Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Mega shiny Gengar is a thing of beauty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

This looks a lot like you have to walk or something to send Pokémon from Go to Home or you can pay to make it go instantly. It certainly doesn’t look like it will be as easy as connect to the switch and transfer like it was with LGPE. I’m really anticipating that whatever they will do is gonna suck after a years worth of build up.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Huh, neat. Apparently we’re getting two Community Days in November.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1321210078540689408?s=20

I guess Electabuzz CD is interesting so I can make a bunch of Grittys. Flamethrower on Electravire could be interesting?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

GPTribefan posted:

Mega shiny Gengar is a thing of beauty

Change that to Shadow Claw immediately its driving me nuts :supaburn:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Finally got Cliff to show up. Unbelievable.

Why not just make it so the ones you need show up?

Oh right. Niantic.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BGrifter posted:

Huh, neat. Apparently we’re getting two Community Days in November.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1321210078540689408?s=20

I guess Electabuzz CD is interesting so I can make a bunch of Grittys. Flamethrower on Electravire could be interesting?

... Did they get the moves mixed up or are those really both super amazing coverage options and my dumbass just can't process that? :psyduck:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The fact that they’re skipping Magby and Elekid is concerning - hopefully this isn’t setting a precedent where they skip the first stage in future community days...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They just put out a free box with 3 rocket radars and some other stuff to make up for the shiny thing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

T1g4h posted:

... Did they get the moves mixed up or are those really both super amazing coverage options and my dumbass just can't process that? :psyduck:

Super amazing might be a bit much, but yes they get off-type coverage moves. The PVPoke account said Electrivire is unlikely to use Flamethrower over Ice Punch.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Super amazing might be a bit much, but yes they get off-type coverage moves. The PVPoke account said Electrivire is unlikely to use Flamethrower over Ice Punch.

The herd of Mamoswine I run into on Masters Premier would beg to disagree :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Parrotine posted:

The herd of Mamoswine I run into on Masters Premier would beg to disagree :colbert:

I dunno. Swapping Ice Punch for Flamethrower you lose Conkeldurr, Magnezone, Metagross, Snorlax, possibly the tie in the mirror and still lose to Mamoswine by a considerable margin according to PVPoke.

Switching Wild Charge for Flamethrower and keeping Ice Punch costs you Charizard, Conkeldurr, Gyarados, Metagross, Snorlax, Togekiss, Typhlosion so that’s a disaster.

If PVPoke is accurate it looks like you lose a ton of important matchups and don’t even beat Mamo (or anyone else of note) for adding Flamethrower.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Pogo luck is weird. Had Arlo five times in a row, but then in the past four days I've caught two shiny Misdreaveouses, a shiny drifloon, and a shiny yamask.

Shiny cofagrigus is awesome looking.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zaroff posted:

The fact that they’re skipping Magby and Elekid is concerning - hopefully this isn’t setting a precedent where they skip the first stage in future community days...

Like they would jeopardize their lootboxes by putting the babies into the wild.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a little sad I already leveled my perfect magmar

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So.....any reason I haven’t seen a rocket balloon today ?

Edit: closing the app did the trick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ah goddamnit it I keep fighting rocket leaders without checking my eggs first! I've done like 4 this week while having 9/9 eggs already :bang:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Duckman2008 posted:

So.....any reason I haven’t seen a rocket balloon today ?

Edit: closing the app did the trick.

Weirdly I had the same issue at midnight last night in Australia, even after restarting the app, but this morning it worked OK

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Good news: I had my first 5-0 set in PVP today and more importantly a ton of fun with Halloween Cup battles!

Bad news: Oh my goddddddd Azumarill has to go! It’s a total boat anchor on my team and was responsible for many of my losses today.

Just gotta figure out what I have that I can build with an acceptable matchup vs three of Azu, Alolan Marowak, Wigglytuff and Crustle. Qwilfish fits the bill, but I’d have to burn about 30 or so rare candies to level up my 80% one. Venusaur loses the AMarowak matchup but would otherwise be perfect, except I don’t have a CD one. All my Shadow Bellsprouts still have Frustration so that’s out.

Edit: ooh, Vileplume looks very promising!

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 29, 2020

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

BGrifter posted:

Good news: I had my first 5-0 set in PVP today and more importantly a ton of fun with Halloween Cup battles!

Bad news: Oh my goddddddd Azumarill has to go! It’s a total boat anchor on my team and was responsible for many of my losses today.

Just gotta figure out what I have that I can build with an acceptable matchup vs three of Azu, Alolan Marowak, Wigglytuff and Crustle. Qwilfish fits the bill, but I’d have to burn about 30 or so rare candies to level up my 80% one. Venusaur loses the AMarowak matchup but would otherwise be perfect, except I don’t have a CD one. All my Shadow Bellsprouts still have Frustration so that’s out.

Shadow Victreebel only needs Leaf Blade. You rarely hit the move anyway and will be fine with Frustration.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Wigglytuff seems like it's got the bulk, ranked high on some sites, and tanked fine for me albeit I'm only playing it on these newbie ranks. Charm builds energy like garbage but the other fast moves don't seem promising on it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr Tran posted:

Shadow Victreebel only needs Leaf Blade. You rarely hit the move anyway and will be fine with Frustration.

Checked the IVs on my Shadow Bellsprouts and they were downright wretched. Like sub-20% bad.

But I do have a pretty good Shadow Vileplume I could do the same thing with and it’s pretty similar. Compared to one move Shadow Victreebel I’d lose Gengar but gain Whimsicott.

Gonna have to do some more fiddling with PVPoke when it’s not 2:30am. :v:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BGrifter posted:

Qwilfish nests, so you can check thesilphroad or your local discord or facebook group to see if there's a qwilfish nest up.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm using Tentacruel, with A-Muk and Mawile. Keep it in the back as a surprise for Azu, it totally walls it. Unfortunately you only have Hydro Pump as a proper charge move but some people don't shield it! I did see some people running Qwilfish also which is easier but less convincing at its wins.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Got to Rank 9 for the first time :toot:

Constantly won 3+ at rank 8 in the Halloween cup with Obstagoon/Clefable/Azu. Only time I really ran into trouble with that team is if someone had multiple guys with like sludge bomb, otherwise it was always at least close if I didn't win.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn is Shuppet hard-coded to always move 3 seconds into trying to catch one? I remember this being hella annoying during last year's event as well.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dik Hz posted:

Qwilfish nests, so you can check thesilphroad or your local discord or facebook group to see if there's a qwilfish nest up.

I totally forgot nests were a thing! I’m watching local Discord now. Thanks for the reminder.

In unrelated news these “scan a Pokestop” tasks are the worst. Just caught a bus across town and wound up with two actual research tasks and 8+ junk scanning tasks for Pokeballs and Revives instead of encounters.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I totally forgot nests were a thing! I’m watching local Discord now. Thanks for the reminder.

In unrelated news these “scan a Pokestop” tasks are the worst. Just caught a bus across town and wound up with two actual research tasks and 8+ junk scanning tasks for Pokeballs and Revives instead of encounters.

Keep a scan task in your list (they don't take up your max limit of three research) and you won't get them anymore.

That said, has anyone found any good scan task rewards since the first day. On the first day, I got one for a charge TM, a poffin, and a Pokemon encounter that turned out to be a Skarmory. Now it's all worthless poo poo like Pokeballs, revives, and potions. Granted, I'm hurting for the last two but I need them in bulk; not just one or two dinky little thing (even if they're Max Potions and Revives) between doing raids and Rocket battles. It's like Niantic doesn't want people scanning poo poo despite them being an AR company first. Good job, Niantic. :gamefreak:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Edward IV posted:

Keep a scan task in your list (they don't take up your max limit of three research) and you won't get them anymore.

I was soooo happy when I figured this out, I have seeded that knowledge in my discord and fb to great joy from others.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
How do I scan a stop? I have the task but I don't know how to do it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah I love going into raids and none of my taps are registering for combat

This happened with most of the raid attempts I've made over the past few months. Love this broken game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That is great to know. I do most of my stops during my commute and I can't scan them so it's just a waste.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

How do I scan a stop? I have the task but I don't know how to do it

It's crazy how hidden they made it and then didn't give any instructions, but you have to tap on the task (probably a few times) and then it'll switch to ar and get you to wave your camera around

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Edward IV posted:

That said, has anyone found any good scan task rewards since the first day. On the first day, I got one for a charge TM, a poffin, and a Pokemon encounter that turned out to be a Skarmory. Now it's all worthless poo poo like Pokeballs, revives, and potions. Granted, I'm hurting for the last two but I need them in bulk; not just one or two dinky little thing (even if they're Max Potions and Revives) between doing raids and Rocket battles. It's like Niantic doesn't want people scanning poo poo despite them being an AR company first. Good job, Niantic. :gamefreak:

Thank you, this was a very welcome tip..

The rewards for all the ones I’ve been offered (dozens by now) have all been trash. Regular Pokeballs, Great Balls, Revives, Berries. Even if the rewards were good I wouldn’t do them.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Shinjobi posted:

Hell yeah I love going into raids and none of my taps are registering for combat

This happened with most of the raid attempts I've made over the past few months. Love this broken game.

Are you tapping multiple times when you use your pass? It's super loving finicky about that, you have to tap only once on the floating pass after you hit the button to join the lobby. If you accidentally double tap or try to hurry through it it bugs out and you end up unable to actually do anything or contribute to the raid at all.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Edward IV posted:

It was offering me a lure module the first few hours, but since then it's been nothing but regular revives, potions & other trash.

T1g4h posted:

Are you tapping multiple times when you use your pass? It's super loving finicky about that, you have to tap only once on the floating pass after you hit the button to join the lobby. If you accidentally double tap or try to hurry through it it bugs out and you end up unable to actually do anything or contribute to the raid at all.

Yeah, this game can be suuuuuuuper picky about how you interact with it. It drives me up the wall sometimes, I can't even navigate the menus because I held down too long which means it discards the input, or went too fast in a hurry.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Edward IV posted:

But do those scan tasks take up a slot of a free daily research?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

The UI looks like it, but no. I’ve had an AR task saved for over a week that I’ve no intention of completing, and you can still collect 3 non-AR tasks as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Froist posted:

The UI looks like it, but no. I’ve had an AR task saved for over a week that I’ve no intention of completing, and you can still collect 3 non-AR tasks as well.

I'm not sure if we understand each other.
You actually have 4 research slots these days. 3 You can fill yourself by spinning stops. But there's a 4th. If you don't spin stops you now get bonus daily research once a day. They're easy to recognize because they're green. In fact if you don't spin stops for 4 days you will get 4 green tasks over a 4 day period. In addition, if you don't spin stops but have 3 normal research tasks you will also get the 4th green one.
What I'd like to know is if the new AR one (I think it's purple?) takes up that 4th slot so you can't get the green one anymore. And I'm not sure if your reply answers that question.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

You actually have 4 research slots these days. 3 You can fill yourself by spinning stops. But there's a 4th. If you don't spin stops you now get bonus daily research once a day. They're easy to recognize because they're green. In fact if you don't spin stops for 4 days you will get 4 green tasks over a 4 day period. In addition, if you don't spin stops but have 3 normal research tasks you will also get the 4th green one.
What I'd like to know is if the new AR one (I think it's purple?) takes up that 4th slot so you can't get the green one anymore. And I'm not sure if your reply answers that question.

Ah - I do know what you mean but don't know the answer in that case. I tend to throw the daily ones away rather than let them stack up that much, so I've not tried it.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

AR task slot is separate from Daily Task slot, from what I hear on my local Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Nope. You can have up to five research tasks plus the reward encounter stack.