Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

gregday posted:

IMDb trivia says Danny Glover was considered for Rayden in 1995 and goddamn do I want to see that movie.

Mel Gibson as Johnny Cage, Joe Pesci as Kano, and Chris Rock as Jax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gary Busey as goro

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Gary Busey as goro

Barely need any makeup work

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

All of a sudden everything makes sense.

Even in 1997 every special effects-heavy scene from MK:A felt more like a literal tech demo to show how "it could be done".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It does explain the infamous shot where Baraka gets knocked into a fire pit and it's clearly the shot from earlier when the same thing happens to Rain.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The animality fight between Liu Kang and Shao Kahn was shocking, even in a year when Spawn and Air Force One came out.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Simplex posted:

The animality fight between Liu Kang and Shao Kahn was shocking, even in a year when Spawn and Air Force One came out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
lol remember the bit where Shao Kahn comes home to his father, Shinnok, and just somersaults a bunch for no reason

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

davidspackage posted:

lol remember the bit where Shao Kahn comes home to his father, Shinnok, and just somersaults a bunch for no reason

You know your movie is a turkey when even Reiner Schone, king of direct-to-video horrible sci-fi schlock, can barely keep a straight face through his dialogue.

I remember there was a time for like two years that Annihilation was shown on TNT what felt like every other Saturday night. That was a strange period.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Gary Busey as Baraka

gregday
May 23, 2003

I like the part where SubZero shows up and... flies... in? And then a few minutes later is dangling from a ledge and needs help up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, unfinished CGI wasn't even the main issue with that movie. Workprint or not, it sucks out loud.

I didn't even realize until very recently that Kahn's father was supposed to be Shinnok, because he literally just looks like some dude.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How high were those test audiences?!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Timby posted:

Reiner Schone, king of direct-to-video horrible sci-fi schlock

This labelling is Robert Z'Dar erasure and I will not stand for it.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm concerned by the casting choices in the new Mortal Kombat. If Raiden isn't played by a French Jew with a speech impediment, isn't that both racist and ablest?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was thinking about that. It's probably for the best that Raiden is played by a Japanese martial artist, but I feel like an iconic part of Raiden's character across all of his incarnations is that he's the whitest man who ever lived

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

pospysyl posted:

I was thinking about that. It's probably for the best that Raiden is played by a Japanese martial artist, but I feel like an iconic part of Raiden's character across all of his incarnations is that he's the whitest man who ever lived

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Mx4qELr34

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
The Ancient Egyptians believed that the gods had skin of gold and bones of iron. They were wrong. The gods are all white as hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/collider/status/1372203466937016320?s=21

This almost seems too optimistic (the Inglorious Basterds ref is a stretch) but I’m glad that the movie starts punt on the right foot

Also it just occurred to me that there is an incredibly good chance that Original Character Do Not Steal is actually Scorpion’s son, given that this seems to imply that his wife is frozen but they don’t say anything about the kid. I dunno though, it’s probably still more likely that he’s Bi-Han

edit:

https://twitter.com/hauntedmeg/status/1372237800892993538?s=21

This article is a better description, looks like Scorpion’s older son is dead and Raiden takes the baby, which makes it way more likely that this is true. Honestly 2 Scorpions is way less exciting than 2 Sub-Zeros.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 19, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

quote:

As for the 1995 film’s beloved “Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)” theme song, will we hear it in the new movie? “The answer is yes. What Ben Wallfish, the composer, did is he took the song and did a forensic study on it; a musical deep dive into what builds that song and what’s created, how it got created. Multiple things are going on in that song that he pulled apart and used.

“It becomes a big elevated cinematic score that uses DNA and elements of that song. There are some times it gets quite overt. Other times are quite subtle, like Raiden’s theme is actually a slowed-down version of that song. There’s lots of different ways we’ve used it. I won’t ruin the surprise for you, but the little 90s kid inside you will be very happy by the end of this film.”

This is all I really needed tbh.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
To be fair to Raiden, he constantly consults the Elder Gods because the one time he didn't, Shujinko brought back their nemesis that they had locked away for like a billion years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel a lot about Raiden makes sense when you realise he's basically an intern as far as divinity is concerned.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And he does some amazing intern mistakes that lead to the death of multiple timelines.

The elder gods are dumbasses for keeping him around.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I miss the MK1 Raiden who just joined the tournament for a lark, and if he wins, invites other gods to come and destroy the whole Earth.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Azubah posted:

And he does some amazing intern mistakes that lead to the death of multiple timelines.

The elder gods are dumbasses for keeping him around.
They were all being manipulated by a Titan, who I guess is even more powerful than the Elder Gods? I hope that if this movie kicks off a new franchise, they don't go too far into the cosmic mythos. That part has always seemed silly and completely shifted the narrative away from the fighting tournaments concept that made the story fun. Now instead of martial arts tournaments it's some regular dude vs a literal god in a fistfight, which just shouldn't end any other way than with the normal person as a smear on a temple wall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

sticklefifer posted:

They were all being manipulated by a Titan, who I guess is even more powerful than the Elder Gods? I hope that if this movie kicks off a new franchise, they don't go too far into the cosmic mythos. That part has always seemed silly and completely shifted the narrative away from the fighting tournaments concept that made the story fun. Now instead of martial arts tournaments it's some regular dude vs a literal god in a fistfight, which just shouldn't end any other way than with the normal person as a smear on a temple wall.

Agreed, I love dumb lore like that with all my heart but it doesn't fit for movies lest it becomes Gods All The Way Down, Also Liu Kang.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

A podcast i enjoy did and episode on the first Mortal Kombat and had a bit about Shang Tsung's Island being a holiday resort
https://youtu.be/fHbJqIjoBos

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drint Blasters posted:

A podcast i enjoy did and episode on the first Mortal Kombat and had a bit about Shang Tsung's Island being a holiday resort
https://youtu.be/fHbJqIjoBos

I relistened to both the Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilations episodes of We Hate Movies recently, really good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just thinking the Scorpion's Revenge movie where Johnny Cage still thinks it's a movie set til about halfway through Baraka trying to kill him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Johnny Cage Tropic Thunder would be a pretty good Mortal Kombat movie.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still love the fact that Johnny Cage was the back up chosen one.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My embarrassing Mortal Kombat Annihilation story?

When it came out in theatres, I saw it twice... On the same day.

Being a big Mortal Kombat fan I asked my dad to take me to see it in the morning, then, when arriving home, got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to see it that afternoon. Why not? I thought, and didn't tell him I already saw it that very day.

Now I like to think I was pretty discerning in my movie choices back then. But I recall liking it quite a bit, other than some hokey CGI and killing of Johnny Cage.

To this day I have not watched it again, though I've seen the original several times. After two decades of being told how horrendously bad it was, I'd rather preserve my original alternate universe memory where it was good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Isometric Bacon posted:

My embarrassing Mortal Kombat Annihilation story?

When it came out in theatres, I saw it twice... On the same day.

Being a big Mortal Kombat fan I asked my dad to take me to see it in the morning, then, when arriving home, got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to see it that afternoon. Why not? I thought, and didn't tell him I already saw it that very day.

Now I like to think I was pretty discerning in my movie choices back then. But I recall liking it quite a bit, other than some hokey CGI and killing of Johnny Cage.

To this day I have not watched it again, though I've seen the original several times. After two decades of being told how horrendously bad it was, I'd rather preserve my original alternate universe memory where it was good.

I think about the only way I could enjoy Annihilation today, as a nearly 37-year-old man, is if I were high as gently caress on some of the wildest indica ever grown by humans. There really is nothing redeeming about it. I'm pretty sure you can see James Remar struggling to not break character in most of his scenes, and given the caliber of movies he's starred in for much of his career, that's saying something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

I think about the only way I could enjoy Annihilation today, as a nearly 37-year-old man, is if I were high as gently caress on some of the wildest indica ever grown by humans. There really is nothing redeeming about it. I'm pretty sure you can see James Remar struggling to not break character in most of his scenes, and given the caliber of movies he's starred in for much of his career, that's saying something.

Oh man, James Remar. I first really noticed him as Dexter's dad, as he was fantastic in that role. From then on out I have gone "Oh hey, it's James Remar" a thousand times, and it has been a weird ride because most of those times were for terrible schlock movies, but some were for movies I had already seen and hadn't considered terrible schlock so far.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

He's absolutely a B movie lifer, but in another life, I feel like he could've become a Bruce Campbell type who leveraged that reputation into an odd cult celebrity status. He's definitely one of the more memorable parts of The Warriors. And I have an embarrassing affection for The Quest, which is absolutely an off-brand Bloodsport, but he's fun there, too. I don't mind seeing more James Remar in stuff.

I never realized how goddamn prolific he is, though. He's been in so much stuff.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Xealot posted:

He's absolutely a B movie lifer, but in another life, I feel like he could've become a Bruce Campbell type who leveraged that reputation into an odd cult celebrity status. He's definitely one of the more memorable parts of The Warriors. And I have an embarrassing affection for The Quest, which is absolutely an off-brand Bloodsport, but he's fun there, too. I don't mind seeing more James Remar in stuff.

I never realized how goddamn prolific he is, though. He's been in so much stuff.

I definitely had it the other way around. When I saw him on Dexter I couldn't help but see him as knockoff Raiden.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Superrodan posted:

I definitely had it the other way around. When I saw him on Dexter I couldn't help but see him as knockoff Raiden.

Yeah, Remar always sticks out to me as "hoo boy, you know it's one of those movies." Like, even as a kid, when I saw the 1995 Judge Dredd and he pops up in the block war in the beginning, I knew I was in for something. But he's a genuinely special kind of bad in Mortal Kombat Annihilation. He looks legitimately pained to say, "Shao Kahn is my brother," as though his pancreas is trying to exit his abdominal cavity.

Same with, as I mentioned, Reiner Scheine (Raynor Schone, whatever, he's gone differently credited in a zillion different things). I absolutely adore that guy for giving it his all with all of the terrible poo poo he's done, but that poor guy looks like he's about two steps away from laughing like a fool in every single bit he's in as Shinnok. Like, he had to deliver some real stinkers of lines in Babylon 5, but he's legitimately on the verge of breaking up in Annihilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDTB--eSqw

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Timby posted:

Yeah, Remar always sticks out to me as "hoo boy, you know it's one of those movies." Like, even as a kid, when I saw the 1995 Judge Dredd and he pops up in the block war in the beginning, I knew I was in for something. But he's a genuinely special kind of bad in Mortal Kombat Annihilation. He looks legitimately pained to say, "Shao Kahn is my brother," as though his pancreas is trying to exit his abdominal cavity.

Same with, as I mentioned, Reiner Scheine (Raynor Schone, whatever, he's gone differently credited in a zillion different things). I absolutely adore that guy for giving it his all with all of the terrible poo poo he's done, but that poor guy looks like he's about two steps away from laughing like a fool in every single bit he's in as Shinnok. Like, he had to deliver some real stinkers of lines in Babylon 5, but he's legitimately on the verge of breaking up in Annihilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDTB--eSqw

God, I love that completely superfluous somersault. It's like there was a guy just offscreen screaming "MORE STUNTS" in every scene. :allears:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"You're not gonna like the answer, but you'll love watching me do this flip"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3we3M9fyzY

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

aw man it does my heart good to see cyrax, thats the sole reason i liked annihilation as a kid

this new movie had better have that yellow lad