Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tl;dr
Part of a balanced breakfast!

Belgian waffles with egg yolk sauce, berry compote, balsamic strawberries, and maple pecan butter. Paired with irish cream and a side of bacon.

Bonus entry: Bruce Waynes.

Bonus Bonus entry: Fermented Cinnamon Rolls

The Plate: Belgian Waffles
That's not a waffle iron.. THIS is a waffle iron.

I have a 30 year love affair with waffles. As a child I gave up waffles for Lent one year - it was also the last year I participated in Lent. One of our childhood friends father owned a few restaurants in his younger days and kept exactly one thing after changing careers - a Rugged waffle iron. I admired that thing throughout childhood and got to cook with it exactly once when my brother got married at the campground they own in the Catskills. It has always been a saved eBay search for me and a few pop up each year, though they tend to be either very expensive or in terrible shape. Just so happens that as this ICSA was announced there was one sitting out there in decent shape at only a few dollars more than I wanted to spend, so here we are.

For the waffles themselves, the King Arthur Flour approach. Warm melted butter and milk in a saucepan and add yeast. Build a dough and allow to rest in the fridge overnight. I tend to use less yeast and allow a longer rise - if you're not going to do it overnight you may as well use a box mix. I also tend to go fairly heavy with the vanilla because I have a vanilla problem. Generous 1/2 cup scoops and a 5 minute trip into the iron. I also made some gluten free waffles but didn't picture any of those because they were box mix for a single guest. I set one topping on each quarter of the waffle for the top image, but in reality everything was mixed and matched. The strawberry + egg worked really well, as did the butter + compote.

Topping/Side #1: Berry Compote
A hipster brunch staple that you'll find served on top of french toast, pancakes, waffles, or just on the side. Cup of blackberries, cup of raspberries, cup of blueberries, bit of brown sugar, bit of lemon juice. Put on the simmer burner with butter and ignored. Throw it on your waffle, on some toast, or just on the side of your eggs. We don't need no syrup.

Topping/Side #2: Balsamic Strawberries
Package of strawberries hulled and cut thick, tossed with a few tablespoons of a nice balsamic, and just a bit of brown sugar. Set in the fridge to marinate before being eaten on their own or put on a waffle.

Topping #3: Egg Sauce
Sous vide tomfoolery at it's finest. Pasteurized creamy egg yolks with a pinch of salt. Throw a bunch of yolks in a jar, throw the jar in a 149F puddle for a half hour, pour that poo poo on. I meant to get some pictures of drizzling this with the little wooden honey thing but was too busy eating it. Basically just imagine when you have a perfectly cooked over easy egg and crack into the yolk and it comes pouring out, but skipping all of the egg whites and being able to just pour it on as a sauce. Thanks, science.

Topping #4: Maple Pecan Butter
Toasted pecans, put through the food processor, and sweetened/smoothed out with a little bit of maple syrup. Takes forever to come together.

Beverage: Irish Cream
Normally I make this for Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings only, but i think this is the second time I've made it this year now. Comes together in a matter of minutes and leftovers don't exist. I tend not to like things that are too sweet and the condensed milk and ovaltine play off each other very well.

Splash of heavy cream in a bowl and whisk in the Ovaltine. Keep adding cream in until everything is in there nice and smooth before throwing the Jameson, condensed milk, and vanilla into the bowl. Keep whisking before adding to whatever jug you have laying around. You can add a tsp of instant coffee if that's your thing, and/or replace the Ovaltine with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Bonus: Bruce Wayne
I'm not proud of many things in my life, but the Bruce Wayne is one of them. At it's heart it is just a BLT with the lettuce replaced by apple. Similar texture but with some sweetness to complement the tomato and play off the salty bacon. BLT > BAT > BATman > Bruce Wayne. A nice loaf of English muffin bread sliced thick and toasted, fresh mayo with a healthy kick of paprika and a bunch of tang, thick cut applewood smoked bacon, crisp cuts of Pink Lady apples, and New Jersey heirloom tomatoes. I could eat this sandwich breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Made over Labor Day weekend assembly line style for a group of 14, best pictures I could do:

Wide shot of assembly area.

Lightly toasted, generous spread of mayo, 3-4 pieces of bacon.

Stack a few apples up, these fuckers like to slide.

Top with your tomatoes.

And give it a little crunch as you finish.

Other image of the bread, which is basically taking English muffin dough and baking it into a loaf instead of pressing it into the traditional muffin/disc/whatever. Also makes for a mean french toast.

An older/possibly better shot of a previous make of the sammich.

Bonus Bonus: Fermented Cinnamon Rolls

Honestly, the fermentation got lost in the maple and cinnamon flavors. It smelled amazing as I was working with the dough but it was ultimately just too mild to come through. Still came out with some tasty, massive rolls.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Making a sandwich called a Bruce Wayne with bacon seems wrong somehow. You should have got ham.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's a hell of a waffle iron! You could invade Poland with that thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Making a sandwich called a Bruce Wayne with bacon seems wrong somehow. You should have got ham.

But then it doesn't make a funny acronym.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's a hell of a waffle iron! You could invade Poland with that thing.

The thing weighs 40 pounds. It came wrapped in what could have passed for a hot water heater - adding to the weight and the unwieldy-ness. I almost threw out my back getting it up 4 flights of stairs.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Now I want waffles. And also to try a Bruce Wayne. Nicely done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Ham makes it an Adam West.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Now I'm desperately hungry for some nice waffles. This looks great!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I knew I should have bolded got ham to make the pun clearer

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I may actually add another bonus dish to this this weekend because I have problems with breakfast -- I'm doing a 9 course meal for my anniversary on Sunday and after being hungry all day waiting for the first course last year I'm doing a "brunch" item early to get things moving. Fermented cinnamon rolls anyone?

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
How would you evaluate the cast iron vs normal waffle maker? That is such a gorgeous machine. I made waffle adai every day and must have one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

coolanimedad posted:

How would you evaluate the cast iron vs normal waffle maker? That is such a gorgeous machine. I made waffle adai every day and must have one.

Night and day. I've owned a bunch of irons over the years and currently have been using a Cuisinart for a decade. The crisp crust that breaks into the fluffy, cakey interior just isn't right on anything else. With any commercial iron you either end up with the weird white raw dough spots on the outside or its just crunchy straight through. This thing gets HOT.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
I was thinking to enter this NICSA but I couldn’t compete with such a tank. This is like the forging of the Shield of Achilles in the Illiad. I’m not half the man that Hector was and look what happened to him.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Those waffles look great (and the waffle-iron can invade my kitchen any day), and you're right the egg sauce is a fine use for sous vide.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Goddamn that’s a industrial waffle iron, nice job

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Those are some drat fine looking waffles, and I lust after that waffle iron!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Trip report: frozen waffle into the oven for a bit and then slathered in leftover butter + compote = nice quick breakfast today. Also started my dough for cinnamon rolls.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Got some more work on my Bonus-Bonus entry going in the oven in the morning:

Punched the dough down a few times as it kept spilling over the bowl, when I finally rolled it out today it *reeks* and I love it. I ended up discarding some scraps while getting it into a neat rectangle and cut them pretty thick - I probably could've done 2 batches of 1.25" rolls but gently caress it (see also: I don't have a second free pan as I have a bunch of things going on for a thing tomorrow). This was shaping after a very long cold rise, followed by a pretty long cold proof, and will be baked and glazed with a maple frosting as the first of 9 courses for the day tomorrow.

e; They came out tasty, though the fermentation largely got lost in the butter, cinnamon, sugar, and maple frosting. Oh well, a few days of fridge space lost.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 22, 2019

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I generally eschew a sweet breakfast, unless I'm running on black coffee and whiskey and need something I can hold in one hand. Because sweet breakfasts around here to don't match up to this. And drat, doing that egg yolk thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

I generally eschew a sweet breakfast, unless I'm running on black coffee and whiskey and need something I can hold in one hand. Because sweet breakfasts around here to don't match up to this. And drat, doing that egg yolk thing.

"Black coffee and whiskey" summarizes my breakfast 6 days a week, but that 7th day tends to involve pancakes, french toast, waffles, or some slightly sweet bready thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!
Wow, that waffle! I love all the different toppings with it. Great entry!