Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

My grandparents randomly decided to listen to some station that rebroadcast that for a year or two, including one summer when I was out for a long visit. I was young enough to think that it wouldn't be on the radio if it weren't true, so I spent the summer secretly spooked at alien coverups/chupacabras/etc :ohdear:

yeah i was a young child during the alien/cryptid zeitgeist of the late 80's and early 90's and the thing that terrified me more than anything else was being abducted by aliens

i used to get cold shiver scared whenever the spooky green alien face popped up for the intro to the show sightings. still watched it though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HmgT9pbvI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

oh yeah i had these books. the exact sequence from 2:23 on was something that went straight from my daytime tv watching eyes directly to my sleeping nightmares. there was nothing in the world scarier to me than aliens just showing up around my childhood bed and flying off with me

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
do people still go on about the bermuda triangle now that you can track ships in real time over the internet

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why did I click when I knew what I'd see :sweatdrop:

I have sort of the same visceral reaction to that style of creature face, to the point where I get the heebie-jeebies sometimes if the idea of them pops into my head in the middle of the night, despite my rational mind not believing aliens actually exist in anything like that form, and being pretty doubtful that any extraterrestrial life has actually interacted with earth in any meaningful way. My (totally uninformed, emotion-based) thoughts are that the general face design, the large eyes in particular, might tap into something in our face recognition centers that spooks a lot of peoples' subconscious mind, sort of along the same lines of how vague snake or spider shapes can trigger a phobia like they're linked to a "danger!" warning about some natural predatory threat below the level of conscious thought. Probably complete BS, but that's the feeling I get when I think too much about it and it'd be interesting to find out if anyone has ever analyzed reactions along those lines.

there's this book called They Know Us Better Than We Know Ourselves which is a sociological exploration of alien abduction narratives. the author interviews a bunch of people who claim to have been abducted and, just taking their stories at face value without a concern for if they factually happened or not, tries to understand the common threads and cultural anxieties expressed by abduction narratives

tldr alien abduction is really about people feeling disconnected and, uh, alienated from modern society in which the individual lacks control of their own life in the face of great technological processes they don't understand. the common description of gray aliens has many common traits with infant/child humans but are still a monstrous other, this combined with the regular reporting of bodily invasion and experimentation on humans for sexual/reproductive purposes speaks to a deep fear of loss of control around pregnancy, birth, and raising children

Kanine posted:

so like, what's the general reasoning behind the x-files/cryptid/conspiracy/etc stuff being so popular in the 90s?

i think it's the tail end of new age philosophy as a popular movement getting sour in older age, and then a bunch of media properties jumping on the bandwagon for profit. the 80s were generally an alternative spiritual time but in a darker sense than age of aquarius optimism in the 70s. people wanted mystery and unorthodox narratives and so cryptids, psychics, all that poo poo got popular for a while

kind of like how awareness of globalism and fear of invasion by not-us people in the 2000s eventually turned into zombie invasion narratives (zombies can be terrorists or immigrants, depending) and then everyone decided to cash in on the zombie trend which is pretty played out now

and in the 1970s slashers were the monsters of the day, replacing 1950s monsters (fear of cold war weapons and science) because in the 1970s mass television media reporting and better police investigative techniques let people realize that serial killers exist, and there are a lot of them

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

On the other hand, a compass is as simple as literally tying a rock to a string, and nobody figured it out for thousands of years after they noted these weird rocks.

you don't really need a compass until you start doing travel across the open ocean, and you want to reach a specific spot on the opposite coast