Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Outrail posted:

gently caress, I had one in my 20's. I'm probably overdue for my next. gently caress, and it's free so I really should.

I was told only after you hit 50, unless your fam got it. Then I had some polyps they clipped whilst in there so I get bonus rounds. rear end cancer ain’t fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
My old man five years ago had a colonoscopy but the only time they could get him in was the same day we were going to fly down and see a Seahawks game and they said you can’t get any anesthetic and fly so he said gently caress it and just got it done with nothing then we flew to Seattle, so that’s why you can see im gay

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

buttchug the chloroform

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Burt Sexual posted:

I was told only after you hit 50, unless your fam got it. Then I had some polyps they clipped whilst in there so I get bonus rounds. rear end cancer ain’t fun.

Yeah. Thanks fam.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So back to hitting people in the head with shovels!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

So back to hitting people in the head with shovels!

Sometimes it's the only anesthetic available for a back alley colonoscopy.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cubone posted:

I wouldn't sweat it, in all likelihood you're perfectly purfly florflecly. Brain damage by now would have manifested mana mested by the damage the, mamage to damage a the derry darrison, flemony at remony. Brain damage by nain damage by rain by damamage, demissony at the library, aremony atromony.

I really hate this post. I have epilepsy and I swear just a smidgen of drain bramage, and I mostly get twitches or sensations. Before my grand mals, I have slurred and repeated myself constantly. But I get what I like to call "dumbbrain" when I haven't slept enough, or had caffeine too fast, and it makes me stutter and slur my words and kinda walk drunk. It's incredibly annoying and I don't usually notice it right away because at that point I'm already retarded. I can't imagine how much it would suck to have severe brain damage.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would imagine, and not saying this in a good way, at least if you had severe brain damage you probably wouldn’t even understand you have severe brain damage

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Do it ironically posted:

I would imagine, and not saying this in a good way, at least if you had severe brain damage you probably wouldn’t even understand you have severe brain damage

Cross posted to the Trump thread.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

deadeyez posted:

I really hate this post. I have epilepsy and I swear just a smidgen of drain bramage, and I mostly get twitches or sensations. Before my grand mals, I have slurred and repeated myself constantly. But I get what I like to call "dumbbrain" when I haven't slept enough, or had caffeine too fast, and it makes me stutter and slur my words and kinda walk drunk. It's incredibly annoying and I don't usually notice it right away because at that point I'm already retarded. I can't imagine how much it would suck to have severe brain damage.

Are twitches a sign of epilepsy?

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

Are twitches a sign of epilepsy?

Not necessarily, but indicative something is broke. In my case, they are myoclonic seizures. Yknow when you're falling asleep, and your leg kicks, and you're like what gently caress was that about. That's a myoclonic. Except in my case if I get too stressed or not enough sleep or woke up too fast I get them. I just call them twitches because it's easier for people to understand.

Sometimes they're funny, but mostly they're really annoying. I can go into detail about my specific issues if you're curious.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

deadeyez posted:

Not necessarily, but indicative something is broke. In my case, they are myoclonic seizures. Yknow when you're falling asleep, and your leg kicks, and you're like what gently caress was that about. That's a myoclonic. Except in my case if I get too stressed or not enough sleep or woke up too fast I get them. I just call them twitches because it's easier for people to understand.

Sometimes they're funny, but mostly they're really annoying. I can go into detail about my specific issues if you're curious.

Please open a thread and link or get pms. I am.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
First hand accounts of brains doing wierd poo poo is pretty interesting so n+1

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

deadeyez posted:

it would probably suck a lot, sorry I made you sad!

I was trying to iterate on the amusingly peculiar nonsensical assonance repetition in fremony at the library (which as I understand it was probably an etaoin shrdlu error)

didn't mean to stress anybody out about actual brain problems!
well, maybe a little
idk how other people react when their brain gets momentarily confused because it's expecting structure but gets nonsense, but for me confusion and concern turn to amusement pretty quickly. when I lose my mind I will probably be one of the ones that's always laughing

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

deadeyez posted:

Then I WILL make fun of your debilitating illness if you make a thread! :hfive:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Hey back in the 90s in grade 7 (13 years old) I joined the high jump team one day we had to practice in the gym I jump and missed the mat, next thing I remember was 12 hours laters getting a cat scan then next thing after that was hours later in bed, still can remember waking up for a shower then nothing till the cat scan

That and a handful of hockey concussions, last time I did anything involving my head was wake boarding just fell nothing bad and got a concussion even then knew this isn’t good

Have trouble sleeping, my kids won’t be doing sports involving potential head trauma regardless how much they argue with me

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
You have to hit them square on the top of the skull with something that will produce a nice comedic THUNK like a flimsy old frying pan

Anything else and you will kill someone don't ask me how I know

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Unfinish3d posted:

You have to hit them square on the top of the skull with something that will produce a nice comedic THUNK like a flimsy old frying pan

Anything else and you will kill someone don't ask me how I know

Cast iron fry pan is always a better option unless you're frying eggs really.

I've had a one or two concussions with puking hours after the fact. Last one was trying to snowboard and cracking my head backwards onto hard packed snow. Not a bad one and wearing a helmet but I remember tasting what purple tastes like, very vividly. Wierd unpleasant and somewhat metallic. I'm already more surly than I used to be but that might just be getting older. One or two more and I'm sure there'll be personality changes.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I got my first concussion at recess in 4th grade while playing kickball. This other kid and I both did a running jump trying to catch a killer cherry bomb and we collided pretty hard. This other kid was about twice my size. I bounced off him and my head bounced off the pavement. I remember showing up to the hospital covered in blood and vomit. It was pretty metal but I didn't appreciate it as such at the time

Also when I was 4 I tripped and fell off of the top of a playground and bit my tongue half off. I nearly choked to death on my own blood, which is again pretty metal. I ate nothing but soup, pudding, and push-pops for at least a month after

Revins fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 21, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think you would be able to tell apart being unconscious and merely unable to form memories :aaaaa:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You guys are forgetting the most important part. One blow to the head causes amnesia and a second blow later returns memory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

deadeyez posted:

I’ve had a fair few concussions and I get the dumbbrain thing too if I haven’t slept enough. It’s also paired with some pretty decently big but rare twitches that feel kind of like an electric shock. Usually those are in my face/head. It really sucks and has me worried about what’s gonna happen when I’m in my 50’s and older.
Don’t box, kids!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EsntB_ZIA4

Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column, which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it.

I got really drunk and ate 600 mg of thc, this was spot on.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Use the Stone Cold Stunner instead, OP

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

spleen merchant posted:

A friends cousin was killed this way a couple years ago. The defense tried to use a thin skull as an excuse.

That's kind of stupid considering the "eggshell skull rule" is a famous legal doctrine

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JK Fresco posted:

That's kind of stupid considering the "eggshell skull rule" is a famous legal doctrine

It's also literally known as the thin skull rule, I thought the poster was making a joke.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I got a pretty bad concussion when I was a teenager and some dude hit me in the back/side head with a wooden baseball bat. I played it off like I was a hard rear end, but less than 5 minutes later I was crying and puking my guts out, and for the rest of the afternoon I had trouble with everything. I slept it off pretty hard (I know the doctors say don't sleep, whatever).

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve had a fair few concussions and I get the dumbbrain thing too if I haven’t slept enough. It’s also paired with some pretty decently big but rare twitches that feel kind of like an electric shock. Usually those are in my face/head. It really sucks and has me worried about what’s gonna happen when I’m in my 50’s and older.
Don’t box, kids!
That electric shock thing coupled with a twitch sounds exactly like a myoclonic seizure. You're probably dying. You should mention it to your doctor.

If I open a thread about what it's like to have a potentially horrible brain disorder, where should I post it? Gbs? All I do is poo poo post here and read the Trump Thread. I don't have epilepsy that bad but I'm sure there's a goon here somewhere having their life consistently ruined every day from it who could chime in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

deadeyez posted:

That electric shock thing coupled with a twitch sounds exactly like a myoclonic seizure. You're probably dying. You should mention it to your doctor.

If I open a thread about what it's like to have a potentially horrible brain disorder, where should I post it? Gbs? All I do is poo poo post here and read the Trump Thread. I don't have epilepsy that bad but I'm sure there's a goon here somewhere having their life consistently ruined every day from it who could chime in.

Yeah, they know and they’re keeping an eye out for me developing MS, which runs in my family. Nothing funky on my last CT but I’m due for another one soon.

You could try Ask/Tell, I think that’s still reasonably active.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you want a higher audience dump it in GBS and try to ignore the shitposters.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I got really drunk and ate 600 mg of thc, this was spot on.

That sounds...expensive.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

13Pandora13 posted:

That sounds...expensive.

Not really. I made some butter from a bag of shake someone gave me (they were going to throw it out otherwise). Made a litre of 5mg/ml give or take after diluting, so about 5000mg. Cost about $20 for the jars, coconut oil etc.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Obsidianheart posted:

I slept it off pretty hard (I know the doctors say don't sleep, whatever).

That's a myth. Unless you're showing signs of brain hemorrhage, sleeping is a good way to treat concussions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mooey Cow posted:

That's a myth. Unless you're showing signs of brain hemorrhage, sleeping is a good way to treat concussions.

There’s a caveat to that, though, where in the period after the concussion you should wake someone up periodically to make sure there’s no changes to mentation. The real hazard of sleeping after a head injury is no one being able to notice that you’ve gone loopy or lost your coordination.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Outrail posted:

If you want a higher audience dump it in GBS and try to ignore the shitposters.

I will be ruthless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

That sounds...expensive.

100mg worth of edibles is like 20 bucks at any shop here in CA. :shrug:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't think you would be able to tell apart being unconscious and merely unable to form memories :aaaaa:

With one, you wake up. With the other, you suddenly find yourself in the middle of doing stuff.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

I will be ruthless.

When I get around to it I would encourage poo poo posting about it. Epilepsy sucks buttholes but at least I can make everyone around me supremely uncomfortable joking about drowning in the shower.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

deadeyez posted:

When I get around to it I would encourage poo poo posting about it. Epilepsy sucks buttholes but at least I can make everyone around me supremely uncomfortable joking about drowning in the shower.

Your thread, your rules. But I think I gots that myoclonic poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Hey OP I like bludgeons too and it's interesting to look up the history of how humans use them. A club to the head was pretty common throughout history as a way of knocking someone out, but we've always had problems with people just sometimes not ever waking up and/or dying. That's why they teach cops to not hit your head with the clubs anymore. For most of recorded history a blunt object to the head was considered an adequate way of rendering someone incapacitated though. Maybe like a 10% chance you kill the person? It can't be super high otherwise I doubt they would have used clubs to knock people out for as long as they did. On the other hand it can't be super low otherwise we'd still be hitting people in the head with clubs to knock them out. Seems like finding statistics for this kind of thing could be hard but who knows maybe they are out there