Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Studying like photos and videos of real gore to make the in-game stuff is stupid anyway, I don't know what it actually looks like when a torso gets compacted and I don't want to know. Just study like 70s Italian horror movies and try to make the fatalities look like foam and syrup, it's fine!

I don't know if anyone here has read the manga "Chainsaw Man" (it's very much the kind of nonsense that Mortal Kombat fans would appreciate, I suspect) but the creator has talked about this topic.

Basically, he draws people's innards as just piles of intestines in oceans of blood. At one point, someone is shot in the head and what comes out looks more like sausage than any realistic depiction of brain matter. It's an intentional decision to keep the grindhouse gore feel in a magazine ostensibly marketed towards kids without being actually unsettling.

I mean, it's still a manga that has a chapter banned from the American Shonen Jump app due to 18+ content, but it's definitely going for a 70s horror vibe rather than realism in gore, and that helps with a lot of the Evil Dead style slapstick gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU