Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lurdiak posted:

I seriously doubt this movie will be as risky and interesting as the original. It'll probably just have a lot of terrible-looking CG blood.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Well the original is basically an Enter the Dragon ripoff with horribly dated CGI, an awesome but also very dated soundtrack and just enough self awareness of its own ridiculousness to make it all work. Still the best videogame movie IMO but not a piece of high art by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kevin Nash was in the first one, right?

Are you thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I hope the new movie includes the original Animalities, where Scorpion turns into a penguin and Reptile turns into a monkey.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

As for the 1995 film’s beloved “Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)” theme song, will we hear it in the new movie? “The answer is yes. What Ben Wallfish, the composer, did is he took the song and did a forensic study on it; a musical deep dive into what builds that song and what’s created, how it got created. Multiple things are going on in that song that he pulled apart and used.

“It becomes a big elevated cinematic score that uses DNA and elements of that song. There are some times it gets quite overt. Other times are quite subtle, like Raiden’s theme is actually a slowed-down version of that song. There’s lots of different ways we’ve used it. I won’t ruin the surprise for you, but the little 90s kid inside you will be very happy by the end of this film.”

This is all I really needed tbh.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I don't like EDM or dubstep and yet this is perfect.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Even though this had fun moments I agree with the majority of the complaints. The simplicity of the 95 movie does so much for it. It doesn't give a poo poo why Johnny Cage can do a shadow kick or why Liu Kang shoots a fireball, they just do it and doesn't waste time explaining things.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The original didn't need an audience stand in either. If what was previously mentioned was true and Cole was mandated by the studio then a lot of this movie's issues make sense since they just amount to franchise building and sequel bait. Not a problem limited to this film but most of Hollywood today, of course. Just give people what they want and build demand for a sequel based on quality forfuckssake.

Edit: mainly ranting because this felt like it had a lot of potential and fun elements that were squandered by the script.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 24, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It absolutely doesn't matter that they introduced a new character, because the games do that all the time, including a set of "second generation" characters at this point. The new guy gets a yellow Black Panther suit, because of course he does.

I don't think the problem so much is that there's a new character as it is he's dull as dirt, and his motivation "I love my family" is super lame (and I still don't know if that's his wife or girlfriend and daughter, stepdaughter or little sister). Would've been more worthwhile if he got gibbed by Goro or something but that would require more self awareness than the film was allowed to have. Having said that I wasn't as offended as much as that part of the script as the time wasted on Arcana bullshit because NOBODY CARES.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, now I want to see the movie about a mall cop with improvised tonfas.

Paul Blart: Mortal Kopbat

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Apparently he's a Prince of some kind, too, though the particulars of Shokan monarchy has never been made clear to me.

Rain, who dresses in purple, also happens to be a prince.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

My go-to example for that kind of thing is how the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon show had a body horror episode where Sonic meets his uncle, who was turned into a cyborg.

Ah yes, "Sonic Meets Sektor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Gorn is a pretty good one. I damaged a light fixture playing it.