Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
The near side of the Moon is the most observed thing there ever was.

People have been looking at it for as long as there have been people.

It was the first astronomical object viewed through a telescope.

It was the first astronomical object photographed.

With so many people looking at it for so long, people are bound to report some weird stuff.

It’s equally true that with so many people looking at it for so long, we ought to have more consistent descriptions of this weird stuff and way more photographic evidence.

Consider me sceptical.

There are professional astronomers out there who believe in transient lunar phenomena. I don’t say this because I agree with them. I say this because the right people are looking and they have a whole lot of data showing not much other than a big old grey rock.

e: Here are a few sets of photos illustrating how changing illumination of the lunar surface can play tricks on the eyes. Here’s some background from the same site of one of the most famous TLP reports.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Years go by and a search and rescue guy named Les Walker hears the story and becomes kind of obsessed with it. Him and his friend Tom Mahood eventually unravel the mystery but it takes them hundreds and hundreds of hours and they literally put themselves in mortal danger, albeit unintentionally, multiple times.

It’s been a while since I read the story. Remind me of the most dangerous things he did.

There’s that time he got his truck stuck while looking for the crash site of an A-12, which was hilarious, but not one of the more dangerous things he’s done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

He is one of those people who absolutely should be dead but who will never, ever die and you'll meet him in a bar when he's drat near 90 and you'll think he's full of poo poo but everything he says is 100% true

He has experience, but he’s not a young man I don’t know how he can keep rolling the dice in inhospitable places like Joshua Tree NP.

He makes poor decisions on occasion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The trick behind the flying wood is that he threw it, then reversed the video and cut in forwards audio, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm getting some real 737s “DC‐8s without the fans” in space scientology vibes off of those.