Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

In MK9 it's established that the Elder God rules on invading realms are actually incredibly weak and easy to rules lawyer, but luckily Raiden kills this continuities' Shao Kahn before he can take another shot and simply not set foot in Earthrealm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

If any movie could use gratuitous CGI blood it'd probably be Mortal Kombat, in my opinion.

Scorpion Dad's hook being improvised from his wife's farming tool is cool as hell and fits the whole "angry revenge ninja" theme perfectly. It doesn't look like Modern Scorpion uses the same kunai which is a bit of a shame.

E: pics so that this is a better snipe

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

if Avatar can do metalbending, why not Jax

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I can't believe loving Z-tier characters like Reiko and Nitara were in it and Johnny Cage and Baraka are saved for a sequel

To be fair Reiko and Nitara are great jobbers because they wont overshadow Sub Zero and literally no one will care if Fake Shao Khan or Succubus get killed gratuitously

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Clearly, that spoiler block was the sucker-punch chip damage.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It was certainly an interesting decision to accrue an entire cast of people who know how to make fake fighting look good, then cut and sweep a lot of the fights like you're dealing with.....not that cast.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I dont want to be too harsh because it's McQuoid's first big film (as far as I can tell), a lot of the problems feel inherent to the script, and there's a lot to like....but he definitely needs to improve on how to shoot and edit fight scenes. There's the confusing and choppy modern way for when you're dealing with 40-50 year old superstars who could never pull out an impressive fight scene, but thats not what you should imitate when you have 20-30 year old athletic fake-fightsmen.

It was smart of them to release that opening scene and tease the Subs vs Scorps fight, because that is definitely the best part of the film and exuded a lot of confidence that the film doesn't really live up to.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Quan Chi impersonated a member of Scorpion's clan and killed a bunch of Lin Kuei, Bi-Han retaliated and killed Hanzo. Shenanigans ensue throughout the entire series, Bi-Han's younger brother becomes a good guy, Scorpion gets his chill back, Bi-Han becomes Noob Saibot. At least I think I remember all that right.

Close enough; the Lin Kuei's grandmaster paid Quan Chi to kill the Shirai Ryu (apparently without the the rest of the Lin Kuei knowing it was Quan Chi impersonating them; Good Guy Sub Zero finds this out via a computer). Scorpion either was killed by Quan-Chi-as-Sub Zero or by Sub-Zero himself, QC resurrected him as the classic angry ghost ninja who wants to murder blue ninjas (until GGSZ makes amends).

At least, thats my understanding of the current lore.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

If you're a conniving weirdo like Shang Tsung are you going to risk waiting another 500 years to get the 10-tourney killstreak reward, or are you going to make sure nothing fucks you up at the finish line

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Just to reiterate, MK's 9/10/11 are not only really fun stories with a lot of content, but the first time the series has had a competent fighting game system (some people dont like how projectile-y pro MK9 is though).

Absolutely recommend playing them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm super frustrated with this film in part because it's 95 million dollar but looks cheap as hell

Was it a 95 million dollar budget or 55 million? The latter is the number I keep seeing elsewhere. If 55 is the correct one then I'd say it looks exactly as cheap as a director's first action feature film at that budget would look.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 55 million budget makes a lot more sense, but it still looks substantially worse than 1995's MK (which had a budget of 32 million, adjusted for inflation).

I was going to say "to be fair Paul W.S Anderson is a pretty decent action director who had a lot of experience under his belt, Simon McQuoid hasnt done anything but commercials before this" but apparently MK95 was Paul's second movie. Huh, that's pretty good.

There's enough to like about MK21 that I hope that the weak sets/set creativity and rough fight editing get smoothed over with experience. The crappy plot issues seem to mainly be a WB mandated thing (shock), and hopefully the unanimously negative/mediocre reception of Cole & the arcana nonsense makes the next gaggle of execs take a more hands-off approach.

It's all on Russo & McQuoid that they opted to make Cole a Shirt Fighter instead of Scorpion 2, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It's hard to write interesting poo poo for something you clearly have no interest in, hence Cole.

Honestly there were two ways off the top of my head that could have made Cole better: make him Stryker (who is the closest thing to "stupid loser everyman" in MK), then have him lose his match and die once he's been used to introduce the audience to the other kombatants (theres no Stryker fans so this would have worked fine). Alternatively, go in on making him the new Scorpion; he gets all the fan pop of being one of the cool revenge ninjas, he has additional interest & more development wrt learning that his family is dead/being killed because of Sub-Zero, and you get to give him something more interesting than "cheat shirt" and "tonfas".

Hell, be weird and do both; Cole "Stryker" Young dies and the Shirai Ryu arkana is that he immediately returns as an angry revenge ghost.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 26, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

For what it's worth, I think you could write some fun stories explaining the MK character powers. This arkana nonsense is not that; it's too vague and generalized to be of any interest, it's just going from "because magic" to "because they unlocked their magic".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I wish we got a full fledged WWE: Immortals game, beyond just a janky phone fighter.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mythologies honestly wouldn't be that awful a game if it didnt have instadeath pits (and a second level built around instadeath pits/moving platforms/wind fuckery). The transition between the platforming and the combat works pretty well (they're both bad mind, but its the badness of MK fighting + their first platformer, rather than from accomodating both).

Shaolin Monks slaps though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I'm more interested in a move towards giving men the same sort of sexual expression as women receive in games (specifically, stop wearing pants at grandpa height to avoid The Devil's Belt), but its still pretty cool to see more variety in the MK women's roster than "floss bikinis" and "the MK ninjas, but sexy".

As far as Sheeva goes, there's some iterations of Goro that feel somewhat fair. I'm not mourning either of them putting on layers though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I didnt grow up with Mortal Kombat, to me Goro is just the midboss/fake final guy working for Shao Khan. He's big and gets super armor, and in MK95 his nards get nuked.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

For anyone who doesnt follow esports shenanigans, this is due to WePlay shacking up with an online betting website. One shady enough to be under investigation in Russia for embezzlement & fraud, at that.

Reply is a fancam for everyone's favorite lesbian Kitana vat-clone

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terminators have red oil/fake blood

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pre-9 MK games were heavily flawed at best and exploitative to the point of being unplayable at worst, it's always sold itself on sheer kontent since at least MK3.

Also yeah, MK9/10/11 obliterate most other fighting games when it comes to singleplayer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I like that the ghost of a 17th century Japanese man who we are explicitly told only understands Japanese also happens to know exactly enough modern English to yell "GET OVER HERE"

Look he had centuries to learn a few extra words from the other angry revenge ghosts, ok