Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really like how non-white that cast is. Hope the actor playing Raiden is practicing his best hehehe though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Kenshi would be my pick.

Or maybe Jade. Depends on how stupid they make the female characters' outfits, and Kitana is conspicuous by her absence on that casting list in the OP.

It'd be odd to have Mileena and not Kitana. Unless the actress is playing both, which would make sense.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I hope Stryker shows up and gets murdered almost immediately.

They might need some jokers to kill off in the tournament, to show fatalities.

Shang Tsung: here are your opponents... Hsu Hao, Dairou and Jarek!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a shot in that trailer where the MK symbol is backwards, but in every other one it’s the the right way.

Noob Saibot konfirmed

alternatively:

mottob fo eht tip

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those look good, but it's high loving time to see something in motion.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I keep thinking characters in MK Annihilation had dragon tattoos that let them travel between realms, and when they died, the tattoos came alive and crawled out of them. Or am I mixing this up with an entirely different movie?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

Kano and Scorpion are good guys now? I havent followed MK lore since MK2 please advise

I guess Kano's going to do an incredibly telegraphed heel turn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

True but that game is butt and I can’t be expected to remember what happened in it

I always wished the ninjas got more time in that movie but I understand why they didn’t. Can you believe that Scorpion is literally not in MK: Annihilation? How do you gently caress up that bad?

I don't blame you for not remembering him being there, it's fuckin' nuts how many characters have only a few seconds' screentime. Smoke, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Rain, Baraka...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The United States posted:

Apparently there were TWO tekken movies???

Oh my god that casting

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was in both of them? I'd check them out if I knew anything about Tekken.

I remember the Dead or Alive movie being entertaining (though not good) as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Quan Chi also enjoys needling Sub-Zero about this, as seen in the documentary Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It does explain the infamous shot where Baraka gets knocked into a fire pit and it's clearly the shot from earlier when the same thing happens to Rain.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
lol remember the bit where Shao Kahn comes home to his father, Shinnok, and just somersaults a bunch for no reason

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I miss the MK1 Raiden who just joined the tournament for a lark, and if he wins, invites other gods to come and destroy the whole Earth.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'll legally change my name to Shinnok just as soon as I sire my two sons, Shao Kahn and Raiden.

When they come home with a bad report card I'll tell them I DO NOT WANT TO REMEMBER YOU THIS WEEK

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah but even in the first game Sonya doesn't seem to be shocked by any of the stuff happening. If I'm remembering the story of MK9 correctly anyway.

She was too distracted by keeping her boobs from exploding out of her jacket

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Outworks tries to invade so we teleport a bunch of nukes there via thunder god.

Was that in any of the MK9 or MKX endings, cause that idea rules.

I was sad to see none of the "Earth becomes the aggressor, Outworld has to defend itself" endings ended up getting used for MK11, and it was just another time fuckery thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Kotal Kahn isn't allowed to have nice things.

Which is a shame, because next to Cassie he's my favorite of the new characters in the modern games.

He's fantastic! It's too bad whoever wrote Aftermath apparently disagreed.

Disagreed with extreme prejudice

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

And he's playing Lou Kane.

Cage acting as Liu Kang in the in-universe movie would be a great parody of the way Hollywood and even earlier MK used to cast white guys in Asian roles.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just sat down to watch it, it was... almost good? The pieces were there and you can tell the love for Mortal Kombat was there too, but it's easy to see a lot of sloppy editing that is probably emblematic of the movie being hosed with, and studio interference. I'll read up on that later, just putting my thoughts down for now.

I'm assuming the reason for the dragon marks and the emphasis on everyone having to 'discover their powers' was studio-mandated to make the film more Marvel-like. That sucked.

Cole Young was incredibly boring and all the Outworld stuff dangerously veered into Power Rangers territory, which reminded me of MK Annihilation. Shang Tsung, a very hard act to follow, was terrible. It was loving weird how the movie built up the concept of Mortal Kombat, the tournament, and then never actually got there. Lots of very weird character pulls too (Nitara, Reiko?) but I guess that's fine when they were mainly there to die. Goro looked great but was totally wasted since the movie never actually got to the tournament. Funny how the first MK Movie did all that so much better.

I liked Liu Kang and Kung Lao, Kano was great and well utilized, Sub-Zero was cool when he wasn't talking, basically the opening and closing of the movie were great and all the stuff inbetween, entertaining but weak. Enjoyed when they suddenly started cutting loose with the gore.

Depressing that MK movies keep going back to the childish "we have to learn to work together" plot instead of just weaving thee individual character stories through each other.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 25, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh, and while I really apreciated that they made Raiden an rear end in a top hat again, the actor's accent was so heavy I had serious difficulty understanding him. I would've been totally cool with him just speaking Japanese and being subtitled.

Though that had its own occasional issues; while the thing in the intro with Bi-han switching between Chinese and Japanese was neat, it doesn't work so well if you can't tell the difference and have to rely on looking at the subtitles for it. Also, since it wasn't established if Cole speaks Japanese, I felt like Scorpion speaking to him kind of fell on deaf ears.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Jarek gets thrown off a cliff :colbert:

Sorry to be a nag but I would like to point out this is brutality

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Netherealm tried hard to chase the Dead or Alive demographic from MK Deadly Alliance on. Remember Li Mei, a pair of swinging jugs with an approximation of a face above them?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AccountSupervisor posted:

Coles corny MK name should be The Wicker Man

Basket Kase

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres so many!

I have only a basic understanding of editing and I was taken out of the movie multiple times by weird, sloppy-looking brief cuts that almost turned into flash frames.

I wonder if Cole being a UFC-ish fighter was part of his studio mandate, like "thing is popular!", even though it barely meant anything past the start. They probably could've told a more compelling story had he lost his bland family early on, gone deep into fighting in order to self destruct, and find new purpose in fighting alongside others in MK.

But really, the audience intro to MK should've just been John Carlton, nicknamed Johnny Cage for his cagefights, an MMA fighter who wants to break into acting, so he tries to sneak a documentary crew onto a boat to a secret kumite (they get left behind, so he films it himself with his cellphone).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

i think the instagrammer angle is great, if you want a jake paul movie. do you want that?

If shoddy set working conditions lead to a bit of an accident while filming one of the fatalities, sure

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Horizon Burning posted:

kano was so perfectly australian that i'm convinced he looked at the script and said that's not how an Australian talks, let me ad-lib it

It's wild to think Kano only became Australian because the actor playing him in the first movie was a Brit who spent his acting career pretending to be Australian.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I hoped for an after-credits scene where the camera pulled back revealing Cage directing the film we just watched since the games established multiple times that this is exactly what he does after the first tournament. Characters constantly rib him for it;
Kabal even has a specific mid-match dialog telling Cage “Ninja Mime 4 sucked!”

poo poo, that's a way better idea, cause then you can make the second movie without needing to adhere to the studio's story beats. "Nahh, Cole Young wasn't really there *rolls eyes* producer's idea..."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you need to give the non-initiated audience context, here's how:

down-to-earth human character: holy poo poo that guy threw a fireball!

character who's sightly more in the know: yup.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's a real fun movie and holds up fine, I don't get this "actually, it was trash" mentality.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If there's one thing I think this movie did right, it was Kung Lao. Right from the weird-rear end teleport intro. If there's a sequel, I hope we get Revenant Kung Lao; I was never a fan of the revenant concept, I just want to see him back.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, only Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa could get away with that. He could've started reading out game menu options and still make them sound cool.

"Mmm... vertical sync... ON."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Studying like photos and videos of real gore to make the in-game stuff is stupid anyway, I don't know what it actually looks like when a torso gets compacted and I don't want to know. Just study like 70s Italian horror movies and try to make the fatalities look like foam and syrup, it's fine!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I rewatched MK95 yesterday and yeah, it's still a really fun movie. Obviously made for kids, and it does Sonya and Kitana dirty as hell (Sonya especially, who is a stereotypical scold, gets like one fight and then gets put in a little dress, stupid hair and chains), but it is a perfect blend of story and fighting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

And let's not forget Rayden hitting that random goon while laughing and then saying "sorry"

Like I said earlier with Sonya vs. Kano, they really knew how to make the best use out of very little. I think that's a great virtue in an artist.

Honorable mention to these hypelords

"YEAH! YEAH! GORO!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Are those Boon and Tobias or did I make that up

I really wish that were true, but Tobias was at least then a super pasty nerd and Boon slightly less so. I do feel like I remember them being in the background in that scene?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Azubah posted:

I'm still holding out hope for another Shaolin Monks.

*Ed Boon dangles a carrot on a stick and cackles*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
One thing Mortal Kombat has no lack of is characters, especially since they all refuse to stay dead.