Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Edward Mass posted:

Really? I thought that was in place.

You can get one raid pass per day, and you can hold onto one. So if you get one Tuesday and don’t use it, but blow it Wednesday, the next time on Wednesday you spin a gym you’ll get your Wednesday pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HookShot posted:

It's catch an Aerodactyl, not hatch an Aerodactyl.

Find a win 5 raids quest and you'll get it.

And a side note that also never fails to amuse: It’s catch an aerodactyl, not catch a shiny aerodactyl

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

flatluigi posted:

I think it got debunked

I haven't been "lucky" enough to experience it myself but I've seen more than one person post incredulously about it in both this (well, the old) thread and my local discord.

Now, I'll grant that it's possible that in all those situations it was a hatched shiny egg instead of a quest-caught shiny and they just misunderstood the source of the issue, but good luck actually finding a sane way to test that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

I'm one of those sligthly lesser jerks who got a shiny mewtwo fron their second raid.

I'm one of those slightly greater jerks who got two shiny mewtwos consecutively

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

Darkrai or bring back giratina-o.

Doing that after mewtwo would be a dick move so yeah probably

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Deinos are now out in the wild and not just "in 10km eggs" so keep your eyes on that radar.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
be sure to let us know how your raiding in fat pants goes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Still loving the comparative (pve) meta-irrelevant CDs, they're always way more relaxing than trying to hurry during that last hour to evolve as much as possible

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

Last CD let you evolve mons for 2 hours after the event ended for the special move.

And now you can use +turtwig&4*,3* in the search to quickly find the best mons to evolve after the event

"Meta relevant" CDs for me usually involve a lot of post-event trading high-level, low-IV mon, since inevitably the number of straight catches that are both high-level and high-iv are vanishingly low

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The people complaining vs. fine with it in my local discord seem to be split along the line of "did you get burned by getting a bazillion trapinch out of 10km eggs at some point in the past"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I always thought CP ??? was "higher level than you" or something, weird.

Mewtwo's base catch chance is 2%. That's "I didn't use a berry, threw a straight ball that didn't even hit Nice, and haven't caught a single psychic pokemon before". You can improve that by
- Throwing curves,
- Hitting in the ring when it's tiny,
- Catching 10/50/200 psychic pokemon for bronze/silver/gold "type medals" that increase your catch chance.

Doing all three and using a gold razz berry increases the chance to a whopping 15%.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1175184697565097984

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Willsun posted:

:kiss:

Next, I predict shiny Regice for Christmas.

Nah they'll save shiny regis for next year's bonus rewards again.

Christmas T5 raids will be a shiny Cressalia/Lati@s reprise.

Santa hat eevee for weekly research rewards, no shiny chance.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also really weird they're doing this and not Darkrai or Manaphy or something. Pretty sure no one who raids often, which is the main target audience for EX raids, is asking for SB Mewtwo again. Just plain strange.

I managed to pick up the game for real nearly immediately after SB mewtwo left so I’ve got exactly zero of them. That said, the real answer here is that letting “shiny shadowball mewtwo” be a thing gives even players stocked on OG SB M2s have a reason to do it, and gives them another 3 months of stretch time since they’re always going to be releasing things faster than the mainline game does.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Crosspeice posted:

However since Chandelure is fragile as gently caress, Giratina and later Reshiram will be better options, since glass cannons are only good for short battles where you have multiple of them.

Not only that, but some glass cannons are so flimsy in their matchups that they'll never get a charged attack off, making their DPS numbers patently worthless. Raw DPS numbers in islolation rarely mean much of anything, as Attack Deoxys' perpetual dex-filler status attests to.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SuperKlaus posted:

It's one of those "I don't even see how this helps with the profit motive things" when I roll the dice on getting a prize for walking. I walk a lot > I engage with the game more and as I walk consider buying incubators > I am...not?...encouraged to continue doing so. Niantic!

You say that but there's someone in my local discord that persisted with 500 egg hatches* through this event so obviously it's hitting some wallets effectively enough

*1 shiny regional, Tauros, caught in the wild

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Smiles posted:

im kind of lost on what the end goal is here

End goal varies by person. Pokedex, living dex, shinydex, genderdex, minimum-short-man everything... fwiw I'm one of those goofy grognards with 4 phones that started off as a "I'm going to see if I can set up a local raid map" that didn't pan out, and instead turned into "I'm going to set stuff up so I can 4-account literally anything and then be available for poor sods who get gps drifted/"oops we thought everyone was in"/didn't quite make it to hatch so their day isn't totally hosed because they only had one free raid pass"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HookShot posted:

I did 100% of my possible 7k hatched, reaching daily limits every day, and still only got a shade over 300. 500 7k eggs seems... unlikely.

They run two accounts.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Tried to 6 man a Mewtwo at the airport yesterday and fell short by a small drat sliver. In that moment I definitely understood the desire to really have a beastly PvE lineup of mons. Even if I'd just had 6 Tyranitars instead of 2 we'd have probably beaten it.

Yeah watching people in the discord reporting failures by a hair while I'm at work was extremely :smith:. (Equally eternally frustrating was people assuming "well we've got 5 40s, it'll be no problem, what do you mean the recommended 6 kyogres won't cut it")

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 24, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
One final potential "lol gently caress you" from Niantic: I'm hearing reports that Mewtwo caught after 1pm today reverted to having charged moves other than Psystrike.

The comedy option: Mewtwo during the Oct 8 raid hour may have a laughably crap moveset

The fun option: Mewtwo during the Oct 8 raid hour might have Shadow Ball, especially if you're in NZ :unsmigghh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SuperKlaus posted:

Some guys at a Mewtwo raid were talking about how cool Psystrike + Shadow Ball Mewtwo would be. This was idle theory chat right because both are limited event moves and a Mewtwo can't know both?

Correct, unless Niantic changes something (they won't).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Why the hell would they make a regional with an evolution, and then also make it an uncommon spawn? I haven't seen a single one of these monkeys yet, so what are the odds I'll see one while traveling?

The monkey regionals are also tied to the usual weather/biome stuff, which means everyone in the continental US who doesn’t live close to a lake or coast is SOL when it comes to getting one.

Depending on how you feel about the monkeys, this may be a blessing or a curse.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile in Seattle:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Where are you getting the Seattle map? I'm willing to pay a bit for one so I can finally get a god drat gible.

Add Clarence to the game, cowards

only now remembered I never replied to this— https://ultrapokemap.com/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I need exactly one friend for the tourism day research task

3020 5174 4621

Loser_Rex posted:

Ditto. Sent.

enjoy your probopass

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like it's using the same RDM/RDRM ui, which is starting to honk me off at this point because I still can't find anything still-released that actually does this stuff. Every existing mapping tool got drove underground early this year and I haven't been able to get my hands on anything new since then.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I had one spawn point move a bit, but running the gotcha on my usual walk route is now snagging 40+ mon instead of the previous 20ish so there's obviously a couple more there than there used to be.

If the assumption of a map update is true (and given how many years it's been since the last one), I can only assume this is a precursor to lawsuit-required stop removal and making sure they have better data on what is or isn't someone's house.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Old Swerdlow posted:

Luckily IV’s don’t influence much.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/ivs-and-their-influence/

“Based on the way IVs affect damage output, the difference that 100% IVs make compared to 0% IVs is around 10%, i.e. they will last around 10% longer, deal around 10% more damage, and resist around 10% more damage.”

Rarely are you using a 0% IV Pokémon, and even then how much does 10% extra really matter?

Also given that it’s an egg hatch, iirc the absolute minimum “trash IVs” are gonna be 10-10-10 anyways.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

So is combat power more important than IVs?

In all but the most edge of edge cases (high level PvP or raiding with the bare minimum of accounts possible), yes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

I feel bad for this guy:

https://twitter.com/PokeMasterYuey/status/1177728495956484097

No but like real talk why on earth would they remove spawns when adding new ones instead of just... adding... new ones...

Having experienced similar poo poo with Elite Dangerous and the massive procgen data clusterfuck that is their background simulation, I can nearly guarantee that "removing specific spawns" per se didn't really enter into it (although any place that had court-ordered takedowns, they probably took into account for a lower spawn rate too). They have a world map and a bunch of inputs, including but not limited to "Biome data from OSM", and they just dumped all that into a pot and replaced the old data with the new data, and whatever dice were rolled resulted in whatever this outcome is. If the hearsay of cell network usage heatmaps were involved as well, then things like "this is student housing and everyone went home" / "this is beach area and everyone was vacationing here" / "there was a convention here during the time period this was originaly sampled from and there isn't now" would affect it as well.

Not to like hyper-defend Niantic given the sort of profit margin they're probably pulling in from this game vs. what they could definitely afford to spend more in for customer support, but these specific edge-case issues are the inevitable outcome of working with any sort of massive-scale procedurally generated game (and more reinforces the fact that Niantic needs to come up with a longer-term viable solution for non-urban players, instead of trying to fix hundreds of thousands of individual "this used to be a spawn point and now it isn't" issues).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on Shadow Pokemons?

Basically, from what I've read up on them, the Return charged attack is pretty mediocre, so I wonder if the 20% stardust and 10% candy discounts they get make up for having to unlock a second attack to get them up to snuff.

You can remove return(or frustration) for the low low cost of "a single charged TM"; once they lose return they go back to the normal move pool. I've been going for every Larvitar I can find from rocket stops in the hopes of them bringing Smackdown back this december.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Prop Wash posted:

If you don't have a full team of Tyranitars for raiding, evil Larvitars aren't a bad way to get there, but they don't help much with the candy situation. Or I guess Dratinis if you want TEAM DRAGONITE.

If you don't have a team full of (Bite/Crunch) Tyranitar for raiding then you should be doing Tyranitar raids anyways. The main draws of shadow Larvitar are
- Guaranteed level 25 post-purify, the same level as a weather boosted normal raid
- The purification IV boost effectively means you have a higher chance of getting something good since any shadow 8/8/8 or higher translates to "pretty drat good post-purify"
but the most critical point
- If they do Community Day Replay again, the only way to get Smackdown would be to evolve a Pupitar-- you can't get CD moves using TMs on already-evolved pokemon.

(Shadow Dratini do deserve their own shout-out as well, higher candy costs to evolve than just catching a Dragonite in the wild, but they come pre-weather-boosted which may not be super common depending on your area)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 30, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yeah, maybe my question wasn't well put - I'm mainly interested, if purified pokemon have an advantage over regular ones, or if the cost of getting them a good charged move, whether by unlocking a second one, or by using a TM, is higher than the benefit of the discounts they get.

I haven't been playing long, so I can't gauge how easy or hard TMs are to get.

With the exception of community day (which is the exception rather than the rule), you'll likely need to blow charged TMs on an evolved pokemon to get them to the right moveset anyways. Charged TMs have a decently-high drop rate from Tier 5 raids, with the caveat that "the drop rate is effectively tied to the number of balls you get"-- it's a little complicated but the upshot is if you T5 raid at a gym your team owns, with mostly people from your team, with proper counters to deal a useful amount of damage, you'll be getting a charged TM every 2.3 raids on average. Additionally, if you keep your eyes peeled, Niantic will occasionally have event research that rewards TMs as well.

The extreme TL;DR is there's no reason to necessarily use a purified over a normal pokemon, it's just a slightly different route with slightly different costs (and for some pokemon, getting a specific shadow pokemon is far easier than hunting down an extremely rare spawn; and on top of that, you're far more frequently going to see those pokemon below level 25 than above, which adds to the candy/dust cost). Getting a purified shadow pokemon to level 40, 3rd tier evolution, optimal moveset costs 174,600 stardust, 332 candy, and 1 or more charged TMs; getting a standard level 25 pokemon to the same location costs 194,000 dust, 345 candy, and 0 or more charged TMs. Whether that's worth it to you would primarily depend on what you have in your inventory.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 30, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Drakenel posted:

What exactly does the pokemon shadows in the grass mean? Just that they're randomly around or do I need to turn on the camera feature?

Essentially "around randomly". You can use certain tools to narrow it down but YMMV as far as actual success rates go, since as with many things Niantic puts out it's not "meant" to be exact.

If you're in an area with pokestops that all gets replaced with "here's the pokestop this thing is nearby", which is far more accurate. The grass thing is just the barest of nods to rural players.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Drakenel posted:

I am said rural player, so it's relevant. But thanks. I rarely see them though. (I could do without the 80,000 Sevipers though, bloody hell. They don't even evolve.)

You'll have them for about 10 more minutes, so

The tracking tool is okay but it'll basically immediately mislead you if there's >1 of the pokemon you're hunting nearby and there's no way to tell if that's the case

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a type effectiveness chart that's specific to Pokemon Go and also lists double resistances. Does anyone have a link?

If you mean double as in dual-type-quarter-damage, I've yet to see a chart that conveys that information in a format that's both A. in any way sane, and B. let alone sane to look at on a mobile device. If you've got iOS and Poke Genie, there's a Type Effectiveness menu that lets you plug in dual types "As Defender" and see what damage that hypothetical pokemon would take from what types.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mastershakeman posted:

Are you all sure there's actually a nerf, my normal areas (suburbs of Chicago and downtown Chicago) are the same if not better. The only spots I've seen a change are parking lots or traffic lights which always had a huge number of spawns , presumably due to people's pogo registering as not going too fast

It's not a global nerf, it was just (as far as we can tell) just a re-import of whatever usage-and-map data that was used to generate where spawns should be in the first place. If you were in a highly-populated, high-spawn rate area you were likely completely unaffected, but if you were in an area where "having a bunch of spawn points" was pure chance based on whatever was going on at the time Niantic originally pulled usage data (like, a convention center during convention season, or a dorm during school weeks, or pretty much any place where PoGo was super hot for the first 3 weeks and then the hype died off), then this new re-roll feels like it's custom-geared to gently caress you over because that spurious random "worthy-of-having-a-spawn-point" data point wasn't still occurring.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait so this new event is pay to play?

Whatever event is happening on Nov 2 appears to be real-money-only. What we don't know yet is "what it actually is". This current event (shiny oddish worldwide, stardust week tomorrow) are not.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nth Doctor posted:

Strategic evolution question:
I already have CD Gardevoir and CD Gallade

Into whom should I turn this beautiful boy?

Double-fairy Gardevoir's probably more useful overall imo but that's still comparatively niche-- even with the current raid boss where there's a Dragon type with a potential double-dragon moveset, Tyranitar is still tankier and literally-any-dragon is still more DPS. (Still use my gardevoirs for it for the sake of "putting some mileage on them", but)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Epi Lepi posted:

Any NYC goons in this thread? The last few years Niantic has done Unknown spawns around Comic Con but I'm hearing from my local discord that's not happening this year. My local discord is full of morons so they might be wrong, but I'd like to know if anyone else knows anything.

Niantic confirmed somewhere that they’re not going to do unowns anywhere they don’t have a physical booth/presence at, even if it’s a pokemon-based event. Take it with a grain of salt because niantic, but I wouldn’t plan a road trip out for the sole purpose of unowns (assuming they don’t have a booth at NYCC)