Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wondering if I'm going to recognise the scenery given iirc they're filming in Adelaide. Still hoping there's a Fatality with the Mall's Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I know there's Bo Rai Cho and his whole thing is that he's drunk all the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope a black swan shows up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That really looks like from the era, maybe pre-MCU, when adaptations of video games in particular were still super embarrassed of the source material and tried to just turn them into bog standard action movies with vague, bedgrudging resemblance to the games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

In his first appearance Kano was a mole inside the Special Forces who was secretly working for the bad guys.

This seems a likely throwback. Hell, even makes sense given him and Jax are both cyborgs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough would make sense for her since she's basically a magitech genetically engineered hybrid abomination. (and touchy about it)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zeta Acosta posted:

i dont know if the trailer was badly edited but kano is a good guy now? the hell?

As mentioned above or elsewhere, they're probably going with the tidbit that Kano was originally a mole in the Special Forces. Might actually explain his laser eye for once, if he got it from the same place Jax got his arms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly I don't see why the idea of Chinese ninjas being a thing is that laughable, given there'd certainly be plenty of demand for their services whether as spies and assassins, guerrilla fighters or mystical superpowered mercenary warriors. And how the whole concept is probably as retroactively invented as the honourable samurai anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

X specifically makes fun of this, IIRC. Someone calls Sub-Zero a ninja and he just sighs and explains that ninjas are Japanese, the Lin Kuei are Chinese and thus just assassins, not ninjas.

Actually that makes it way funnier that it's literally just a branding issue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel a lot about Raiden makes sense when you realise he's basically an intern as far as divinity is concerned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just thinking the Scorpion's Revenge movie where Johnny Cage still thinks it's a movie set til about halfway through Baraka trying to kill him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

*cough*FRIENDSHIP*cough*

Friendship?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda get the vibe the elder gods are generally wise but they also disagree on a ton of poo poo, as gods are wont to. The compromise exists because some of them think war is rad, probably.

Or at least love an excuse for interdimensional deathmatches.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that's a good comparison, though I think Cage is actually more competent.

I think it helps that Cage is good at exactly two things: fighting and looking good, and he's aware of his skillset, and that if things are dire enough that he has to step up, he's going to do his damned best not to gently caress it up.

He's also apparently a pretty good dad, or at least became one. I get the impression he and Cassie often have conversations that consist entirely of movie quotes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just realise that Johnny Cage is basically Johnny Bravo if he lived up to his ego.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me wanna watch the Mortal Kombat animated movie again. Sonya actually brings up the idea of just bombing the island but Raiden says apparently modern technology won't necessarily work against magic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and the tournament format has been used before, Edenia being on the losing side, and supposedly the realms merging approach seems to give a major advantage to the winner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kotal's interesting in being basically 'less of an rear end in a top hat Shao Kahn' where he's actually a 'progressive for a Bronze Age god-king' type, which lends itself to some interesting reactions across the board.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Video games, especially big name published ones, tend to imitate popular media of the time rather than pursue their own aesthetics. Like a ton of games aren't subtle about it, see Contra and Metal Gear having official art be obviously traced over movie posters.

Mortal Kombat just especially so since they clearly realised they were onto something with the aesthetic, especially since it differentiated itself from the other big name fighting games of the time enough to attract imitators, and followed up on that and things that fit with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always thought it was fitting how the Street Fighter movie was supposedly based on a G.I. Joe script because they really do have a lot in common.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xealot posted:

I'm guessing it's one of the last two things. If he was Johnny Cage, they'd just have him be Johnny Cage. Why be coy about it? He's one of the most famous characters, that even general audiences know by name.

The Kuai Liang thing lends itself more to a reveal, and one that would require actual explanation of the lore to mean anything to someone who didn't already know.

Both in and out of universe too, given he's generally shown to have a movie career before he's pulled into supernatural bloodsports. And a personality that isn't subtle in the slightest. Again, pretty sure they're leaving Cage out basically because it's hard for him not to steal the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Romero posted:

getting pretty strong “pretty good but the sequel will be the good one” vibes here

Getting Hellboy vibes, though I imagine in this case of the OC do not steal shows up again it'll be to be brutally Fatalitied within the first five minutes and never be mentioned again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Journalism at this point is literally entirely second to third tier failchildren, and it really shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like the Hollywood thing where they just can't understand that you can have cyborgs and soldiers and ninjas and monsters all in the same movie, and so they have to give everything some common source.