Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Number stations - Just for spies? I assume basically yeah but what do y'all think?

There are apparently some smaller stations in the southeast coast that are likely to be linked to smuggling (presumably drugs). The big ones are/were probably mostly spy stuff though.

I love how strange they sound-- almost otherworldly with the fuzziness of the radio. It's somehow a lot creepier than their relatively prosaic actual use would merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nonathlon posted:

The Lost Cosmonauts is a strange case. The two brothers do genuinely appear to have been technical geniuses who did amazing stuff. So, were they talented and fraudsters or talented and deluded?

Their recordings included things like a heart rate slowing and stopping, which isn't really a thing radio picks up. It's pretty clearly fraud according to anyone with any vague knowledge of the Russian space program. I guess there's some room for someone else fooling the two, but most likely they were faking it all.