Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019

I have been passively looking for a decent firearm for concealed carry. I currently own a Smith & Wesson SD40 VE, a Ruger LC9s, a Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 (poo poo gun), a Charter Arms .38 Spc revolver, and a Ruger Ar-556. I moved to an area where a concealed carry permit is required for any type of public carry. I don't mind the Ruger LC9S, except it is technically my wife's and I purchased it because she liked the safety features, so she is way more comfortable having in near her. I am currently looking for a good firearm that I can conceal carry on a budget, and I don't know too much about different manufacturers nor do I know very much about firearms beside that. I know basic cleaning and the difference between the bullets I use in what I currently own, but I must admit that I do not know much else about firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

I really like my cz 75 compact for concealed carry, but I have a Smith 36 and a berretta 21 for when I am too lazy to wear a belt. I can't help much with the tiny, super slim stuff you see on the market but I carry the cz on the regular without too much issue. If you don't mind spending some cash, hit up a rental range and check out some smaller handguns.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

If you like the LC9S already just buy a EC9S, they're essentially the same gun except the ec9s is a good deal cheaper. Only difference is the sights aren't adjustable on the ec9s.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you like the LC9S already just buy a EC9S, they're essentially the same gun except the ec9s is a good deal cheaper. Only difference is the sights aren't adjustable on the ec9s.

I purchased it for my wife, originally. I generally like full-sized firearms, but unfortunately I do live in a city that requires you to have a concealed carry license. I was thinking about getting one with more safety features than my 40 has, but then retailers started banning open carrying in their stores. So not a good choice at this point in the long run. She doesn't like carrying firearms, but I do. But its a pain to conceal carry a full-size unless I have a bigger holster.

Soupisgood posted:

I really like my cz 75 compact for concealed carry, but I have a Smith 36 and a berretta 21 for when I am too lazy to wear a belt. I can't help much with the tiny, super slim stuff you see on the market but I carry the cz on the regular without too much issue. If you don't mind spending some cash, hit up a rental range and check out some smaller handguns.

I really should hit up the local range and rent a gun. Just on a more limited income and we don't have a wide range here. It is much easier to learn a gun when you actually fire it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I generally carry a glock 26 when I'm in jeans and a ruger lcp when I have gym shorts on. That thing is so tiny

Plus since the lcp2 came out you can find them dirt cheap (may not apply anymore, haven't checked in a few months)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Do you have a preference within the guns you currently own? Make our suggestions better for matching a decent upgrade from your current pick of the litter.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I generally carry a glock 26 when I'm in jeans and a ruger lcp when I have gym shorts on. That thing is so tiny

Plus since the lcp2 came out you can find them dirt cheap (may not apply anymore, haven't checked in a few months)

It's nice when there is that price drop.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Do you have a preference within the guns you currently own? Make our suggestions better for matching a decent upgrade from your current pick of the litter.

Good question, I was just thinking about how I could have been a bit more detailed haha. Looking for a 9 or a 40 (haven't tried .380 yet) that has manual safeties. Magazine capacity isn't a thing I look for since I have to carry concealed, so 10 rounds or less I would say. My wife gets a tad bit nervous around firearms, she has used them but she is still afraid of them going off randomly. Due to my 40 not having a safety and my Taurus having a design flaw that causes it to drop the magazine when I fire, those guns are out of the question. My wife feel safe using my 40 or having it lying around, at all. That makes it a bit more difficult to take the only gun she is comfortable using when I am out of the house. So I am looking for a firearm that has manual safety's and visual "safety" features. Preferably less than 10 rounds. I was looking at a Springfield firearm that has 4 different visual inspections, but I haven't decided if that is what I absolutely want yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Springfield 911's might be your speed as they're small and have an external safety to them.

Really though you'll need to give a budget range as to what you're looking for as very low will tremendously limit you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

What sort of clothes are you planning on concealing in? If youíre comfortable carrying something G19-sized that opens up a lot of options for cheap guns. I have a friend that used to conceal a SW9VE in a t-shirt, but heís a big guy and would have been obvious to people who knew what to look for.

And yeah, put a dollar cap on there. Off the top of my head I would say maybe a S&W Shield 9mm for super-small with a manual safety. Mid-sized, Canik TP9SF Elite-S (the safety purely blocks the trigger FWIW, itís not a striker mechanism block), maybe a SAR B6P compact, M&P compact with thumb safety.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

I personally have a Shield 1st gen. I would not recommend it as even after shooting a good amount of rounds through the thing and cleaning/lubing it a lot manipulating the safety is a massive pain in the rear end and requires really positive engagement to do so.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Fair enough, I used one with a safety but not enough to where I would have expected to be fluid with it, just a couple magazines.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019

I tend to wear jeans and a t-shirt when carrying. I am trying to keep it under $750. I am simply looking for a safety that is as simple as a manual thumb safety. I am left handed, so that is not a problem. I do not want to do Taurus because of my Millenium G2 is several flawed and you are lucky if they get it fixed in a year.

The biggest thing is a thumb safety, my wife likes being able to easily confirm the safety is on, so visual safeties are hit and miss. The Springfield I was looking at has a small rod that comes out of you have a round in the chamber. I am hesitant with Glocks and Cannik because of their safetyís being embed in the trigger, which my wife is too nervous to have as the primary safety. Additionally, my 40 does that a visual indicator for a round in the chamber, but it is hard to see unless you are in good light, and it does not have any safety features, which is why my wife is always uncomfortable with it being out when Iím home.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fair enough, I used one with a safety but not enough to where I would have expected to be fluid with it, just a couple magazines.

what i meant by it is i basically would have to dig my thumbnail into the thing in order to disengage which compared to a standard thumb flip is suboptimal

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Go to a gun store and ask to see a couple different subcompact 9mms, and then pick the one that feels best in your hand and has the best sight picture for your eyes and best trigger pull for your finger, etc. Obviously what feels best in your hand might not at all be the same thing as what feels best to shoot, but unless its a shop that lets you test models, feel alone might be the best you'll get.

The default modern can't-go-wrong CCW is either a Glock 26 or, if that is too thick, the single-stack version they came up with recently (the 43? I think). If you get one used, which is almost impossible to screw up with Glocks, you can get one for barely half your 750 dollar budget and then spend the rest on a comfortable holster and ammo to train, train, train with which is way more important than which gun you actually buy. The worst gun in the shop that you actually practice a lot with will serve you better than the best one you don't.

Only reason not to just go with a Glock is if the ergonomics or trigger pull just don't work for you for whatever reason. Ask to handle a S&W Shield, a Walther PPS, a SIG-Sauer P365 and so on and so on. They are all essentially the same gun at around the same price. People seem to be going especially crazy for the P365 lately. A lot of people seem to be agreeing right now that it is the best micro compact 9mm you can get at the moment. I haven't handled one myself yet, so do with that what you will.

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 18, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

felixdrkmessnger posted:

The biggest thing is a thumb safety, my wife likes being able to easily confirm the safety is on, so visual safeties are hit and miss. The Springfield I was looking at has a small rod that comes out of you have a round in the chamber. I am hesitant with Glocks and Cannik because of their safetyís being embed in the trigger, which my wife is too nervous to have as the primary safety. Additionally, my 40 does that a visual indicator for a round in the chamber, but it is hard to see unless you are in good light, and it does not have any safety features, which is why my wife is always uncomfortable with it being out when Iím home.

For genuinely carry-able guns with quality manual safeties:

- Ruger American compact, a 10+1 round 9mm Parabellum chambered pistol. They have two different models of this but I have no Idea what the difference is.

- For a smaller gun, the Springfield XD-E in 9mm Parabellum or 45 ACP if you feel like stocking yet another caliber. Seems out of stock at Bud's right ow and too lazy to look for other vendors.

- For a more expensive but excellent gun, an HK USP compact in 9mm Parabellum, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP. Also out of stock at Bud's but a very common gun. Also a good bet for buying used as they don't tend to clap out.

- If you and wife don't mind a slide safety, a Berette PX4 compact in 9mm Parabellum or 40 S&W is an option. Cheaper than a comparable new Glock and a very good gun.

- Smaller yet, the Beretta PX4 subcompact in 9mm or 40 S&W though 9mm may be a sefer bet for shooting enjoyment.

Note that the Beretta, HK, and Springfield have exposed hammers that you can pin down with your thumb while holstering to prevent a negligent discharge should something catch the trigger.

If you want to consider a revolver, Ruger's LCR is excellent. Checking to see if it is loaded is as simple as looking for case heads at the rear of the cylinder or popping it open real quick and closing it back up, as you know. Available in 22 Long Rifle (can also shoot 22 Short and 22 Long), 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (a rather good, inexpensive, and very low recoil defensive round if loaded with Gold Dot, Maxi-Mag, or Critical Defense as are reliable and hit to point-of-aim), 38 Special, 327 Federal Magnum (can run 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum in addition to it namesake cartridge for very good low-recoil loads), 9mm Parabellum using moon clips, and 357 Magnum (but do load with 38 Special)

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

There is also the SIG 938, the Springfield 911, and the Kimber Micro 9. These are slightly modified versions of the original Colt Mustang (a kinda sorta miniaturized 1911 in .380ACP) chambered in 9mm with a thumb safety, are hammer-fired, and single-action-only. They differ slightly in barrel length, weight, and aesthetic qualities (finishes, shapes, cocking serration, etc.).

The SIG P938 can be had in various configurations (mostly different grips and sights) and finishes for between $450 and $550. I'd advise avoiding the "Sports" model because it has a chunky fiber optic front sight instead of the standard night sight. Of the three guns I listed, this is also the only one I know of with any kind of aftermarket for triggers and safeties, although I'd guess you're not looking for stuff like that at the moment.

There is also a smaller version, the P238, chambered in the less powerful (and less popular) .380ACP cartridge. It's otherwise identical to the P938, and is usually cheaper at around $400.

The Springfield 911 is basically the same idea as the P938 with the same features, although there have been reports that the build quality is a little better than the P938. The trigger guard is also a little bit bigger for easier access. They're around $470 - mid $500s.

Like the SIG, you can also get the Springfield 911 in a .380 model that's smaller, lighter, and cheaper. The "911 Alpha" is only in .380, so avoid that if you're wanting the 9mm model. The Alpha model is cheaper than the regular model by having cheaper grips and a fiber optic front sight instead of tritium night sights. It can, however, be had for as little as $300. The "regular" .380 version runs between $380 and $450.

Check out Gun.Deals for model prices by vendor.

The Kimber Micro 9 is the same story with roughly the same pricing, including also having a smaller .380 variant. Check out pricing here.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

I personally have a Shield 1st gen. I would not recommend it as even after shooting a good amount of rounds through the thing and cleaning/lubing it a lot manipulating the safety is a massive pain in the rear end and requires really positive engagement to do so.

The safety on my shield is fine, but the slide stop/release is drat near impossible to engage.

Makes cleaning it a royal pain in the rear end.

The CZ 75 Compact or CZ P-01 is in your price range and is a very solid and reliable gun.

Also seconding the used USP Compact suggestion.

And no matter what, make time to goto the range to try things out, and more importantly, train. As others have said, training counts for a lot more than having a gun you or your wife are uncomfortable with or scared of, which leads to things that can get you killed if you ever need it -- like fumbling with safeties and/or carrying without a round in the chamber.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

I just got a S&W MP Shield 9. The grip fits my hand well and it feels extremely solid. You should give one of these a test.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

I only have one pistol and not much experience with others but I like my LC9S. A safety on a carry gun seems like a detriment, hence why I bought this one. It fits nicely in my pocket holster and it was less than $400. It is a little snappy but it works for me, especially since I wanted to carry my G19 but it was simply too big to hide on me.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Your wardrobe definitely sounds like it's more condusive to a gun designed for deep carry. My first instinct is to recommend a Ruger LCP II but you have the manual safety requirement, so I'll echo everyone else who suggested going with a Colt Mustang clone. See if you can get your paws on a Sig 238 and/or Springfield 911. You might also want to consider the M&P Shield which offers a manual safety and/or grip safety if that is more your speed. I never found the S&W Shield triggers to be good, but I don't ask for a good trigger in my carry guns.

Ignoring your requirements: If I had to start from scratch today and had only $750 to spend on a concealed carry package this is what I would do: Ruger LCP II for deep concealment, CZ75 Compact for holster carry/range time (the steel framed one because I am very stupid, or a P10C and a bunch of ammo because they're kind of really nice).

edit: speaking of really dumb, i carry a 1911 CCO whenever my wardrobe and day allows it.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Miso Beno posted:

Your wardrobe definitely sounds like it's more condusive to a gun designed for deep carry. My first instinct is to recommend a Ruger LCP II but you have the manual safety requirement, so I'll echo everyone else who suggested going with a Colt Mustang clone. See if you can get your paws on a Sig 238 and/or Springfield 911. You might also want to consider the M&P Shield which offers a manual safety and/or grip safety if that is more your speed. I never found the S&W Shield triggers to be good, but I don't ask for a good trigger in my carry guns.

Ignoring your requirements: If I had to start from scratch today and had only $750 to spend on a concealed carry package this is what I would do: Ruger LCP II for deep concealment, CZ75 Compact for holster carry/range time (the steel framed one because I am very stupid, or a P10C and a bunch of ammo because they're kind of really nice).

edit: speaking of really dumb, i carry a 1911 CCO whenever my wardrobe and day allows it.

$750 can get you a lot of knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doVYFjIJcfU

PinheadSlim
Apr 2, 2015

FRIENDS for EVER

One more post in favor of the Shield. I carry a Gen 2 9mm, and I love it. There's nothing wrong with the safety and with the 8 round magazine I get a great grip on it. You can regularly get them for less than 400 dollars, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

A valid alternative for sure.