Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nobody can tell you if you fit in any car because everyone's proportions are different

that being said the C4 picasso is taller than the regular C4, but the C4 is still a C segment car so it is approximately the size of a Toyota Corolla. if you don't fit in the Corolla/Cruze/Focus/Civic etc you probably won't fit in the C4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nobody can tell you if you fit in any car because everyone's proportions are different

that being said the C4 picasso is taller than the regular C4, but the C4 is still a C segment car so it is approximately the size of a Toyota Corolla. if you don't fit in the Corolla/Cruze/Focus/Civic etc you probably won't fit in the C4.

I fit fine enough Focus ST and DD an older Civic, i just wasn't sure how euro mapped to USDM sizes and whether I should just go for a larger segment car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Wait, are Maximas lovely now? I have vague memories of them being pretty nice, at least 20 years ago.

I have one reserved for a vacation trip. Not for a long haul, just maybe 200 miles driving over 3 days.
They're fine. I definitely have the same memories (the early 2000s models with the (early?) VQ35).

They're big, comfortable, pretty boring, but they're fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

toplitzin posted:

I fit fine enough Focus ST and DD an older Civic, i just wasn't sure how euro mapped to USDM sizes and whether I should just go for a larger segment car.

you should be fine then, but there are obviously no guarantees

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should be fine then, but there are obviously no guarantees

I can always walk back into the rental desk and be like "me big, car small, please help upgrade" in broken French.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm 6'4", drive a mazda2 and the least comfortable car I've driven is a Chevy uplander. Vehicle size doesn't equate to comfort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

toplitzin posted:

I can always walk back into the rental desk and be like "me big, car small, please help upgrade" in broken French.

i assume you're in to CDG so itll be fine

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nm posted:

I'm 6'4", drive a mazda2 and the least comfortable car I've driven is a Chevy uplander. Vehicle size doesn't equate to comfort.

Fords are particularly weird - to me the Fiesta feels roomier than the Focus which is itself roomier feeling than the Mondeo.

The Mondeo does have a huge boot and lots of leg room in the rear but the roof is so low that it feels like a tiny car.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i assume you're in to CDG so itll be fine

Oui

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dissss posted:

Fords are particularly weird - to me the Fiesta feels roomier than the Focus which is itself roomier feeling than the Mondeo.

The Mondeo does have a huge boot and lots of leg room in the rear but the roof is so low that it feels like a tiny car.

The Mazda2 is roomer than the Fiesta. Center console design is more compact and the seat might go back a touch more.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think it’s just a Mazda 2/Demio thing, I’ve driven the most recent generations in Japan and my 6’5” goony frame has headroom to spare. Definitely an option I’m looking at longer term if I can get a car here. Also helps that they’re more fun to drive than most others I can get from the car share service.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dissss posted:

i assume since you say mondeo you are a Foreigner but the same is also true of the Taurus in the US which is real big but somehow does not feel spacious at all in the front

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Last rental car I had was a 2017 ram 2500 crew cab. Drove fine for a big truck but man the thing got garbage mileage with the gas v8.

It somehow had farm plates from Wisconsin. I rented it in Arizona. I actually just needed something with 4wd for accessing some remote installations in the southern AZ mountains, but imagine my surprise when I saw this bigass beast lumbering towards me in the lot.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 11, 2020

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Scored a Mercedes GLC with a midsize rate at MCO in January. Extremely pleasant interior. While I don’t have time for crossovers normally, this made me really happy for National Executive Elite status that I only got thru credit cards.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I sold my DD Elantra to Carvana for a great price, so while I have an enormous fleet of imports I thought it best to rent a new vehicle for upcoming Spring Break.

With my AMEX discount for some reason it was CHEAPER to rent a mid size for A MONTH than the 10 days I needed. With tax I paid $313! Plus I pay for the $25 total for the rental $100k extra insurance on my AMEX.

Upgraded as they are supposed to do with Gold to an AWD Rogue. Pros, quick, lots of room in the backseat for the trip for kids, roof racks (that I didn't end up using for this upcoming trip but I like to have them just in case). Heated seats, emergency auto braking, lane assist, great visibility.

Cons so far, the infotainment is just crap compared to my Hyundai! The screen is like a crappy android tablet visibility wise. As far as I can figure out I can't just turn it off like I could in my Hyundai for around town. The middle dash screen is infuriating, it won't allow you to show the speed in digits in the middle, you can pick from a myriad of things to have on the screen but that is not one of them. So far gas mileage is abysmal around town but I have been hooning it, but that is a low priority for me.

Will update more after the Florida trip and the highway drive. I am glad to have the SUV type vehicle for the trip but man I would not buy this for myself, I prefer the Elantra and other than back seat legroom the trunk swallowed just as much as the back of this Rogue.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

everdave posted:

I sold my DD Elantra to Carvana for a great price, so while I have an enormous fleet of imports I thought it best to rent a new vehicle for upcoming Spring Break.

With my AMEX discount for some reason it was CHEAPER to rent a mid size for A MONTH than the 10 days I needed. With tax I paid $313! Plus I pay for the $25 total for the rental $100k extra insurance on my AMEX.

Upgraded as they are supposed to do with Gold to an AWD Rogue. Pros, quick, lots of room in the backseat for the trip for kids, roof racks (that I didn't end up using for this upcoming trip but I like to have them just in case). Heated seats, emergency auto braking, lane assist, great visibility.

Cons so far, the infotainment is just crap compared to my Hyundai! The screen is like a crappy android tablet visibility wise. As far as I can figure out I can't just turn it off like I could in my Hyundai for around town. The middle dash screen is infuriating, it won't allow you to show the speed in digits in the middle, you can pick from a myriad of things to have on the screen but that is not one of them. So far gas mileage is abysmal around town but I have been hooning it, but that is a low priority for me.

Will update more after the Florida trip and the highway drive. I am glad to have the SUV type vehicle for the trip but man I would not buy this for myself, I prefer the Elantra and other than back seat legroom the trunk swallowed just as much as the back of this Rogue.

Nissan infotainment is hot garbage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the rogue is Not Good

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I had a Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring this week and it was good. It felt extremely solid and well put together, the interior was really nice. Much better feeling than my wife's Honda Pilot actually. My only beef with the CX9 is that carplay is hard to use with a knob, and the dashboard screen wasn't a touchscreen.

Everything else was good. It made me realize that my next car should have a HUD... I've never driven a car with one of those before but it was great seeing the speed and blind spot monitoring right on the windshield.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TheWevel posted:

I had a Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring this week and it was good. It felt extremely solid and well put together, the interior was really nice. Much better feeling than my wife's Honda Pilot actually. My only beef with the CX9 is that carplay is hard to use with a knob, and the dashboard screen wasn't a touchscreen.

Everything else was good. It made me realize that my next car should have a HUD... I've never driven a car with one of those before but it was great seeing the speed and blind spot monitoring right on the windshield.

The knob is a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. My wife loves the system in her CX-5, uses Android Auto all the time. We hated all the touchscreen interfaces because you have to take your eyes off the road for way too long.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The Rogue got us TN to FL just fine, and quickly and comfortably. The main screen is glossy and dark and horrible, the dash info system and choices are bad and confusing and I work on computers for a living. Would not buy at half the MSRP but I can’t complain for what I paid and I will give it a thumbs up AS A RENTAL. As a 2019 $35k+ vehicle hell to the no.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Knob owns. I have a 2015 Mazda 6 with the older style infotainment and the biggest thing keeping me from throwing in an aftermarket head unit is I don't want to lose functionality of The Knob. All hail The Knob.

On topic: Receiving a 2018 CX-9 Signature as a loaner is what made me want to upgrade from my 2011 Mazda 3. Mazda interiors have come a long long way and they're in my opinion leagues better than Honda/Toyota/Subaru and especially Nissan.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Previa_fun posted:

The Knob owns. I have a 2015 Mazda 6 with the older style infotainment and the biggest thing keeping me from throwing in an aftermarket head unit is I don't want to lose functionality of The Knob. All hail The Knob.

On topic: Receiving a 2018 CX-9 Signature as a loaner is what made me want to upgrade from my 2011 Mazda 3. Mazda interiors have come a long long way and they're in my opinion leagues better than Honda/Toyota/Subaru and especially Nissan.

I've got a '15 6 as well and I love the knob. Whenever I drive my wife's '14 CX-5 I reach for it and get aggravated when all I get is cupholder.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty sure the CX-9 does have a touchscreen, it has the same old infotainment system as my '16 3. It does only work when the car is stationary though (and it doesn't work in Android Auto at all)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

dissss posted:

Pretty sure the CX-9 does have a touchscreen, it has the same old infotainment system as my '16 3. It does only work when the car is stationary though (and it doesn't work in Android Auto at all)

It is a touchscreen, but why bother when you've got the knob? I hate it when there's fingerprints all over the screen anyhow, and the knob eliminates that.

\/\/ Amen

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 17, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the knob is good once you get used to it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the knob is good once you get used to it

That's what she said.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
2019 Impala, used for a 500 mile, one way drive.

Having last spent any real time in a GM product in the mid 90's I was pleasantly surprised with the Impala, and it's a pretty good highway cruiser.

The interior is pretty nice, and the seat was comfortable for 7.5 hours, but the fake wood-grain plastic is a bit silly, and the automatic dimmer for the dashboard is seriously annoying when driving into the sun at sunrise, since it can't decide if it should be dim or bright for about the first 30 minutes.

On the highway, the cabin is really quiet and the ride is generally quite nice, but it did seem a bit jittery over uneven pavement, which might have just been because the car was lightly loaded.

The engine and transmission work just fine for what the car is supposed to be, and it had zero problems overtaking or climbing a pass at 80mph. I was also surprised at the fuel economy, since I averaged 31MPG going from Seattle to Boise, doing 75 basically the entire way.

The downsides were all visibility related.

The B pillars are huge, so visibility there isn't great, and the fact that the blind spot warning system is apparently an option means that it's easy to lose track of something in the blind spot.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
These Nissan reviews are some of the funniest in this thread and I see why.

A couple weeks ago I stopped into Enterprise for a rental car after being dropped off by the tow truck. Since it was Spring Break they had one car and it was a Nissan Rouge. The insurance agent sold me on the idea I'd have a car comparable to my own, however that message didn't have much steam.

Pros:
+ Good mileage even at 80
+ Steering feels right for the car after putting it into sport mode (default is too disconnected)
+ No seatbelt minder
+ Goes over speed bumps fast
+ Paint, seats, windows, protection from rain and other inclement weather

Cons:
- Had to floor it everywhere. This one may have been wore out so it seemed to produce about half the output power of my daily driver and made a lot of drama getting to sixty in 12 seconds.
- It's ugly to look at and the stereo sucks. This one had a broken front right speaker which must have been something the car automatically did to save horsepower.
- The seating position is in a weird spot relative to the car; this isn't really anything other than subjective but the pronounced body roll amplifies a feeling of alienation from the road.

Takeaway:
It would be soul-sucking to own one of these. Nissan has figured out how to mass manufacture boredom.

You want to see one? Go to any college campus.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

U-Haul Car Hauler Trailer

Rented a double axle low boy from U-Haul for a round trip to pick up a car. The rental process itself was easy--we just told them what we were towing and the vehicle we were using to tow it with. In this case, a V8 truck and a V8 luxury car, and we were set up no questions asked. The total price for the round trip was $70 because we got it done in a day. Had we gotten the rental for a one way only, the price would have been over $350.

The trailer itself had automatic hydraulic brakes based on input off the hitch. This was actually an unexpected feature that we were pleased to see. It's a split design with tracks that the car sits on, with the underneath exposed along the middle centerline. At the rear there are two built-in slide out ramps and a chain, and at the front a couple of ratcheting tire straps.

Empty, it hauled just fine. The trailer comes with a sign on the front of the driver's side fender that when you read it, it says "SS". I don't know what that means. Empty the trailer did 75 mph without a slight rock--it was very stable.

With my car on it, the trailer was further stable.

We unloaded and dropped it off ourselves at U-Haul, at midnight at the facility and on camera and under light. The next business day I got an email confirming the check-in. The original reservation was for two days, and since I only used it for one, they billed me for only one without any suggestion from me.

Would rent one of these again.

Only con is that some cars you can't get out of but fortunately this one has that trick you can use by turning the key in the lock on the door to operate all the windows.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

grillster posted:

These Nissan reviews are some of the funniest in this thread and I see why.

A couple weeks ago I stopped into Enterprise for a rental car after being dropped off by the tow truck. Since it was Spring Break they had one car and it was a Nissan Rouge. The insurance agent sold me on the idea I'd have a car comparable to my own, however that message didn't have much steam.

Pros:
+ Good mileage even at 80
+ Steering feels right for the car after putting it into sport mode (default is too disconnected)
+ No seatbelt minder
+ Goes over speed bumps fast
+ Paint, seats, windows, protection from rain and other inclement weather

Cons:
- Had to floor it everywhere. This one may have been wore out so it seemed to produce about half the output power of my daily driver and made a lot of drama getting to sixty in 12 seconds.
- It's ugly to look at and the stereo sucks. This one had a broken front right speaker which must have been something the car automatically did to save horsepower.
- The seating position is in a weird spot relative to the car; this isn't really anything other than subjective but the pronounced body roll amplifies a feeling of alienation from the road.

Takeaway:
It would be soul-sucking to own one of these. Nissan has figured out how to mass manufacture boredom.

You want to see one? Go to any college campus.

I will note that the one time I had to go over the mountains I got an AWD Rogue. It sucked, was slow, and had a heated steering wheel. That heated steering wheel made up for a lot when I work up in the morning. This didn't have many miles. It was just slow AF.
That's not that rare a feature these days, but it sure is on rental cars. Only 300Cs, which are becoming thin on the ground, regularly have them. Shout to the 300C of having cooled seats in all the rental spec cars, but LOL to the 300C for hiding that behind some menus rather than making it a button. They all (well enterprise rental spec) seem to have it, but you have to go looking.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

grillster posted:

U-Haul Car Hauler Trailer

Rented a double axle low boy from U-Haul for a round trip to pick up a car.

Only con is that some cars you can't get out of but fortunately this one has that trick you can use by turning the key in the lock on the door to operate all the windows.

There are two rubber bungees that hold the left side fender in the upright position. You release the bungees and swing the fender down before you load the car.

My gripe about those trailers is the inner lip on the tire ways is just high enough to scrape the hell out of the underside of an NA miata.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

BloodBag posted:

There are two rubber bungees that hold the left side fender in the upright position. You release the bungees and swing the fender down before you load the car.

My gripe about those trailers is the inner lip on the tire ways is just high enough to scrape the hell out of the underside of an NA miata.

Nice tip about the fender... Arming myself with this knowledge for the next time.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Our rental got upgraded for free to a 2020 Nissan Rogue.
This is from the viewpoint of someone whose newest car ever is still 22 years old.

The backup camera is pretty fuckin legit and I wouldn't mind having one. It's also nice to have the map right there on the screen. The rest of the system was annoying and clunky to use, and a bitch to sync properly.

It has that thing where a light...lights when someone's next to you. This is necessary because you can't see poo poo by physically turning your head. A small car directly next to me would have been invisible. The pillars are loving huge and it feels like I'm in, like, a video game tank, looking out of a port instead of a windshield.

The push button start is novel but I don't really get it. It just seems like a lot of really expensive poo poo that I could never repair. Maybe that's cars now though.

At lower speeds it felt like I was lugging the engine, it was weird and vibrate-y. Steering was pretty smooth but I also felt like there was no feedback from the road. Also weird.

It was especially nice to take a road trip and not even think about breaking down...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have had my rental AWD Rogue 23 days. Don’t know what this one has under the hood but very quick. Around town mpg 15 range highway 85+ is close to 30. Heated seats and NO SEATBELT BEEP. Very nice in this day and age especially on vacation in parking lots or moving car to another spot.

Infotainment and screen CRAP. Sonar and all that was good. Storage space sucked for its size. A+ rental for the $313 I paid for a month, I dont know who buys these retail unless they were $18k out the door but double that or more it’s just why?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

everdave posted:

I have had my rental AWD Rogue 23 days. Don’t know what this one has under the hood but very quick. Around town mpg 15 range highway 85+ is close to 30. Heated seats and NO SEATBELT BEEP. Very nice in this day and age especially on vacation in parking lots or moving car to another spot.

Infotainment and screen CRAP. Sonar and all that was good. Storage space sucked for its size. A+ rental for the $313 I paid for a month, I dont know who buys these retail unless they were $18k out the door but double that or more it’s just why?

Nissan infotainment is the absolute bottom of the barrel. It’s embarrassingly bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Achtane posted:

The pillars are loving huge and it feels like I'm in, like, a video game tank, looking out of a port instead of a windshield.

The push button start is novel but I don't really get it. It just seems like a lot of really expensive poo poo that I could never repair. Maybe that's cars now though.

Both of these seem to be features of new cars, not bugs, sadly. I miss turning a key and having huge glass greenhouses.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Got a loaner Passat while my TDI sportwagen was in the shop (wiring issues, it is a VW after all). I was very surprised at how nice the new ones are, and the mileage was better than my diesel. Just a really excellent car tbh

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Both of these seem to be features of new cars, not bugs, sadly. I miss turning a key and having huge glass greenhouses.

One of my cars makes me turn a key and push a button!

For real though, keyless entry and remote start are stupidly good once you're accustomed to them. I will repeatedly walk up to any rental I have and touch the door handle while nothing happens before I remember I have to take my key out of my pocket like some prehistoric caveman.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't buy a car without a proximity key and push to start now, it's just too convenient once you get used to it.

As for infotainment the only function I really care about is the reversing camera should come on as soon as you put the car into reverse - even Nissan seems to have figured that out but in my mum's 2016 Honda Jazz(Fit) you need to wait until some 2012 era embedded Android tablet boots before you can see what's behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Drove a fourth gen Ford Focus today as a loan car while my third gen was getting a service.

I liked the engine in it. It's a 1.5 turbo triple cylinder engine, which actually felt better than the 1.5lt turbo four that I have driven in the third gen update. Both the road and engine noise was far quieter than my third gen, although mine is a diesel so you expect extra noise from it. It also seemed to sit lower than my Focus, even though it was a base spec like mine. Tons of space to put mobile phones down, which was a huge negative about the early third gen interior.

What I didn't really like was the instrument panel, which seemed to focus (heh) the speedo and other instruments downwards, away from the driver. It made it felt a bit tough to look at the dash properly. And the dashboard under the centre heating vents was pretty loving cheap looking and bland/boring as hell.