Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I rent ~30 cars per year for work. I am 6'4", drive a mazda 2, and while I have to rent ICARs for work from enterprise, I rarely get ICARs as I'm on a first name basis with my normal rental location. I've rented 6 cars so far this year. They all kind of blend together.

Cars I hate:
Nissan Sentra
Grand Caravan
Mitsubishi Outlander (Think those are all out of the fleet)
Toyota Corollas are bad for long trips. The footwell is too small.
GM CUVs. Eww. Particularly chevy.

Cars I like getting:
VW Passat. Seriously. A good road trip vehicle. Not sure I've want to own one as LOL VW, but a solid car for long trips. Comfortable, enough power, 600mi per tank.
Ford Fusion. These are actually really decent, particularly in high trim, which Enterprise sometimes has. Both this an the passat have better radar cruise control than others.
Chevy Tahoe. Only for long trips in rural areas. gently caress this car in the city.
Hyundais and Kias ave gotten really nice. They also seem to be leaving the Enterprise fleet in California. Its mostly Nissan, Ford, VW, and Chevy CUVs

I never get fancy cars as this location never has them and the airport locations won't give me them. I guess I've gotten a few infiniti CUVs, meh. I get a pickups sometimes, I'm ford, dodge, then GM. Chevy pickups are pretty grim in rental spec. GM seems to be sucking really bad on everything that isn't a Yukon or a Caddy. Frontier seats don't go far back enough for me, so I dunno.

edit: The ford ecosport is perhaps the dumbest vehicle I've driven. Very nice inside compared to many CUVs, expensive, and possibly the slowest car I've ever driven. Terrible to drive generally.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm 6'4", drive a mazda2 and the least comfortable car I've driven is a Chevy uplander. Vehicle size doesn't equate to comfort.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

dissss posted:

Fords are particularly weird - to me the Fiesta feels roomier than the Focus which is itself roomier feeling than the Mondeo.

The Mondeo does have a huge boot and lots of leg room in the rear but the roof is so low that it feels like a tiny car.

The Mazda2 is roomer than the Fiesta. Center console design is more compact and the seat might go back a touch more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

grillster posted:

These Nissan reviews are some of the funniest in this thread and I see why.

A couple weeks ago I stopped into Enterprise for a rental car after being dropped off by the tow truck. Since it was Spring Break they had one car and it was a Nissan Rouge. The insurance agent sold me on the idea I'd have a car comparable to my own, however that message didn't have much steam.

Pros:
+ Good mileage even at 80
+ Steering feels right for the car after putting it into sport mode (default is too disconnected)
+ No seatbelt minder
+ Goes over speed bumps fast
+ Paint, seats, windows, protection from rain and other inclement weather

Cons:
- Had to floor it everywhere. This one may have been wore out so it seemed to produce about half the output power of my daily driver and made a lot of drama getting to sixty in 12 seconds.
- It's ugly to look at and the stereo sucks. This one had a broken front right speaker which must have been something the car automatically did to save horsepower.
- The seating position is in a weird spot relative to the car; this isn't really anything other than subjective but the pronounced body roll amplifies a feeling of alienation from the road.

Takeaway:
It would be soul-sucking to own one of these. Nissan has figured out how to mass manufacture boredom.

You want to see one? Go to any college campus.

I will note that the one time I had to go over the mountains I got an AWD Rogue. It sucked, was slow, and had a heated steering wheel. That heated steering wheel made up for a lot when I work up in the morning. This didn't have many miles. It was just slow AF.
That's not that rare a feature these days, but it sure is on rental cars. Only 300Cs, which are becoming thin on the ground, regularly have them. Shout to the 300C of having cooled seats in all the rental spec cars, but LOL to the 300C for hiding that behind some menus rather than making it a button. They all (well enterprise rental spec) seem to have it, but you have to go looking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

everdave posted:

If I can be allowed to rant here...

went and turned in the Rogue and this clown at the front desk said I was going to owe $300 because I have been to the beach and there was sand in the car. Now I know ya'll don't know me but I return things better than I receive them, I clean up hotel rooms before I leave, I stack plates and wipe the table when I am leaving a restaurant. I saw no reason to "detail" this Rogue. He said we don't have vacuums that will clean this up we will have to send it out. We are talking normal sand grains off of people shorts and sandals, not buckets of sand. This is a month long rental that I got filthy as I expect, I had to run an ozone generator to get the funk out when I got it, windows were so dirty they obviously hadn't been wiped down, barely vacuumed.

I went home in a rage and shop vac'd it and did a mini interior detail and took it back parked in the middle of the parking lot with all 5 doors opened and made him come out. I was like we good now? He was like man we just don't have vacuums that will pick up sand.

I used a 20 year old worn out shop vac.

I had the phone I was ready to film this dude saying I owed $300 for a detail. THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED. All this car needed was a 10 minute clean up and I shouldn't have to do it.

RANT OVER

What company?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Some defensive driving schools advise you to inflate the tires to their sidewall max.

Jesus.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I got a Mazda 3 sedan with 12,000mi. I've since put 1000mi on the thing, been pulled over once (warning). Done some twisty roads and some interstate cruising.
Honestly, one issue aside, I am flabbergasted why anyone buys anything but the 3 in this class and price range. It is so.goddamn.good. The handling is really good for a car shod with stock AS rubber (which was useful as I've hit some cold areas). It as decent power for the class and the engine seems very happy to rev. I guess I wish it had flappy paddles (or the manual), but it will hold gears until ever. The tech is good, easy to use, and everything feels well designed and fairly premium for the price tag.
The literal only issue I have is ingress and egress. I am 6'4" and holy gently caress is it hard to get in and out of this car without banging your head. I have mostly perfected the motion, but drat. Mazda really seems to ignore tall people on the 3. I drive a goddamn mazda 2, which fits me fine which I bought over a 3 because I was more comfortable in it. Now the 3 is quite comfortable once I am there, but goddamn, I could use some more room.
Sitting in the car, my head is well over the top of the door as the roof curves a few inches down before the door starts. This sucks.
That said, if you are 6'2" or less, if you're buying a jetta, corolla, civic, or whatever the gently caress hyundai has, you're loving insane. I've rented basically every ICAR and this is by far the best.
If you're tall, the Jetta fits tall people.

Oh and the fuel economy. I just drove (in a spirited manner) Boise to Missoula, which had at least 3 mountain passes on 1 tank. Like 11 gallons for 400mi. If I'd drive more sedately, I'm pretty sure I'd have done way better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have no sunroof. Do note that I am a freak with an extremely long torso.
Seriously, I'm 6'4" and buy 30 or 32in inseam pants. Buying shirts is weird for me.

I gpt stuck in a porsche Cayman once on a race track because I forgot I had to remove my helmet to get out. (Or in. This was a porsche demo day and they didn't want us to get into the cars without helmets and it took a demo to show i couldn't get into any of their cars with a helmet on. Eventually they let me put it on in the car).

Do note it is a sedan and I note in many cars the longroof has more headroom than the sedan (I cannot fit in a bl/bp legacy sedan with a sunroof, can fit in both the sedan without and wagon with, but can only fit with a helmet in my sunroof free wagon.
Also, gently caress sunroofs, either buy a vert or stop cutting holes in the roof.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 12, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FBS posted:

I really liked the driving position, there was a ton of fore/aft room and adjustability and I could stretch out more than in most cars. Yet, once again, my hair brushed the headliner in this full-size car. I can't understand why headroom is at a premium in the full-size class. If it had a sunroof I would probably have had genuine headroom issues. My favorite part about the car was there was soft leather (or faux leather, whatever) on all the resting contact points - both elbows and both knees. I was very comfortable for relaxed cruising. It didn't feel especially wide but did feel quite long. Good visibility, and I liked the blind spot monitoring lights being mounted inside on the door post instead of built into the mirror face like most BSM lights. It was pretty quiet inside and the ride was reasonable (helped by the small wheels and fat sidewalls, I think). Infotainment was fine and easy to figure out. I liked the map display more than the one in my Mazda. Overall the interior and technology was respectable but never impressive, and didn't quite live up to what I think a $35k car should feel like inside.

I think car manufacturers are mounting seats higher so they appeal to the "sit up higher" CUV crowd.
Yes, seats are adjustable, but a huge number of cars I've driven lately have a good 4-5 inches between the bottom of the seat a the floor. It used to be closed to 2-3. (All assuming seat lowered as much as possible).
This was an issue I noticed particular on the mazda3 above and likely made egress much harder.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Nope. And it's likely (IME pre-COVID) they'll completely ignore your preference. Oh, you ordered a compact car? We're out of those, your choice is this gas guzzling three row SUV that won't fit in the parking garage at your hotel, this midsize sedan with zero visibility and a huge trunk you don't need or want, or a barbones pickup. Have fun!

The only time it worked out in my favor was when I needed to fly into IAH and out of MSY, and it was like $19 a day to rent a pickup on the one-way trip. I didn't need it, but it's big, comfy, and doesn't stand out in Texas. Sure, it burned more fuel than a small car, but I ended up driving close to a thousand miles in four days so the comfort level was appreciated.

Pre-covid I rented from the same shop several times a month for work. This almost always worked out in my favor.
Though this is work and they paid for the gas so I didn't care if I got a Tahoe (great highway cruiser) as long as I didn't need to go to an urban area.

It will almost always be a hyundai/kia, domestic, or Nissan though. Occasional mazdas, vws, and toyotas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Not just Ford Au, aren’t the Focus and Fiesta literally the only non-SUV’s left in the entire global portfolio?

Mustang?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

A bit sketchy at 200kph, but I didn't think it would do it either, so.

Surprisingly decent manual.
Also, usb-c only for android auto and I didn't have a usb-c to usb-c cable (only c to a). Built in navigation system was ok, but some of the listings of speed limits where a bit off.
I was supposed to have a golf and would have preferred it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I usually rent a compact with enterprise and swap my way up to a Tahoe or something else nice, but it’s hard to pull off if you’re not the right combination of friendly and easygoing with the undertone of someone who isn’t always.

This used to be the way. My work requires that I rent an ICAR. Pre-covid, I was renting well over 25 cars a year for several years and could count the number of ICARs I drove on one hand. They were all upgrades. The upgrades were better at my "home" location where I was on a first name basis with almost everyone, but airports tended to get me an FCAR at minimum. Generally no luxury cars, but everything else. I never got a lower class car, though a new employee once almost did, but I called it and she changed it.
During covid, it was super hit and miss between getting ICARs or some insane upgrade.
"After" covid, its almost entirely ICARs. Even at my local location where I'm on a first name basis with at least some people. My theory is that enterprise was able to buy a lot more of that class during the last few years than upgrades, as honestly, most locations almost never had an ICAR on the lot previously. I've only had a few upgrades. My local gave me an RT charger a while back because the only other cars they had were a minivan and something that had been smoked in. And then last week in palm springs, they were clearly slammed and almost out of cars. They gave me a rogue as an "upgrade" but an initial inspection found a completely bald tire. They gave me a Q3 as compensation, which was pretty nice.

One thing I will note that if you're renting for personal use, the price difference between a CCAR and an FCAR are a few cents with enterprise. My impression is the FCAR makes you more likely to get a decent rental because there is less options if they're out of what you rented. If they don't have your car and try to downgrade you, be polite but firm unless it is truly obvious that there's no upgrades on the lot -- at this point most enterprise people at least recognize that a minivan is not an upgrade -- and in that case, they should make you pay far less than the cost for whatever car you're actually driving is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I agree 100% except for minivans not being an upgrade. Gimme a Pacifica or Sienna over a Maxima any day of the week.
I find they all drive like trash and not a ton of fun in the city.
Also, its never a Sienna. It almost always a rental special grand caravan with 30k mi.