Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Here's a bit more on the subject of Koko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh, cool. Koko was a case of one of those people who types responses to a family’s question with the finger of their beloved vegetable? I suppose an educated horse doing math with hoof stomps might be a closer fit? Ouija by way of gorilla is at least a novel take. RIP one more half-remembered myth from my youth.

E: whatever you think you saw, it’s always an owl

Yeah Koko is a better case study on a lot of biases in human reasoning, more than a demonstration of cross-species communication.

Koko did nothing wrong. She's a gorilla -- her handlers were charlatans though and somehow convinced A LOT of academics somehow ignore the glaringly obvious bullshit tactics used.

I mean I was a kid, I was convinced it was real science. Looking back through even a brief history would reveal all the cracks, like the fact that NO ONE COULD UNDERSTAND KOKO BUT HER HANDLERS.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Sep 16, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:same:

Ball lightning scares me still, though.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Sep 18, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
we're probably going to get an uptick in bigfoots.

Bears are actually just dog men honestly. They stand up. They lanky, they got dog shaped faces.

Still I get spooked badly over stuff like cryptids that reportedly watch you. A bear smiling in the window would gently caress my world up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ii1aLFfKP8

And for flying rods kid, I used to be scared badly by the though of being struck by ball lightning since the Unsolved Mysteries poo poo had me convinced it would follow me in the house and spontaneously combust me (they had said it could be a cause of THAT, in another episode).

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So wait is ball lightning even real? Because in the mystery shows, they depict it as a calmly floating white orb. I can't find a reliable video or picture of ball lighting.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 27, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah meteorites are hella bright and fuckin fast.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wut?

Holy gently caress your teachers lmao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

He's 8 feet tall, so they could have called him the Van Meter Giant.

He has a horn and leathery wings, so they could have called him the Van Meter Devil.

But no, actually visiting Iowa was the most inexplicable thing about him, so he's The Van Meter Visitor.

A+

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I need you to crystallize that poo poo so I can freebase it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
As a bisexual leftist I should inform people why Ft Detrick was the scene of many crimes against the American people and the world.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How do shows like that even work without commercial breaks to build up the false tension over loving nothing??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FFT posted:

Getting close to Bigfoot makes you sick, and you get better when you go away? There's a large radioactive monster roaming the countryside, run!

Oh gently caress you reminded me, I am requesting any ancient angels = alien poo poo. I was obsessed with that poo poo and I remember reading a book as a kid about how an ancient alien nuke explains Sodom and Gomorrah.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Erghh posted:

Chariots of the Gods

There's also the book The Spaceships of Ezekiel in the 1970s by a NASA engineer

Yes!

... Yesssssss!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DontMockMySmock posted:

Warning: a lot of the ancient aliens stuff is super racist.

Which is more plausible: Black people being smart enough to cut stone into blocks and then stack them in obvious ways OR aliens came to earth and left no direct evidence other than stacked stone blocks? One weird white guy who grew up in the segregation era has an opinion!

I pretty much assume anything is racist. So that's been helpful i guess

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's another book i remember excerpts from that had had a lady wearing a toilet seat and there was an explanation of how it must've been a ceremonial head dress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Facts Magic doesn't care about your feelings beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If someone is resourceful, capable, and making spurious claims they're usually defrauding someone.

If they're uncreative, inept and making spurious claims, they're delusional.

This doesn't preclude idiots defrauding people, but until the past few years, I'd assumed common sense would keep us protected from the wiles of an idiot huckster.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jul 9, 2021