Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Puppy Time posted:

Their recordings included things like a heart rate slowing and stopping, which isn't really a thing radio picks up. It's pretty clearly fraud according to anyone with any vague knowledge of the Russian space program. I guess there's some room for someone else fooling the two, but most likely they were faking it all.

I hadn't heard of that part - was it meant to be telemetry of vital signs? But by "deluded" I was wondering if they kidded themselves into overinterpreting garbled signals and noises into something intelligible. Fraud seems simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If someone is resourceful, capable, and making spurious claims they're usually defrauding someone.

If they're uncreative, inept and making spurious claims, they're delusional.

This doesn't preclude idiots defrauding people, but until the past few years, I'd assumed common sense would keep us protected from the wiles of an idiot huckster.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jul 9, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
'Common sense is not a single unique conception, identical in time and space. It is the "folklore" of philosophy, and, like folklore, it takes countless different forms. Its most fundamental character is that it is a conception which, even in the brain of one individual, is fragmentary, incoherent and inconsequential.'
- Gramsci

I know you probably mean 'common sense' more in the sense of 'don't put your shoes on before your socks, everyone knows that' and not 'cows lie down when it's going to rain, everyone knows that', but still, you can never rely on peoples' intuitions and assumptions. Humans are pathetically easy to influence and manipulate, even (and often especially) the 'smart' ones

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

OutOfPrint posted:

I stumbled across a YouTube treasure trove of George Noory's interview show Beyond Belief at work, so I've been listening to that while waiting for computer stuff to process. The three big takeaways from this experience are:

1. George Noory looks and sounds like Gomez Addams's perpetually gobsmacked younger brother, and is exactly the kind of naive that lets him blindside his guests with confusing and conflicting information to throw them off balance.
  2. All of Noory's guests look and sound like one off Bob's Burgers characters.
  3. I'm not entirely sure Noory knows that the movie clips he shows to his guests are fiction.

In an interview with a guy who claimed the mythological flood was caused by an ice ball that dumped two miles of depth of water on a mostly dry world, the guest put a map up on the screen behind them of what the world looked like before the ice ball. Noory asked, with complete sincerity, what the blue stuff on the map was supposed to represent. When talking to an annunaki nut who was saying the fallen angels who came down to smang it with some human women to create the nephilim were aliens, Noory asked, with the enthusiasm of a small child, "Did they have wings?!"

George Noory is an absolute delight and I'm disappointed it took me this long to discover him.

I worked 3rd shift for the better part of my police career. During Field Training, I was introduced to Coast To Coast with Art Bell. I was sad when Art retired and George took over, mostly because Art was just kind of "matter of fact" with the show, letting the guests present their topics and occasionally asking questions to keep the interview going and on track.

George comes across as a "true believer", often interjecting his own beliefs into the interview. He was not as good as Art at keeping guests on topic either.

My real pet peeve with George is the assertion that he makes all the time that "An advanced civilization HAD to have helped the Egyptians build their monuments. Even with modern technology and engineering today, we would have a hard time building these monuments!".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Noory is such a step down from Art. Still throw on some classic Coast to Coast everyonce in a while.