Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

OOrochi posted:

Mystic Shield: A reaction ability where the character uses their MP as a shield for their HP. As long as the user has 1 MP, they’re functionally immune to damage. I don’t necessarily like using it, because I like for my guys to have MP to do things, but it’s always annoying to see on enemies.

I'm surprised they didn't go the Tactics A2 route of having overflow damage be taken out of HP. I suppose if there's no 1v1 fights, it doesn't matter as much, but...

...Of course, I suppose if the goal is "make any AI enemy who has it a major pain in the butt" then having overflow damage disappear entirely makes that easier to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

You know, I'm genuinely interested in where they're going with Yates. He's actually an interesting idea for a necromancer.

Agreed, and I also like the fact that they acknowledge things like all the bending and breaking of rules on the part of the good guys. The writing continues to impress.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So far it's the most anti fascist heroic fantasy I can remember, I hope it keeps this way.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Update 19: Caravan Trail

Happy Turkey Day and welcome back! Last time, we listened to Kyrie voice her misgivings over Primus’s conduct and get slightly chided by Reiner, and then had Anadine get her mother’s armor refurbished. Then she and Reiner had a deep talk about their pasts and letting go, including the revelation of Yates’s crime against Reiner. This time, we’re going to go kill some monsters in the desert.

Also, I forgot to get a screenshot of the world map, so instead we’ll be working with the battle intro.

We pop in and Kyrie starts giving a warning to no one in particular.

They appear to be lumbering and slow, but can charge a great distance across open ground to attack, and pack a mean wallop when they do. Make use of these columns and ruins to deny them a clear path to charge.

And then it’s time to fight.

For this fight, we’re dealing with a number of nasty enemies. First up, and the brand new type Kyrie was talking about : the Bzzrks. Looking at their movement stats, they can barely get anywhere, so they shouldn’t be too threatening, right? Well, like Kyrie said, they can charge, and by charge I mean hit a unit that is any distance away in a straight, unobstructed line. They also have a passive that boosts the damage they do as a factor of how far they move in a turn, and already hit decently hard without it. They’re tough to put down and can really do a number on an exposed squishy unit.

Hiding on the sides, we also have 2 earth element pekites, and an Arpia up even higher off screen, all looking forward to harassing us.

Finally, we have the other new enemy type: the Zotzit. These guys are similar to the Bandit Kawas in that they’re essentially bonus enemies, this time for AP. However, they’re much more annoying to kill since they can make themselves totally evade any 1 attack, and have very annoying reaction ability. Whatever type of attack last hit them (basic, attack skill, magic) has a 0% chance to hit them again, so you need to alternate. Additionally, they’re much more aggressive than the Kawas. They’ll charge forward, hit you a bunch, and then use their super-powered “final sting” to absolutely mess up one of your guys and then escape from the battle. They’re annoying and tough to kill, but the bonus can be totally worth it since it’s hundreds of AP. Sadly, I do not get it this time.

On our side, we have Hannah and Anadine providing a solid front line for the Bzzerks to charge into, while Eustace, and Bobby (who’s now a druid) provide magical support, Azure for ranged damage, and Selina for general support/healing.

To open the fight, the Arpia flies down off of her perch but can’t hit anyone because all units are just out of reach.

So instead, Azure tries to root the Arpia down where she’d be out of the way. Sadly, the status doesn’t stick.

Two of the Bzzerk’s charge into Anadine. However, thanks to her armor and new shield Anadine has quite high defense so she’s mostly fine.

And the beetle’s positioning leaves them open for Bobby to exploit their weakness to water.

Anadine and Hannah beat up a beetle, and then the 3rd one comes charging down into Anadine.

Ending up in the perfect spot for Eustace to hit them all, taking 1 out and severely weakening the other 2.

The closing monsters focus on Anadine, including a solidly powerful blast from the Zohlmander that hits her through the Bzzrk.

Azure runs over to heal her with a heavy potion, and Anadine is nearly back to full health.

As the zholmanders/therval close, Bobby hits the bzzrks again, taking out both of them in one cast.

And soon after Hannah totally overkills the arpia with a righteous blade. It was the only way to get her, but I do wish I could’ve saved the MP.

Of course, Hannah pays for it by getting blasted by a full powered zohl beam.

And then gets taken out by one of the Pekites. Despite spending time as a knight, it really seems like Hannah could use some time in a more magically defensive class.

The zotzit floats over and nearly 1HKO’s Bobby. Instead it just blinds, poisons, and bleeds him while taking out about 90% of his health.

And then it runs like a coward.

Though she’s hurting, I have Azure try and root the Pekite and this time it works. Basic magic is relatively short ranged, so it’s effectively out of the fight for now.

After being weakened by Bobby, one of the zohlmanders falls to a hit from Anadine. Though I do have to smack it into Selina’s back with a push attack.

Meanwhile, the other pekite hops down and nearly takes out Azure. I’d just healed her, and that only barely kept her up.

But the other one’s stuck where it is and has to just heal the both of them.

Azure then roots the other pekite, leaving me much more free to clean things up.

After some more hits, Eustace takes out the last zohlmander.

And Bobby gets the therval with a bleed cast.

The first pekite moves up and hits Anadine, and then promptly gets absolutely obliterated by Eustace.

After I grab the two nearby chests, Eustace then takes out the last Pekite to finish the fight.

He definitely deserves the MVP too. Too bad Hannah went down though.

Overall, this mission went really well this time. I think the move for this fight is to try and draw the beetles in early, to take them out before the others can show up. In a previous try I tried to send Azure up top through the hole in the ground while the others hid from the beetles. This just resulted in everyone getting swarmed and blitzed down by a bunch of attacks in a row, actually causing me to lose the fight entirely.

One of the treasures I got were these jet boots. And you’re reading that right, they give an insane 40!! Jump boost to whoever wears them. They will be absolutely crucial to my next fight strategy, which is great because I nearly forgot about them entirely.

Next time, we’ll be heading over to Oldebzar to check out the new town and whatever’s beyond it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, that's one of the tougher fights in the game. The patrol for it is usually pretty drat tough, too.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Now I'm just going to picture Reiner bouncing around the battlefield on a pogo stick.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can those let us pick up some of those treasures in the previous stages? the ones that were out of reach?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

Can those let us pick up some of those treasures in the previous stages? the ones that were out of reach?

Yes they can! A good chunk of the ones that we've seen require other modes of movement as well but there are a few chests I could go back and grab with these boots. I'll probably just go back and grab them in between updates.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

Yup!

Edit: Beaten.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Each time I see Primus I look for a character called Unicron and realize I"m in the totally wrong forum.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 20: Oldebzar

Welcome back! Last time we fought a bunch of monsters on a trail through the desert and found what are essentially some giant moon shoes. This time, we’ll be heading into the next town, Oldebzar.

However, when we reach it we get thrust into another battle screen!

As Kyrie and Reiner enter the town square, we see a bunch of people looting the place and setting fires. Including one familiar face.

Who then stabs the guy kneeling in front of him.

Slay any that get in the way, but only if they’re in the way! Remember that we’re here for business, not sport!
It’s that bastard Mercier! Again! Unbelievable.
How in the world did he get free? Never mind. Right now we have to help the townsfolk
We need to figure out the source, how they’re able to keep mounting regular attacks. I’m going to fall back and investigate. Handle this one without me.

Reiner runs off screen as we’re shown the battle conditions. This is another defeat the leader one.

It also splits your group in half. On the right side I have Anadine, Kyrie, and Selina who’re going to charge in.

And the left side has Azure, Sophia, and Mongo who’ll hopefully lure people over to keep them from concentrating fire.

Which is needed because there are a lot of people in this fight. To start, we have Mercier and another ranger up top.

Below them there are a gunner, vangal, alchemystic (who knows the AOE haste buff), and a warmage.

And then below them there’s a duelist, merc, and a wizard that can easily threaten the whole lower floor. So we’re dealing with a 9 v 6 where they have pretty good positioning and can pretty easily overwhelm any one group.

The alchemystic open up by hasting himself and the gunner and vangal, which is less than ideal.

After a few more rounds of buffing, the duelist draws first blood by chucking a rock at Azure.

Who’s then shot, brought down to half health, and berserked.

On the right side, Kyrie weakens the warmage to try and lower his damage output.

I healed Azure, but she takes another solid hit from the merc.

On the right side, things are going just about as well as the other one, with Selina and Anadine taking heavy damage from the wizard and warmage.

Then I lose Azure to a series of hits from the gunner and duelist.

And then in my brilliance I leave Sophia next to the watering hole and she gets shoved in for an instant kill. Soon afterwards I also lose Anadine to a combo from the warmage, which makes me decide it’s time to restart.

I keep the same people but shift around their positions to get a better first turn and, most importantly, give Anadine those jet boots so she can get around the map. This time, the goal is to just rush Mercier and take him out ASAP before they can bring their numbers to bear.

Merceir decides to oblige me and poisons himself instead of getting any buffs out of the gambler skill.

Meanwhile, Azure goes and roots the wizard down in his corner. This way, he’s just barely too far away to threaten any of my people turn 1.

Meanwhile, Kyrie debuffs the much higher attacking stat on the warmage.

Back on the left side, it’s like the opening of FFTA as Mongo gets pelted by rocks.

Anadine moves up behind Kyrie and buffs herself.

And then she and Kyrie both get whacked by a burst from the warmage. Thankfully, without the extra hit from the wizard they both end up in much better shape than last time.

Mercier continues to make my job easier by moving up to shoot Kyrie.

Who retaliates soon after with a dark bolt to weaken him more.

And then, thanks to the jump boots, Anadine is able to scale the walls and run up to him.

And then take out Mercier with a 100% accurate strike.

Much better results this time. I did get lucky with the poison, but it wasn’t totally necessary. If he hadn’t poisoned himself, I think the only difference would’ve been that Kyrie would’ve gone down before Anadine took a second turn to finish Mercier off.

After the victory screen, we see that Anadine and Kyrie have cornered Mercier.

In that you are mistaken. Always so cocksure of yourselves, aren’t you? You Arbiters are all the same.

Mercier throws a smoke bomb down and runs off. I missed the screenshot, but Reiner can be seen just off map, jumping down and running after him.

He’s getting away!
Don’t give chase.
But he’s going to escape again!
Don’t worry, he’s not going far. Reiner is right behind him.
Reiner is following him? We wouldn’t need to follow him is you’d let me-
Don’t you find it odd how we captured Mercier not that long ago, and he’s out here raiding again already?
He must have escaped the Arbiter who took custody of him. What was his name? Dolman. Right?
That’s one possibility, yes. But let’s see what Reiner uncovers. In the meantime, let’s see if anyone here needs our help.

The scene cuts to Kyrie talking with a guy wearing a peddler outfit, while other people seem to be taking stock of the damage. The guy walks off and Kyrie returns to Anadine.

There’s always someone who takes advantage of the misfortunes of others, no matter the circumstances.
What? But we can’t allow that! Are we going to arrest him?
I might find his behavior reprehensible, but but we can’t just go forcing everyone to do what WE think is right at swordpoint. There would be no justice in that.
I understand. It seems I still have much to learn.
You’re doing fine. Keep asking the right questions and you’ll be a full Arbiter before you know it. Sylvia would be proud of you, I think.
I hope so, but I still have a ways to go before I can measure up to my mother’s legacy.
I know she was your mentor, but were you and mother close friends as well?
We were. She was an exceptional mentor and a true friend. Reiner should be back soon, I think.

And speak of the devil, Reiner then walks up to the ladies.

That took longer than I expected.
Mercier is quite the slippery fellow, cautious and difficult to track. It took all of my considerable cunning not to be seen. They’ve hit other settlements beyond Thespeiros and Oldebzar, and I wager they’re not finished yet.
That’s disquieting.
I tracked Mercier to a local rendezvous point. In my opinion, we should strike quickly and hard, and break up their operation for good. How we handle it is up to you, of course.
That was good work, Reiner.

If you decide on the latter, I warn you it will be a challenging fight against a large and well-equipped force. From what I saw, they seem to be hunkering down for a while, so we will have time if you wish to return later, after we’ve had a chance to prepare.

With that, we’ve liberated Oldebzar and found the Mercier’s meetup point. There’s also a new event available in Oldebzar. So next time, we’ll be checking that out and then heading back to Centina to fight in the arena!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
This level is where I gave up on this game. Between the plot being at a lull and the frustrating level, I moved on to other games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm curious, how's Sophia doing? She seems to be around a lot, but is almost never mentioned in the updates.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

mr_stibbons posted:

This level is where I gave up on this game. Between the plot being at a lull and the frustrating level, I moved on to other games.

Fair enough. It is a solid difficult spike, especially if you don't try and rush Mercier as soon as possible. In my first playthrough this was one of the fights I had the most trouble with, along with ekhidna falls before the patch and one map near the end game. Still, at least you'll be able to see what happens afterwards!

Cythereal posted:

I'm curious, how's Sophia doing? She seems to be around a lot, but is almost never mentioned in the updates.

She's doing really well! As of this update, I believe that she had fully mastered mender, was like 2/3 of the way through the wizard class, and was actually my highest leveled unit. I think the reason I'm not mentioning her that much is just that I often swap her to healing people right around when enemies start falling so she doesn't get many actual killing blows.

But yeah, she is one of the most useful units I have, which will be especially demonstrated 2 (I think) updates from now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Must be a nightmare of a fight given how the game gives you such an explicit warning.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

Must be a nightmare of a fight given how the game gives you such an explicit warning.

It's definitely a really difficult one, especially because there's no quick win condition like there is in Oldebzar. I think it's definitely a good idea that they made it optional, though there is a big reason to try and get it done as soon as you're able to.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 21: Dress up and Arena

Welcome back! Last time we saved the town of Oldebzar from a bandit attack led again by Mercier. Reiner tracked him down to his rendezvous point, giving us the option to follow up and hopefully stop the attacks for good. However, instead of doing that or progressing we’ll be checking out the new event in Oldebzar and then heading back to Centina to do the first series of arena fights.

We join the group in one of the town’s shops, about to head back out.

Yes?

Merchant: I want to give you something, a reward for your efforts defending the city.

That’s very kind of you, but Arbiters require no rewards for doing their duty.

Merchant: Captain, I must insist! Without you, Oldebzar would have been overrun. No Oldebzar, no shop.

Don’t you think it would be rude to refuse such generosity, Kyrie?
And the right sort of reward would aid us pursuing our duties in the future.

Merchant: I do insist, Captain. I will not let you leave until you’ve chosen something. Please.

Oh, very well.
Yay!

And our trio all try on new outfits which are a bit fancier than their usual fare.

Handsome!
I like the way that looks on you, Captain.
I have to admit this was a good idea.

That’s one way run the flag. The enemy will know we’re coming from a league away.

Throwing shade on Eustace’s fashion choices.

Huh. It didn’t look so garish on the rack.
She’s right, seeing you in that everyday would definitely be good for morale.
Haha, right.

Heehee!
The fit is too tight. I can’t seem to…
Do you need some help, Reiner?
No, Anadine, self-reliance is important for an Arbiter. I’m sure Reiner can handle this on his own. Let’s go find the owner and let him know we’re finished.

As Anadine and Kyrie leave Reiner to sort things out, we also get a copy of the newest light armor in stock. It’s not too expensive a gift, but nice to have as I’m re-equipping everyone.

Before I head out I want to show off this town’s merchant. Unlike other ones, he’s hanging out in the town market and is entirely hidden by his hood.

I also used the jet boots to get some treasures we missed, as well as another one of the obelisk clues that was hidden back at the ekhidna falls.

And with that done, we’re headed off to the arena! This time, it’s a series of 3 consecutive 6 v 6 fights. You can adjust your team between fights but I believe that any injuries sustained (from going down) aren’t healed until after all 3 fights are finished.

For the first fight, we’re bringing Anadine, Selena, Mongo, Yates, Bobby, and Azure. Azure is currently a mercenary to get some skills for her next class, and I believe Mongo is now a templar. Otherwise, I don’t think there are any notable changes.

The other team is a mix of physical and magical classes, all of whom have a nasty secondary as well. The most annoying one of the bunch is the mender, because it’ll obviously help keep the enemies standing. The assassin could also be annoying if it decides to spam status conditions at me.

Azure starts the fight off by hitting the fellblade with some arrows.

And Mongo taunts him too.

Side note: Taunt is absolutely amazing. It has no mp cost, has a slight range, has a 100% berserk infliction chance, and basically neutralizes the unit for 3 turns. Yes, they can hit you, but it’s only with a basic attack, and that’s still less dangerous than whatever else they might’ve done.

The battle lines close as the assassin hits all 3 front liners with a sleep powder, though only Anadine falls asleep. She’s quickly healed by Yates, though she does take a big hit that wakes her up.

After a blast of Thunder Locus from Bobby, Azure is able to just barely take out the assassin thanks to the AOE on multishot.

The druid retaliates with some magic

But Bobby puts a stop to that with another taunt.

Thanks to the spear’s extended range, the knight gets a very nice position to use One for All, and the berserked fell blade decides to show if off by hitting Mongo. He’s pretty much fine though.

Azure chucks a rock at the fellblade to soften him up and Mongo takes him out with a defensive hit.

The mender keeps being annoying. I’d nearly taken out both him and the druid, but he heals them back up.

There’s a bit more of a scrum in the center until Anadine breaks through and bursts down the druid.

And Azure then follows up by taking out the mender with another rain of arrows.

It takes pretty much my entire team, but Selina then manages to down the knight.

And then Azure finishes the fight off with an absolutely overkill sniper shot.

No gold, but we do have the option to back out and get some winnings. But we’re going all the way.

Only change this time is that I swapped out Azure for Hannah since she’d been falling a little behind in levels. Hannah is currently a scoundrel for class reasons, but has templar as a secondary.

On the other side, we have a much more offensive team. The standouts are the templar, reaver, and sorcerer. Not sure if I’ve mentioned them before, but sorcerers are like Illusionists from the FFT games. High cost skills that hit all enemies on the map, though their damage is at least slightly based on proximity and their most powerful skills hit every single person. Still, they can be very nasty is they sit in the backline.

The peddler starts laying traps down, which could be very annoying without a ranger to spot them. As the groups close, both sides buff up.

And another battle is actually started by chucking rocks at Mongo. However, no one else gets close for a bit and both side just keep buffing as they approach.

As demonstrated by the number of buffs shown right now. It does make them really tempting targets for Hannah and Mongo with their cleansing blades.

Though the druid is very rude and dispels all of the buffs on our front liners.

But that’s okay because Hannah just goes and borrows his.

The reaver was left isolated, and Yates blasts him with a dark spell. Anadine, freshly buffed up, easily takes him out.

Bobby and Selina get some nice AOEs off on the templar and druid.

But the templar runs over to Anadine and hits her with his own cleansing blade, taking out most of her HP.

Hannah then runs up to the sorcerer to try and drain his MP. Sadly, she misses this.

Meanwhile, I take advantage of Anadine’s low HP to get an enraged blow off for essentially no cost. Bobby then cures Selina’s root status, and she runs over to heal Anadine with a heavy potion (150 hp heal).

On her own, things go bad for Hannah. First, the peddler chucks a rock at her, which does a flat 80 damage since peddlers have a passive that doubles all item effects.

And then, because the sorcerer still had MP, he calls down a giant chunk of ice that takes out Hannah and does a ton to the rest of the team.

Which is not helped by the templar, who piles on even more damage.

However, because the templar’s nearly at full health there’s not much of a downside to hitting him with an AOE heal as I patch people up.

I also really need to take out that sorcerer before he goes off again, so Anadine runs over to start working. Sadly, the sorc barely survives and poisons her on a counter.

So Selina fires off a healing burst to help keep her and everyone else up (thank god for smart casting on this one).

And Bobby finishes him off with a rock so I have no chance of missing.

Though the templar takes advantage of the new hole to hit everyone again.

The druid follows up with a cast of water, and I nearly lose Anadine again. Mongo then taunts the druid to put a stop to any more casts.

And then Anadine is able to take out the templar. From here, it’s mostly cleanup that just takes a while because all 3 enemies keep healing each other.

But eventually Selina takes out the druid.

Bobby misses a chance to take out the peddler, so Selina confirms that KO as well.

And then Mongo finishes off the alchemystic to end the fight.

Ouch that Hannah went down again, but it really could’ve been a lot worse considering how close things were at some points.

On to fight 3! This time we have 2 menders (groan) backing up 4 Bzil. As a quick review, Bzil use monsters as classes, including whatever movement or elemental resistances their primary monster would have. So they can be pretty tough and have some really effective ability combos.

For this one, Sophia’s coming in, as well as a knighted Reiner (for the same class change reasons). The strat this time is going to be to use the debris on the map as a choke point and hopefully down the Bzil while they’re stuck in that area.

The fight itself starts with Reiner launching some arrows at one of the Bzil for a bit of damage. Though another Bzil just runs up and uses a potion on him.

People continue moving up. One of the Bzils has a cool movement where he burrows underground and pops up somewhere else. That could definitely cause problems with my whole choke point strategy. Though this time he just throws a rock at Yates.

The front Bzil had accrued a solid number of buffs, so Mongo gets rid of them.

Followed up by a beam attack from Kyrie and a big spell from Sophia.

Which weakens one Bzil enough for Reiner to get him with a multishot. Now, what I haven’t been showing is that the front Bzil counters attacks by inflicting the weakened status effect, which prevents any healing. Thankfully, Reiner and Sophia both dodged it but Mongo, Kyrie, and Yates are all unhealable.

Which is a problem when the pekite-Bzil casts a big water hit on the front group.

And then the burrowing one teleports behind and hits most of the back group.

Yates heals Reiner and Sophia to prevent an easy snipe, and then runs off so Bobby can clear his status with an item in relative safety.

Sadly Yates’s heal was not enough for Sophia, and this super buffed up Bzil takes her out.

Mongo starts getting revenge by clearing out his buffs, followed up by a big hit from Kyrie.

And Reiner finishes him off. Somehow, Yates manages to survive to his turn as well, and heals himself back up with a potion.

The menders are kind enough to line up for Kyrie to hit all 3 enemies with a beam attack.

And Reiner finishes off another Bzil with a sniper shot. This was through the super-high pekite defense, so I was really happy to see it work out.

And then to prevent one of the menders from bringing him right back, I have Yates finally use Reanimate, and turn that Bzil into a zombie.

After a few rounds chasing the enemies around, Reiner manages to down one of the menders, which is great.

Though the other mender brings back the Bzil that took out Sophia.

So I have Mongo go put a stop to anymore of that.

Soon afterwards, Bobby takes advantage of the burrowing Bzil’s fire weakness to take out most of his hp with a fire locus.

And Reiner snipes him as well.

Meanwhile, Mongo ends up a bit short of killing the revived Bzil.

Who then takes out Bobby and then just dies to Mongo’s counter attack.

And with that, it’s just down to a berserked mender whom Kyrie executes with prejudice.

Bobby gets MVP for the fight, and we get a big pile of gold as well as 2 very nice accessories. The Phoenix Band automatically applies the reraise status to its owner at the start of battle, while the Riftwalkers allow the wearer to teleport (effectively giving them the flying movement type). The Riftwalkers are especially useful, both in battle and for getting special chests.

And with that extra long update, we’ll head back to Oldebzar to prep for next time, when we’ll be dealing with Mercier once and for all!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Well that's not suspicious at all!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good job on the arena fight!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

Well that's not suspicious at all!

Nope, not one bit. Though in actuality, I don't think that he does anything. Just another bit of weirdness in the world.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Good job on the arena fight!

Thanks! Things were a bit easy early on but, based on some recent fights, I'm thinking that the difficulty settings I chose are just about right to make some fun but challenging fights.

In other news, I noticed on the store page that the developers are working on some DLC for this. There have only been 2 devlogs so far about it, but it looks to be pretty interesting.

6 Eyes Studio posted:

As such, the plan is to add a missions system, a guild upgrade system, recruitable monsters, a monster-taming system, monster classes, new encounters, new classes and new crafting recipes. We're also adding large encounters that will feature a lot more combatants on each side, for putting to work more of those units you've been collecting.

The missions look similar to sending away parties on missions in the FFTA games, and there's a bunch more details if you're interested to see them.

Lastly, this coming week looks like it'll be a busy one for me, so I'm going to make the mid-week update a smaller progress report-esque one and then some job overviews. Would people rather I go over some more of the generic classes that we've been encountering or the 2 more unique ones that'll be revealed next update?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 22: Restful Stones

Welcome back! Last time we went through a series of pretty grueling arena battles in Centina. This time we’ll be heading over to the Restful Stones to deal with Mercier and whoever’s supporting him for good.

But first I went and got of the new chests available, thanks to the riftwalkers and jet boots.

Just a neat thing to notice is that occasionally there’ll be a random friendly NPC who fights alongside you in patrols. If they survive the fight, you’ll get a little bonus though there’s no penalty if they don’t. As evidenced by this guy being surrounded by Pekites, he did not survive.

I also found a special crest that unlocks our first secret class! In addition to fulfilling job requirements, you also need to have a copy of each secret class’s specific crest to unlock them, and the crests are generally in short supply. It is possible to craft every crest as well, though the materials won’t be available for quite a long time.

Anyway, the first available secret class is the Werewolf. It’s mobile, with good attacking stats and speed and some useful skills. It’s not as absolutely crazy as some of the other secret classes, but I’m a big fan of it. Considering that Hannah is already about all-out attack, I thought it was pretty fitting for her to get the first crack at it.

With those quick matters out of the way, it’s time for a battle!

Cut in to a graveyard, with Mercier, Dolman, Septimus, and a bunch of goons surrounding our friend Bzaro!

But Septimus, as I reported, every one of these mishaps is the fault of Mercier.
Stow that drivel you jumped-up squire! It was Arbiters what kept showing up and attacking us every time we turned our backs! And where were you lot? Your only task was to keep those curs off our trail!
If I didn’t have a mob of incompetents to babysit-

Septimus throws out an arm

ENOUGH!
Just… deal with him. And take more care in your duties from now on. Your job is to perform the tasks you’ve been assigned and spare me from petty distractions. Know that if you continue to disappoint me, you will be retired. In case that is too ambiguous for you, by “retired”, I mean “slain.”

Bzaro starts backing into the corner as the camera shifts southeast.

And our party walks up, just in time.

Aha, found them! And some of their playmates as well.
That can’t be… Septimus?!
Gods, what now?! One of you buffoons was followed again! And by a Marked, this time! I don’t have time for this nonsense. Deal with them as well, and you had better be thorough this time. If any one of them survives, you’d best be certain you do not.

Septimus teleports out.

And Bzaro takes advantage of the distraction to shank a guy and make his way over to us.

Bzaro, I can’t say I expected to find you here.
These days it seems like I’m mandibles-deep in one secret investigation after another. This time it’s corrupt Arbiters. I do believe I just uncovered some conclusive evidence.

Dolman.
Come come, don’t look at me like that. Everything can be explained.

Still your weasel tongue! We’ve already seen what your negotiating gets us. We’re putting this hunting dog down once and for all, and you’re going to help.
Fine. But later on, you and I are going to have a little talk about respect, Mercier.
Front and center, everyone! You know the drill, no survivors!

And it’s time to fight! This is another tough one. There is a lot of enemies who all have double classes, and most of them have the full ability list. Additionally, there’s no real way to separate any group out, and the assassins are all basically guaranteed to go first due to their very high speed.

We do have Bzaro helping out as well, but he’s basically a non-entity. It’s rare that he survives past the first round, and if he does survive he’ll either run back to a corner and heal himself or rush into the middle of the enemies and essentially suicide.

After multiple tries, this time I’m bringing in Mongo, Hannah, Reiner (who’s now a gunner), Bobby, and Sophia. Kyrie is also now a fellblade.

A key thing for this formation is that no one in the first 2 rows is adjacent to anyone else in those rows. That’s because the assassins have a bunch of status moves that are ranged and hit a 3x1 line, so this should prevent them from htting multiple people before I can move.

One of the assassins opens the fight up by blinding Sophia.

And then Mercier and one of the assassins almost take out Bzaro before he can even move.

Bzaro then gets to take a turn and starts talking.

We followed one of the bandits here after disrupting their plan to attack Oldebzar.
Really?! How did one of these lowlifes manage to escape your grasp?
We let him escape, of course. We suspected the bandits were colluding with corrupt Arbiters and arranged for Reiner to track him.
What a lucky break for me!

And then he just runs back into a corner.

Reiner does my first damage by shooting one of the assassins.

Mongo hits him again.

And on Kyrie’s turn she calls out Dolman.

Hmph. You saw who’s in charge. Does it look like I had a choice?
I think you were selected because you have a taste for criminal activities. I doubt anyone in my outfit would have received such an offer.
Bah, I’ve had enough of your lectures! You will be dealt with, I promise. Then we’ll pin all the attacks on a Marked Arbiter gone crazed with her newfound power!
I wasn’t looking forward to taking down an Arbiter, even a crooked one, but you do make it easy. Several citizens lost their lives during your operations. You’ll find no pity here.

And then she drives her point home by taking out that assassin.

I then make a nasty discovery that the gunner is also a warmage, meaning that they have a very long range and powerful attacks. The only good side is that their magic is pretty low, so the magic attack parts aren’t quite as nasty as they could be.

Sophia’s out of range to do any damage, so she just patches up Kyrie and Mongo.

Dolman then buffs a lot of people’s attack, which is very, very bad.

As demonstrated by this assassin nearly 1 shotting Bobby.

Mercier finishes the job. Which is not great.

Which is followed up by one of the assassins finishing off Bzaro.

In desperation, I have Mongo taunt the warmage to hopefully stop a little bit of the incoming damage.

And Kyrie takes a shot at the 2 remaining assassins.

And it was a good thing I berserked that warmage, because that would have probably been another kill on one of my people.

Hannah runs back to clear the assassin and ends up literally 1 hp short of a kill.

A bunch of enemies barrage Reiner.

And Mongo continues his taunting.

Kyrie then takes out the annoyingly lucky assassin with a rock.

Due to the berserk, there’s a string of enemies attacking each other.

And then Hannah once again ends up a few hp short of a kill.

The templar hits Reiner and takes him out.

Things are looking pretty bad right now, so I have Sophia revive Bobby, since he has slightly more survivability than Reiner.

There’s a general fight in the center, where my guys get blasted by the warmage, hit Mercier a bunch, and then the AI uses a heavy potion to heal him right up. So I have Mongo taunt him again to hopefully keep my guys up and fighting.

He still shoots Kyrie in the face and then the gunner blasts her and kills her.

I need to try and keep my numbers up, so Bobby revives Kyrie with an item. She’s eminently 1-shot able right now, so I’ve really gotta hope no one goes after her.

Hannah then uses the first werewolf skill and bites the vangal (which I just liked the image of).

While Dolman goes and heals himself and Mercier.

And I have a heart attack when the last assassin attacks Kyrie. Thankfully, she barely survives, but is put to sleep, along with Hannah.

The templar uses Rapturous Chant to heal his entire team. I honestly think this was a good thing for me since he was at full health, but it’s still annoying to see.

Kyrie’s too damaged for a basic heal to keep her up, so Sophia uses a heavy potion to heal her.

And Mongo keeps on taunting.

As I keep getting blasted, I have Bobby, then Hannah, then Sophia heal people.

Thanks to the berserking AIs, I have a quick moment of respite where Bobby can use his new double cast to deal some good damage. Annoyingly, both Mercier and the warmage have mystic shield, so they essentially take no damage from this.

But Hannah comes in clutch this time and 1 shots the warmage from full health with a Righteous Blade.

Sophia’s looking low, so I have Kyrie use one of my dwindling stock of items to patch her up.

But she then gets blasted down by the enemies and taken out again.

Luckily Sophia has juuuust enough MP to bring her back up.

After a bit more scrambling, Sophia is finally in a position to do damage and takes out the Vangal with a cast of Fire II, while also doing heavy damage to Dolman.

I mis-select and have Mongo give himself reraise instead of killing Dolman with a Righteous Blade.

So Hannah finishes him off instead.

But things take a turn for the worse as Mercier does a ton of damage and the last assassin takes out Sophia.

I NEED Sophia up and healing to be able to finish this, so I have Kyrie revive her with my last phoenix ashes, and then have Hannah sacrifice herself to heal everyone.

The gunner/warmage takes the opportunity to be annoying and revive an assassin.

While the other assassin takes a shot at Sophia, but misses.

Mongo chases the closer assassin around and gets rewarded by getting hit with assassinate. Despite the name, it’s just a very strong hit that can inflict a bunch of status ailments.

Mongo survives and then takes out the close assassin.

And soon after, Mongo and Sophia team up to take out the other one.

After beating him up for a bit to get through his mystic shield (repeatedly) Sophia takes him out with a Thunder Locus, though he just auto-revives.

The gunner takes Kyrie out again.

But Mongo is finally able to put Mercier down for good.

And now that it’s 2 on 1, with both of my units outside of 1 shot range, it’s time to clean up this gunner.

Which Mongo does, ending the fight.

As I said earlier, this is a really tough fight. There are a lot of tough enemies with long ranged and high-powered attacks and no cover or real way to break the group up. Buffs are also unreliable due to Dolman always having a templar class and usually one or more of the other arbiters having it as a subclass. You really need to figure out how to both survive the initial onslaught of assassins and then decrease incoming damage as the rest of the enemies quickly catch up.

The big weakness I noticed in this fight is that they don’t have much healing or ways to get rid of statuses, other than items and whatever templars are around. I went with berserk because it was available, but I think if you leaned heavily on using fellblades and gamblers to inflict disabling statuses early on, you could have another solid path towards victory.

Still, I’m overall happy at how I did, and how the game’s been going on this difficulty. I’ve had to retry a few fights, but have mostly been coming out with close wins which I think is the most fun way to have it.

Anyway, after the fight the party starts talking with Bzaro.

That’s tiwce now you’ve saved my thorax with your excellent timing.
Always a pleasure, Bzaro.
What’s next?
If Septimus is the leader of those bandits, we have to report this to the council at once!
I don’t fancy sending anyone alone to report this. And Primus made it clear the Council wants us to focus on the Pilgrimage. We’ll report to the Council once the Pilgrimage is over. Illuster is at the end of our journey anyway.
Septimus mentioned a big operation planned in the Kawa lands. Since that’s the final leg of your trip, we should at least keep our eyes open. Anything useful we can discover will mean a more thorough report to the Council.
We?
Well, since our objectives align, I thought we might as well team up. Perhaps if we travel together, you won’t need to swoop in and save my chitinous bottom quite so often.
A compelling argument.
All right. Welcome aboard, Bzaro.
It’s settled then!
Reiner, we must have a feast to celebrate our new partnership! Get cooking, friend!
I’m already regretting this.

The big reason to do this quest early is that Bzaro joins you for good afterwards! Like the tooltip says, he has pretty different class system to work with, and in general can end up being quite powerful with the right combinations of monsters and passives.

However, I’ll get to that at a later date. For now, we’ll leave things here.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jeez that was quite a fight.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Werewolf is also pretty good for leveling in, as it gives the most attack on level ups. Or at least, I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Bzaro is quite a hassle to get going, but once he does get going he's extremely strong. Also scratches that Collect Em All itch!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

OOrochi posted:

Know that if you continue to disappoint me, you will be retired. In case that is too ambiguous for you, by “retired”, I mean “slain.”

There's just something comfy about a villain with some sass and a good Failed Me For The Last Time policy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm personally partial to "Deal with them as well, and you had better be thorough this time. If any one of them survives, you’d best be certain you do not."

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Heh. "Diplomacy? Negotiation? Weasel words--" "NOPE, gently caress THAT, MURDER"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Werewolf? This game's Blue Mage? Huh, this seems interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's an Immortal doing with a group of highwaymen?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

ultrafilter posted:

What's an Immortal doing with a group of highwaymen?

Well, maybe he was a Highwayman in a previous life?

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019

berryjon posted:

Werewolf? This game's Blue Mage? Huh, this seems interesting.

From the enemies, and general guesstimating, it seems like a halfway between Blue Mage and FFTA's Morphers.... so its Gau, but less Zerk, more Lore

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Werewolf is also pretty good for leveling in, as it gives the most attack on level ups. Or at least, I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Yeah, it's up there. Anadine's Demon Knight beats it and it ties with Reaver for attack, but it gets a bit more mind, res, and speed in exchange for less HP. I'd lean towards saying werewolf has better overall growths.

vilkacis posted:

There's just something comfy about a villain with some sass and a good Failed Me For The Last Time policy.

Oh yeah, I think this game does its villains very well. The writing's good enough that they can sound so smug or eeeeevvviiiiillll with it being too cheesy.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 23: Progress Report

Like I said earlier, this is a busy week for me so the mid-week update’s just going to be a quick overview of what’s been going on with each unit.

First up is Kyrie. She’s mostly stuck with physical classes so far, though she’s just recently moved into Fellblade to take advantage of the hybrid modifers on her Marked abilities. Otherwise, she hasn’t mastered any class fully, though she has effectively maxed Marked until the last ability is unlocked. I think my at least long term goal is to get her into warmage.

Next up is Reiner. Again, he’s had a smattering of physical classes, but the requirements to unlock the Gunner class opened up a few more options than Kyrie has had so far. He’s fully mastered ranger, and is pretty close to getting scoundrel as well. Once I unlock it, his next step is probably assassin.

Because he started as a wizard, Bobby got a bit of a head start on the magic attacking classes, having mastered wizard itself, and nearly mastered druid. Magically, he’s pretty versatile, especially now that he has access to doublecast. His next stop is going to be sorcerer and then either a secret class or back down to alchemystic to finish it off.

The attack in this photo is a bit lopsided due to using a crossbow for alchemystic, but Sophia somehow actually has both solidly high and balanced attacking stats, despite staying entirely as a magic user. She, along with Selina, has been my main healer but has been catching up to Bobby in the attacking classes. After druid, I have a few special classes that I think she’ll be a good fit for and will give her a different niche than Bobby will end up with.

Mongo is a tank, pretty plain and simple. He doesn’t die, and the combo of templar and knight abilities gives him an answer to most situations. He’s nearly maxed mercenary, maxed knight, and will soon max templar as well. To be honest, other than maybe wanting a few passives, I’m not sure where to actually go with him from here. There’s one endgame class he’ll probably go to, but other than that I might just keep him as is, and just leech off of others’ AP to get through basic classes.

As a counterpoint to Mongo’s defense, Hannah is much more offensive, having mastered templar fully, and is now a much more attack-focused werewolf. She’s currently fast, mobile, and quite powerful. After making her way through werewolf, I think I’ll make her a reaver to continue on the attacking path.

Because she joined later and was already partially leveled, Azure is essentially a less diversified Reiner. Still, she performs the role almost as well as he does, and since she’s a non-story character she has access to a few classes that he doesn’t, giving her a different niche later on. Right now she’ll probably just make her way through gunner and then assassin, at least until I get access to those other classes.

I have no idea why plague doctor isn’t appearing on her ability list, but here’s Selina. She started off as a bit more of a support character with plague doctor but, after mastering it, is a solid generalist who’s decently bulky and can use the abilities in fellblade quite well. Because fellblade abilities all count as basic attacks, I’ve actually had her use a knife instead of a rapier to take advantage of its ability to inflict extra status effects. For the future, she’ll probably also head towards war mage, though there’s a secret class I might put her in after Sophia gets it.

Next up is Eustace, who after quite a while of hanging out casting magic, is finally able to fight with a rapier. He’s turned out a bit frailer than the rest of the group, so I need to be careful with him, but he also often gets multiple kills thanks to the boon passive and burst from the elemental Locuses. He’ll probably also head towards warmage for the near term, and then I’ll figure out another path from there.

Near the end we have Anadine. Thanks to getting demon knight early as well as its high AP costs to learn abilities, Anadine has basically only been a mercenary and a demon knight. That said, she is incredibly strong offensively, and will be even stronger once I get the last ability in demon knight. Afterwards, I’ll probably send her to scoundrel and start working her way towards reaver and maybe duelist/assassin (with an end-goal of dual wielding scythes back in demon knight).

Because I’ve been unconsciously not using him much, Yates has pretty much just been an anatomist. It’s a good class, but I definitely need to finish it up and move him down the rest of the magic tree. If nothing else, getting double cast is a must.

And finally, here is Bzaro. Though we just got him so there’s not too much to say for his progression. I go over this in more detail in his overview, but he can essentially use a combination of the classes and abilities of any monster I encounter. Pretty much all of them have their good points, and his stats automatically adjust to whatever class he’s in. If at some point anyone wants to suggest a combination of monsters to try out, I’ll gladly go for it and report back on how effective it seems to be.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Job Overview: Bzil

Since we just got him, I might as well go over Bzaro’s class so I can stop dancing around it.

It’s probably pretty obvious, but Bzaro/the Bzil in general are this game’s version of a blue mage. However, they do it a bit differently from a regular blue mage, and end up a bit more similar to a morpher from FFTA. Rather than having 1 job that gets 1 or 2 abilities from each monster, the Bzil get access to all 20 different monster families as individual jobs, and are free to mix and match primary jobs, secondary skillsets, and any passives or reactions from any job. Because there are so many available, I won’t describe all of them, but basically, any ability that you see a monster use, a Bzil could also use.

Instead of having a job tree, the Bzil unlock new jobs by gathering 5 monster essences (essentially by being in a combat where that monster is defeated 5 times). Rather than having stat growths that are affected by jobs, Bzil stats automatically adjust to whatever job you make their primary. They also change their base movement stats to fit as well. They also are stuck with their natural weapons and can’t equip any armor, which is actually a bonus because it means you have 5 free slots to use for boots and other accessories.

So with all of that, you end up with an incredibly versatile and customizable unit. Want to have the defense of a Pekite but even stronger magic attacks and healing? You can do that. Want to get bonus damage from movement on a class that flies and can have up to 10 squares of movement and also has cleave? You can do that.

The only real downsides the Bzil have is that it can be a bit of a pain to level up each job to get all of the things you want, and that you’re entirely gated by which monsters are available to fight. But if you’re willing to put in the little bit of effort to get them up there, the Bzil are incredibly powerful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OOrochi posted:

They also are stuck with their natural weapons and can’t equip any armor, which is actually a bonus because it means you have 5 free slots to use for boots and other accessories.

ultrafilter posted:

I don't have strong feelings about anyone's job, but I really care about seeing a character with six pairs of boots.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

OOrochi posted:

I have no idea why plague doctor isn’t appearing on her ability list, but here’s Selina. She started off as a bit more of a support character with plague doctor but, after mastering it, is a solid generalist who’s decently bulky and can use the abilities in fellblade quite well. Because fellblade abilities all count as basic attacks, I’ve actually had her use a knife instead of a rapier to take advantage of its ability to inflict extra status effects. For the future, she’ll probably also head towards war mage, though there’s a secret class I might put her in after Sophia gets it.

So Selina started as a Plague Doctor, without getting the Mender 4 that you need to actually enter the class. That menu will only show the classes the character can "legally" enter and learn from, and Selina cannot become a Plague Doctor until she meets the requirements.

You get a small grace period the first time you change their class, meaning you can swap back and forth freely on the class change menu, but once you leave that menu, the character loses access to any classes they don't meet the requirements for.

Anyway,

ultrafilter posted:

I don't have strong feelings about anyone's job, but I really care about seeing a character with six pairs of boots.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 24: Iirzk’tara Gorge

Welcome back! Last time we went through a hell of a fight dealing with a group of corrupt Arbiters and bandits, which resulted in discovering the Immortal Septimus was in on the plot, as well as rescuing Bzaro from their clutches. This time we’ll have a much more straightforward battle as we head through Iirzk’tara Gorge.

This one’s pretty simple, just straight into battle.

This is an interesting map, though the battle is just your bog-standard condition.

Against us, we have 9 enemies. 2 Pekites, 2 Bzzerks, a Termagant, and 3 new guys: 2 Blardgers and 1 upgraded Belzeblinder. They’re big bulky guys who hit quite hard and have a passive that increases all damage and healing done by them, depending on how many enemies are adjacent to them. In addition to a skill that gives them 2 random buffs, their main move is the AOE attack that one of the Bzils in the last arena fight used. Overall, they’re tough, but a bit slow so you can play around them if you’re careful.

The last enemy is a basic zombie with a special name and item. In fact, this zombie is quite important because a special drop from him serves to unlock our next unique class. However, if you kill him normally, you don’t get anything special. What you have to do is kill him with the ranger’s Collect Pelt skill, and then you’ll get what you need. Thankfully, if you miss him in this fight, he’ll keep respawning in every patrol in this area until you figure out what to do.

Though he is physically able to leave that area through the yellow square, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do it. So this fight is really a 6 v 8 instead.

For our party, I’m bringing Anadine (who has the riftwalkers to teleport), Bobby, Eustace, Kyrie, Reiner, and Bzaro. The map itself is sort of divided into three separate levels, with a few enemies on each, and my initial plan is to try and rush up top and then use reiner and the mages to pick off the slower enemies at leisure.

When the fight starts, Kyrie points out the zombie, which serves as a hint to check him out if you didn’t do so already.

Reiner then opens the fight with an attempt to root the Blardger. Sadly, it doesn’t take and he comes down and punches Bzaro for like half of his hp.

Meanwhile Anadine uses her first move to teleport over to the special chest and open it. We get another crest for a secret class, the vessel. They’re at least fluffed sort of like a summoner, and I think they’re quite powerful.

I wail on the Blardger as the upper Pekite hits Reiner with a nasty magic attack.

Soon afterwards, Reiner is able to put the final hit in and take out the first Blardger. Which is great because he was going to do quite a bit of damage to whoever he hit next.

Down below the Belzebinder slowly advances and continues buffing himself.

Eustace hits him with some rocks.

And then gets hit with a rock himself.

Bzaro goes and effectively neuters this Pekite by muting it.

I generally continue fighting in my corner, mostly focusing on the Blardger.

However, I wasn’t paying attention to how high the Belzebinder could jump, so I left Bobby open for him. He has a boosted crit chance thanks to a passive, which procs and takes Bobby down in 1 shot.

The Termagant then does the most useless skyjack I’ve ever seen.

It does do a solid bit of damage, but also just makes it so Anadine does more damage on her counterattack.

Anadine then teleports up and uses an AOE to take out the Blardger, though she takes heavy damage from the recoil and then the Belzebinder’s counter.

Because she killed the Blardger, cleave procs and she can move again. However, I’m a moron and am apparently unable to read numbers.

So he survives and kills her on the counter.

Eustace finally finishes him off though.

Soon afterwards, Kyrie weakens the Termagant for Reiner to finish off.

And Eustace uses the boon he got from taking out the Belzebinder the nearly 1HKO the Pekite. I also had Bzaro revive Anadine because she could easily grab the other chest or 2 on the map.

But not before taking a big whack at one of the Bzzerks that finally made it over. I hadn’t been meaning to, but by staying on the elevated back area I had made it so that they couldn’t charge me and had to just trundle slowly towards me.

Kyrie then finishes him off.

The other Pekite uses a move where it sacrifices itself to revive the fire one Eustace killed.

Who then promptly does the same thing the revive the Belzebinder.

The other Bzzerk charged in and Eustace lands another finishing blow.

Through all of this, Reiner is just up top bullying the zombie to get it ready.

And since the Belzebinder is on its own, I just have Kyrie put it to sleep. Also, because it’s a ranged attack, he couldn’t have used his strong counter even if the sleep hadn’t procced.

Bzaro purges his buffs, just in case.

Eustace hits him with an Earth Locus to nearly kill him,

And then Bzaro goes again to finish him off.

Anadine runs around to grab the chests, and then Reiner finishes the fight off.

Getting us the special drop from the zombie along the way.

Eustace gets MVP and Bzaro unlocks 2 more monster classes to work with.

Because we got the locket, we can use it to craft a piece of equipment, which is really great, and is the key to unlocking the special class.

And lastly, because people wanted to see it, here’s Bzaro with 5 pairs of boots. Not even any special ones, these are just basic craftable boots.

He can cover just about half of the map in 1 turn. It’s pretty nice.

Anyway, with that brief aside done, we’ll be ending things here. Next time we’ll be heading into the town of Zzakander Spires!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How many classes do we have left to unlock anyway?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

7 league boots or 7 1 league boots?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

aegof posted:

You get a small grace period the first time you change their class, meaning you can swap back and forth freely on the class change menu, but once you leave that menu, the character loses access to any classes they don't meet the requirements for.

Ah, that'd explain it. I knew there was a special thing for units that started as advanced classes, guess I must've assumed that it'd still be available afterwards. Thanks!

SSNeoman posted:

How many classes do we have left to unlock anyway?

By my count, there are 7 human classes that we haven't either seen in battle or turned someone into, 6 if you don't include the Vessel. All of those are either unique or ones from the crest system. Then there are a few more monsters that haven't popped up for Bzaro to get. So we're overall winding down on new things popping up, which might let me actually cover everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Huh, I like the Blardgers. Their faces are kind of like those of leaf-nosed bats. Only with mops of hair.