Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I loved it, but I am easy to please. I liked the theme song at the end, sue me. Not as fun as MK95 but still a pleasant experience. My main issue with it was they weren't sure which direction to go in. Is it a fun, over the top film that doesn't take itself seriously? Or is it more "grounded" and gritty. The intro fleshing out Scorpion/Subzero, which were the best 15 minutes of my life, set a precedent that characters will be explored, and that just did not happen. Sure, we spent a lot of time with Sonya, Jax and Kano, that was a nice introduction. Raiden, who is the probably the most central figure in MK lore, only got a few minutes of screen time and a really weird over the top Japanese accent. It almost sounded cartoonish-ly racist, at one point I expected him to blurt out FLIED LICE

We barely spent any time with Kabal (looked cool as poo poo though), Mileena and Shang Tsung. Instead of coming off as viable villains it felt like they were generic, though excellent cosplaying, baddies. And GORO. MAN. I thought Goro looked absolutely amazing and was eager to see him. But then even Shang Tsung sounded like he literally forgot he EXISTED. When Goro showed up he was like "Oh yeah! It's Goro! Go gently caress up a farm," cool thanks for the three Goro minutes.

They should have removed Nitara, Reiko, Kung Lao, and "Reptile" entirely. And, I'll argue, Cole Young. I understand the purpose of his character but he is unnecessary. Start the story with Sub Zero flinging ice at Jax and go from there.

Because of the limited screen time of all those dudes the film veered dangerously close to "too much poo poo" territory, which is what doomed MK: Annihilation (along with a million other things). What made MK95 so fun and enjoyable was that the premise was essentially boiled down to "an evil wizard is having a supernatural tourney on his island." You didn't need character development for that. You didn't need to know why there's an ice ninja, a 4 armed monster or another ninja that can teleport to hell. That kind of poo poo just came with the territory. And it was fun!

MK2021 just wasn't sure which direction to go, but overall it was still really fun for me. I hope they get a sequel. I know Joe Taslim (Sub Zero) said he signed on for potentially 4 MK movies, so they must have some degree of confidence. Or maybe its four Sub Zero movies

Edit: Watch this 10 minute MK: Legacy episode of Cyrax and Sektor. It's 8 years old and still dope as poo poo. More importantly, you get the gist of the story in those 10 minutes. If MK2021 had established similar pacing, the characters would be justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU