Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kanine posted:

speaking of pareidolia, a lot of people i know who have one-syllable names get annoyed sometimes if they're in a loud/crowded space because they'll occasionally mishear words being said in outside conversations as their name.

Yeah, I can sign on to this. My name is one syllable, based around a diphthong which is commonly used in A LOT of words in my native Norwegian language... and the diphthong sound typically carries better than the softer consonant sounds before and after. It's somewhat annoying, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, the Norwegians didn't come along in numbers until a couple centuries later.

Meanwhile in Scandinavia we have our own cryptids and folklore creatures, not too dissimilar from ones found on the continent or in the British isles but not exactly the same either. Surviving legends of trolls, gnomes and sea serpents can to some degree be traced back all the way to pre-Christian mythology; in the present day they have been largely sanitized and made a lot cuter and more family-friendly than they used to be. Folk traditions die hard and slowly, lots of farmer families will still put out a bowl of porridge for the barn gnome (and if you don't, he will be offended and give your farm animals horrible fatal diseases -- well, few people actually believe that anymore, but they still put out the porridge).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I've read speculation that there's likely a TON of ancient cities waiting to be discovered in sub-saharan Africa, which we haven't looked for previously because of a combination of inaccessible terrain, political difficulties, and good, old-fashioned racism.

Africa is diverse as hell in just about every way, so I have absolutely no problem believing that there could be multiple independent centers of ancient civilization.

Possibly the nature of geography might mean that such cultures were less interconnected with each other than the fertile crescent civilizations, thus operating on a smaller scale, being more vulnerable to collapse for whatever reason and more likely to be lost and forgotten.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

FFT posted:

It was released in 1982. Near 40 years on, it could absolutely use an update.

INWO was an update, a collectible version, came out in the mid-90s. Played it a bit; one memorable win I pulled off involved Elvis returning in a UFO and being proclaimed the Messiah.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

NASA was already Nazis doin space poo poo, no conspiracies needed.

https://youtu.be/TjDEsGZLbio

Ah, I see you are a gentlegoon of culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

nonathlon posted:

History-goons might clarify, but I dimly recall reading a history of the world book where it talked about there being early civilizations (perhaps in Africa) that we know next to nothing about. As in, our ideas of the first civilizations is just the first ones we've been able to identify.
Yah, there's any number of factors that can make a prehistoric civilization obscure. Certain climates are worse than others for preserving stuff, many areas have poor accessibility for archaeologists due to practical or political reasons, etc.