Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

calling it now: this movie is going to own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alright what's everyone's B-tier characters they want to show up in the sequel?

I am hoping for Cyrax, Human Smoke, Kabal, and Baraka

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I hope Stryker shows up and gets murdered almost immediately.

acab

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The Centaur. Whoever the hell that was.

Motaro.

I'm also hoping for Spawn, Leatherface and Jason Voorhees

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

They should put Chun Li in the movie anyway

also The Joker

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The guy's complicated basically. I understand why they boiled him down to a villain in the original film, because the fire breathing skull ghost being on his own side is a bit much to manage in a 90 minute film with too many characters.

"Scorpion and Sub-Zero... deadliest of enemies, but slaves under my power."

God, Mortal Kombat 1995 rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I always wished the ninjas got more time in that movie but I understand why they didn’t. Can you believe that Scorpion is literally not in MK: Annihilation? How do you gently caress up that bad?

he is, he fights Yung Sub Zero and yells "SUCKERRRRS!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gregday posted:

IMDb trivia says Danny Glover was considered for Rayden in 1995 and goddamn do I want to see that movie.

i'm pretty sure it was an ad-lib but i can vividly picture him doing the Christopher Lambert "heh heh heh.... sorry" thing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drint Blasters posted:

A podcast i enjoy did and episode on the first Mortal Kombat and had a bit about Shang Tsung's Island being a holiday resort
https://youtu.be/fHbJqIjoBos

I relistened to both the Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilations episodes of We Hate Movies recently, really good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't the first Mortal Kombat game start out as a straight adaptation of Bloodsport before they couldn't get the rights to JCVD's likeness?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

opening scene footage is cool, Joe Taslim is a badass

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

G-III posted:

Mortal Kombat 2021 vs Mortal Kombat 1995

MK2021
- Way better Kano

I haven't seen MK2021 but i'm gonna stop you right there: no

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I’m sure I’ll enjoy this Kano but let’s not forget that the whole reason Kano got retroactively made Australian in the first place was because the dude in MK1995 was so good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Fun fact about this: This fight wasn't in the original script and was added after the original cut got a very positive test screening result with some complaints about not enough fights. Robin Shou was the exclusive fight choreographer for it, as well as the Reptile fight. Which is also why they're a lot better than the other fights in the movie.

I've heard this fun fact a million times and I still can't believe it. Apparently the Scorpion/Johnny Cage fight originally just ended with the shadow kick? Unbelievably lame.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty terrible, but what did I expect? Movies are terrible now. That said, i’ll still watch a sequel, why not?

Oh well, we still got Mortal Kombat ‘95.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

One nagging problem that I think illustrates this movie's failure of imagination as well as the common symptom that movies now just kinda suck at selling high-impact moments:

So, opening the movie with the classic fight between Scorpion and Sub-Zero that ends in Scorpion's death. That's great! It's one of the most enduring bits of MK lore and a fun prelude to start things off. I've often thought it would make a great opening scene for a Mortal Kombat movie.

But like... Mortal Kombat is known for its fatalities, right? And since the very first game, one of the most famous ones is Sub-Zero ripping off someone's head with the spine still attached, right? So... why does this fight end with him just stabbing Scorpion in the shoulder? The head-rip would be such a great, huge, bloody moment, a guaranteed audience-reaction-getter, a bit of total fan-service that would still stand on its own as a big dramatic way to slam to the title card with a real sense of "yeah, this is gonna be that kind of Mortal Kombat movie."

fuckin Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero got it, why doesn't this movie get it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mortal Kombat 1995 had an Asian lead who was actually cool and not boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbms1vse9tw

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unironically cooler than Reptile in the new one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is like a stop-motion creature in an old movie. It's very obviously fake but it's also cool as a barometer for CGI at the time, and it's also visually striking.

Yeah the new Reptile looks more real. So what? It's Mortal Kombat!

The new one just looked like the Lizard from the lame Andrew Garfield Spider Man movie. Boring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

Same reason Captain America doesn’t say “Avengers Assemble” until the last 45 minutes of the fourth goddamn Avengers movie - you save everything for the sequel.

This got an involuntary groan out of me because you’re absolutely right

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think if you could handle the gore in MK 2021, you can handle the gore in Scorpion's Revenge, and while I wasn't super crazy about the animation/art style, Scorpion's Revenge definitely has the goods as a Mortal Kombat movie more than MK 2021 does.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

Mortal Kombat non-game media power rankings.

1. All the MK game commercials, especially the one for MK2
2. MK 95 movie
3. Those MK comics you had to get through the arcade machines
4. MK Scorpion's Revenge animated movie
5. MK 2021 movie
6. MKX comic prequel
7. MK Legacy web series
8. MK Rebirth short film
9. MK Conquest live-action show
10. MK Defenders of the Realm cartoon
11. MK Malibu comics
12. MK prequel novel
13. MK Annihilation movie
14. MK Live Tour
15. MK Journey Begins animated movie
16. MK Federation of Martial arts web series

If we are counting your various articles chronicling all of the extratextual MK garbage, I think we should slot them in at #3. Yeoman’s work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are those Boon and Tobias or did I make that up