Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My embarrassing Mortal Kombat Annihilation story?

When it came out in theatres, I saw it twice... On the same day.

Being a big Mortal Kombat fan I asked my dad to take me to see it in the morning, then, when arriving home, got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to see it that afternoon. Why not? I thought, and didn't tell him I already saw it that very day.

Now I like to think I was pretty discerning in my movie choices back then. But I recall liking it quite a bit, other than some hokey CGI and killing of Johnny Cage.

To this day I have not watched it again, though I've seen the original several times. After two decades of being told how horrendously bad it was, I'd rather preserve my original alternate universe memory where it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I really enjoyed the spit out of this movie. I don’t know quite what I expected going into it, but it ticked all the boxes for me for what I would want out of a new Mortal Kombat film.

Perhaps it was that I was with a group of good friends I hadn’t seen in awhile, or perhaps that that I saw it in a populated cinema, with a active audience that were laughing at the comedy bits and audibly disgusted at the gory bits, or the fact it was filmed in my home town so we could snigger and joke about the locales we recognised, but it definitely left me with a smile on my face.

I think most of the criticism in this thread is valid, but those moments didn’t particularly bother me personally, because as much as I adore Mortal Kombat, It’s always been a bizarre mix of immensely cheesy b movie with some self seriousness parts, and I felt the film did a half decent job of capturing that. Not being a big fan of remakes or adaptations, I’m glad it did something new with a new lead character / not focusing on the tournament, as otherwise it’s just be another retread of a plot we’ve seen before.

Perhaps we have been spoilt in the last decade or so with high budget Marvel films proving that adaptations can be both faithful to their source material and be well written, impressive films on movies in their own right. For me I’m still impressed by a video game movies that don’t suck.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

boop the snoot posted:

Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub Zero or whatever that lovely game was is not part of the Mortal Kombat universe. I do not accept it.

Inspired by this thread and the memory of that game I booted up the PS Classic last night and tried it out for the first time since 1997.

Jesus gently caress is this game hard. It's full of the cheapest bullshit that requires wrote memorisation of every aspect of each level, which can only be obtained by dying a lot. Even with same scumming, the difficulty is absurd. No wonder I never bought the thing after renting it one weekend.

Pity, because otherwise the bits that you fight give good glimpses at what it could have been, and I dig how it plays just like mk3.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I thought the new film did a good balance of depicting gore. It would have been easy to be gratuitous given the R rating, or instead tone it down to secure a lower rating.

The way it is now it doesn't overstay its welcome - the glory bits get a genuine shock response, and when we get a real modern day MK goofy fatality from Kung Lao there was a huge audible reaction from my crowd of both disgust and bemusement.

On the topic of the games, one of the other things that helped desensitise the violence was the goofy rear end sound effects and vocal 'noises' that accompanied every move, not to mention things like 'Toasty!'. MK3 and MK4 were particularly hilarious in that regard.