Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there any chance whoever's alt is "SAPoGoTraveller" could send me a gift? We've been one interaction away from Ultra for a while, and I've got a few others lined up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

God forbid I'd want to trade pokemon, that would be near impossible to negotiate.

To trade with people you need to be within 100m of them, so basically need to know/be with them in real life. And as with everything else social in this game, you have to rely upon an external communication method to coordinate that.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Seiyal posted:

Is there a good way to tell if someone has stopped playing/removed friends from friends list etc? There's a few friends on my brothers' acct that seem to be pretty much stuck in the 'have sent gift, no gifts incoming' state and I'm not sure how to help them out. I don't want them to delete their friends if it's just an odd glitch or known issue but also don't really have any advice as to how to tell if that's the case either.

Set their nickname to the number of Pokemon they’ve caught (displayed on their profile) and check back in a week or two. If it still matches they’ve probably quit.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

It probably despawned on the map after you tapped it. If that happens, they always run away.

I can say for a fact this isn't true. The other day I rushed across town to catch a Pansage; opened it on one phone but saw it despawn on the other. I still caught it on the first one.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've gone from 2 spawn points at home to about 5, all almost exactly the same radius from my house in a circle. It's pretty funny, like they've been watching my activity and added them specially :tinfoil:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

With the Tourism event on and one of the quests being “Trade Pokemon caught 10,000km apart”, are there any Aus/NZ goons who want to do a gift trade with me and my girlfriend’s UK accounts? That way we can keep the quests stacked and try to get/hatch an egg that’s over the distance to trade.

Me: 0334-3718-4989
Her: 4212-9657-0650

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xiw posted:

I'm in NZ and I've added these as xyxyph.

Thanks! We both got an egg from your gifts, so just have to walk 7km tomorrow..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm level 27 and get Max Potions. Max revives might be level 30 though as I've never had one.

I also struggle heaps with having enough potions to keep my mons healed. I figured it was just Niantic putting up some sort of paywall.

At level 40 I have to cap myself to having 400 max revives and 400 max potions. Everything else gets chucked away for bag space.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

These are the post-change spawns I get in my house, at the end of a small dead-end street. A+ would Niantic again.

Vegastar posted:

They hosed up, it sucks, and I am baffled by changing spawns instead of adding spawns.

It’s far easier to do a “delete all, reimport” than a literal planet-scale merge, if you believe the new data is a reasonable replacement. But they’ve already acknowledged it had a larger impact than they intended and are looking into it..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

I just got my gotcha in the mail, and it caught me a caterpie!

If I play with the game closed though, to make adventure sync work/save the battery, it will not catch things for me, right? I have to have the game open and the screen on?

You don’t need the screen on, but the game does need to be running (can be in the background). It needs re-pairing about every hour and a quarter, but you should get a push notification when it times out. But you also get a push notification for every Pokemon it attempts to catch (whether it works or they flee), and there’s no way to separate these notifications, so you’ll probably end up turning them all off.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Wheany posted:

1 candy away from evolving a melmetal. Took 18 months, but I got there in the end. Eat poo poo Niantic.

Lucky you got a head start, Meltan was released less than 11 months ago for the rest of us.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

i spent nearly 40 minutes trying to remote battle a friend yesterday, and sending a pic of the QR code for them to scan was the only way to get it to work

even that took 3 attempts so...good luck

Apparently you have to scan the QR within 60 seconds, though I’ve not actually tried it either way.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

angrygodofjebus posted:

I put this dude in a gym in the middle of a nature trail no one visits apparently and I just look at this and laugh

The best I’ve had personally is 31 days. Last year I found a gym at the top of a literal mountain in France in summer, and someone had been defending it for something like 300 days. But whenever I was close enough to it I lost network coverage to battle 😞

Edit: found the screenshot

Froist fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 9, 2019

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm currently at 76/300 pokemons and 292/500 items, but I'm probably playing the game wrong.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm a compulsive hoarder when it comes to videogame resources and I'm at 447/550 mon and 593/650 items

I'm at 1940/2000 mons and 1950/2000 items and welp

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Don't forget to always have your trainer wearing a Gengar hat and Gengar backpack so every time you play you go whoa a Gengar!!! Before remembering that's the outfit your guy has on

I've got the new Pikachu onesie and honestly I've tried to catch myself a few times today

Stroop There It Is posted:

looking forward to getting 2 excellent throws in a row and loving up the third one 8000x for the golett task too!!!

It's timed well for us with a Wailmer nest in town, but I've still screwed up the third throw too many times to count

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Niantic also added a new walking reward tier of 100km to the game files, because they're both stupid and wholly disconnected from reality.

I hit 102km last week, and I’m on 40km so far since Monday morning. With a 40 hour desk job and no sex swing.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Vegastar posted:

It's also spend at minimum 15k dust to purify a bunch of trash, raid 5 times and you get a thousand dust and a couple potions and revives for the trouble.

You'll get half of that 15k dust as rewards for doing the 15 rocket battles.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Xinder posted:

These days it’s just whatever i want candy for so that i can play for that tiny chance of getting a candy for feeding it. It’s happened maybe 4 times for me ever?

Vegastar posted:

Also just dump rare poo poo like Gibles and Riolus or out-of-area regionals so you can pump them full of berries for dust and candy.

I've seen people mention this over and over, but isn't it like a 1% chance of getting a candy from feeding berries to a gym? I know about the mechanic but I've never once seen a gym and thought "Oh a Gible, I'll hang around and plough 100 berries into this for a shot at one candy".

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

What can I expect to add through wayfarer? Can I upgrade the stop at work to a gym? Make a sign outside my house a stop?

The way to upgrade an existing stop to a gym is by creating more stops nearby. It's all based on grid cells, which is well described here.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Kinda wish I taught my good meltan a second move before I evolved him into melmetal. Ah well. I wont make the same mistake with Deino!

Deino and Meltan both cost the same for a second move (75 and 100 respectively) whether you teach it them pre- or post-evolution. It’s only the “baby” Pokemon (Pichu, Riolu, Bonsly etc) who are cheaper.

Ask me about my Meltan named “whoops” with a second move that cost me 100k dust.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I'm wondering if I should power my Lucario past 2500. It works great in Team Rocket leader raids but seems to just not have enough bulk to get a 3rd power up punch off. Then again I dont do much PVP anyway...

I'm keeping my Lucario below 2500. I'm not interested in Ultra League right now, but it was costly enough (candy-wise) to get him to that level that I'd rather not get the marginal gain of going slightly over.

Wheany posted:

I have been using a S2 cell overlay to strategically submit new pokestops. Sure, this stop is in the corner of this playfield, but the center of the field is in a cell that already has a stop.

There's no stop in the 16 cells around my house, but at the same time I can't think of anything that's likely to get approved to submit. Would love a stop within range of my house but I'm at the end of a residential cul-de-sac.

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 15, 2019

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

got like 5 2km eggs ready to go so here's hoping.

Bad news: egg contents are decided when you pick them up, not when you hatch them, so those 5 eggs won’t have the CD mon in (except by coincidence).

If you want to maximise it you should focus on hatching all the eggs you currently have and not incubating ones you pick up during the weekend until the old ones are cleared (or at least those 2ks). That way you can stock up on the CD ones to hatch later.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LumpyGumby posted:

Apparently with this friend update three people can get together and take an AR photo of their bodies together in one spot.

:heysexy:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Willsun posted:

Wayfarer nomination approvals are slowing down as expected since the initial surge of interest when it opened up has died off. It used to be like you'd get an approval/rejection within 4 days of submitting one, but now my latest one has gone on 13 days still "In Voting."

I've had two near my house go through in 4 and 5 days a couple of weeks ago. Meanwhile one near my parents' place which I thought was a sure bet (a nature reserve with no portals anywhere nearby) has been in voting for nearly a month. Was really hoping that would get in before I'm back for Christmas..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Did they get rid of 0*,1* etc. Searches?

If by “get rid of” you mean “pull a Niantic”, yeah.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I’ve been doing pretty well (30/35 with a streak of 18) with Jirachi/Deoxys/Giratina. All of them are pretty tanky and can take a lot of the charged attacks. Plus they seem to catch people off-guard who’ve just learned how the top meta picks play against each other. Most of the time people burn both their shields on Jirachi’s first two charged attacks because they don’t know what it’ll do.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

Just did my second woobat and uh it was 13 candies (doubled with pinap for 26 total), is that normal??

Yeah the announcement post mentioned bonus Woobat candies for the research breakthrough.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

iospace posted:

:siren: DOUBLE CHECK YOUR ADVENTURE SYNC SETTINGS, MINE WAS TURNED OFF :siren:

I’ve given up on Adventure Sync on iOS. It’s turned off, and when I try to turn it on it guides me to system settings that don’t exist.

If I delete the app and reinstall it fixes it for a while, but as they’re stored device-side that wipes out all my raid, PvP and Rocket lineups. And the problem still comes back anyway.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I just spent a bunch of dust powering an excadrill for master league and realized I should have bought another charge move for it first :doh:

Unless you mean you've now run out of candy/dust, it wouldn't have been any cheaper to buy the charge move earlier. Only "baby" Pokemon (Pichu, Igglybuff, Riolu etc) get the second move discount.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

the system keeps matching me up against whatever hard-counters my lead.

DizzyBum posted:

I swear the algorithm just loves matching someone up against their hard counters.

You know that if "the algorithm" worked this way, half the time it would match you up against whatever you hard counter, right?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Beating some tryhards’ 4000 CP Dialgia and Mewtwos with my Gardevoir. Feels good.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I’m leading with Gardevoir (Charm/Shadow Ball) and it’s just a little green dragon slayer.

What kind of level are you guys running Gardevoir at - is it any use non-maxed? I have a 96% one at level 34 (2815cp), but it has the CD move so would cost the best part of 200k to max out and give it Shadow Ball.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

you'd think niantic would make it so that the levels wouldn't have the nazi number as a valid CP value, but here we are, me happily finally getting a siesmitoad (with mud shot and sludge bomb, which isn't bad i guess) and then finding out that i either have to have the nazi number or rank this thing up almost to its extreme max to have it near the 2500 tier

Honestly oblivious, what is “the nazi number”? All I’m dragging up with Google is “88”. Why do you have to level it up to 2500 to avoid that?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

1488 is neo-nazi code for "the 14 words" and 88 for HH, Heil Hitler, it's just one of their little ways of trying to hide in plain sight, like how they chant USA to mean Unser Seliger Adolf (Our blessed Adolf)

Huh. My GL Wigglytuff seemed so innocent until now..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

I thought that Thundurus was the 5 star raid boss at the moment, but I saw Cresselia and Registeel in raids today at lunchtime. Is that normal?

It is meant to be Thundurus this month, but Niantic are packing in constant events to keep people hooked and spending money. Those two shouldn’t completely replace Thundurus - there were still a few around this weekend alongside Darkrai - but they share the 5* egg pool.

The Cresselia and Registeel event is for PvP prep before Go League restarts later this week.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

OgreNoah posted:

The legendary shiny that's been stuck on your alt for months because you can't get lucky with it no matter what (I'm looking at you, Cresselia, you rear end.)

Ask me about the shiny Darkrai that my alt got and I didn’t..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Froist posted:

Ask me about the shiny Darkrai that my alt got and I didn’t..

[Darkrai -> Rayquaza edit]

At least you can trade the Ray over. Darkrai is stuck taunting me from the wrong account forever..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kantesu posted:

Cress is solid in both Great (though you have to trade it with someone sub-Best Friends to have a chance of it going low enough; or catch it with a sub-level 20 account) and Ultra. It probably has a harder time in Ultra with the ubiquity of Giratina, but it at least has Aurora Beam and/or Moonblast there to make it not a shutout. Registeel walls it out pretty bad.

As for Great, it does well against Fighters (probably including Deoxys-D), Azu, can beat Altaria if it has Aurora Beam. Venusaur doesn't like it. It does bad against Tanks (Registeel, Steelix, Bastiodon, Probopass) and Skarmory. Ghosts are probably troublesome.

It's probably best used as a Closer, as it has expensive, powerful charge moves, but also Psycho Cut to charge them decently quickly.

Crap, you've just made me realise my Great League Cress has completely the wrong moveset. I've been running it with Confusion/Future Sight/Moonblast, which takes ages to reach charge moves. It still tanks charge attacks from most of the meta though, so has a solid place in my main team (Jirachi/Deoxys-D/Cress).

Also we've been one interaction from best friends for a while; feel free to trigger it whenever suits you.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Apze posted:

I've been having the most success in the current league with Bastiodon, Medicham, Shadow Victreebel, although I may swap Medicham out for Toxicroak.

What movesets are you running on these guys? Do you think the Shadow boost makes a big difference for Victreebel?

I’ve not been playing loads; have a decent ratio with my team but haven’t hit the higher ranks yet so looking for other ideas to swap to when the grind kicks in.

Kantesu posted:

Froist posted:

[...]my main team (Jirachi/Deoxys-D/Cress).
(I'm sort of wondering how well you're doing with 3 Psychic Pokemon on the squad anyhow).

I’m still at a >70% win ratio overall, though it’s not working out as well as pre-season GL which I ended on about 95% with the same team. I guess it just works because of the blind format - it’s an easy team to counter if you know that’s what I’m running, but the majority of matchups don’t. It also helps that all three are reasonably tanky, and using the same team against the meta for so long means you learn what timings can/can't be taken safely.

I also fancy trying a Mawile, but can’t decide which of mine to invest in:

I’ll probably end up going for the lucky one; even though it’s got the worst stat product it’s by far the cheapest option..

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 19, 2020

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

Do you have enough candy? That was more of a limiting factor than the stardust for me. I'd level up the purified one.

I can't tell what your numbers mean.

The numbers are stat product, max CP, stardust cost (not including 2nd move).

I was focusing on the stardust cost but you're right, thanks, candy is the bigger pressure here. I'd heard a lot about Shadow Mawile being a beast, but looking at candy that's just unattainable for me :(
Looks like my best option is actually purifying one of the shadows - it costs 20k more dust but saves me 40 rare candies.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

fralbjabar posted:

This. Ugh, I thought the spawns for the research event were supposed to stay through the 26th? I went haring all over my neighborhood yesterday because I saw a single Pikachu on nearby, and now I've only got 21 electrics left to go...

We're onto a psychic event now, so probably put the quest on the backburner. Also stay inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Parrotine posted:

God drat they need to nerf Ancient Power/Ominous Wind into the ground, it absolutely carries players who would otherwise lose fights outright in many scenarios.

Parrotine posted:

EDIT: I am so sick of the stupid boost from Ominous Wind and Ancient Power, they need to nerf it into the ground

Parrotine posted:

They seriously need to nerf ancient power or ominous wind into the ground, tired of losing matches just cause some lucky SOB got a couple of boosts in a row from spamming that godforsaken move.

Nerf the phrase into the ground. If it happens that often maybe it's a strategy rather than luck?