Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

That just gives you more time to run Gau, Gladio, and Cor and off turn everything to death. If you've got all your buffs up and the enemy does an all attack, that's 10 brave dumps on their turns while also adding further boosts to the force gauge.

Off turn meta is the best meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you started after the last banner with Garnet BT, or didn't manage to get her BT on it, she's coming back on the next banner. She's still overtuned and broken, because her BT didn't release in JP until June of this year, so none of the content is tuned to it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

If you started after the last banner with Garnet BT, or didn't manage to get her BT on it, she's coming back on the next banner. She's still overtuned and broken, because her BT didn't release in JP until June of this year, so none of the content is tuned to it.

So is that broken in a good way, or a useless way? I'm still getting the hang of the hard content, so I'll take Broken Good if that's the case.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The Zombie Guy posted:

So is that broken in a good way, or a useless way? I'm still getting the hang of the hard content, so I'll take Broken Good if that's the case.

Basically sleep through almost every bit of content prior to shinryu with Garnet and a few other units. She'll be bad here for a few months due to the game getting weird about which elements you can use but then she'll be broken again.

If you're still playing catch up with anything, Garnet is a very very good pick up. Also if you don't have Cor get Cor. Get Cor.

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Also if you don't have Cor get Cor. Get Cor.

Do I need to max out Cor's FR weapon, or his Force Enhancement levels? (I pulled 2 of his FR weapons, and only have like 12 High Power Stones which I was planning to save for Rinoa next week...)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

happyalloy posted:

Do I need to max out Cor's FR weapon, or his Force Enhancement levels? (I pulled 2 of his FR weapons, and only have like 12 High Power Stones which I was planning to save for Rinoa next week...)

Force stuff is only really important for Shinryu level stuff but Cor is a pretty solid choice to max out if you like offturn damage like traps and countertanks. It's not overwhelmingly busted, but it's still a worker. As for Force Enhancement, TECHNICALLY all those do is increase your damage and your force gauge charge speed, so they're not 100% mandatory to clear content but they can make the difference between eating an extra force time from the enemy and not having to do so.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 6, 2022

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I managed to barely squeak out a win against the raid boss, with only Boosted peeps and no friend summon:

Feels good man.

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Force stuff is only really important for Shinryu level stuff but Cor is a pretty solid choice to max out if you like offturn damage like traps and countertanks. It's not overwhelmingly busted, but it's still a worker. As for Force Enhancement, TECHNICALLY all those do is increase your damage and your force gauge charge speed, so they're not 100% mandatory to clear content but they can make the difference between eating an extra force time from the enemy and not having to do so.

Well, getting Gladio and Cor up to FE 23 was what finally made the different in being able to clear some Shinryu fights finally. Getting to Force Time before the enemy makes a big difference, and was what I was probably missing when seeing people say how Gladio and Cor can trivialize content but mine couldn't seal the deal. In case that helps anyone else!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

happyalloy posted:

Well, getting Gladio and Cor up to FE 23 was what finally made the different in being able to clear some Shinryu fights finally. Getting to Force Time before the enemy makes a big difference, and was what I was probably missing when seeing people say how Gladio and Cor can trivialize content but mine couldn't seal the deal. In case that helps anyone else!

Gladio and Cor also work good in Shinryu content with counter-based characters that don't care who gets targeted (Beatrix, Gau), constant offturn damage (Freya, Kain), or trap-based characters who want enemies to take a lot of turns (Fujin, Faris, Ace) since those procs all buff Cor's FR too.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Can one of y'all help me understand what I'm doing wrong?
I've taken a couple stabs at the Griffin bosses, but nothing I'm doing is making their countdown go up. The wording of it made me think I just needed Def Down debuffs on the Griffin, which would make it take more damage.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've taken a couple stabs at the Griffin bosses, but nothing I'm doing is making their countdown go up. The wording of it made me think I just needed Def Down debuffs on the Griffin, which would make it take more damage.

Haven’t played this one yet, but the clue is always to look at what’s in the banner that drops at the same time as that content. The headliner character has something that will satisfy that condition.

The worst are the FR conditions. They make them specific enough that the new FR, and ONLY the new FR, will meet the conditions to shut down the enemy’s force gauge and effects.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

The Zombie Guy posted:

You'll want Kurasame for this. The Hyoro debuff from his skills makes enemies take more HP damage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Draga posted:

You'll want Kurasame for this. The Hyoro debuff from his skills makes enemies take more HP damage.

Any debuff that increases HP damage will work, and those are pretty common nowdays. (If you need help, tonberrytroupe's infographics go over what each debuff in a character's kit does, but other examples also include the debuff from Aerith's Seal Evil followup now)

That said, if your problem is that it only caps off at 14 instead of 15, that's just due to the way the game counts the orb ticks: it adds any bonuses first and then takes away any the countdown amount, so you'll hit the cap and then it'll drop one for your turn ending.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 19, 2022

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Couple of questions for y'all:

For Ultima weapons, do you folks usually make one of each type before improving each one, or do you pick one and go all in?

Does the Summon you equip really make much difference? I've been keeping Brothers equipped most of the time, because I got it leveled up to 50 and it hits like a truck.

It's been about 2 months since I moved over from Record Keeper, and I'm enjoying the game. I think my favourite part is having status effects that actually work on bosses.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
UW: I have maxed the ones that my main Shinryu party use (fist, unique, spear). Basic UWs don't add much honestly.

Brothers is default for everyone right now, as you say. Very occasionally, the bonus from the others is relevant -- Alexander when you have no healing, Pandy for launch teams, Shiva's framed BRV freeze, Ramuh's framed paralysis.

Cadiem
Oct 9, 2007
Once a month you can deconstruct a UW and get everything you put into it back. You won't be stuck if you end up getting a character that uses a different weapon type that you've built up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Worth noting that unlike High Armors, Ultima Weapons only benefit the character equipped with it, so you absolutely want to prioritize them more for your DPS and less for your healers or low-damage supports.

Generally the best returns are on burst-mode damage rushers, which tend to be in Sword or Unique, but it all depends on who you're most likely to use.

E: Absolutely avoid Throwing, Bow, and Whip unless you're set on kitting out a favorite; the former two tend to be lower damage support units, and the last has a whopping three whole people who use it (Seven, Rydia, and Quistis).

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 24, 2022

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

So new Halloween banners dropped, and I think I'll be throwing some pulls at that one with 3 different Burst weapons on there. Golbez is one of my FFRK favs, so I'm glad to get him some fun toys.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Just as a warning: Golbez is 7/10 even fully maxed out. You can make him work but he's definitely getting left in the lurch and it sucks cause Golbez owns.

This is of course from a very late game perspective; Golbez will tear rear end if you're playing catch up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SLIDES TIME :siren:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

When I started playing, I skipped over the Moogle Pass stuff, and I never read up on what it did. Now that a new story event dropped, I took a look at it again. I used to make the odd dollar pull playing FFRK, using the bits of change I'd get from Google surveys. I look at the Moogle Pass, and I see all the resource boosts, and improved passive abilities, and I think ok, that's all good, but how much? I wouldn't shy at spending like $5 a month for this...

Oh, it's how much?

It's loving $52 a month? Ha, no, I don't think I'll be doing that. Nice try though guys.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

When I started playing, I skipped over the Moogle Pass stuff, and I never read up on what it did. Now that a new story event dropped, I took a look at it again. I used to make the odd dollar pull playing FFRK, using the bits of change I'd get from Google surveys. I look at the Moogle Pass, and I see all the resource boosts, and improved passive abilities, and I think ok, that's all good, but how much? I wouldn't shy at spending like $5 a month for this...

Oh, it's how much?

It's loving $52 a month? Ha, no, I don't think I'll be doing that. Nice try though guys.

That's the premium pass for people bad with money. The regular one is $5 month.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HPanda posted:

That's the premium pass for people bad with money. The regular one is $5 month.

Yeah, they list the expensive-rear end one first, and I'm not sure what your currency is (so I'll list comparative in USD)

Basically what you need to know:

"MogPass Basic"/$5 USD mogpass:
- increases max Enhancement Points earned per event from 5000 to 15000 (this is the big endgame bottleneck into the foreseeable future)
- Makes grinding Enhancement Points and summon points 2.5x faster
- Guarantees maxed out/red passive abilities when you merge artifacts (both of these are qol)
- Gives you a spattering of gems because they apparently can't sell things without gachabux attached
- Is buried at the bottom of the menu underneath the more expensive option

"MogPass Premium"/$37 USD mogpass:
- Increases max Enhancement Points earned per event to 30000
- Makes grinding Enhancement Points 4x faster (summon points remain 2.5x)
- Guarantees red passives on artifacts
- Gives you bonus ultima weapon bits with every event
- Gives you about one 11-draw worth of gems along with tokens for half an EX weapon and 2/50ths of a Burst weapon. (lol rofl)
- Is the "we'll give you a free one to get you hooked" that every account gets.

It's worth noting that character cosmetics cost about $37 as well (and come with something like 2 11-pulls worth of gems, there is no cheaper option) unlike FFRK's price of "alternate character sprites are completely free and earned in events".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 4, 2022

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

KataraniSword posted:

- Gives you about one 11-draw worth of gems along with tokens for half an EX weapon and 2/50ths of a Burst weapon. (lol rofl)

1 mogpass token can be exchanged for 5 burst tokens so it's actually 1/5th of a burst weapon for each one you buy, which is probably one of the main reasons to bother getting premium over the regular version if you like making bad financial decisions and are impatient as hell like I am.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I already don't have anywhere near enough BT materials to max most of the ones I get. I can't imagine buying more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AnotherGamer posted:

1 mogpass token can be exchanged for 5 burst tokens so it's actually 1/5th of a burst weapon for each one you buy, which is probably one of the main reasons to bother getting premium over the regular version if you like making bad financial decisions and are impatient as hell like I am.

Ah, I misremembered, I just remember them only being exchangeable for burst tokens or ex/armor tomes (why?)

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm in Act 3, Chapter 5, and trying to do the Lufenia fight against this thing:

My understanding was that debuffs were the key here, but it doesn't seem to matter how many are up. What am I missing here.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm in Act 3, Chapter 5, and trying to do the Lufenia fight against this thing:

My understanding was that debuffs were the key here, but it doesn't seem to matter how many are up. What am I missing here.

It has to be a Stacking Debuff.

According to the Tonberry Troupe page:

Bring long lasting stacked debuffs to play it safe along with counter/trap units to respect the orb
Jegran BT friend can leave behind it's Crystallization debuff with 3 stacks ensuring something can tick the orb
Pushing past an HP threshold where Jegran's Core boosts it's stats while inflicted with the appropriate debuff can also tick up the orb making racing the orb possible with strong damage and minimal boss turns
Setzer's rainbows and freeze may prove helpful for the end of the fight with high DEF, reductions and keep party safe with Freeze
Maria, Porom and Auron are also great choices to keep party safe

And Dissidia Compendium lists the following for characters with Stacking Debuffs:
Seymour, Yuri, Seven, Fran, Cinque, Exdeath, Jack, Edward, Kurasame, Kadaj, and Jegran.

If you have him built, I'd go with Kurasame, since the debuffs from his Hyoro are pretty good. Everything except for his S1 applies it, and his S1 adds +1 Stack to it. It also goes up by +1 every time the target acts, which you need to happen here, so that the Orb will tick up. Just be aware that Hyoro will reset to 1 Stack after the enemy takes a turn with it at 5 Stacks, so you'll want to get another Stack on him A.S.A.P..

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Kurasame did the trick, thanks for the help. The intricacies of which specific mechanic the counter wants isn't always easy to suss out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Kurasame did the trick, thanks for the help. The intricacies of which specific mechanic the counter wants isn't always easy to suss out.

Yeah, they're frustratingly vague about things like that. Your best bet is to check the Lufenia Archive for pre-Luf+ fights, or the Lufenia+ Research page. Tonberry Troupe is a great resource for things like that, and when you add the Characters page of Dissidia Compendium to filter things, you can quickly see what kind of team should work.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm slowly starting to build up some well developed characters, the only thing choking my progress is resources. I feel that DFFOO is way more item grindy than FFRK was, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, back to my current quandary. I have enough materials to LB and max out the Burst weapons for 1 character. My options are Garland, Locke, Yuri, Rinoa, and Ardyn. I have all of their other gear and boards filled, etc. Are one of them particularly useful / broken when fully maxed, or is it just a case of pick whichever one I like best?
I'm feeling that Garland sits on a lower tier than the others, so I've pretty much scratched him off the list. The other 4 have all been very useful in battle, so I'm having a hard time choosing which one to boost.

As an added bonus, I'm about 3 tokens short of being able to buy a Burst weapon for somebody else. I'm leaning towards Sephiroth or Vaan, because I have all of their other kit. But before I go that direction, is there any game-breakingly good picks that are worth scooping up to build a character around? I've read a few times that Kain is easy to build up from scratch, just buying stuff from the token stores. Is there a really good choice on the BT market that I should be aiming for?

Thanks for the input goons.

E: I almost feel bad, using Ardyn for multiplayer, because it's just me getting 15 turns in a row.

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 11, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Rinoa without a doubt. She's an insane AoE DPS.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Of those you listed, Rinoa is the best choice by a huge margin.

As for BT Token, if you want Rinoa But For Single Target, get Tifa. Even without her Force Weapon, she still shits out ST damage like crazy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Of those you listed, Rinoa is the best choice by a huge margin.

As for BT Token, if you want Rinoa But For Single Target, get Tifa. Even without her Force Weapon, she still shits out ST damage like crazy.

I've got Tifa's BT maxed already, along with Garnet and Lunafreya. And yeah Tifa shits out damage like nobody's business.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SLIDES TIME! :siren:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Man Maria's outfits are super silly

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shoenin posted:

Man Maria's outfits are super silly

That they are. That one is based on her look in the opening FMV from the PSX version of the game.

Meanwhile, Seymour's over there wearing a nice hat.

For a clown to wear.

To the circus.

Idiot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SLIDES TIME! :siren:

The Fell Angel Co-Op Event is a Global First event.

The next stream doesn't have a date, but will be 1/26, 1/27, 1/28, or 1/29, and it will be the 5th Anniversary Stream.

It'll also have some special items they'll be giving away during the stream. They're being created exclusivly for this.

Finally, the next stream will also reveal a new Global First.

Happy Holidays!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Since FFRK closed, I've been waiting to jump on the Opera Omnia train when Jack shows up so I can do rerolls and such. Are any of these banners particularly ideal to hop in on? If not, I'll just go for that one with Rydia. And what gear would I want to shoot for to get him (and anyone else) pretty strong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Sesq posted:

Since FFRK closed, I've been waiting to jump on the Opera Omnia train when Jack shows up so I can do rerolls and such. Are any of these banners particularly ideal to hop in on? If not, I'll just go for that one with Rydia. And what gear would I want to shoot for to get him (and anyone else) pretty strong?

In Opera Omnia, characters want a copy of all of their weapons. This means their 15 cp, 35 cp, EX, LD, FR (they are bringing these out at a rate of 1 per event), and BT (currently being brought out at one every three events). You don't need to pull for the first three, since you can get them for free by exchanging tokens, but LD and FRs are only available on the banners that the character is on. BT weapons currently appear on three banners before the next BT cycle, but only one of those banners has the rest of that character's kit.

For example, Rydia's event features two banners: Both have Rydia, Firion, and Yuffie's currently complete kits, but one also has Jack's BT weapon, and the other has Firion's BT weapon only. Jack's other weapons are on the his own banner, and it also has his BT.

Be aware that Jack's banner and Rydia's banner will overlap for several days, and both have free pulls, so see what you get for free before deciding what to go in on.

More importantly though, February is the 5th anniversary. According to the livestream, we are getting a global first something. This could be just a weapon (a FR or a FR and BT), or a new character (they would have everything up to a FR, and possibly a BT as well). Global first characters/weapons tend to be absurdly overpowered, so that banner will be a must pull. We also might have the 50+1 banner that JP got for their anniversary, which guarantees 50 weapons from a pool of every weapon currently in the game, plus a random character's BT weapon.