Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

They should have just put Liu Kang in the Cole role. It's fine if he's related to Scorpion.

Did we ever get a reason why a Chinese ninja clan wants to wipe out a specific Japanese family? Did Shang Tsung just pay them? Seemed like it was personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Cole could also easily have been replaced by Cage. Make him a B-movie actor at the end of his rope. That would be a totally different personality from the bland sad sack we got.

Cole could also have been replaced by Takeda. The arkana would have made perfect sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Astro7x posted:

It seems like they have this tournament and the bad guys have to win 10 of them for some reason. But they also cheat by coming to earth and just killing off the competitors before the tournament.
It's something I don't understand about the MK lore. Outworld has to win 10 tournaments in a row to conquer Earthrealm. If Earthrealm wins 10 tournaments in a row, do they win anything? Anyway, they threw out the tournament format in MK3 when Shao Kahn decided to just invade. I don't know why he couldn't have done that before.

quote:

That’s the weird thing. Winning the tournament to save earth wasn’t even a concern for the good guys. Their whole motivation was “you’re being hunted, kill them before they kill you”
Yeah, the plot of this movie is just stopping the baddies from assassinating Earth's fighters before the tournament even begins. The MCU was very successful at conditioning audiences to buy movies that don't actually function as self-contained stories, with the promise that the next movie will make sense of everything.

I enjoyed the movie. I was just watching it for the action sequences. They could have easily written out this character that nobody likes, is all I'm saying

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

You’re absolutely right about Takeda though, I don’t know why they wouldn’t just use that name and history.

well why not posted:

I think the choice to have an asian-led MK movie is very solid, the execution was just a bit goofy. I don't know why he couldn't have just been Johnny Cage. Again, vaguely familiar with the games, but is the Cage character defined in any way that would preclude him from being played by Tan?
I'm certain that the studio mandated the protagonist have a generic white guy name, which is why Takeda's out. But there's no reason he couldn't have played Johnny Cage unless Tam just wasn't up to it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 26, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

MK9, while pretty fun, still kind of requires some knowledge of Armageddon, has the same general beats as 1-3, was already semi-retconned anyway, and its aesthetic and graphics haven't aged well (2011 giant rack Sonya is especially cringe design).
Sonya's design isn't embarrassing because she has big breasts, it's embarrassing because her thong is spirit-gummed to her hips

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Until MK4, Sonya just looked like an aerobics instructor with a body count.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

I prefer the Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm solution where Reptile appears to be a Green Ninja until he takes his mask off and reveals that he's an Acid Lizard Ninja. I would also like Sister Machine Gun to appear on the soundtrack again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

The arkana stuff is weird because they're saying that Mortal Kombatants are a combination of Jedi, X-Men, and Highlanders.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

It's also always flim-flam. The MCU ended with movies full of loose ends, unanswered questions, and a bunch of time-travel nonsense for good measure, just as a gently caress-you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Tonfas are a lame weapon, I'm sorry. The cop is the tonfa guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

The point of the arcana is so they don't have to specifically explain why each character has super powers. I would say they probably spent less time on the arkana than they would on the bare minimum to rationalize Jax's arms and Kano's eye and so on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Playing devil's advocate, a lot of people don't really know anything about Mortal Kombat besides that it was a gory fighting game with a kitchen-sink setting. Looking at superhero movies as a model, the MCU at least explained that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver got their powers from some Hydra experiment and Klaue got his cybernetics from a Wakandan connection. Suicide Squad was mocked for going "Oh by the way, this is Katana, she has a magic soul-eating sword."

The whole thing would be easily dispensed with if Sonya, Jax, and Cole were part of the same military Weird poo poo Investigation Squad from the beginning. It also depends on whether you actually want to show Jax losing his arms in the first place or not. Like, Kabal just says "Kano's the reason I live in an iron lung" and that's all you need.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

The only interesting thing about the arkana is that you can get them from murder, which is very appropriate for Mortal Kombat.

(It also explains why these specific people are being targeted without necessarily knowing why, but that's not necessary. If fate hadn't chosen them Raiden would have.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

I would like it if they didn't give a gently caress, Nightmare On Elm Street style, and killed off a guy who survived the first movie in the first 5 minutes of the sequel

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Spider-Man should have just said he got his powers from a monkey from space or something. People like monkeys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

I'm sorry, but while the 95 movie is better written, fight choreography in American mid budget action movies has come a long way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Scorpion's Revenge was a lot of fun and also better written than MK2021.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think Lucha Underground should be considered an honorary Mortal Kombat work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Given that they didn't put Mileena in a C-string, I'm hoping that Kitana and Jade and so on won't be wearing ninja lingerie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Jade’s default costumes in MK11 are pretty great.
It's perversely impressive that, in a game full of scantily clad lady ninjas, they managed to make one whose gimmick is specifically "exotic Oriental stripper."

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Derp, I was looking at MK9 again.

Rainbow Knight posted:

next movie is going to have sheeva doing nothing but stomping on people
MK11 Sheeva is definitely going for the Bowsette fans

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

That's exactly who he is. You don't need to know anything else about Goro. He's the reigning champion of Mortal Kombat and killed generations of Shaolin monks until a B-movie actor punched his balls.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I'm more interested in a move towards giving men the same sort of sexual expression as women receive in games (specifically, stop wearing pants at grandpa height to avoid The Devil's Belt), but its still pretty cool to see more variety in the MK women's roster than "floss bikinis" and "the MK ninjas, but sexy".
Normally, I would be 100% in favour of that. Make everyone in Tekken get their dick out so Jun and Hwoarang can gently caress already. But Mortal Kombat is a game where the highlight is like disemboweling your enemy and putting their head on a stick, so it would get into weird gore fetish territory.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

I enjoyed them when they were just doing more graphic versions of the "classic" fatalities. Scorpion burns a guy, Sub Zero shatters a guy. But they had to keep upping the ante, so by MK11 practically all of them have to end with a corpse exploding in a shower of organs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 3, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

My go-to example for that kind of thing is how the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon show had a body horror episode where Sonic meets his uncle, who was turned into a cyborg.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

The new games don't quite do the same thing as the old Brutalities--where you punch someone until they explode in a shower of body parts that reveals they somehow had four skulls and six ribcages inside of them--but there is a pretty ridiculous amount of blood.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

The Street Fighter games flat out have better animation than Mortal Kombat, with unique character designs that perform the same basic moves differently. The MK games have a shoddy, exploitation film feel that some people actually prefer.

I don't know for sure, but if the Elsa Spiderman Toilet channels are any indication, these videos are made by an algorithm and whatever succeeds, succeeds. If I'm right, the issue is not so much that some pervert made an "All Fatalities on Sonya in Her Skimpiest Costume" video, but that there was way more demand for that than for the "All Fatalities On Robocop" video.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 4, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Roth posted:

I like Netherrealm's fighting games because they have a ton of single player stuff to do.

Also I don't like Street Fighter's art style in 4/5. I think it looks just plain ugly.
I really should have specified that I only mean games from the 16-bit era, where SF characters had unique techniques for every button press, while all the MK characters used the same moves. The difference between MK 2-3 and Super Street Fighter is pretty stark.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

I understand casting during the pandemic is a pain, but it's a stark contrast to the lush adventure-film setting of the 1995 film, with a tropical island full of extras.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

They should just do an open world MMO
No.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

gently caress yeah. I want parents screaming about how their kids are walking around with goggles on, pretending they're holding a still-beating heart and spiking it on an icicle like it's a receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Are there any VR fighting games? The only first-person tournament fighter I can think of was for the Atari Jaguar.