Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I clicked reply but am genuinely having difficulty putting into words how hype I am for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like this cast fuckin' rules, I hope they don't get TOO out there with it and just have a lot of good gory fights.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I hope the new Mortal Kombat is just a direct film adaptation of this stage play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PUmBe3xV4o

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...Sanada's a little old for Scorpion, no?

e: Like I don't think Scorp should be a kid or anything, but Sanada's pushing 60. Taslim is like 20 years younger than him and more-or-less in the age group I would have shot for

I'm ready for Uncle Iroh-spitting-fire-all-day-Scorpion dunking on younger Sub-Zero all day and constantly pointing out what a dumbass his older brother was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

peer posted:

but who will play Future Raiden and Future Past Raiden

edit: and Evil Future Raiden

Christopher Lambert should cameo as future Raiden.

EDIT:

hehehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is the Mortal Kombat Legacy series from a few years ago worth tracking down?

A chunk of the first season is on YouTube to get started.

Lurdiak posted:

MK9's story mode was revolutionary because it was the first fighting game since Art of Fighting where you knew 100% what had happened in the story and didn't have to wait until the next game tells you which of the 40 contradictory arcade endings were canon.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They still need to do ONE game that has Jason/Terminator/Leatherface/Freddy/Alien/Predator and a bunch of other movie monsters in it. Like just make this game but from NRS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tmx7aa-HTI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Didn't the first Mortal Kombat game start out as a straight adaptation of Bloodsport before they couldn't get the rights to JCVD's likeness?

I don't think it was going to be an adaptation of Bloodsport specifically but making it a game built officially around JCVD as the main character was definitely a thing early on.

teagone posted:

Oh really?

:rip:

I wonder if that's enough time to write/edit out that Cole character, or make him not a new character.

Mr. Neutron posted:

There has to be some kind of connection between the new guy and Johny Cage, there just has to.

I'm still hoping there's an Ed Boon level trolling where Cole is the fish out of water/exposition character just for the first act of the movie and then Kano or whoever brutally fatalities him and he's never mentioned again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Ludi Lin put a cast picture on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ludi_lin/status/1385023435315634178?s=21

Apparently the mountainous man on the far left is playing Reiko which is funny because I’m pretty sure he was never that huge in the games.

Yeah in the games that character was always very default human looking. Unless they cast a huge dude to follow up on Reiko's MK4 ending at last..........

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't understand why the new guy wasn't just a descendant of Scorpion and so his power would be like flames and teleporting and stuff or would be that like Scorpion's spirit possesses him or something letting him do that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Firstborn posted:

It is somewhat strange that the baby in the intro isn't a character. That's weird to anyone else? Usually in these kind of stories... even with the time period i thought we were in Fantasy Earth Realm (MK definitely has both MMA arenas and leftover sets from Samurai movies in the same time period), and when we got to Cole my brain went, "that's the baby all grown up" because the movie language seemed to imply it.

I just assumed that was the case until Sub-Zero said he killed Scorpion "centuries ago," until then I just figured the itnro scene was them wearing traditional clothes but still in modern times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have also kept it because "looks like some random dude doing wrestling but for some reason he does insane damage with two-three hits" because of some magic/armor/whatever robo thing on his chest they could have teased him as being a different character than Johnny Cage at the end

And it would be an Ed Boon-worthy troll if the main character of the new MK movie turned out to be Hsu Hao at the end, "you were all unhappy about an original character? Don't worry he's from one of the classic games!"

In this way I agree, if they're doing a sequel they need to, like Liu Kang in the Deadly Alliance intro, just have him get steamrolled and killed off in the sequel's intro by whoever the big bads are. Hell if you need to have a main character? Perfect way to have original Sub-Zero's less evil brother, Kuai Liang be the main guy and it can be about how he has to reform the ninja empire to be less evil/etc. (a common plot in a ton of the ninja movies the MK devs had clearly watched when making the older games) and gently caress it they're brothers just have Joe Taslim play the character again but as a face.

Also still mad Kung Lao was done dirty, he was so loving awesome in this, and I liked how much his performance/writing was very classic Shaw Bros. (and his using the hat as a shield/etc. also fit with the ring/pointed shield weapon you see in several of those flicks, like they clearly put effort into making him work) while also fitting 1:1 with voice overs from the games and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 25, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Azubah posted:

Shouldn't Cole's daughter have the dragon mark since she's the most recent descendant?

I know, silly MK movie I shouldn't think too hard about.

Unironically jump the sequel forward a few years and have Cole go mad with power and become the villainous ruler of Outworld, Cole Kahn, and his now grown up daughter can use the fans shown in the training temple to kill him, just never mention the dragon mark again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 25, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

How do you feel about Mad Max Fury Road?

I'd donate multiple organs for a George Miller Mortal Kombat movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I never have paid attention to MK lore or world building so none of this bothered me. If there is deeper poo poo to it, it was never apparent as necessary to me to tick the entertainment boxes.

The lore is different from the arcana stuff in the movie but it's only "deeper" in that there's A LOT more of it due to the large number of games and fighters in them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

He's contracted for, like, 3 more MK movies so that's all but assured.

gently caress yes.

I do hope if they choose to have

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually want Lewis Tan to come back tho. Just not as "Cole Young". He really likes MK and I'm sure he could do a good job if he wasn't saddled with a garbage character.

Literally just have him start out in the sequel as Johnny Cage's stunt double because that's why he went to Hollywood at the end of this movie since he can do crazy stunts now and looks exactly like the famous actor Johnny Cage (since he in this ideal world would coincidentally also be played by Tan). Then have Cole Young get gruesomely fatalitied in a stunt accident that happens because outworld fuckers pop through a portal while filming something or whatever the gently caress. Boom, Lewis Tan is Johnny Cage with Johnny Cage personality instead of Cole Young.

EDIT:

Xenomrph posted:

He's contracted for, like, 3 more MK movies so that's all but assured.

Have him play both Noob and also Sub-Zero's less evil brother.

C'mon WB that's FOUR characters now you can have played by just two actors! $$$$$$$

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 28, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is also on HBO. It has a 2% Rotten Tomatoes score, and is the superior film in every way. This is neither ironic nor a purely relative assessment; it's legitimately fun as gently caress to watch.

It's not an action moment but this is by far my favorite part of the movie and one of my favorite dorky scenes ever in any movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrg2luTZts

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I want a full on Yakuza-like. Give me kombatants playing MK1 as a mini game and sassing each other during play, heartfelt side quests to rescue some Tarkatan kid’s monster puppy, and karaoke to the original soundtrack.

I want this so hard. Remember the Konquest mode in Deception? Like just do that again but on the Dragon Engine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

They also need to have his theme be the song from the Immortals. I'll be mad if we don't see Cage then hear "PREPARE YOURSELF"

Have it kind of lower volume during the build up and then blast the "JOHNNY CAGE IS NOT AFRAID TO DIE!" right as a fight starts.

Honestly even this movie would have been improved 10x if the Chinese Ninja Warrior and Lost Soul Bent on Revenge tracks played during the two Scorpion/Sub-Zero fights.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The United States posted:

I believe the "Reptile" there is actually part of the song? Which is hilarious.

It's unfortunately not but should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-Takf76RY

boop the snoot posted:

Other than some lovely CGI (Reptile and Shao Khan, mostly) then MK95 holds up really well. Even the lovely shrinking effect when Goro paid the price for breaking $500 sunglasses rear end in a top hat.

Something about Goro in MK95 just seems so much better than the new one. Not from a design standpoint but from a story standpoint. MK95 Goro got punched in the balls and kicked off a cliff and lost in a Flawless Victory; but even in light of that Goro in MK95 was just so much more badass.

It's because he was an character in the '95 movie who shows up early and gets built up over a couple of scenes. So even him dying in a stupid way was a good payoff because after the build up and Goro killing Johnny Cage's best friend it fit that Cage deciding he was going to play dirty and get this dude killed ASAP. Goro doesn't have a lot of dialogue but you can tell he's this sort of haughty honorable warrior type and Cage took advantage of that. I love Goro's brief scene with Kano where he's talking poo poo about how awesome he is and Goro's just being thoroughly unimpressed. Stuff like that adds a lot of life to him compared to how in the new one he just sort of shows up and throws people around and then gets gutted.

Goro in the new movie wasn't even a character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

This is more or less what I was also talking about, the first few MK games in the mid/late 90's and the corresponding SF titles: SF2, SF Alpha 1-3, SF3. I've barely interacted with SF4 or SF5, or the Marvel vs. Capcom titles, so I have no clue what those are like now.

I also had a lot of affection for SNK fighters, though. King of Fighters, Fatal Fury/Garou, Samurai Shodown...they were no Street Fighter, but I still liked them.

Weirdly I feel like the Samurai Shodown games hold up incredibly well out of all of them (except KOF of course KOF is eternally fuckin' awesome :hellyeah: ). 2 and 3 in particular are like aesthetic masterpieces, like 2 has some of the most "this background and music is ABSOLUTELY what this character's personality and story are all about on multiple levels you could build an entire game just about this one character and area" amount of focus ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Look he had centuries to learn a few extra words from the other angry revenge ghosts, ok

We need multiple fan films of other ghosts giving Scorpion English lessons to explain this like how there's ones of one of the aaylum employees giving Michael Myers driving lessons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Goro would have made a good enemy for the movie Ninja Turtles.

I still LOL that Goro's entire thing is he's part of the Shokan, a race of half-human, half-dragon people, but even they realized how far away from that he looked or/and totally forgot about that so we got the dragon king Onaga in the PS2 era games. Like if Onaga and a human woman had sex and she had a kid it would be a green person with four arms?

Also Kintaro is also a Shokan but is a four armed tiger dude?

We really need a new MK Deception style Konquest mode so we can see all these realms more fleshed out

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

no one can convince me that this move wouldn't be improved by excising cole and making this a Kung Lao / Liu Kang buddy movie

For real, the guy that played Kung Lao loving ruled and they gave Liu Kang some good background too. Cole's background was "guy who sucks at fighting" lol

For the sequel if they're going to keep Cole just have Lewis Tan also play Johnny Cage but then have one of them die in a stunt gone wrong or something and just have Lewis Tan be full on ego maniac Johnny Cage.