Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This will be the 41st year of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards. You can find a list of past winners at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wrestling_Observer_Newsletter_awards. The awards will be based on the time frame from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.

Polling takes place amongst active subscribers. When you submit your ballot, you need to send in your name and if you’re subscribing in print or online. If online, you need to send a receipt from your last order. Ballots can be submitted by mail, email, or fax.

There are two categories of awards. “Category A” awards have voters list their top 3 choices, which received 5, 3, and 2 points for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, respectively. “Category B” awards have people vote for just one choice.

Category A

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year) – Combines importance to the business and drawing power with success in the ring
Mixed Martial Arts Most Valuable – Combines importance to the business and drawing power with success in the cage
Most Outstanding Wrestler – Best in-ring performer
Most Outstanding Fighter of the Year – Best in-cage performer, in terms of ability & wins
Tag Team of the Year – Best working & most valuable team in wrestling
Best on Interviews – Only consider 2019
Promotion of the Year – Should be based on which group put together the best live and television product on a consistent basis, and secondarily, the ability to sell that product at a high level.
Best Weekly TV Show
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year
MMA Match of the Year

Category B

United States/Canada MVP
Japanese MVP
Mexico MVP
Europe MVP
Non-Heavyweight MVP
Women's Wrestling MVP
Women's MMA MVP
Best Box Office Draw – Person who moves ticket sales, TV ratings, and/or PPV sales.
Feud of the Year – This should be based on a combination of having a compelling storyline along with having great matches that should strengthen the box office.
Most Improved – Wrestling only
Most Charismatic
Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler)
Bruiser Brody Memorial Award (Best Brawler)
Best Flying Wrestler
Most Overrated – The wrestler who gets the biggest push, despite lacking ring ability or charisma.
Most Underrated – The wrestler with the most ability, who, for whatever reason, doesn't get a push commensurate with their ability.
Rookie of the Year – Wrestling only, must have debuting in a major professional debut after September 1, 2017. Based on ring performance, not star potential.
Best Non-Wrestler
Best Television Announcer
Worst Television Announcer
Best Major Wrestling Show – Not a TV taping or house show
Worst Major Wrestling Show
Best Wrestling Maneuver
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic
Worst Television Show
Worst Match of the Year
Worst Feud of the Year
Worst Promotion of the Year
Best Booker
Promoter of the Year
Best Gimmick
Worst Gimmick
Best Pro Wrestling Book
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Wrestler of the Year Will the Thrill

Most Outstanding Ishii

Best Flying Fenix

As it stands before AEW goes weekly

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I think Best Flying has to be Vikingo this year.

Technical probably has to be ZSJ, & Brawler to Ishii.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most improved is Lance Archer in a landslide. But Cody deserves second.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Most Overrated- Baron Corbin or Lacey Evans?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Most improved is Lance Archer in a landslide. But Cody deserves second.

If Cody had a match with Spears at All Out that was on par with his one against Dustin, I would have to consider Cody over Archer.

Nyla Rose or Jungle Boy might need to be considered for this one too, depending on how the last few months go. Maybe Chris Dickinson. No one in Mexico sticks out, nor New Japan outside of Archer. I feel like Velveteen Dream's big improvement was last year. I'm not familiar enough with Japan outside of NJPW to comment on any contenders from there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Davros1 posted:

Its not Baron v Lacey its Shane v Lacey. I still vote Lacey.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone ever been dropped from the ballot, put back on, then not voted in again? Has anyone dropped off multiple times?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I have absolutely no idea what the best weekly TV show is. I don't watch New Japan's weekly show because I watch the full events on World. Beyond Uncharted Territory? Or is it just CMLL Super Viernes which seems like a solid choice most of the time? I dunno, I've seen one episode of Impact this year which was fine but clearly not fine enough to get me to watch another episode, ROH was utterly forgettable, I've seen one match from MLW this year & that was from a NOAH show.

Wrestler of the Year is an interesting one because there's no real obvious standout combining both categories. The in-ring standouts are guys like Ospreay, Ishii, Takagi, the big draws are people like Okada, Naito, whoever the gently caress in WWE is considered on top, Brock? Okada is obviously great in ring so I guess he's the most balanced case, at least of the New Japan guys.

Tag Team I suppose has to be between Bucks & Lucha Bros? Far more into the teams of Ben-K & Shun Skywalker and Masaaki Mochizuki & Keisuke Okuda but not sure either team could win an argument on "most valuable". Same thing probably stops AXIZ being considered, which sucks because Shiozaki & Nakajima rule.

Best show so far is hard choice for me between Best of the Super Juniors Finals & G1 Climax Block A final night. Honourable mention to Bloodsport from Wrestlemania weekend.

Most Underrated is Chase Owens. Women's Wrestler of the Year is Sareee. Rookie is Yuya Uemura because Ren Narita misses the cutoff by 2 months. Does "continuing to take blood money to run shows for Saudi PR" count for Worst Promotional tactic? Nothing else screams out, or at least nothing that I've not immediately forgotten. The mere existence of WWE is probably too broad.

Honestly always have a problem with filling out Observer awards because I really don't care how big a draw someone is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone ever been dropped from the ballot, put back on, then not voted in again? Has anyone dropped off multiple times?

AJ Styles dropped off twice. A bunch of guys who have died have dropped off twice since dying usually gets you back on the ballot.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cody is going to get way more WOTY votes than people think

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Cody is going to get way more WOTY votes than people think

I'd be surprised if either he isn't in the top 3.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MOTY: BOSJ final or Cody/Dustin
WMOTY: Lawlor/Havoc MLW title match

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Best Box Office Draw is an interesting one in that it should go to one of The Elite in America but in Japan its Kota Ibushi and i dont know Mexico at all.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's my way-too-early ballot

Wrestler of the Year

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Cody
3. Will Ospreay

Most Outstanding Wrestler

1. Will Ospreay
2. Tomohiro Ishii
3. Shingo Takagi

Tag Team of the Year

1. The Young Bucks
2. Lucha Bros
3. SoCal Uncensored

Best on Interviews

1. Chris Jericho
2. Jon Moxley
3. Juice Robinson

Promotion of the Year

1. NJPW
2. AEW
3. Dragon Gate

Best Weekly TV Show

1. AEW's "Road To..."
2. NJPW on AXS
3. I dunno, MLW or something? I pretty much stopped watching weekly TV across all promotions.

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year

1. Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi, BOSJ Finals
2. Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax
3. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes, AEW Double Or Nothing

United States/Canada MVP: Cody
Japanese MVP: Kazuchika Okada
Mexico MVP: Laredo Kid
Europe MVP: Will Ospreay
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Will Ospreay
Women's Wrestling MVP: Meiko Satomura
Best Box Office Draw: The Elite
Feud of the Year: Minoru Suzuki vs. Jushin Thunder Liger
Most Improved: Lance Archer
Most Charismatic: Chris Jericho
Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler): Zack Sabre Jr.
Bruiser Brody Memorial Award (Best Brawler): Tomohiro Ishii
Best Flying Wrestler: El Hijo del Vikingo
Most Overrated: Shane McMahon
Most Underrated: Throw the 205 Live roster into a hat and pick one, who fuckin cares
Rookie of the Year: Cain Velasquez
Best Non-Wrestler: Miho Abe
Best Television Announcer: Kevin Kelly
Worst Television Announcer: Alex Marvez
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Double Or Nothing
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Super Showdown in Glorious Progressive Paradise Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Best Wrestling Maneuver: THE JUDAS EFFECT (serious answer: Shingo Takagi's Pumping Bomber)
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Is WWE still in bed with KSA? Yes? Okay then.
Worst Television Show: WWE Raw
Worst Match of the Year: Goldberg vs. Undertaker, WWE Blood Money Flowing From The Heavens Like a Benevolent Ruler Who's Definitely Not Doing Genocide
Worst Feud of the Year: Seth Rollins/Becky Lynch vs. Baron Corbin/Lacey Evans
Worst Promotion of the Year: The one still run by a credibly accused rapist
Best Booker: Gedo
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: A Boy And His Dinosaur
Worst Gimmick: THE SASSY SOUTHERN BELLE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Best Television Announcer is Excalibur.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
WOTY: Jon Moxley while Okada is the obvious choice, I think that Moxley is responsible for a lot of the feeling going around about wrestling at the moment. Him showing up in NJPW and AEW has brought a buzz to wrestling that hasn't been around in a while. That coupled with his in-ring performances pushed him over the top for me.

Rookie of the Year: El Phantasmo Admittedly I'm a bit of a mark for the guy because I like seeing RPW guys succeed. However, even without that bias it's difficult to see how this can go to anyone else. Debuted in NJPW to much fanfare, he had two MOTYCs in three days during BOSJ, won the Jr tag titles at his first attempt, has pinned Will Ospreay three times and has won the Super-J Cup in another MOTYC with Dragon Lee. If it wasn't for his dumb comments post Super-J Cup, it would be a perfect year

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Davros1 posted:

who rates Corbin or Lacey?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

who rates Corbin or Lacey?

Vince McMahon

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dave should probably just rename it since we have the same argument every year, but Most Overrated really means Most Overpushed

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Rookie of the Year: El Phantasmo Admittedly I'm a bit of a mark for the guy because I like seeing RPW guys succeed. However, even without that bias it's difficult to see how this can go to anyone else. Debuted in NJPW to much fanfare, he had two MOTYCs in three days during BOSJ, won the Jr tag titles at his first attempt, has pinned Will Ospreay three times and has won the Super-J Cup in another MOTYC with Dragon Lee. If it wasn't for his dumb comments post Super-J Cup, it would be a perfect year

I like ELP and he had a great breakout year but, uhh, he's not a rookie

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 22, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

most overrated: sami zayn, jeff cobb, finn balor

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Benne posted:

Dave should probably just rename it since we have the same argument every year, but Most Overrated really means Most Overpushed

yeah, I wish he would just have both, because Most Overrated as an actual category would make for interesting voting and speculation

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

WOTY: Jon Moxley while Okada is the obvious choice, I think that Moxley is responsible for a lot of the feeling going around about wrestling at the moment. Him showing up in NJPW and AEW has brought a buzz to wrestling that hasn't been around in a while. That coupled with his in-ring performances pushed him over the top for me.

While I can see what you're going for, I think this case depends on how AEW TV starts off, otherwise it's mostly based on having a hot G1 run, which seems a bit weak as a case compared to Okada's year so far, or every Ospreay, who as much as I don't care for him has impressed a lot of people by just taking on a lot of work all year, and for people more entertained by him, having those four big tournament performances probably counts for a lot in terms of a sheer performance case.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Moxley's case is really hurt by having a complete zero on his resume for nearly 6 months

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The only AEW guys I'm considering voting for are the Young Bucks as tag team of the year or possibly feud of the year with the Lucha Bros.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try to talk about individual awards in depth, starting with the Mexican MVP award.

I'm not sure there's a real clear cut favorite as of right now. CMLL has stalled out pretty hard creatively the last few months, as they're centered around an ultimo Guerrero vs. Cibernetico feud that they abandoned for the main event of the Anniversario, instead going with a multi-man cage match that will involve Ciber & UG, as well as Gilber el Boricua. This seems to have affected CMLL up and down the card, with match quality falling off compared to the first couple of months of the year. This includes Cuartrero, Forastero, & Sanson, who I would have voted as tag team of the year in March or so.

AAA basically has two storylines going right now - the eternal Nina Hamburguesa/Big Mami/Lady Maravilla love triangle, and the Blue Demon Jr./Dr. Wagner Jr. feud. The latter has a lot of heat and is probably the most intriguing feud in Mexico in 2019, but their matches have been just okay. They have a couple of real standouts around a lot, like Vikingo & Laredo Kid, but overall they feel like a clear #2 company.

LA Park has largely done nothing special this year. Pentagon Jr. & Fenix have primarily been working U.S. dates, though their matches with the Young Bucks have been great, as have their LAX matches, but only half of that has been in Mexico.

Barbaro Cavernario may be my pick for the best single wrestler in Mexico, but he hasn't done much the last couple of months. Laredo Kid has been good, but when in the trios with the Lucha Bros and the Elite, he feels like the sixth best worker out of those six. Hijo del Vikingo just got hurt, fortunately for not too long. It also feels like Dragon Lee & Rush haven't done much this year, spending a lot of time as some of the few bright spots in RoH. Myzteziz Jr. was the third man on the trios team with Vikingo & Laredo. Other guys like Caristico, Mistico, Niebla Roja, Titan, & Templario have all had moments, but if we're talking about them as Mexican MVP, then we're way down the list.

Right now I'm leaning towards Vikingo, but I think Laredo Kid & Barbaro Cavernario are also in contention. Ultimo Guerrero is a possibility, but he's going to have to spend the last three months doing something a lot more interesting than feuding with Ciber et al.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Benne posted:

I like ELP and he had a great breakout year but, uhh, he's not a rookie

When it says debut for a major promotion, I didn't think that places like RPW and the other British indies counted. If that's not the case, then Cain Velasquez gets my vote

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

When it says debut for a major promotion, I didn't think that places like RPW and the other British indies counted. If that's not the case, then Cain Velasquez gets my vote

Yeah, the qualifying criteria is kinda vague and constantly up for debate, but for the most part ROTY is reserved for people having their literal first year in pro wrestling. It's how Ronda Rousey won last year and probably how Cain will win this year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
How is Ibushi not best wrestler and japan MVP

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

lol you dumdums jericho will win every award

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
The Judas Effect

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It depends since its never been defined - I think its officially "first year in a major promotion" or something like that but most people read it as first year full stop since "major promotion" isn't defined and I'd argue includes top level independent promotions. ELP has been wrestling since 2005 so I think its a bit unfair for legit rookies to count him as part of that one even if you don't consider Rev Pro "major".

Rookie of the Year is an interesting one from my perspective since Joshi wrestling is full of all sorts of great rookies who've started over the last few years. If I use my own personal definition of the award (rookies that either debuted in 2019 or who debuted so late in 2018 that you have to consider them as part of the 2019 class) Suzu Suzuki (of Ice Ribbon, debuted 31st December 2018 but, well, COME ON she counts for this year) is who I'd vote for; she's very young but is clearly very talented and just gets pro wrestling: character work is great and she just gets people engaged in her matches which is the sign of a good wrestler. Other possible candidates are Maria (Marvelous, debuted 24th December 2018 which again makes it fair to consider her for 2019) who's probably the weakest of the three Marvelous rookies but in the last few months has really progressed into being the biggest dick of the group and I'm looking forward to seeing that progress and Mirai Mayumi (Tokyo Joshi Pro - actually debuted in 2019!) stands out a lot: I think part of that is that she stands out from the other TJPW rookies in being a more serious wrestler over doing character stuff but she has shined: she had a very good match against Miyu Yamashita a week back. There's not a slam dunk candidate like there was last year with Utami (although Mikoto Shindo was also up there; but she's really moved up in my estimations this year) but there are still a lot of names.

Cain Velasquez will win this for lack of other mainstream candidates though. I guess the LA young lions but they've all been wrestling in various places for a while I think and I'm sure technically debuted for New Japan last year; no obvious WWE candidates and I'm not an expert but I don't think there are US indie candidates.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave usually puts together a list of eligible RoY candidates with the ballot.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jericho is making a strong late push for WOTY, and probably has Best Interviews and Most Charismatic locked up already.

And I take back my Baron Corbin Most Overrated vote because it's Seth in a loving walk.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seth is gonna walk away with Worst Match of the year and most Overrated.

I still think Will has Wrestler of the Year locked up by Jericho is making a strong case for it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Seth is gonna walk away with Worst Match of the year and most Overrated.

I still think Will has Wrestler of the Year locked up by Jericho is making a strong case for it

I feel like Corbin will give Seth a big run for Most Overrated. Remember he's the same guy you had all of management go on TV and say the dude is killing the ratings and crowds and then they keep having his character strongly pushed on TV

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

I feel like Corbin will give Seth a big run for Most Overrated. Remember he's the same guy you had all of management go on TV and say the dude is killing the ratings and crowds and then they keep having his character strongly pushed on TV

Seth actually has the title though and has bombed on top which helps out big time

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Seth actually has the title though and has bombed on top which helps out big time

part of that was his heatless months long feud with Corbin and Lacey Evans after toppling Brock to as hot of reactions as wwe crowds get anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Remember how loving hyped the crowd was for Seth when he came back from injury.... and immediately cut a heel promo? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KungFu Grip posted:

part of that was his heatless months long feud with Corbin and Lacey Evans after toppling Brock to as hot of reactions as wwe crowds get anymore.

This is all true but if you're being positioned as the top babyface, at some point you gotta step up your game and drag lesser opponents to your level. Chad Gable managed to get good heated matches out of Corbin, and he did it with the company openly mocking him for months. Vince and the writers/agents deserve plenty of blame for Seth's title run bombing, but let's not act like he's an innocent victim -- he got plenty of chances and simply hasn't delivered.