Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

DontMockMySmock posted:

The flood myths thing is way more easily explained by the fact that early civilizations were all in dank river valleys that flood a lot (because that's how you get good soil for agriculture). So floods were common disasters, and it doesn't take much imagination to say "what if there was a really big disaster." It's telling that Egypt doesn't have a big flood myth, because to them, floods weren't disasters, since the Nile flooded regularly.

Oh, poo poo. I have read and listened to nearly everything Graham Hancock has put out on this. I think he is a mix of crank and serious researcher but with zero academic training which hampers him. He does have a convincing argument for the flood myth from the melting of the ice sheets and the spread of a lost civilization. I find some of his ideas sort of credible but other areas of of research are pretty bad. His engagement with Egypt is an example of pretty bad. He completely discredits academic Egyptology from his dealings with Robert Shoch and the idea of a 20,000 year old Sphinx. If you don't know what they hell I am talking about, Shoch is a trained Geologist at BU and has given the green light to the idea that the Sphinx is far older than Egyptology wants is to believe thanks to water wear lines. I believe somebody else in this thread laid out a reason why this is wrong. I have seen the water wear theory, if you call it that, on other formats so it's spreading.

Problem is this: Shoch is a trained Geologist. However if you look him up, he has very little standing with the Geology Department at BU and mostly works with Freshman Orientation and other programs not related to his field. He also has other odd beliefs that chip away at his academic training. I have made this clear many times: A PhD does not insulate you from bullshit. In fact it makes you a bit more susceptible because of the narrow focus and isolation.

Somebody mentioned Men in Black up thread in relation to a podcast. I used to find that poo poo creepy. Then I found Jim Moseley. Moseley was an old-school UFO guy in the '50s until he died in 2012. He published Saucer Smear which was a newsletter dedicated to UFOlogy (pronounced UFoology). He never really stopped believed in UFOs but decided it would be more fun to interact with the UFO community. Him and a friend, Gray Barker, made up the MiB stuff to generate newsletter sales in the 1960s. If you look into many of the cases most of them are fakes designed to up newsletter sales. The MiBs and MJ-12 are the first ones that come to mind. Moseley was a prankster, a jerk and all around hilarious guy. I have a letter from him that I will always treasure, as it's signed.

https://www.amazon.com/Shockingly-C...8016007&sr=8-19

Moseley's book, worth your time.

You used to be able to find back issues of his newsletter Saucer Smear on line for free but some assholes monetized them after he died. You can still Google up the occasional newsletter. Moseley never had internet, which makes his stuff almost quaint.

While none of this stuff is really fringe, I think it shows how hilarious and duplicitous the fringe community can get. No mind for me, I love it. The unknown, the known, the assholes and the pranksters are all fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU