Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The middle of the movie really loving dragged. And the dialogue was painfully bad. But I still had a really good time.

Kano getting knocked down by sweep kick after sweep kick was a really funny reference to the game. Literal laugh out loud moment. A+++.

Original Scorpion showing up at the end was a real "gently caress yes" moment, and that whole final fight was great.

I'm hoping this movie does well enough that we A) get a sequel and B) they cast someone of note as Johnny Cage. I don't really need a bunch of celebrities in my movies, but it felt weird here being like, "Oh, uh, I guess Shang Tsung was played by that dude from The Dark Knight" and that being literally the only person I recognized. Minor complaint, but since Cage is a movie star, it would be cool to cast literally anyone of note in that role.

And yeah, Kano was great. Which I wasn't expecting.

Anyway, as someone said above, it's not good, but it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

Joe Taslim and Hiroyuki Sanada are both cool, you should check some stuff they've been in.

Oh right, I've seen Hiroyuki Sanada in Westworld and The Wolverine, I guess.

Joe Taslim, however, seems to have a really small IMDB page. I've seen F&F6, but I couldn't tell you who he was in that (those movies run together and have massive casts), and, while I know I should have at this point, and this is on me, I still haven't gotten around to seeing the Raid movies, so I haven't seen The Raid: Redemption that he's in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gavok posted:

Only if the same Kombat Pack includes Art Lean from the first MK movie.

Oh, Art. You were too good for this world.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NowonSA posted:

MK95 Kano is one of the better parts of that movie. MK2021 Kano is so good he completely steals the movie and all I ever wanted was to see more of this character who was giving the most interesting performance in the movie by a metric ton (with only Scorpion in the intro coming remotely close).

I seriously can't think of a better example of one character completely outshining the rest of the cast and the movie in general that they're in than Kano does here. Ironically enough since it's also based on a fighting game, one lesser example that immediately comes to mind of that happening is Raul Julia in Street Fighter, but goddamn I felt like Josh Lawson did it so much more than Raul Julia did.

For the sequel give way more characters that fun Kano-style energy, bring Kano back with the same actor, and bring in Johnny Cage as douchey hollywood Kano and I don't see how you can go wrong. I give a lot of the "Kano Rocks" credit to the actor, but some of that is definitely the writing/directing as well, so I hope they take that into account more in what I, as an MK fan, hope are many sequels.

Sold.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Not to mention Cary Tagawa as Shang Tsung. They also released a skin pack with MK 95 skins
for Johnny Cage/Sonia Blade/Raiden including bringing back those actors to voice their lines so you can legit have Christopher Lambert fight Robocop.

I'm sorry, what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzjB4xk5Qs

I have to go. I have to...buy some things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Sonya's design isn't embarrassing because she has big breasts, it's embarrassing because her thong is spirit-gummed to her hips

Also the fact that she's only wearing a vest that barely contains her chest with no shirt underneath. Not exactly tactical, and rather obvious in its intention.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I thought he was trying to lure him in?

But the bracelet lured him in. Cole's family didn't need to be alive. Cole didn't even know if his family was alive or not when he jumped into the portal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Given that this movie stars basically nobody of note, and the fact that I didn't even know it existed until the sizzle real for HBOMax at launch, I'm pretty sure they thought this was going to be a really small B movie that suddenly exploded due to HBOMax meaning everyone could watch it at home. I'm hoping they put more effort into a potential sequel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1386771242817105920

quote:

Samba TV is reporting that HBO Max posted its most viewed weekend premier ever with New Line’s Mortal Kombat clocking 3.8 million U.S. households. Samba TV polls HBO Max audiences in terrestrial TV homes, and in this case, those who watched the Simon McQuoid directed R-rated movie for at least five minutes. Viewership peaked on Friday in 1.7M households per Samba TV. All in, Samba TV says that Mortal Kombat‘s first weekend drew more viewers than Warner Bros./Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong did in its first five days, which the third-party streaming monitoring service pegged at 3.6M households.

Pair this with the overperformance of Mortal Kombat at the weekend domestic box office. Heading into Friday, B.O. estimates were between $10M-$15M for the feature adaptation reboot of the Midway videogame. The New Line movie came in this morning with an updated 3-day opening of $23.3M. The title was in competition against R-rated Funimation/Aniplex anime feature Demon Slayer which also overperformed to $21.1M, beating its $10M projection; that movie respecting a pure theatrical 90-day window. To date, the $55M Mortal Kombat has made $51.1M.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

boop the snoot posted:

I’m sure getting the most views ever is great but I have trouble thinking you want to hit that mark with something as mediocre as this movie.

You think HBO cares about quality?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

boop the snoot posted:

I would’ve said yes before GoT, which I never watched but know all about because everyone talks about how much of a letdown it was.

They cancelled both Rome and Deadwood because they were costing them too much. Mortal Kombat got them numbers. I'm sure they're happy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

That's exactly who he is. You don't need to know anything else about Goro. He's the reigning champion of Mortal Kombat and killed generations of Shaolin monks until a B-movie actor punched his balls.

Apparently he's a Prince of some kind, too, though the particulars of Shokan monarchy has never been made clear to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Inzombiac posted:

The best rendition of the Mortal Kombat theme is from this headcase

https://youtu.be/6fmem0CNz14

I have a lot of questions, but first...why does he have two copies of Hunchback of Notre Dame?

Like, good movie, but why two?

Also...everything else about this guy's vibe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn’t she also a replacement actress because the prior one injured herself during fight training?

Yup. And that original actress was Cameron Diaz. She injured her wrist and had to drop out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drainpipe posted:

Outside of special effects, I think the only thing MK95 lacked compared to MK21 was a good story for Scorpion and Subzero.

Yeah I remember being really upset about that when MK95 came out.

"Deadliest of enemies...but powerless under my control."

Oh, so we're just not going to cover the coolest story in Mortal Kombat in the Mortal Kombat movie, despite having both characters right there? Cool cool cool cool cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I tried watching Scorpion's Revenge last night and I was definitely bored when it was just the not-particularly-interesting MK1 setup story again. There's nothing much to get out of this that you wouldn't get from playing story mode in MKX/11.

Same. I actually turned it off half way through out of utter boredom. It's the same story I've seen, like, at least 3 times already, with very little new to see, and no real new spin. I'm surprised it's regarded so highly.