Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've been mad all day, I took some really nice pictures of my Milotic on the beach.

(I really like sea serpents, okay)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Entropist posted:

It should be its conspicuously absent evolution. But it'll probably be something more lame than that.

Now appearing in 12 km eggs too!!!!!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Now appearing in 12 km eggs too!!!!!

Ugh. Now with the reduced hatch distance bonus gone, even I'm not looking forward to hatching anything in those loving things. And that's even with me jogging about 6-7km almost every day. With a super incubator, 12km eggs should take 8km to hatch so I'm forced to add extra distance if I want to polish them off in a single run.

With the egg pools being so lovely, I've been sticking to hatching 7km eggs to get as many Galaran Darumakas as I can and getting trade fodder from long distance friends that I can use with my alt and even that's now a pain without the bonus using the free incubator. At this point, my strategy is to hoard 12km eggs and then batch hatch them with a star piece running. As an added bonus, I can do it during the Adventure Sync cash out, my field research reward, and my 7 day catch streak (I managed to get the latter two to fall on Mondays) for even more stardust. The only wrinkle in that plan is that I need to pre-walk the eggs before the Adventure Sync reward becomes available because I'm not good enough to jog 8km within a single half an hour star piece duration. (Really 20-25 minutes since the time when distance gets applied to eggs can be variable and having some buffer time is a good idea considering that distance tracking in the game can be finicky.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh awesome! An event November 1st and 2nd where Alolan Marowaks spawn frequently from incense. That’s perfect since I really want one for Great League...

Oh. Wait. Latin America only?? What the gently caress?

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
They're probably going to do an Alolan Marowak raid day where it knows the move "Shadow Bone" which is a great move (slightly weaker but cheaper Shadow Ball). I hate this idea because I recently got a good stat Alolan Marowak but all new moves have to be event exclusive now to invalidate your current collection :rolleyes:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
They've explicitly said there's going to be A-Wak raid day, and Shadow Bone just got added to the game master, and A-Wak is the only Pokemon that learns Shadow Bone, and basically every raid day they've had in the past has come with an event exclusive move, so yeah, Shadow Bone A-Wak is coming. It's Ghost-Type Drill Run but it has a 20% chance to drop the opponent's defense.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Good news everybody! November research encounters won’t suck, cause it’s Togetic!

I’d love me a ML Togekiss. Beats the hell out of bad dex filler for four weeks. Jigglypuff spotlight hour is kinda neat too!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Please tell me I can get a Cubone during that event to finally get the research completion for Meltan. Been stuck on the catch a Cubone task for months.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

Please tell me I can get a Cubone during that event to finally get the research completion for Meltan. Been stuck on the catch a Cubone task for months.

Maybe, but you definitely will be able to during the Cubone spotlight hour on Nov 3rd at 6 PM your time

Edit: https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/nov2020-events/

quote:

Trainers,

Familiar faces return to raids, new feature updates, and more—read on to learn about what’s happening in the world of Pokémon GO this November.

November Research Breakthrough encounter

From Sunday, November 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, December 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Togetic, the Happiness Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter.

A month of different Raid Bosses in five-star raids!

Look forward to challenging different Raid Bosses in five-star raids throughout November!

From Friday, October 23, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to Thursday, November 5, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Darkrai will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
From Thursday, November 5, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), a familiar Pokémon will be returning to five-star raids.
From Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, November 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
Stay tuned for more details on the featured Raid Boss that’ll be in five-star raids from Tuesday, November 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 30, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)!
Each week in November, there’ll be a Raid Hour event on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. local time featuring that week’s five-star Raid Boss.

Pokémon Spotlight Hours

In the month of November, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!

Tuesday, November 3, 2020: Cubone will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
Tuesday, November 10, 2020: Jigglypuff will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for catching Pokémon.
Tuesday, November 17, 2020: Meowth will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
Tuesday, November 24, 2020: Barboach will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
More exciting events and feature updates

Look forward to a Limited Research event happening on November 28, 2020! The featured Pokémon will be announced at a later date.

Soon, you’ll be able to see more information about the Pokémon you’ve come to know and love! For example, if your Pokémon hatched from an Egg, you’ll see which type of Egg it hatched from. If you caught your Pokémon in an encounter after a raid, you’ll be able to see more details about that raid, such as whether it was an EX Raid or a Mega Raid, or whether you battled in the raid remotely or in person. You’ll also see whether you met your Pokémon in a special encounter, such as in an encounter after GO Battle League win, in a Research Breakthrough encounter, or in a surprise encounter after you take a snapshot. You’ll even be able to see whether you caught your Pokémon during one of our ticketed events, like Pokémon GO Fest! We hope this update lets you and your Pokémon take a stroll down memory lane together and reminisce on the happy memories of your meeting!

We’re also updating when Trainers will receive Special Research lines released in the past so that it is not overwhelming for new Trainers. For example, instead of receiving multiple Special Research lines after completing the A Mythical Discovery Special Research, Trainers will receive them later after they make more progress with the Special Research lines they have. This will not affect any Trainers who have already received all of the past Special Research lines.

There’s much to look forward to in November! Let us know what you’re looking forward to the most on social media by using #PokemonGO.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Cobalion, Verizon, and the other goat, oh boy! I wonder what the "familiar" 5-star is. Maybe Pikachu with two hats?

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 22, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Strangepants posted:

They're probably going to do an Alolan Marowak raid day where it knows the move "Shadow Bone" which is a great move (slightly weaker but cheaper Shadow Ball).

Woah holy poo poo :aaaaa:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Make 10 excellent throws (presumably while your buddy) to evolve G. Farfetch'd

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

X13Fen posted:

Hell yeah!!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Any indication how long this duck is around for?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

X13Fen posted:

Fortunately, I'm finding that G-Fetch is a decent target for getting excellent throws and there's always the Airplane Mode trick to avoid catching anything with bad throws and somewhat conserve Pokeballs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

G Ponyta raids out too, just a one star

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Good news everybody! November research encounters won’t suck, cause it’s Togetic!

I’d love me a ML Togekiss. Beats the hell out of bad dex filler for four weeks. Jigglypuff spotlight hour is kinda neat too!

Oh thank god, now my togekiss can actually have flamethrower instead of just pretending to have flamethrower

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

I caught a shitload of Togetic during Go Fest and somehow managed to never get a good one for any league. Looking forward to getting a 15-14-x or better to his those sweet bulkpoints/breakpoints for ML.

In case anyone is wondering, Sirfetchd has strong potential in all 3 leagues. I wrote out a long post about it but it turns out I had something weird going on in the simulator and I don't feel like starting over.

It's most interesting at Rank 6 in open Great League; putting the hurt on Galarian Stunfisk, Skarmory, Bastiodon, and other dark/rock/steel while doing strong damage to Azumarill (or winning with energy advantage or 2-shield scenario).

It is PvPoke rank 6 in Premier Ultra! It has similar match-ups to machamp but does beat machamp (who is ranked #1 for Premier UL). It's rank 34 compared to Machamp's 25 in Open UL; similar win-loss numbers but I see a fair number common meta pokemon that machamp simply does a better job against.

Could be quite good on the right team in Master Premier since it beats Metagross (with 1 or 2 shields) where the other fighters do not. It can destroy or be destroyed by garchomp depending strongly on baiting / not getting baited. Flips to a loss against gyarados and machamp, flips to a win against conkeldur and swampert compared to Machamp. Looks like it pairs well with Metagross (but so does everything lol), where Metagross is the safe switch, and Togekiss as the lead.

Not likely to be useful in open ML.

Catch them while you can, they are only around for 1 day. Don't bother with Galarian ponyta raids since they will be in 7km eggs soon.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 23, 2020

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Confirmed: G-Farfetch must be your buddy while making excellent throws, but does not have to be walking with you (do not need to feed).

Confirmed: Excellent throws are hard to make.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least it’s not in a row. Now to try and find a wailmer nest

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dr Strangepants posted:

Catch them while you can, they are only around for 1 day. Don't bother with Galarian ponyta raids since they will be in 7km eggs soon.

Yes, maybe with deino hatchrates. Better to just spend a free raidpass and get 1 now then to engage in their lovely lootbox system. It uses the same candy as normal ponyta. So easy enough to do.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I took a break from this game, but came back when I learned G. Farfetch'd was now evolvable.

I have 31 G. Farfetch'd from the last event.

My day has come.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I took a break from this game, but came back when I learned G. Farfetch'd was now evolvable.

I have 31 G. Farfetch'd from the last event.

My day has come.

I hope you like making lots of excellent throws!

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Edward IV posted:

Fortunately, I'm finding that G-Fetch is a decent target for getting excellent throws and there's always the Airplane Mode trick to avoid catching anything with bad throws and somewhat conserve Pokeballs.

This is very true. Without the pressure of a "make five excellent throws in a row" quest, I just went like 6-7 excellents in a row. The last one was on a jumping G-Fetch!

Sir L'Orange now exists

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

T1g4h posted:

I hope you like making lots of excellent throws!

The "make 50 excellent throws" challenge back in July kinda prepared me for this. I hated that drat challenge because it was tedious and the reward was pathetic. Little did I know that the reward would be 17 excellent throws in the last hour. :toot:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Is evolving G-Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd timegated, so if I was to get the 10 excellent throws with one as my buddy right today and evolve it down the line, I could still do it?

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

No time limit. You could make several throws or all 10 and then put him away for later and not lose progress.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Man, I was riding high in Master League Premier a week ago, and now -- with the same team -- I'm losing match after match. I guess only the mega tryhards are still playing in this league, and the margin of error has dropped so much that I just can't hang.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Ah crap, I thought the remote raid pass deal in the store was a 3 pack, not 1; I just wasted a bunch getting my Princess Celestia.

Coffee_Break
Apr 30, 2008

thumper57 posted:

Ah crap, I thought the remote raid pass deal in the store was a 3 pack, not 1; I just wasted a bunch getting my Princess Celestia.
Yes, only one!
Thank you goons for remote raid invites, but drat, is Darkrai impossible to catch?? Excellents and greats with goldnen Razz..nope! Sigh.

You are all the best Poke-Friends! :D

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Coffee_Break posted:

Yes, only one!
Thank you goons for remote raid invites, but drat, is Darkrai impossible to catch?? Excellents and greats with goldnen Razz..nope! Sigh.

You are all the best Poke-Friends! :D

It's definitely a huge pain. Just did two raids with goons, took 27 golden throws to catch one of the two.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Played a little ML Premiere tonight and while I’m still terrible, it was a lot of fun! Had a 4-1 set and a 1-4 set along the way. The 1-4 I lost a couple winnable games due to mistakes, but I think I’m improving a little. I’m running Dragonite/Metagross/Magnezone.

Magnezone owns sooooooooo much. By far the best investment I’ve made yet for PVP.

My Dragonite has the suboptimal move set of Breath/Claw/Draco Meteor instead of Hurricane. I’m under no illusions it’s good, but it’s so much fun when you catch an opponent with a Draco Meteor they’re not expecting. Blew up a Mamoswine that way. If I ever get serious about PVP I’ll probably swap it out for Hurricane but for now it’s fun and really most of the time I’m spamming Dragon Claw anyway.

The big thing I need to practice is how to deal with teams running Swampert. Some games I handle him fine. Others I misjudge when to shield and eat an Earthquake that just wrecks me. On the upside I’m getting better at slipping Earthquakes through in the Metagross mirror.

In short, POGO PVP is super fun. :shobon:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

BGrifter posted:

Played a little ML Premiere tonight and while I’m still terrible, it was a lot of fun! Had a 4-1 set and a 1-4 set along the way. The 1-4 I lost a couple winnable games due to mistakes, but I think I’m improving a little. I’m running Dragonite/Metagross/Magnezone.

Magnezone owns sooooooooo much. By far the best investment I’ve made yet for PVP.

My Dragonite has the suboptimal move set of Breath/Claw/Draco Meteor instead of Hurricane. I’m under no illusions it’s good, but it’s so much fun when you catch an opponent with a Draco Meteor they’re not expecting. Blew up a Mamoswine that way. If I ever get serious about PVP I’ll probably swap it out for Hurricane but for now it’s fun and really most of the time I’m spamming Dragon Claw anyway.

The big thing I need to practice is how to deal with teams running Swampert. Some games I handle him fine. Others I misjudge when to shield and eat an Earthquake that just wrecks me. On the upside I’m getting better at slipping Earthquakes through in the Metagross mirror.

In short, POGO PVP is super fun. :shobon:

Metagross vs Swampert: (assuming this is after first switch)

Straight Earthquake

If they shield, try to get another shield off. Save shields for Magnezone.
If they EQ, good for Dragonite.
If they just Hydro Cannon, they have Sludge Wave, kinda bad for Dragonite.

If they don’t shield, spend shields and farm down.
Switch advantage more important.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wildeyes posted:

Man, I was riding high in Master League Premier a week ago, and now -- with the same team -- I'm losing match after match. I guess only the mega tryhards are still playing in this league, and the margin of error has dropped so much that I just can't hang.

I'm in the same boat. I had bad lead matchup every match I played recently, which means I should change things. Regardless it's just so tedious to play - even though I don't run a safe switch so matches are faster, the time of charge moves takes so drat long half the pvp battle is just waiting on those. I'd rather have it be automatic and give you 1 second to choose shield and be done with it just to speed stuff up.

It made more sense to have slow fights back when I would only get 5 or 10 a day via walking but c'mon, if I have a bad lead matchup I might as well just quit rather than spend 2 minutes in a lost fight.

Also the pool is definitely smaller, I averaged about 60% of wins for my first 2000 matches but this season I'm at 82/164 which is brutal

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
What a good day

I caught a shiny Misdreveous, and then won five in a row to get to rank nine for the first time ever.

Went with a Maxed out Garchomp with Outrage/Sand Tomb, a maxed Metagross with MM and Psychic, and a maxed Shadow Snorlax with Frustration(that will be tmed away come the next event) and Skull bash. No one ever sees skull bash coming.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Shiny Geodude and shiny Shuppet today. drat!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got a shiny shelleder yesterday. May not be good for anything but it's one of the ones I've been really wanting.
They really know how to throw us just enough good poo poo to stick around through the rest.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Used calcy to determine the best moves for my shadow politoed and burned 15 charge tms before I realized earthquake is legacy. Probably worth it since bubble is ranked better than mud shot, but would it last long enough to even use it?

E: it's late and I forgot I asked this question when I first realized it was 100% for great league. Earthquake it is!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, guess what else can be shiny.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lorak posted:

So, guess what else can be shiny.

Oh I know and it’s VERY much on my list.

Costume Gengar owns so much. Instantly made this the best event in the history of POGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I don't see shine