Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Winklebottom posted:

I know it's been brought up before but I really love this might-be-a-fossil monster on a greek vase

I love this, it's really the same thing as ancient astronaut theorists seeing a spaceman in a space suit when a figure in ancient art is wearing armor or has an aura of light around them or whatever. But that thing is very clearly a skull, and seems to have sclerotic rings in its eye sockets. It makes me immediately think of ichthyosaurus and similar old rear end fossil creatures. In the depiction on the vase, it's a skull and not a fleshy creature for a reason. Someone found a big loving skull in some stones and said "holy poo poo, this was a big fucken beast. A Badass killed it!"

and then it was art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Oh yeah I've had this guy floating around on my hard drive forever. Imagine you're camping, and you go out to piss at 2AM. The fire's down to just coals, you're groggily wandering off to nature's toilet, and you notice there's a lot of moths fluttering across your flashlight. That's weird. The fire's out and the lantern wasn't on, so they weren't attracted to the campsite by anything. Then, you realize you can hear many, many tiny little wings making their whisper quiet fwap fwap fwap. You turn the flashlight towards the sound, and see The Moth King.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Quid posted:

Speaking of Weekly World News, they often mocked up cryptid pictures and Bat Boy had to be my favorite.

He wasn't really that good but my grandmom liked the paper too so we laughed about Bat Boy together a lot and I like the memories associated with it,

I have great memories of Weekly World News as well. When I was a kid, my parents would take us camping basically every weekend during the summer. Rain or shine. When it was raining real hard, we kids would basically be holed up in the tent while mom and dad adjusted the tarp, kept the fire going, dug tiny trenches around the tent, and smoked/drank coffee while reading the newspaper out there under the tarp.

In the tent, we had a deck of cards, paper and pencil, picture ID book of North American flora and fauna, and the freshest issue of Weekly World News snagged at the grocery store before we left town to camp. My brothers and I would fight over who got to read it first. We all knew it was goofy fringe science bunk, but it was lovably absurd. My dad would read it too and at breakfast the next day we would all discuss the possibilities and impracticalities of Bat Boy's existence, etc.

My parents never bought it any other time. It was specifically for camping. It has the same nostalgic value to me as making s'mores or catching that one bullfrog at the swimming hole.

The current Weekly World News website is worth a skim, there are a few good ones now and then (like the pygmy Pygmies, who are 6" descendants of WW2 fighter pilots shot down over the jungle). Going through the PDFs of old print copy World Weekly News.... those have a much better ratio of purestrain goofball to "pop culture pun stretched into a whole article"

Are there any worthwhile sites these days for fortean comedy articles? SA front page will have some good series now and then, like Instruction for A Thing or Lambspoke, or that mars colony where really, nothing is wrong! come join us! there is absolutely no proof of an eldritch cult lead by a hippopotamus! we swear!!!

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jun 2, 2020