Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Why didn't they just make Cole like a young scorpion? Why did they seemingly invest so much in making it seem like that was the goal and then do something much lamer? I mean, "I came from hell to kill you" was still badass but maybe just have scorpion possess the useless character instead idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

So far then it seems that, unsurprisingly, the boring character they created to be the protagonist was everyone's least favorite part of the movie.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah hopefully they just learn from their mistakes and put in more of the good and less of the bad in the sequel. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be able to ditch the worst part (Cole) because of how integral they made him. Just focus on another story and cut his screen time in at least half.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Nazzadan posted:

Cole ended up being better than expected but they'd better ditch him ASAP if this turns into a franchise because he is not carrying this series going forward. His arcana was kinda cool at first? Suit that stores kinetic energy and can distribute it/redirect it back was neat. He immediately used it to boost his strength and do cool grappler poo poo against Goro, but then as soon as he gets the tonfas its like they forgot he's a grappler and the kinetic poo poo literally doesn't happen again from that point onward. Extremely stupid choice, just make him able to take a beating and roll around on people how hard is that.

It's literally Black Panther. Except in this movie he doesn't really use it or explain it. Not only did he suck but he wasn't even original.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was really odd if you don't follow MK games and barely remembered the 95 movie. Because you see everything up to his "power reveal" and are dead convinced he's either Scorpion or some character you don't know about because you don't play the games. poo poo even after growing the armor I was like "Okay so he's growing scorpion armor and now he's gonna clap Goro's cheeks soon" but then it was just so much worse. But hey I guess we got a really necessary "You go girl!" moment when Cole's wife decides to join the fight and somehow not get immediately crippled by Goro hitting her like 30 feet away.

Just so dumb. Even for a Mortal Kombat movie.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

My main takeaways are this: this movie blew chunks compared to the 95 one (both sucked, but at least 95 was fun)

I also watched the 95 movie a day later as a reference and yeah it wasn't good. Some real nostalgia goggles going on for a lot of people.

From what I've gathered I'm in the minority on this point in particular: new Scorpion was better. I'm way more down with just a cool blade on a chain or whatever. That animated snake/vine looking poo poo in the 95 that came out of his hands and just chased Johnny Cage around the forest actually made me cringe.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I still can't get over magical robot arms. Like that's so dumb I can't believe someone was paid to come up with that.

Yeah what a lovely extension of an already lovely idea. Having the characters develop "powers" after tapping into some vague personal trait was dumb enough. Metal arms spontaneously growing bigger and more metal-y while lifting a rock was even dumber.

You also knew that was exactly what would happen once you got a feel for how bad a movie it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, it's a real fun movie and holds up fine, I don't get this "actually, it was trash" mentality.

To be fair, it was a lovely movie back then as well. A lot of people were just like, 7 years old when it came out.