Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I just got an aerodactyl from "win 5 raids" research.

I've got to do that again and hope that it spawns another?

Fudge.

Well, the good news is that currently, “win 5 raids” will always yield an Aerodactyl. The bad news is that some research tasks are harder to find than others, and that one seems to be hard to find. Just keep spinning I guess!

https://thesilphroad.com/research-tasks is the Silph Road list of tasks, and they keep it updated whenever the tasks change. It’s a good website to have bookmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Got Friend Drillbur from my run :toot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

How does this company work the way it does.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I want to hate this because I too got burned by getting a bazillion trapinchen out of 10k eggs, but on the other hand, that's a good shiny.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm going to head out sometime this weekend and check the areas where I updated OSM. It's been quite a while since they last refreshed that data, maybe they pushed an update?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you don't have a full team of Tyranitars for raiding, evil Larvitars aren't a bad way to get there, but they don't help much with the candy situation. Or I guess Dratinis if you want TEAM DRAGONITE.

How's Snorlax with Return, usual caveats about Normal-type damage aside?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Level 40, but stop submissions are unavailable at the moment (at least in Germany). I think it was something about a bug.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It took on average 1-2 months to get a stop approved. Maybe the Ingress players will finally be able to clear the backlog while new submissions are unavailable!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

For me, this change was difficult to call either way. There are some places where there used to be big clusters where there now are not as many spawns. But there are also places that have spawns now that didn't before. A land of contrasts, but overall I'd say a nerf. Also lol pay-to-play event if that's really what's going on

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Shiny Klink via egg :stare: then shiny Makuhitty via research!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVXGrgzbbY

Looks like Niantic is pursuing some unified stop approval kind of thing. Can't sign up for it yet, unless it's already out to triple-platinum Twitter-verified Capital-I Influencers or whatever.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

We got plenty of pinchy boys here in Europe. Not many shinies, but we weren’t going hard on this one.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hooray, Pokestop nominations reopened for Germany :toot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Weedles and Sableyes are now showing up on my nearby as silhouettes :psyduck:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you're in Germany (and maybe other countries?) you can now sign up for their Wayfarer site at https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/

You'll have to take a 10-question test first but after that you can review stop submissions for approval. Kind of fun! I assume there's still some oversight on the program :sweatdrop:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BGrifter posted:

However, none of this matters in the slightest and Gengar is the best Pokemon in the game.

Seriously, raids are just Pokemon gangbangs where the boss melts between 20-30 seconds depending on what everyone picks. Always use Gengar for everything regardless of type. Don’t be one of those knuckleheads who tries to use “numbers” and “strategy” in a children’s phone game.

Enjoy some stylish Gengar wallpaper during this holiday season and laugh at those punk suckas wasting their time raiding for Darkrai instead of celebrating the greatest Pokemon of all time.

I have to say, this might be the most compelling argument I’ve ever seen in this thread.

Oh, the other neat thing about signing up for Wayfarer is that it lets you see the status of your own nominations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wayfarer is pretty fun! At least, it's as fun as crowdsourced geointel for a company associated with Keyhole and Google Maps can be. Also, apparently the reward for being good at Wayfarer (presumably having a lot of reviews that other people sign off on) is that you get to occasionally fast-track your own nominations. So, that's fun too.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 20, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh neat, I approved a stop last week and now it's in the game :toot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Edward IV posted:

For what it's worth, Sneasels actually make a pretty good target with the circle lock trick. Stack a bunch in your research reward queue and then patiently wait for them to attack. The maximum threshold for excellent throws isn't ridiculously small as you would expect for Sneasel's size.

I was able to consistently get hits on my first try while sitting on the can in a Starbucks bathroom. Granted I only did this once so far but that's only because the research is so rare and I got a 96% Golett from that reward so I'm not as great a rush to hunt for more.

Same, up to and including 96%. Sneasels are a great target for excellents and the “catch 5 Gastly or Shuppet” quest is pretty common.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Lol I just had a stop rejected because I took a picture of a mural of a bee and the reviewer thought that I had taken a picture of a live bee. I enjoy adding stops to the game but Wayfarer is exactly like being a low-level employee at the world’s dumbest data entry company.

Hey, wait...

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, weather dipped below freezing here today so Pokemon Go will be in hibernation for the winter months.

They’d be smart to develop more single player stuff you can do indoors to keep people engaged through the winter months.

Good news! Instead of what you said, there's now more rewards for walking 100km in a week :shepface:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vegastar posted:

Yeah, it's just spinning a stop.

It's also spend at minimum 15k dust to purify a bunch of trash, raid 5 times and you get a thousand dust and a couple potions and revives for the trouble.

Absolutely garbage.

I can't possibly think of a more trivial thing to complain about than this.

Also Candela's nemesis Arlo is a total ethics in video game journalism type:

quote:

Candela. After all this time, you still haven’t changed. Tsk. Remember, fire is a fickle thing. When controlled, it provides warmth, but in the wrong hands, it burns. You will regret the day you took what was rightfully mine.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wheany posted:

Did some wayfarer today. Marked a couple of stops as duplicates, approved the rest (or voted for their approval, whatever). Anyway, I saw one problem with the approval process and it's relying on google maps and streetview for checking the placement of the stops. There are a lot of things that are nowhere near a street and that don't really show up on aerial photos either. And the (optional) classification hierarchy feels arbitrary and clunky.

The classification hierarchy is super-clunky, but you can always just type in the sort of thing you think it is from the main screen (hotel, for example) and it'll automatically navigate the 400 nested menus for you. I agree that google maps and streetview are inadequate for stop placement (and Streetview mostly isn't even a thing in Germany) and I see it a lot with signs, monuments and other weird stuff you can find in the woods, but I don't know how else you'd do it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Welcome to Wayfarer, America! Don't screw it up for the rest of us! Also it still takes weeks for things to show up in game, so don't get too antsy. This is Niantic we're talking about.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

What can I expect to add through wayfarer? Can I upgrade the stop at work to a gym? Make a sign outside my house a stop?

Wayfarer doesn't determine stop vs. gym - at least, there's no option to do so on our level. Maybe if you put it in additional remarks, someone up the approval chain can make that determination? I don't think so though, pretty sure it's automatically determined by density/proximity.

As for the sign outside your house... maybe? Signs can be stops, although it specifically rules out "standard" signs (stop signs, one way signs, etc.). You can certainly submit it as a stop and see what happens! Wayfarer isn't where you'd submit it though - you would use Pokemon Go to submit the stop and then others would use Wayfarer to review it (although you can use Wayfarer to view your nominations).

I knew americans were going to ruin it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

How many candy does it take to give Melmetal a second move?

100 candy and 100k dust

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dumb question but is there some trick to getting melmetal? All I can think is walk forever and/or stock up on rare candy

If someone you know has Pokemon Let's Go for the Switch, then you can (through a process which honestly is kind of an asspain) get an item which gives you about 20ish meltans over the course of 30 minutes, and can be recharged once every 3 (?) days.

edit: more of a minor inconvenience than an asspain really, but you do have to pair up your phone with their Switch

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man there's a private cemetery with 3 gyms and some stops forever chasing people off near me. I'm not sure private property matters that much

Private property is about the only thing that Niantic does care about since it got them sued. But a lot of people don't know that they can contact Niantic to get stuff removed, and I don't think anyone's eager to tell them.

A neighborhood common area is totally fine though, I see a ton of new stops popping up because people find a mural or a statue or a couple pieces of playground equipment in the vicinity of apartment complexes.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

I’m annoyed that in Wayfarer if you tag a submission as a duplicate it just skips it instead of letting you decide which one is better.

It’s unclear to me how exactly this works, but tagging something as a duplicate will create a review task where others get to choose which location/picture/title more accurately describes the thing. But yeah, you don’t get any input unless you also happen to see that other review task.

The other problem is that you can’t edit the description. I reviewed a really neat statue the other day and was curious enough to look it up online, at which point I wanted to improve on the lovely description the dude submitted. But I couldn’t :shrug:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Entropist posted:

I've seen some German cities that were reduced to rubble and rebuilt post-war, where almost all the gyms and stops were those power boxes with street art on it, as there was nothing historical or interesting around.

I've submitted my residential complex as a stop which might actually work as it's designed by an architect in an interesting way and the premises are public, but I'm having a hard time coming up with something to fill the s17 cells behind the place. There's a quay, but not much of interest on it. Perhaps I should paint one of the bollards that ships tie their ropes to with a mushroom pattern...

There's really nothing of interest in range of my office either, except a building that already has a gym, but on the wrong side from me. I'd have to be quite creative. Perhaps the bike shed as a transportation feature...

Even in rebuilt German towns there's very often foundation stones, carvings and other markers of the original building's age. One building in particular is now a crappy kid's clothing store, but there's a little sculpture above the door of a pretzel, two lions, and the year 1951. It's a stop now :toot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They’d put a gym there in order to charge people with loitering too

But still probably don’t trespass for a kid’s cartoon game, at least until Niantic manages to figure out how to reward urbex. Do people still urbex?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you don’t have a switch or if you don’t want to get let’s go Pikachu/eevee then try asking at your local discord, or even just on community day. In our local group we tried to make sure that everyone who wanted a meltan box got one. It doesn’t cost anything for the person with the switch.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They appear to have broken searching by star rating in the new version. Just, how.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Are you absolutely sure about this on 5kms because that's a huge deal

The Pansears and Mime Jrs. I keep throwing onto the pyre would seem to indicate that yes, this is the case. Still better than the endless parade of 2k Purrloins.

edit: oh you mean like, can you get a Euro 5k and then go back to the US and still hatch the Mime Jr. No idea on that one

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Adding in rare Gmax variants of existing mons (Snorlax, Machamp et al) seems like a logical extension of the raid system. It would definitely spark interest in raiding again! I don’t think my area formed a single group the whole time Verizon was in rotation.

It’s just that I don’t know how you’d use Gmax in Pogo.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Only if the raid pauses for everyone while we all watch a 10-second cutscene.

e: the raid timer will keep ticking

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Th is is going to sound stupid and insane but I think there should be fewer 5* raids. I think there’d be a bit more collaboration and interest if they were a bit more rare, especially with those dumb deer. They were popping so often that I just sort of started ignoring them and judging by the telegram so did everyone else.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I understand and respect the cultural and historical significance of an Old South town's old slave markets, but... uh... I think I'll just throw these gifts away.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Can’t wait to spend two hours trading machop in order to get the move before CD ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Step 1: Make an alt
Step 2: Catch things that aren't gyrados
Step 3: Use the predisposition of the radar to show "things you haven't caught" to lead you to gyrados to catch on your main.
Step 4: The gyrados are red.

There’s so many magikarps though, seems like you’d get to 400 candy plus a yellow fish faster?

The event isn’t great but I get a chuckle out of Wild Flareons at least!

Edit: is it possible to catch a wild shiny Gyarados? I know there was some speculation that things were weird with evolved versions of Pokémon with shiny chance, but of course that’s a difficult thing to test