid seems to used up most of the battery pretty quickly but will start the ICE up at highway speeds. EV only has sufficient acceleration to get around but not enough to be fun or impressive really. And the range is only about 45km, which might be technically enough to cover the average commute but IMO is annoyingly short. Like I wouldn't be able to make it across the city to football practice and back tomorrow (if I had it at home), and public charging is annoying with the apps and registration bullshit. Also at least 3-4 hours to charge even this small battery. At least it's cheaper than Swedish gas :)

Not a fan of how big and tall it is but overall the driving experience is very relaxing at least on the well maintained roads. Speed bumps feel pretty harsh, maybe due to the enormous wheels. The interior is nice, and the tablet thingie works well, though the HVAC controls through it are annoying and the navigation seems dumb sometimes.

I think if I needed something for boring commuting this could work, but I'd want at least 80km of ev range or so. Having to plug in every time I stop anywhere got pretty old even in 3 days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
never understood the hatred for EPBs to be honest, what's the deal there?

that shifter is real annoying though, agreed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

never understood the hatred for EPBs to be honest, what's the deal there?

that shifter is real annoying though, agreed
It's a little button that you can push up or down, but always stays in the same position. Is the brake engaged? Disengaged? Did I just do anything now? Who knows. I just don't like the lack of tactile indication of what's happening.

Also won't let you do sick turns on snow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it has a light and an indicator

the sick turns in snow is legitimate i guess

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

In my daily I strongly prefer the EPB. Takes up less space on the console and I can be dainty with the button. It also turns itself off when I go into drive which is something I’m surprised other cars don’t do.

No sick drifts in the snow at all tho, which is a god damned bummer that makes me sad.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lots of cars have EPBs these days. What is the advantage for the manufacturers? I can't imagine anyone chooses a car based on the presence of an EPB. I can't imagine a marketer even thinks that someone chooses a car based on an EPB. So it has to be cheaper or simpler for manufacturing, or allow more parts interchange between models. Are parking brake cables something that cause trouble enough to affect JD Power ratings?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My personally owned automatic vehicles have all been column shift, I prefer it over everything else due to muscle memory. Leaving the hotel in the morning usually has me pawing at the where the shifter should be before I have to stop and remember what brand I'm driving.

I learned that the wrangler will shift into park if you open the door, super annoying when you are trying to get it into a very specific position without driving into the trench. This never happened with a manual!:argh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

Lots of cars have EPBs these days. What is the advantage for the manufacturers? I can't imagine anyone chooses a car based on the presence of an EPB. I can't imagine a marketer even thinks that someone chooses a car based on an EPB. So it has to be cheaper or simpler for manufacturing, or allow more parts interchange between models. Are parking brake cables something that cause trouble enough to affect JD Power ratings?

it's cheaper, it's simpler for manufacturing, the switch and mechanism can be used across platforms, and it increases console space

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My F-150 has an EPB with a physical switch thing by my knee.

But! If you put it into reverse the touchscreen puts a little digital button on the backup camera to turn on the brake too. And it's an automatic brake which only activates when you stop and turns off when you lift off the normal brake again.

So if you are backing up to a trailer using the camera you can just hit the touchscreen button and when you are in position the EPB turns on to hold you at the hitch. No looking away. No toggle on/off if you were not quite right. A nice little feature.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's cheaper, it's simpler for manufacturing, the switch and mechanism can be used across platforms, and it increases console space
I don't understand how can it be cheaper to have two motors, sensors, and a controller to manage something that can be done with three of sleeved cables and a mechanism inside the rear calipers? Especially considering the EPB has to have a similar mechanism inside the caliper?

How can it increase console space over the zero square inches that a foot-actuated parking brake requires?

I don't see why a drum-in-hat or caliper-squeezing manual parking brake system couldn't be carried across vehicles. I understand that the cabling probably has to be somewhat vehicle-specific.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Because you are thinking of the EPB as a bolt on system in the same way a traditional parking brake is a bolt-on system. The EPB functionality is integrated in to the actuators in the caliper and the normal brake controller, so there maybe a slight incremental cost for each but it is very, very small. Then you have a switch and a couple of wires.

I promise you, OEMs are not making cars with EPBs because it's cool.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't mind EPBs but I absolutely hate cable operated foot parking brakes - just find them so awkward to use

EPBs do have some advantages, they make it easy for the car to auto apply/release the brake and in a manual can make hill starts much easier

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah my car will set the EPB automatically if I put in park on any sort of incline/decline.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because you are thinking of the EPB as a bolt on system in the same way a traditional parking brake is a bolt-on system. The EPB functionality is integrated in to the actuators in the caliper and the normal brake controller, so there maybe a slight incremental cost for each but it is very, very small. Then you have a switch and a couple of wires.

I promise you, OEMs are not making cars with EPBs because it's cool.
After looking at some 2021 Chevy Traverse rear calipers (thanks Rockauto) I see what is happening. The EPB isn't quite an apples-to-apples comparison. The motor lets automakers use parking-brake-in-caliper mechanisms in places where drum-in-hat would have been needed before.

Vehicles with rear disk brakes have typically had one of two varieties. Smaller cars (like a third-gen Integra, 2600 lbs.) often got a caliper with a bunch of kibble for connecting a parking brake cable and a ratcheting mechanism. I have never seen this type of caliper on anything other than a small car. My experience says this type was more trouble-prone than the more common drum-in-hat setup and was more difficult to service. See below:

Bigger cars generally had a much simpler rear caliper that had nothing to do with the parking brake. Parking brake duties were handled by a drum-in-hat mechanism.

What is happening with these EPBs is that bigger cars like our example 4300-lb. Chevrolet Traverse are getting a caliper that works like the one on the Integra, only a motor is bolted on instead of all that garbage on the caliper shown above. No drum-in-hat. No shoes, no springs, no adjusters. That is where the savings come from, I guess. Much cheaper to pay someone to fasten the two little Torx screws that hold the motor in place than to pay one or more people to install all the bits and pieces hiding inside a drum-in-hat setup (or just install the caliper and the actuator as a single unit from the OEM).

I think the key player here is cheap sintered-metal gear reduction setups that let them get away with using a very small electric motor to generate enough clamping force to keep a lardbody like a Traverse stationary.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

Some people never use the "emergency brake" because hey it's only for emergencies! Then somebody like me drives the car and I use the parking brake - either the big-rear end lever that gets in your way when you try to shift or the third pedal in an automatic - and the next time the other driver takes it out it runs like poo poo and bad things happen and why did you put the emergency brake on i drove 50 km on the highway like that and now it's burnt out.

EPB means the car can automatically disengage it when the driver shifts into either D or R and no person has to think about it ever again. Fewer angry customers at dealerships complaining about their nephew using the emergency brake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plus all this stuff, yeah. And the stuff PBCRunch dug up, too. Nicely done.

EDIT: tying it to rentals - rental agencies not having fleets with toasted parking brakes might or might not be a customer set that manufacturers pay any attention to.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
EPB that automatically actuates also means that the parking brake gets cycled more than once per year during an annual inspection, and the mechanism doesn't freeze solid after a winter and break at the customer's expense who then exclaims "You're screwing me! You're breaking things on purpose! I'll never come here again! I'll never buy another [brand] car again!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We got that poo poo all the time at the pharmacy and every one of those motherfuckers was a liar, they were back at our counter no more than three days later to get mad about something else.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I suspect another big reason is removing either a solid handle or solid pedal from the cabin helps juice passenger injury ratings enough to be worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I suspect another big reason is removing either a solid handle or solid pedal from the cabin helps juice passenger injury ratings enough to be worth it.

I can maybe buy this for the pedal brakes, that's a pretty critical and easy to deform space in the vehicle and having a hole and pedal mounted there can't help crash scores.

On most cars the handbrake lever is recessed at or below the level of the center console when it's not activated, so it shouldn't make much difference - if you whack in to it, you would have whacked in to the center console. Also, if the lever is up, you should not be getting in much of an accident because your car is stopped :v:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Salami Surgeon posted:

EPB that automatically actuates also means that the parking brake gets cycled more than once per year during an annual inspection,

Whats an inspection? By the time I buy it most of my vehicles come with a non operating parking brake to fix, I only ever use it consistently if its a manual. The lever style parking brake is not just for small cars but also used on the Buick Park Avenue and its a huge pain to get the cable back on.

As for a rental review I havent had anything new to me lately.

Tacoma
Pros
Not bad to drive, ok power and just enough space to work out of.
Cons
Not many but could use more leg room, the LEDs on the gear shifter are stupid bright when its pitch black out and I covered them with electrical tape, radar cruise control.

Wrangler 4 dr
Pros
Has enough room for my legs and stuff but not a lot more, goes when you hit the gas, turns pretty sharp
Cons
One had water coming down the inside of the windshield when it rained, gas mileage of a 454, shifts into park when you open the door, death wobble.

Ranger
Pros
Cons
No legroom, radar cruise control, auto high beams, collision alert (oncoming traffic would set it off on curves), no legroom (hit my drat knees on the steering column), not as much power as the Taco, no legroom, poor mileage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a lot of states have annual inspections for vehicle roadworthiness that require testing key systems like the parking brake

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Is it really a lot of states or is it just a few states that have inspections and they happen to be the states a lot of people live in?

No inspections in Nebraska. I don't think there are any in Iowa either. I'm pretty sure the Dakotas are a free-for-all as well.

The not having to crash engineer around a formed metal parking brake pedal is a pretty good justification for EPB.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 27, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

15 states for safety, plus another 16 for emissions

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I know there are a handful of states that require something and there are shops that will pass anything, VA, PA, and TX come to mind right away. Only part of this state requires an emissions check but that's nothing more than checking for codes and that you didn't just reset them by disconnecting the battery or hitting clear.

I find it inconvenient so I use a loophole, all they look for is the check engine light and you could pass without a cat and an 02 sensor simulator. My four wheeled vehicles all have functioning cats (if they came with them) and no lights on the dash so it doesn't bother me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I currently have the Last Good Cheap Car, the Kia Soul. I drove a prior gen and actually did not like it at all but the new one seems substantially better. The styling is polarizing but interesting.

Good
  • Styling is interesting
  • Box shape is quite useful. Plenty of interior room.
  • Cheap and cheerful, reasonably coherent interior styling. Nice and simple.
  • NA 2.0 powertrain sounds decent and is responsive. not fast, but not bad with only one dude in the car.
  • Handling is surprisingly good even on eco tires. Flat cornering, quite predictable.
  • Good steering
  • trunk area / space under rear hatch has a super deep well. you can put a lot of stuff in it
  • good visibility
  • has a lot of collision mitigation systems like blind spot monitoring and lane departure warning
  • pretty good back seat space
  • lots of headroom

Bad
  • Has android auto but not carplay (?)
  • No one-touch up or down windows (what in the gently caress??)
  • wretched stereo
  • trunk area / space under rear hatch has a super deep well. it's annoying to get stuff in and out.
  • kind of a weird seating position and the windshield seems both extremely vertical and very far away
  • god awful plasticky steering wheel

I don't really know why you would spend over 10% more on the Seltos over this thing. It's really great to drive a cheap car that's pretty unapologetically cheap and cheerful. No one touch windows is loving weird and no CarPlay is absurd but other than that, I would recommend it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

You can get AWD in the Seltos and the Soul is FWD-only. That is enough of a reason for some people. Honestly it seems like poor product planning to not have an AWD option on any mainstream car these days. Pretty much every car shares an architecture with a CUV of some sort. Just offer the AWD drivetrain in the car body.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The new Sonata ONLY has wireless CarPlay, maybe that’s the direction H/K is taking all their stuff.

Pissed me off because I had to stop and put it in park to pair my phone, can’t just plug in a goddamn wire. loving dumb, yet another backwards step in usability.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh the ride on the Soul is pretty crashy, it doesn't do a phenomenal job absorbing impacts despite the fact that it's riding on fat sidewalls (16" wheels on a new car!)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The new Sonata ONLY has wireless CarPlay, maybe that’s the direction H/K is taking all their stuff.

Pissed me off because I had to stop and put it in park to pair my phone, can’t just plug in a goddamn wire. loving dumb, yet another backwards step in usability.

The infotainment situation in the Sonatas is hilarious because somehow they have wireless CarPlay on the base model but not the premium one...? Mine certainly only has wired CarPlay at least.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

You can get AWD in the Seltos and the Soul is FWD-only. That is enough of a reason for some people. Honestly it seems like poor product planning to not have an AWD option on any mainstream car these days. Pretty much every car shares an architecture with a CUV of some sort. Just offer the AWD drivetrain in the car body.

Then you'd miss out on some of that sweet CUV markup.

Funnily enough almost every mainstream Japanese car has had an AWD option since the 90s but these are mostly Japan only (with a few like the Mazda 3 eventually getting a rest of world release)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Funnily enough almost every mainstream Japanese car has had an AWD option since the 90s but these are mostly Japan only (with a few like the Mazda 3 eventually getting a rest of world release)

I was pretty shocked to learn that the JDM Fitto had an AWD version which never made it outside. The only other one that comes to mind is the Suzuki Swift /Justy which have/had here.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 9, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I was pretty shocked to learn that the JDM Fitto had an AWD version which never made it outside. The only other one that comes to mind is the Suzuki Swift /Justy which have/had here.

Toyota Vitz (Yaris), Mazda Demio (2), Nissan March (Micra) and probably any other small car you can think of had an AWD version.

You could even get an AWD Integra at one point (I think just the DC shape sedan)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Scored a Mazda CX-9 in the Hertz Gold aisle at MCO a few days ago. I got really lucky because the other options (even in Presidents Circle) were like Altimas and Venues. My total rate for standard car, even with tax, was like $100 for 3 days.

It is the largest car I have ever driven, I think? It seems larger than my parents' Honda Odyssey they lent me 15 years ago, and larger than my neighbor's Jeep Gladiator he let me borrow for a weekend off-roading trip. Actually no, I drove a Ford Explorer as a rental a few years back. Anyways, it somehow pulls off the trick of being large without feeling egregious like a Telluride or bigger. We had 6 people in the car for one of my days, and both physicians in the third row claimed they were comfortable (admittedly they are petite women).

Drives surprisingly well for a giant 3 row crossover. I think there may have been some sound enhancement from the engine (which is lame), but I was satisfied with the low end torque and it was actually less floaty around some corners than my daily driver Volvo V90 wagon.

There was a wireless charging pad but it was poorly aligned and didn't actually work--putting my phone on it prompted Apple Pay. No USB-C connection for CarPlay, and I stopped packing USB-A/Lightning cords, so wasn't able to connect which is a bummer.

In summary, as much as I'm trying to avoid buying a crossover/SUV as a family car, this seems like a reasonable choice.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2022

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Rented a "Toyota RAV-4 or similar" in Fairbanks, Alaska and got a CX-5. Score!

If you rent a car in Fairbanks you get an extension cord for the block heater and a really lovely ice scraper/snow brush. The rental agreement includes a list of forbidden roads as well as winter driving tips like "if it's really cold, your tires might feel a little flat so just drive for a bit until the air warms up enough to make them round again".

Overall the car handled well on packed snow in subzero temperatures. Eventually the packed snow turned into packed ice on top of a literal sheet of ice in places (there was a big warming event after Christmas) and that was not so great with all-seasons. AK DOT has recently built roundabouts at a few of the busier freeway interchanges and they can be rather exciting in slick conditions. ABS was handy in a few places as well. Outside of intersections it wasn't too bad, and driving over big piles of snow is always fun in a rental car.

At -15F it takes a very long time for the rear defroster to do its thing and even after being plugged in overnight I was relieved when the engine turned on (a real Alaskan just leaves the car running, which is part of the reason why Fairbanks often has poor winter air quality). One feature I did wish the car had was a heated steering wheel because a leather steering wheel can take quite a while to warm up when first starting the car.

The CX-5 scratched the Mazda itch and kept me getting in too much trouble on snowy roads so I was definitely happy I got to drive one for a long weekend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Saw a Honda Accord Sport on the lot at ATL last week and had to take it - you almost never see Hondas as rentals and I haven't driven a modern Honda in quite some time. My dad had a series of manual Accord EXs (1992, 1998, 2001) which I spent a lot of time riding in. Learned to drive stick on the 98. I have a soft spot for the cars, so I was a little trepedatious.

First impressions:
It's a big car. This was in the weird gray color, which didn't look too bad, but being covered in pollen doesn't do it any favors. The wheels are tacky and it's sort of pre :2f2f: from the factory with a black decklid spoiler, etc. The size is borne out by the interior space - there's a ton of room behind 5'10 me in a normal driving position. Massive amounts of room. The controls are still very Honda-like. Everything is obvious to understand and falls to hand exactly where it should be.

Pros:
  • It feels and drives like a Honda
  • decent handling, acceleration, powertrain other than transmission
  • Comfortable seats
  • Has ACC and all those gizmos and they work fairly well.

Cons:
  • CVT. Part of the fun of a Honda motor is revving it. There's not much point if it goes all the way to redline and parks there. The CVT just sucks the fun out of the car.
  • Interior fit and finish. This is a minor gripe but the door handle design doesn't line up with the fake metal accent line in the door. It's very odd and I don't understand it.
  • Build quality. The rear driver side door had a small latching problem - the latch would stick on open/close. This is a 1600 mile car. Not a great sign.
  • Holy loving poo poo it is long. I normally drive an E39 which I consider a big car, and it's over six inches longer than that. All the space comes from somewhere
  • Somewhat awkward exterior styling
  • NVH is typically Honda-like in that it's probably a couple decibels louder than a Camry at all speeds. Some slight wind noise around the mirrors and a bit of road nosie.
  • Why are the wheels so big?
  • ACC not sensitive enough to brake when other cars come in the lane, but overly sensitive to cars in other lanes. Annoying and makes it difficult to trust.
  • Screen for infotainment is at a kind of odd angle and susceptible to glare

Overall, Honda still knows how to make a really loving good car. This is by far the best car in its dying segment, other than perhaps the CVT. I don't think you can fix that problem any more though. I was left with the question as to why you would buy this over say, a Civic. Unless you really need a huge car, it seems like the in-house competiton is better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 10, 2023

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Recently went on a multi-city biz trip so got to check out 3 econoboxes (roughly $20k).

Nissan Sentra (4.5 stars out of 5)
I was honestly surprised at how nice the new Sentra was. Interior materials were pretty good, infotainment was smooth, and the seats had nice side bolsters and felt huggy in a good way.
Power was nothing special but if I was shopping for a cheap compact sedan, this would probably be high on my short list.

Kia Forte (3 stars out of 5)
Pretty much everything was a half step or step down from the Sentra. Road/wind noise was also incredibly loud on the highway. Would definitely go for the Sentra over this and I have to imagine something like the new Civic would also be much better.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (1.5 stars out of 5)
I rented this several years before and it was no better this time around. Crappy materials, slow as all hell, and infotainment was kind of buggy. The only real positive was it had really bright white headlights.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This past weekend I rented a 2020 Chevy Bolt EV through Turo to get to/from PAX East.

I was rather impressed with the car, as seeing its size had me thinking I would be rather uncomfortable in the driver's seat, but I was not. For reference, I am a 6'1", 350lb transwoman, and I didn't even need to put the seat all the way back to be comfortable (prior to this, I had driven a 2020 Honda Civic Sport and... oof it was tight). The infotainment system was bog standard GM, and my only real complaint about it is the angle it was tilted back at made it stupidly susceptible to solar glare.

I am not sure if it is an option that the owner didn't spring for, but the lack of adaptive cruise control in a modern car in Boston traffic is... annoying.

Handling was fine, and while the suspension felt a bit stiff, I've had worse experiences as a passenger in a minivan on Boston streets when it comes to potholes and road bumps.

My only major gripe with the car was range, but overall I feel if I were to own one I am actually in a perfect use-case scenario for it, as I live about a mile from my job and rarely, if ever, go for a drive over 150mi round trip (and even then that happens at most twice a year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hmmxkrazee posted:

Recently went on a multi-city biz trip so got to check out 3 econoboxes (roughly $20k).

Nissan Sentra (4.5 stars out of 5)
I was honestly surprised at how nice the new Sentra was. Interior materials were pretty good, infotainment was smooth, and the seats had nice side bolsters and felt huggy in a good way.
Power was nothing special but if I was shopping for a cheap compact sedan, this would probably be high on my short list.

Kia Forte (3 stars out of 5)
Pretty much everything was a half step or step down from the Sentra. Road/wind noise was also incredibly loud on the highway. Would definitely go for the Sentra over this and I have to imagine something like the new Civic would also be much better.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (1.5 stars out of 5)
I rented this several years before and it was no better this time around. Crappy materials, slow as all hell, and infotainment was kind of buggy. The only real positive was it had really bright white headlights.

When was the Sentra last refreshed? The one I rented (granted, probably 5 years ago now) was dreadful, the interior was an oppressive place to be in every respect, and the entire car would shake violently upon any kind of acceleration and it was literally brand new when I rented it (or close enough to... under 1000km).

Maybe I just have poo poo luck with rental cars.

EDIT: Ah, 2019 they released a new Sentra. That makes good sense... Well, I'm glad to see they turned it into something that's actually pleasant to drive for what it is.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 27, 2022