Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They should have just made a Scorpion movie. His backstory is the most interesting part of the entire film and he's in it for less than ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Grimdude posted:

Why didn't they just make Cole like a young scorpion? Why did they seemingly invest so much in making it seem like that was the goal and then do something much lamer? I mean, "I came from hell to kill you" was still badass but maybe just have scorpion possess the useless character instead idk.

I like this idea way more than anything that happened in this movie.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm certain that the studio mandated the protagonist have a generic white guy name, which is why Takeda's out. But there's no reason he couldn't have played Johnny Cage unless Tam just wasn't up to it.

I guess it's kind of progressive that they cast an Asian man to play the boring white guy who loves his family.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mortal Kombat 1995 had an Asian lead who was actually cool and not boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbms1vse9tw

I'll never forget renting a Jet Li/ Jackie Chan movie and when the movie starts we quickly found out it was about some boring white kid traveling through time or something. I don't think I've ever given up on a movie so fast.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Does anyone even like lizard reptile? Why can't he just be a ninja guy again?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As bad as this movie is I don't get how people are confused about Cole's family situation. The daughter calls him Dad constantly and they even casted a girl who at least looks like she could be bi-racial.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm not sure how Cole's family survived the freeze attack that instantly killed Scorpion's family.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

pospysyl posted:

Two good scenes in this movie:

1) Liu Kang beating Kano by spamming the leg sweep.

2) Kung Lao buzzsaw fatality.

Otherwise the movie feels like a throwback to the terrible fighting game movies circa 2010, like Tekken, Legend of Chun Li, and Dragon Ball Evolution.

People keep making MCU comparisons but this poo poo is definitely has more in common with the movies you listed here. It feels like something you'd see on TNT after Elektra.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I still can't get over magical robot arms. Like that's so dumb I can't believe someone was paid to come up with that.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Watching the 95 movie now and I can't believe I thought this guy playing Kano was actually Australian when I was a kid.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I feel like no one even gave her any direction on anything in that fight. Like he pose is so awkward and her moves are so drat clumsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

NikkolasKing posted:

"I'm a pretty big shot myself. Ya know, back home..."
How lucky for THEM..."back home."

I can quote entirely too much of this movie from memory. But I agree totally with your point.

Does anybody else remember some weird martial arts TV show from the 90s that the first guy Liu Kang fought was also in? I remember I knew him immediately upon seeing him in the movie but the show itself is a dim memory at this point.

WMAC Masters.