Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder what they're going to do with Mileena. I can totally see why they went with the scarred face rather than the teeth because doing the teeth all the time would be a big old pain in the rear end. But I do still hope there'll be at least one scene where they go full teethy body horror with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Timby posted:

Yeah, Remar always sticks out to me as "hoo boy, you know it's one of those movies." Like, even as a kid, when I saw the 1995 Judge Dredd and he pops up in the block war in the beginning, I knew I was in for something. But he's a genuinely special kind of bad in Mortal Kombat Annihilation. He looks legitimately pained to say, "Shao Kahn is my brother," as though his pancreas is trying to exit his abdominal cavity.

Same with, as I mentioned, Reiner Scheine (Raynor Schone, whatever, he's gone differently credited in a zillion different things). I absolutely adore that guy for giving it his all with all of the terrible poo poo he's done, but that poor guy looks like he's about two steps away from laughing like a fool in every single bit he's in as Shinnok. Like, he had to deliver some real stinkers of lines in Babylon 5, but he's legitimately on the verge of breaking up in Annihilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDTB--eSqw

God, I love that completely superfluous somersault. It's like there was a guy just offscreen screaming "MORE STUNTS" in every scene. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Bee posted:

I mean, isn't that basically canon, since the alternative is open inter-realm warfare?

I mean, if the elder gods are powerful enough to enforce Mortal Kombat rules, they should also be able to just make a "no inter-realm invasions ever" rule. But evidently they don't feel like it :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Don't think this trailer has been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6VJN_mgp8

Shows a couple additional characters popping up: Kabal and (probably) Smoke.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just saw it a swell, found it pretty solid for what it is, but falling short of its potential. Mostly it just wasted way too much time on exposition (and delivering it in a pretty bland way) an generally people not fighting. Once the movie actually does get its poo poo together and the fighting starts, it picks up immensely. In retrospect it showed just how much the '95 movie was helped by having the likes of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Christoper Lambert along to deliver exposition while being very entertaining to watch at the same time.

In terms of the actual story, it was little surprise that the Cole Young character ended up being pretty superfluous. What did surprise me was how even with the plot written around him, it still felt like Sonya would have made for a much better primary protagonist. She actually knows what's going on, she's invested in it, and she has that internal conflict about not having a mark. Cut out everything to do with Cole, instead start out with her finding out about the tournament and researching it, culminate with capturing Kano, then go from there. Now you got an actually involved and invested protagonist, and you save yourself a bunch of dry exposition in the middle.

Still, overall a good time. Kano was an unexpected delight and stole the show anytime he was on screen.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I haven't seen MK2021 but i'm gonna stop you right there: no

It's true, tho. 2021 Kano had me grinning all the time. Ear... to ear :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 23, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The editing is doubly weird considering it's so unnecessary. Usually they'd do this kind of thing if they have to work around an actor who's not that good at the choreography, as a way to paper over awkward or slow moves. But here they made a point of hiring people who are really good at fight choreography in the first place, so they absolutely could have just let the shots stay steady and long to show off their skills.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

I didn't even hate Cole. He's inoffensive for most of the movie and he's got a cool enough gimmick that I wouldn't mind seeing him as dlc for MK11.

I quite liked the idea of his ability, just wish the visuals were handled better. drat thing looks like just some painted bodysuit rather than an actual piece of armour.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It turns out the oc wasn't written by the guy I read the puff piece of https://twitter.com/doctorpurpleman/status/1383118411325177856?s=19

Yeah, that tracks. Generic outsider everyman main character whose main motivation is angsting about his family is extremely on brand for a studio-mandated addition. Wouldn't be surprised if the same went for the whole arcana stuff because some exec went "I don't understand why he can throw fireballs", though at least we got some actually good scenes out of that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

They should have taken those arcana one step further and gone "yeah they also make you way harder to kill", and then just have people tearing the poo poo out of one another with blood going everywhere. Mileena didn't even get to properly bite anyone!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

well why not posted:

The movie would’ve been elevated by dropping the credits music in when Scorpion showed up, and Skrillex’s Reptile when he showed up. I don’t know why they couldn’t get that Reptile track. It’s custom made for this.

Yeah, the use of music was underwhelming. You do get some of the beats of the theme in the final fight that land decently, but it could've been much better if they'd committed to it more. Screw subtlety, just let the techno run on full blast once the fighting starts.

That reminds me of the leadup to the release of the MK11 game. They kept releasing little character and story teaser trailers, but all of them featured random new music without the original theme. People kept clamouring for them to actually use the theme, but they kept putting it off. Then the launch trailer dropped, and it finally used the theme in full, and to this day it is one of the hypest game trailers I have ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Tonfas are a lame weapon, I'm sorry. The cop is the tonfa guy.

Yeah, the tonfas were dumb. The armour itself actually was a halfway decent idea. It's clearly supernatural, gives Cole a unique strength to lean on, and lends itself well to a certain back-and-forth dynamic in a fight scene. Even better, with his grappling background, even something as mundane as extra strength and durability has the potential for sweet brutalities. Hell, they even use that a little bit when he goes to town on Goro.

Except then they give him these dumbass tonfas and he just immediately goes back to "punchman, but now a little more so". Congratulations, your mystical supernatural arkana is getting the same abilities as a mall cop with a pocket knife and some duct tape.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gatts posted:

If there is a sequel then Johnny Cage needs to split punch more people in the balls

Honestly it should just be this except instead of slapping it's Johnny Cage groinpunching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZvUeAdzeI

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hell, they should just have the announcer lines be spoken by an actual ghostly announcer that nobody ever seems to acknowledge. They did it for the 95 Reptile fight and it was :discourse:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s already family drama in MK going back to MK1 and the brothers Sub Zero *and* Scorpion losing his family. If you want to start with “new” characters an audience doesn’t feel like they need 30 years of game experience to know you have Jacqui and Cassie.

Hell, you've even got Takeda as Scorpion's student/ward/kinda adoptive son. It's such an obvious fit that for the longest time I thought Cole would turn out to be Takeda, but nope just full on Original Character Do Not Steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karl Urban as Johnny Cage certainly is a choice. I'd trust him to somehow pull it off, though.

Personally I was pretty mid on the 2021 movie, mostly because they just spent so much time on the largely uninteresting original character do not steal guy. Still though, they do have enough raw talent to make for fun fight scenes, so cautious optimism it is.

e: Decided to rewatch it while it's still on prime and Kano remains the absolute best part :allears:. Hope they'll keep that tone in mind going forwards.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 26, 2023