Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Kheldarn posted:

The way adding friends in this game keeps throwing me off. I'm so used to getting the option to add someone as a friend after whatever battle I use them in, so I keep forgetting to add them before I start.

Also, am I the only one who'd love to see a Dissidia Dragon Quest Opera Omnia?

I also wish I could choose to unfollow someone during or after the fight, if I use them and it turns out they've moved around their skills like assholes or don't equip their crystal passives etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grabbed Setzer EX in about 100 tickets and 10k gems. No need to worry about the Setzer+Vanille+Serah banner now! Next targets for this month are hopefully Relm and Leon. Then the awaited Sherlotta.

Ramuh grind the biggest pushover so far. Setzer+Quistis friend can usually beat him without him even getting a turn.

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

what, you don't like pizza?

Kawalimus posted:

Grabbed Setzer EX in about 100 tickets and 10k gems. No need to worry about the Setzer+Vanille+Serah banner now! Next targets for this month are hopefully Relm and Leon. Then the awaited Sherlotta.

Ramuh grind the biggest pushover so far. Setzer+Quistis friend can usually beat him without him even getting a turn.

Congrats!

I was on a tear last night as well. Setzer EX in 5k (single multi), then unexpectedly Yuna EX in 10 tickets. Then for shits and giggles another 4 tickets got me a Ramza EX (albeit a dupe). Farming Ramuh is quite a nice relaxing change after Shiva.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ramuh is a pushover with Setzer and Quistis friend, and over adequate other DPS.

Still throwing tickets at Setzer for that EX, somewhere over 150. Not like I need them until Ace EX+ anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blew through almost all of my resources last night trying to get Prompto's EX, and walked away with his 15 and 35 MLB'd, along with Freya's 15 and 35s MLB'd.

Tossed some of the Tickets we got today at Prompto, and got his EX. Threw a few at Setzer and got his EX.

What can I say? Prompto is one of my favorite FF characters, and really, that's what you save resources for: To go all in on your favorite(s).

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Yeah, and luckily this game offers you plenty of opportunities to rebuild your stash. It's not like other horrible games where you have to save for literal months and still might get screwed in the end.

Ramuh is easy peasy. He rarely gets a turn except when RNG is a real b and even then it's no big deal. The Cosmos fight was almost just as easy. I can kind of see why they're fast-tracking us to Chaos difficulty and EX+

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just started playing because the game looks great on the iPhone 11 and it scratches the "RPG battle grinding" itch. Am I like 100+ hours of gameplay away from where you guys currently are? Am I still in 2nd grade math while you're all taking advanced calculus?

The game just tosses free currency/characters/items at me like there's no tomorrow, which is really cool. I feel like I'll get my worth out of it after unlocking dozens of characters and not even reach the paywall.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I just started playing because the game looks great on the iPhone 11 and it scratches the "RPG battle grinding" itch. Am I like 100+ hours of gameplay away from where you guys currently are? Am I still in 2nd grade math while you're all taking advanced calculus?

The game just tosses free currency/characters/items at me like there's no tomorrow, which is really cool. I feel like I'll get my worth out of it after unlocking dozens of characters and not even reach the paywall.

If you aren't throwing your gems away willy nilly (like I did when I started) they will last you a long long time. Coming in just now, you've missed some really amazing units, and the hardest difficulty is coming very soon. I wouldn't say 100+ hours of gameplay but you've got a decent amount of grinding to do to get caught up.

That said, there are always more powerful characters coming (Sherlotta in late November, Ultimecia in late December) and handfuls of less powerful but still important characters in between! With the way characters are released and get reworks, there's always a way to get caught up quickly. Feel free to hop into the Discord to ask any burning questions you have, there's usually always someone around.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Most of what you're behind on is an *enormous* stash of easily farmable story quests/Lost Chapters/other super easy content that will yield an absurd amount of gems.

For the first while just play whatever you like, but it's worth investing in an AOE damage dealer like Rinoa/Squall/Golbez/Kuja/Setzer/many others. Even without a full kit of EX/35/15 having one around is super helpful for farming the hundreds of low level quests you'll be working through for those sweet sweet gems.

Otherwise DFFOO is like no other gacha game on the market. You'll be able to earn plenty of gems to guarantee an EX every other month, plus all the gems from story quests/Lost Chapters/etc means you'll have a ton of currency to spend. As long as you don't waste it all it's entirely reasonable you'd have the hot meta team of the moment within two or three months. Once you have a solid team of three fully kitted out with their EX/35/15 you can actually afford to throw tickets or even sometimes gems at your favorites even if they aren't very powerful.

Be cautious with your gems like with all gacha games at first, but you'll likely find yourself in a spot by the end of the year that you could afford to burn a few chasing someone you like. Or if you're like me you can snag the top 2-3 meta characters every quarter and crush all the hard content.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This game really is generous with the currency. Yesterday, as I posted above, I blew through most of my resources trying for Prompto's EX. I was sitting on 3,000 Gems and 50 Tickets. I'm already up to 13,500 Gems and 76 Tickets.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kheldarn posted:

This game really is generous with the currency. Yesterday, as I posted above, I blew through most of my resources trying for Prompto's EX. I was sitting on 3,000 Gems and 50 Tickets. I'm already up to 13,500 Gems and 76 Tickets.
It's so generous that it seems like the cash prices in the store are unacceptably high if you ever even wanted to buy anything, right? Is it just to exploit whales?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

It's so generous that it seems like the cash prices in the store are unacceptably high if you ever even wanted to buy anything, right? Is it just to exploit whales?

Pretty much, yeah. The gem store is never worth it (except for green hair Terra) and some spreadsheet at SE says those prices are what get them the most money from whales.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am no longer free to play since i spent money on lightning's costume so i could use the gems to mercy her ex, but this is by far the easiest game to be completely free to play in and still keep up with new content. it might require you to do your homework about upcoming banners, and get a little lucky sometimes, but they throw out enough free tickets and gems that it is very doable.

when you're new, just getting a few good meta characters maxed out means you can do almost everything. the real trick is being able to pull on your actual final fantasy favorites AND the meta bait. i don't give two shits about sherlotta or ultimecia, but i'll try to roll cause people tell me they're very good for a while.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

If you buy a costume but want to be F2P just dump the acquired gems into books/tomes/artifacts of all knowledge. Inventory another option if you haven't expanded.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
But if you buy a costume you're not f2p? Isn't it about spending money on the game? Or has f2p morphed into some kind of persona.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

But if you buy a costume you're not f2p? Isn't it about spending money on the game? Or has f2p morphed into some kind of persona.

I've always thought of it more about the in-game currency for draws. Cosmetics are a whole different type of thing. But you can't buy a cosmetic in this without the gems. Lots of people want the option to get a costume without having to buy the gems with it. So that's an alternative.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...nah if you spend money on the game you're not playing for free. it's not a state of mind :v

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’d buy a costume for like 10€, the bundles they got are too expensive for me to justify though, gems or no gems.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

cams posted:

...nah if you spend money on the game you're not playing for free. it's not a state of mind :v

Its about currency totals. Ive seen others do the same thing. Ive bought 3 costumes and i dump gems into tomes each time they go on sale to get rid of the blood money. I still have 325k!!

I bought Green Hair terra, ramza, and layle tuxedo. Layle was a dumb mistake but dont regret the other two. I use the google opinion rewards to knock some of the price off. Probably wont get anymore unless they do something really good

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 3, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: USING FACEBOOK FOR BACKING UP DATA IS GOING AWAY! :siren:

https://twitter.com/DissidiaFFOO/status/1179969476499927042
https://twitter.com/DissidiaFFOO/status/1179969563326201856
https://twitter.com/DissidiaFFOO/status/1179972808048119808

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In an ideal world this would mean we could use multiple devices but I doubt they'll change that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have some downtime between events (finally!), so I'm trying to clear Act 2, Chapter 4. List tiles? WTF is this poo poo?

This chapter is already too damned long, and then they run out of room to have MORE quests and cutscenes, so they do this? C'mon guys! You're better than this! This is WAY to many quests and cutscenes for just one friggin' character being added to the roster.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
At least the writing in that chapter is about a billion times better than that of the prior 3. Not that it's anything to really write home about but boy howdy that Cecil chapter was awful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Free gems are free gems!

Speaking of, new character event tonight, Alphinaud. Word on the grapevine is that he's not all that great. So..probably don't pull?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I heard he's good with his EX+, but that's not till his LC. Also Yda's EX+ is supposedly good. Better to wait till the LC if you want these characters.

In my case though, I needed to dump some tickets to make room for the event tickets. And ended up getting Yda's EX! The more the merrier. And got a nice head start on Alphi's 15 with a few copies, but didn't get his 35. But if I decide to go for him in 9 months I have it started at least.

After Yda's EX draw I pulled a little more to maybe secure a few more copies of her stuff and yikes--had a dry streak of about 60 tickets!! Ended by an off-banner eiko. No good! But that's ok. Tickets are a pretty fungible resource. I did get the last copy of her 15 that I needed from a random gem draw I threw in. But was just a 1/11.

Next draw I plan to do is Relm!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Good
Autumn Festival starts Thursday. Halloween co-op quests, seasonal themed Choco Panels, and double Daily Mission rewards.

There will also be some draws where the first multi pull is free.

Act 2, Chapter 5 is launching, and Locke's Even is being rerun.

Cap raised to 70 for Locke, Serah, Aerith, and Ace.

A new Raid Boss on Monday.

The Bad
Noel is being added to the game.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 10, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Double Post:

https://twitter.com/DissidiaFFOO/status/1182022994467725313

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Locke's event is returning, it's specifically not his Lost Chapter. I assume if you've already completed his event you won't get the gems for doing it again but who knows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does that new player drive mean I should hold off until it launches or jump in and try to get through the tutorial and do what few stages I can for the current event that will be ending?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does that new player drive mean I should hold off until it launches or jump in and try to get through the tutorial and do what few stages I can for the current event that will be ending?

No reason to not hop in now and do what you can. The beauty of not having a stamina system for most of the game is that you can stop and do something else without trying to balance your resources.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Hmmmm whiffed on the free pull, but I’m really tempted to throw gems at the Cloud banner. Free pull makes it only 70k to pity Cloud, and in a triple EX banner odds of getting a bonus Squall or Lightning EX are pretty decent.

Definitely buying WoL from the EX shop. :woop:

Edit: oh hey, we also get a free pull on the Noel banner. Might as well do that before bed...

Nice!

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 10, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Squall/Cloud/Lightning Triple Threat Banner freebie got me Lightning EX.

Locke Banner freebie got me 3 copies of his 15 CP Weapon. As I already own it, that's an MLBing right there.

Also, they didn't reset rewards for Locke. Or even add Character Tokens. No point for me to do it again, but it's good for new players!

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 10, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grabbed Locke EX in less than 10 tickets. Heck yes! Some random BS ticket draws that I was hoping just for Locke 15/35 copies or a noctis 35 which I also got on the free draw. Did some further draws and got another copy of Locke 15 for the MLB, another copy of Locke 35, then filled in the rest with powerstones. Always kind of wanted him but never wanted to chase his EX. Noel can suck it, don't care how good he is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kawalimus posted:

Noel can suck it, don't care how good he is.

From everything I'm reading he's good, but totally skippable if you have Noctis, Vayne, or pretty much any other decent DPS character. His EX fell into my lap thanks to the free pull so I'll probably max him out, but I wouldn't have even spent tickets chasing him.

Decided to dump all my tickets into the triple EX banner and about 130ish tickets in I've got two copies of Squall EX, no Cloud or Lightning yet. I'll throw whatever tickets I get while the banner is around at it and if I whiff on Cloud I'll do the same with the Cloud/Vincent banner.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm the Dissidia OO newb, so I'm still just enjoying the massive amount of quests and free poo poo they throw at me while grinding auto-battle stuff, but I have a question:

Anyone have any thoughts on Mobius Final Fantasy? I've recently started that up as well and it seems like another fun auto-battle grinder that you don't really have to spend any money on. It's very pretty with good music, too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

I'm the Dissidia OO newb, so I'm still just enjoying the massive amount of quests and free poo poo they throw at me while grinding auto-battle stuff, but I have a question:

Anyone have any thoughts on Mobius Final Fantasy? I've recently started that up as well and it seems like another fun auto-battle grinder that you don't really have to spend any money on. It's very pretty with good music, too.

The massive amount of quests and free poo poo lasts waaaaaaaay past when you're a newb. I've still got several full Lost Chapters left untouched, half the storyline hard modes, and a bunch of other stuff left to grind gems from. You're seriously at least six months of playing every single day for several hours away from running out of free gems to grind, so take it easy and only do as much as is fun.

I never picked up Mobius but everything I've heard about it has been extremely negative. Not really sure about the details, but I'd have to imagine there's a thread somewhere in Games. Even Brave Exvius has a thread and that's one of the worst gacha games on the market.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I played it for a while. Quit after season 1 ended. Just got kind of tired of it. It was ok, had its cool periods and stuff and some of the story parts and specials were fun. But kind of monotonous after a while. I played it here and there, back when I played FFRK. Now I play this with FFBE on the side.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This game and FF Record Keeper are definitely the ones I'd recommend for someone seeking a fun FF-themed phone game that has a lot of stuff to do and doesn't absolutely break your back with microtransaction poo poo or have an unfair, miserly gacha.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Record Keeper is the other one I could recommend in good conscience. I played it for a lot of years, still log in and do pulls during Fests. It's not as generous as Dissidia Opera Omnia, but it's still pretty good.

The problem I find with FFRK now is that years of piling one system on top of the other have made it a convoluted mess that would make Disgaea fans blush. If you're someone who enjoys that kind of complexity FFRK is a perfect title to sink your teeth into. I'd imagine it'd be pretty overwhelming to start fresh though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I quit RK when it got absurd with how many relics you had to draw. When they introduced "glints" I just couldn't do it anymore. I used to love that game though. I was obsessed with it. Have they had anymore final bosses like a Safer Seph or anyone like that make an appearance? Only ones I know of that appeared were Chaos from FFI and Braska's Final Aeon from X(I know Yu Yevon was actually the last guy but I consider that the actual final boss fight)

So far this game has been really good about not overloading the gacha with different relic types, and giving us the weapon token system to get the 35cp weapons that we missed, and handing out a free copy of each 15. And keeping armors on the token system. Hopefully this stays the case when the "Burst" era begins. Wonder what those will be like.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 10, 2019